Conquer Club

Where in the world is Lackattack? {Winner: wcaclimbing}

Comment games, quizzes, trivia, elimination games, etc...

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Where in the world is Lackattack?

Postby colton24 on Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:45 pm

2nd
Highest Rank: Lieutenant | Highest Score: 1641
Mr. Squirrel wrote:
pmchugh wrote:BUMP- one more fool needed :mrgreen:

One fool reporting for duty!

Been around for too long...said things that shouldn't have been said...but all that has changed
Corporal 1st Class colton24

Postby 72o on Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:16 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:Let's ask if is lack east of La Gallarde?

No, Lack is not east of La Gallarde.
Sergeant 72o

Postby wcaclimbing on Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:53 pm

is Lack East of La Garonnette ( 6°40' 33" E ) ?

This will just split the area in half again.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:is Lack East of La Garonnette ( 6°40' 33" E ) ?

Probably a good one, though I'm not going to second it … yet.

Maybe we've used up so many questions we need to ask if he's in Sainte-Maxime? Or perhaps we ask wca's question, then if the answer is no, then we ask for Sainte-Maxime…
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby wcaclimbing on Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:28 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:
wcaclimbing wrote:is Lack East of La Garonnette ( 6°40' 33" E ) ?

Probably a good one, though I'm not going to second it … yet.

Maybe we've used up so many questions we need to ask if he's in Sainte-Maxime? Or perhaps we ask wca's question, then if the answer is no, then we ask for Sainte-Maxime…

well,we have used 14 questions, meaning we have 5 guesses to narrow it down before we have to find the house.
I think we'll be just fine, don't need to start guessing cities.

Postby The Neon Peon on Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:37 pm

Right now it is 12.2km of coastline. (+ the things behind the coastline)

15 - 6.1km
16 - 3.05km
17 - 1.53km
18 - .76km
19 - .38km
20 - house

I think that we can search through a stretch of land .38km wide.

I have a question, that is not part of the 20 questions: When you said "No, Lack is not east of La Gallarde." did you mean "La Gaillarde" (which is the city we were referring to)
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby wcaclimbing on Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:35 pm

I win!

Is Lack at the house found on Route Nationale 98 at the coordinates 43°20'50.82"N 6°42'55.45"E?

I can't find the specific street address for you, because I don't know how to get street addresses from Google maps, but here is the house on Google Maps:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=43%C2%B020%2750.82%22N+++6%C2%B042%2755.45%22E&sll=43.347585,6.715122&sspn=0.000917,0.002642&ie=UTF8&ll=43.347447,6.715337&spn=0.000909,0.002642&t=h&z=19

And a big picture to provide some extra detail, if you want that too:
Click image to enlarge.

To find this, I just made a bunch of educated guesses that got me very close.
1. In all of the street view pictures I saw on google maps, any ones where the sun was in the center of the picture had solid white sky and very bright white water, because the sun would overexpose all the pictures. The sun was also found in the South for every picture I saw. Because the picture we were given had regular colored water but was still sunny, that meant that the house we were looking for was not facing south, but had water to the East of it, so the picture would look like the example we were given. This meant I could rule out any south-facing coastline.

2. I made the assumption that all of the pictures taken in a small area would have been taken at roughly the same time, meaning that the skies would be very, very similar in all the pictures taken in a given area. This meant I could spread out a lot, and pick random streetviews and look for ones with similar cloud cover to what is in Lack's picture, and Lack would certainly nearby. I went through some of the eastern-facing areas looking for skies that had roughly the same cloud cover as our example picture. I was able to find some streetview pictures that had skies that matched our example.

3. I was looking in neighboring street views to try and find the correct one, and I found a cloud formation that was the same across many of the pictures and matched the clouds behind Lack's picture. This told me what direction the camera would be pointing in when it took Lack's picture, and help confirm that I was searching in the right area.

4. The correct house was about 100m down the road from where I was in step 3 from this process.

All in all, it took about an hour.

Please put up another one of these games. This is too much fun!

Postby the.killing.44 on Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:05 pm

=D>

An hour? Jeez wca.
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby wcaclimbing on Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:08 pm

the.killing.44 wrote:=D>

An hour? Jeez wca.

Well, the block of time I spent looking for it just now was about an hour.
But I had been doing plenty of searching earlier on in the game.

Postby jpcloet on Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:05 am

Very Impressive, I started by the Golf Course NE of Sant M. and noticed that the elevation was closer to the coast. Most of the areas I looked at had narrow streets which didn't fit. There is no exact address from that view as the side streets are not labeled. Looks like it may actually belong to the court.
Sergeant 1st Class jpcloet

Postby 72o on Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:59 am

wcaclimbing wrote:I win!

Is Lack at the house found on Route Nationale 98 at the coordinates 43°20'50.82"N 6°42'55.45"E?

I can't find the specific street address for you, because I don't know how to get street addresses from Google maps, but here is the house on Google Maps:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=43%C2%B020%2750.82%22N+++6%C2%B042%2755.45%22E&sll=43.347585,6.715122&sspn=0.000917,0.002642&ie=UTF8&ll=43.347447,6.715337&spn=0.000909,0.002642&t=h&z=19

And a big picture to provide some extra detail, if you want that too:
Click image to enlarge.

To find this, I just made a bunch of educated guesses that got me very close.
1. In all of the street view pictures I saw on google maps, any ones where the sun was in the center of the picture had solid white sky and very bright white water, because the sun would overexpose all the pictures. The sun was also found in the South for every picture I saw. Because the picture we were given had regular colored water but was still sunny, that meant that the house we were looking for was not facing south, but had water to the East of it, so the picture would look like the example we were given. This meant I could rule out any south-facing coastline.

2. I made the assumption that all of the pictures taken in a small area would have been taken at roughly the same time, meaning that the skies would be very, very similar in all the pictures taken in a given area. This meant I could spread out a lot, and pick random streetviews and look for ones with similar cloud cover to what is in Lack's picture, and Lack would certainly nearby. I went through some of the eastern-facing areas looking for skies that had roughly the same cloud cover as our example picture. I was able to find some streetview pictures that had skies that matched our example.

3. I was looking in neighboring street views to try and find the correct one, and I found a cloud formation that was the same across many of the pictures and matched the clouds behind Lack's picture. This told me what direction the camera would be pointing in when it took Lack's picture, and help confirm that I was searching in the right area.

4. The correct house was about 100m down the road from where I was in step 3 from this process.

All in all, it took about an hour.

Please put up another one of these games. This is too much fun!

Congratulations! Also many thanks for the detailed explanation of your deduction process, this will no doubt assist others and make the next game more challenging!

Now I just have to find another member with a cartoon character avatar...
Sergeant 72o

Previous

Return to Forum Games