Conquer Club

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 4)

Discuss Mafia Games, roles, ideas for games, mechanics, and everything else related to the game here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 4)

Postby StorrZerg on Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:56 pm

Thingyman wrote:INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 4)

Hello everyone! :)

I would very much like to invite Conquerclub to take part in Season 4 of the Mafia Championship.

The Mafia Championship is an annual online tournament series that pits representatives from various forum Mafia (aka Werewolf) communities against one another as they compete to determine the Internet’s greatest forum Mafia player. Each participating community democratically elects one person to represent them and become their “Champion”.

Season 1 ran in 2013-2014, while Season 2 and Season 3 ran in 2015 and 2016, respectively. As of Season 3, a total of 160 communities have been represented in the Mafia Championship, making it the largest cross-forum event on the Internet.

I hope that all this sounds very exciting to you guys :)

1. Do you accept the invite?

If your community wishes to participate, please confirm your participation to me before April 20 to ensure yourselves a spot. If you need more time than this to think about whether you wish to participate, let me know and I can extend the deadline.

If you agree to participate, the deadline for selecting your representative is April 23. If this is too soon for you, again, just let me know :)

The games will take place on Mafia Universe. If it’s okay, I can link directly to the general discussion thread regarding this topic on Mafia Universe.

Important notes
  • You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
  • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
  • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.
  • Relevant only to communities that participated last season: Season 3 Finalists are not eligible to play again this season.

2. Season 4 Format

The tournament structure
  • 135 communities will participate, each sending one representative.
  • 9 Qualifying Games will be played consisting of 15 players each. I.e. every representative plays in one Qualifying Game. 1 player will advance directly to the Finale Game from each Qualifying Game. The players themselves vote post-game to determine who is deserving of advancement. I.e. 9 of the 15 finalists will be found this way.
  • A Jury consisting of finalists from Season 3 will along with me discuss and vote to determine a group of 30 wildcard players who will play in 2 Semi Final Wildcard Games. From each of these two games, three players will directly advance to the Finale Game.
  • The Finale Game is played. Once it has completed, the players vote to determine who shall hold the title of Season 4 Champion.

The setup

MOUNTAINOUS:
12 Vanilla Townies
3 Mafia Goons

We’re going back to basics for Season 4. Each season we’re changing it up, and for this season it’s finally time to play without any power roles or abilities at all. Pure mafia. You have only yourself and your reading/bluffing abilities to count on.

Relevant mechanics info
  • Day start.
  • Deadline Lynch w/ Option for Majority starting Day 2. I.e. when day timer runs out, person with most votes will be lynched. However, day can also be ended early (starting Day 2) if there is ever a majority of votes on one person.
  • If there is a tied lynch, one of the tied players will be randomly lynched.
  • No outside communication. I.e. you may not contact the other players outside of the thread (unless you are Mafia and wish to speak with your teammates).
  • Phase Lengths and Deadlines will be up to the players themselves (I’ll organize them into games with deadlines that suit their preferences of 12 hours, 36 hours, and 72 hours.).
  • Thread is locked during Night Phases.

3. Season 4 Timeline

The first Qualifying Game is currently set to start April 24th. Additional games will take place in the 1-3 months following. I will create a Doodle and find out the best times to start the various games so that preferably everyone gets to play during a time that suits them well.

Kind regards,
Thingyman

Should be a fun event. People who are interested, note the day phase time max is 72 hours, it will be expected to be quite active.
I'll forward contact info/ coordinate our representative.
Major StorrZerg

Re: INVITATION TO THE MAFIA CHAMPIONSHIP (SEASON 4)

Postby StorrZerg on Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:59 pm

I'll nominate strike wolf to start.
Major StorrZerg

Postby dakky21 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:03 pm

Strike is low on time lately. I'd nominate Wing but he is also low on time. Then... my nomination goes to DDS.
Captain dakky21

Postby StorrZerg on Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:04 pm

maybe wing can make the time.
Major StorrZerg

Postby DirtyDishSoap on Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:40 pm

dakky21 wrote:Strike is low on time lately. I'd nominate Wing but he is also low on time. Then... my nomination goes to DDS.

Vote Dakky

Lynch this guy, get outta here!
Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:taking medical advice from this creature; a morbidly obese man who is 100% convinced he willed himself into becoming a woman.

Your obsession with mrswdk is really sad.

ConfederateSS wrote:Just because people are idiots... Doesn't make them wrong.
Corporal 1st Class DirtyDishSoap

Postby dakky21 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:18 pm

DirtyDishSoap wrote:
dakky21 wrote:Strike is low on time lately. I'd nominate Wing but he is also low on time. Then... my nomination goes to DDS.

Vote Dakky

Lynch this guy, get outta here!

What, I vote for you to represent the CC community and you want me voted out?!?!?! SCUM
Captain dakky21

Postby Epitaph1 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:54 am

StorrZerg wrote:I'll nominate strike wolf to start.

He was the first one to come to mind as well.
StorrZerg wrote:i find no joy in this
Major Epitaph1

Postby StorrZerg on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:24 am

Mets?
Major StorrZerg

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:25 pm

Whilst I could make the time. Hyper aggressive Wing..... never ends well....

Strike for me too. Mets is often quite slow to make decisions.
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby Metsfanmax on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:31 pm

Agreed, I'm not the best representative. Of the people who are still around, I'd support strike or Ragian.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby StorrZerg on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:39 pm

WingCmdr Ginkapo wrote:Whilst I could make the time. Hyper aggressive Wing..... never ends well....

Strike for me too. Mets is often quite slow to make decisions.

Different environment. Would probably work out fine imo.
Major StorrZerg

Postby StorrZerg on Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:40 pm

Hehe... becoming more of who can make time rather than deciding from a pool of options lol
Major StorrZerg

Postby strike wolf on Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:11 pm

It could be interesting though admittedly the 22nd through 30th is going to be busy. I could probably make time but admittedly it might not work out. I'm not sure who I would nominate. Mets is a solid player. Nag is also good though still shaking off a bit of rust, imo.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby StorrZerg on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:12 pm

Strike

He can choose between any Monday start date between May 1st to June 19th
Major StorrZerg

Postby nagerous on Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:24 pm

strike wolf wrote:It could be interesting though admittedly the 22nd through 30th is going to be busy. I could probably make time but admittedly it might not work out. I'm not sure who I would nominate. Mets is a solid player. Nag is also good though still shaking off a bit of rust, imo.

I am way too busy unfortunately

Looks interesting though
Captain nagerous

Postby strike wolf on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:49 pm

StorrZerg wrote:Strike

He can choose between any Monday start date between May 1st to June 19th

Frankly, I double checked the time commitment that it would take to actively represent the community in the games in a way that I feel satisfactory and it's too much time that I would have to dedicate to really feel like I'd be representing us well. As much as I'd like to try to give it a shot. I think its better for me to pass now than to end up dropping out in the middle.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:21 pm

StorrZerg wrote:
Thingyman wrote:Important notes
  • You may decide yourselves how you want to elect your representative, but we highly recommend some sort of democratic process (public nominations followed by a poll usually works out well).
  • In addition to electing a representative, you should also name an alternate who will be asked to step in if the first choice needs to back out.
  • Your representative should be prepared for having to read upwards of 500 posts per 24 hours during the early stages of the game. Additionally, there’s a requirement that each player must make at least 10 posts per Game Day. Only active players should apply/participate. I repeat: Your chosen player needs to be able to promise a good amount of activity on a daily basis.
  • Relevant only to communities that participated last season: Season 3 Finalists are not eligible to play again this season.

Should be a fun event. People who are interested, note the day phase time max is 72 hours, it will be expected to be quite active.

The incompetent fools running this dont know how to play Mafia. They are expecting people to spam irrelevant nonesense. Its like they wouldnt actually be surprised by my intended tactic of quoting bohemian rhapsody lyrics till someone noticed. We dont even get 500posts in a full game, and you dont need to. Shouldnt take more than 3 posts to determine someones alignment unless you arent writing quality.

A simple 5 word question is often sufficient to break the game and determine everyones alignment. Everything above that is just to cover for insecurity and incompetence.

So, How do I lodge a formal complaint against their ability to organise and regulate this contest? I do not believe they have sufficient experience to undertake this.
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Postby mandalorian2298 on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:53 pm

WingCmdr Ginkapo wrote:
StorrZerg wrote:

The incompetent fools running this dont know how to play Mafia. They are expecting people to spam irrelevant nonesense. Its like they wouldnt actually be surprised by my intended tactic of quoting bohemian rhapsody lyrics till someone noticed. We dont even get 500posts in a full game, and you dont need to. Shouldnt take more than 3 posts to determine someones alignment unless you arent writing quality.

A simple 5 word question is often sufficient to break the game and determine everyones alignment. Everything above that is just to cover for insecurity and incompetence.

So, How do I lodge a formal complaint against their ability to organise and regulate this contest? I do not believe they have sufficient experience to undertake this.

Wing, if you agree to sign up for this I am volonteering to write daily reports summing up your participation in this game (It could be a separate thread in Mafia Discussions).

If we are voting on this I am adding my vote to the 'Wing' option, all the way.
Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.

Talapus wrote:I'm far more pissed that mandy and his thought process were right from the get go....damn you mandy.
Lieutenant mandalorian2298

Postby StorrZerg on Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:27 pm

WingCmdr Ginkapo wrote:
StorrZerg wrote:

disagree, strongly with your comments. You are one of the more frequent posters that i've played with on this site. Think more like that, its active people playing and the game progresses much quicker than here. If your statement was any where true you would post 3x a day phase max lol. where you post usually more than 3x a day. (the post count was in regards to a 30 person fully active game imo, not the slim down version. )

I've known this guy organizing it, and seen this "mafia championship" since season 1. other communities i've been apart of, Teamliquid, epic mafia, dailymafia, mafia allstars have sent people in. The quality of players is much higher.

Secondly idk how you can complain about their experience to undertake this, since they have been doing this for several seasons all ready. You can easily look up past games and judge for yourself.
Major StorrZerg

Postby Fircoal on Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:13 am

I nominate Skoffin or ga7.
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

Postby Skoffin on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:07 am

I nominate Fircoal, Skittles or Wing.

I have to somewhat agree with Wing there though. 500 posts in 24 hours for a 15 player game? That sounds outright ridiculous, so I can only conclude that majority of the posts are useless and less game related and more just being used as a chatroom. They should taper down the spam to improve the game content.
Everything confuses and enrages me! Raaaargh
Join Discord group for multiplayer gaming and general nonsense.
Lieutenant Skoffin

Postby Skittles! on Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:41 am

I also nominate Skoffin or Wing, or Fircoal, or Mandy. All quality players who have a knack for figuring out alignment and all good posts, and can easily get under people's skin to get the answer they want.

The time commitment is a bit of a worry though, especially with the amount of posts that this organisation thinks it will reach. 500 posts in 24 hours? Does everyone type out a thesis to get the answers they want?
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby Skittles! on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:19 am

I would have also nominated Strike but he has already said it was too time consuming. Guy's a goooooood player.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby strike wolf on Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:02 pm

I say we send Mitch over and ask him to unleash all of his craziness on them. If their forums are still standing after 24 hours then we know that they have found a like mind.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby WingCmdr Ginkapo on Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:11 am

Is there any reason we cant provide guidance to our representative during the game.

They couldnt handle the Mitch.
Major WingCmdr Ginkapo

Next

Return to Mafia Discussions