Conquer Club

Sri Lanka [Version 001]

Map suggestions, ideas and drafts... They all start life on the Drawing Board.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Sri Lanka [Version 001]

Postby chanakam2020 on Mon May 16, 2022 4:04 pm

Map Name: Sri Lanka
Mapmaker(s): chanakam2020
Number of Territories: 35
Special Features: One way assault routes, Conditional borders, Starting neutrals
What Makes This Map Worthy of Being Made:
CC need more maps. There is no Sri Lanka map on CC.

Proposed Gameplay

• The map contain 35 territories [ 25 districts , 9 provincial capitals and 1 National capital].
  • There are 9 Bonus areas which are provinces of Sri Lanka.
  • Districts and Provincial capitals are part of bonuses. (Need to calculate good bonus amounts for each bonus area)
  • National capital is not a part of bonuses.
  • National capital & provincial capitals start as neutrals (neutral 6s to prevent early grabbing of bonuses ? What will be good neutral sizes for them ? )
  • National capital & Provincial capitals can be attacked from districts they are in. [Ex: National capital & Western province capital can be attacked from WE-2 , Southern province capital can be attacked from SO-1 ]
  • National Capital can one way attack provincial capitals.
  • If a player hold a province bonus then from provincial capital of that bonus they can attack any other provincial capitals. (conditional borders)
  • A victory condition ? Some thing like holding National capital + 5 provincial capitals ? What is good ?

Map Images:

Version 001_L (840x800)
Click image to enlarge.

Version 001_S (630x600)
Click image to enlarge.

Layered XCF file Version 001_L
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11-G2it ... sp=sharing
Last edited by chanakam2020 on Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cook chanakam2020

Re: Sri Lanka

Postby lokisgal on Mon May 16, 2022 8:56 pm

can you post a map with more detail? And pm me maybe I can help some
Major lokisgal
SoC Training Adviser

Postby MTIceman41 on Mon May 16, 2022 10:09 pm

Awesome idea here!
Brigadier MTIceman41

Postby chanakam2020 on Mon May 16, 2022 10:13 pm

lokisgal wrote:can you post a map with more detail? And pm me maybe I can help some

Here are big versions of above two images of provinces and districts.
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Locations of province capitals.
Click image to enlarge.

Locations of sea ports.
Click image to enlarge.

Locations of Airports
Click image to enlarge.
Cook chanakam2020

Postby iancanton on Tue May 17, 2022 6:25 pm

chanakam2020 wrote:I suggest a simple classic style map containing 25 territories for districts and 9 bonus areas for provinces.

in 1v1 games, which are the majority on most maps, this is likely to result in too many unfair drops because of the first player starting with one or more bonuses, as nearly all of the bonuses consist of only 2 or 3 regions.

chanakam2020 wrote:If it is too much simple them there are capitals for each 9 provinces. We can use those province capital also for bonuses.
Some thing like 1 troop for 4 capitals, 2 troops for 5 capitals etc.

adding provincial capitals might solve the above problem neatly, if u must hold a provincial capital to gain any district bonuses within that province.

chanakam2020 wrote:Also there are some sea ports and airports around the island too and we may use them for additional connection routes.

on such a small map, this is probably unnecessary.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Hooch on Wed May 18, 2022 2:38 am

There is no Sri Lanka map on CC yet. Sri Lanka to celebrate 75th anniversary of Independence on 2023.

Got a better reason?

Like Fish Buns?
Private 1st Class Hooch

Postby chanakam2020 on Wed May 18, 2022 3:52 pm

iancanton wrote:in 1v1 games, which are the majority on most maps, this is likely to result in too many unfair drops because of the first player starting with one or more bonuses, as nearly all of the bonuses consist of only 2 or 3 regions.

Yes I see the problem. Except Northern Province all the other provinces contain 2 or 3 district. Northern province contain 5 districts.

iancanton wrote:adding provincial capitals might solve the above problem neatly, if u must hold a provincial capital to gain any district bonuses within that province.

As I understood , you are suggesting to add another 9 territories (or 10 if we add national capital too). Am I correct ?
Yes that is good.
And to avoid starting bonus drop problem it is possible to make province capitals always start neutral.

iancanton wrote:
chanakam2020 wrote:Also there are some sea ports and airports around the island too and we may use them for additional connection routes.

The idea of connectivity through port is to avoid dead ends at northern part of the map.

Thinking about provincial and national capital I got another idea also to avoid dead ends.

National Capital can one way attack provincial capitals ( Here provincial governments are under the authority of national government )
If a player hold a province bonus then from provincial capital of that bonus they can attack any other provincial capital

is that possible to code with XML conditional border feature ?
And how do you feel about the game play with that ?
Cook chanakam2020

Postby Hooch on Wed May 18, 2022 9:31 pm

chanakam2020 wrote:
iancanton wrote:

The idea of connectivity through port is to avoid dead ends at northern part of the map.

Thinking about provincial and national capital I got another idea also to avoid dead ends.

National Capital can one way attack provincial capitals ( Here provincial governments are under the authority of national government )
If a player hold a province bonus then from provincial capital of that bonus they can attack any other provincial capital

I think 2015 World Cup has that feature
Private 1st Class Hooch

Postby iancanton on Fri May 20, 2022 6:32 pm

Hooch wrote:
chanakam2020 wrote:National Capital can one way attack provincial capitals ( Here provincial governments are under the authority of national government )

I think 2015 World Cup has that feature

correct, as does temple of jinn.

the suggested gameplay is worth a try, as we don't see it often and it has no obvious flaws.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Hooch on Fri May 27, 2022 2:21 am

I think WC 2015 does not declare it, which is a serious fault in the legend.
Private 1st Class Hooch

Postby Vlasov on Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:27 am

Are there any geographical barriers (mountains or forest) that would appear on the map? At first glance it resembles the Madagascar map -- it's also an island nation.
Cadet Vlasov

Postby chanakam2020 on Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:22 am

Vlasov wrote:Are there any geographical barriers (mountains or forest) that would appear on the map? At first glance it resembles the Madagascar map -- it's also an island nation.

There are mountains , forests and rivers.
But they do not well align with district/province borders
Cook chanakam2020

Postby PureStink on Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:40 am

Will this map depict the ongoing struggle to oust the British imperialists?
Corporal PureStink

Postby chanakam2020 on Mon Jun 06, 2022 12:16 pm

PureStink wrote:Will this map depict the ongoing struggle to oust the British imperialists?

No . Proposed map layout is based current Sri Lanka administrative divisions.
Cook chanakam2020

Postby iancanton on Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:33 pm

to advance to the drafting room, we need an original image, saved in .png or .jpg format, that is theoretically playable.

this can be drawn using proper graphics software such as photoshop or gimp, basic software such as paint or even pen and paper, but it must be ur own work and show the intended number of regions, with names and bonuses, so that it's capable of being played.

when u post such an image, put the version number, such as 1.1, in the title of the post, so that we can see the map progressing and easily refer to a particular version.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby chanakam2020 on Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:13 pm

iancanton wrote:to advance to the drafting room, we need an original image, saved in .png or .jpg format, that is theoretically playable.

this can be drawn using proper graphics software such as photoshop or gimp, basic software such as paint or even pen and paper, but it must be ur own work and show the intended number of regions, with names and bonuses, so that it's capable of being played.

when u post such an image, put the version number, such as 1.1, in the title of the post, so that we can see the map progressing and easily refer to a particular version.

At this step do I need to calculate how much troops given for each bonus ? [Some thing like 2 troops for holding bonus A , 1 troop for holding bonus B]
Or ?
At this step it only need to clearly display and name the bonuses and territories ?
Cook chanakam2020

Postby iancanton on Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:57 pm

at this stage, there's no need to do calculations. bonuses can be anything u like bcos u know that they're likely to change during map development. something is always better than nothing: no-one can comment on bonuses that don't exist, while it's hard to comment on bonuses or regions that have no names.

try stretching the map horizontally, making it shorter and fatter than a typical sri lanka map, to give more room for writing those long sri lankan names.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby chanakam2020 on Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:20 pm

iancanton wrote:at this stage, there's no need to do calculations. bonuses can be anything u like bcos u know that they're likely to change during map development. something is always better than nothing: no-one can comment on bonuses that don't exist, while it's hard to comment on bonuses or regions that have no names.

OP updated with version 001 images of map.

iancanton wrote:try stretching the map horizontally, making it shorter and fatter than a typical sri lanka map, to give more room for writing those long sri lankan names.

Rather than altering the look of map , How about using short names as shown in images ? (Similar to names using in WWII_Europe map & Rail maps )
Cook chanakam2020

Postby 300spartans on Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:08 pm

since the bonus area consist of the province capitals then I think the ones with 2 territories in them should be worth 2 troop bonus. Are the capitals going to start out as neutrals? I think a neutral 3 is a good size because you want people to go for a bonus and not just work around them in 1v1. If it is a neutral 6 then I doubt the bonuses would be a factor in 1v1. I noticed the bonus in the north has 5 territories and all the other ones have 3 or 2. I suggest making northern have 4 territories and southern also have 4 that way the bonus is equally difficult to hold. maybe also you could have the capitals be worth an auto deploy and the national capital be worth 2 auto deploy.
Major 300spartans

Postby D3A7H on Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:19 pm

This looks very interesting. I see that the national capital can one way attack provincial capitals, but it's not clear to me how the national capital can be attacked? Holding it would be a huge advantage. I'd suggest making it start neutral and be one way attacked from seaports and airports scattered around the map. Maybe make it a killer neutral too.
It would be great to see a beta version of this map released for Sri Lanka's 75 th independence celebration.
Major D3A7H

Postby DBandit70 on Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:04 pm

I really like the design and the idea of this map, something that stuck out to me, is that it seems if you hold the capital your going to be given a huge unfair advantage over the other players. something i did think of was what if the capital offered a +1 bonus and the capital could be assaulted but all providence capitals , with this giving reward for holding the capital and not giving it an abundance of power. another thing i was thinking was if you wanted to add more to this map you could make bonus for the providence capitals, like hold 5 for +1, hold 6 for +2, and maybe hold the capital and all 9 providence capitals you win the game(this was assuming some of the capitals started as player spot spot not neutral) just some thoughts that i had thought about.
Lieutenant DBandit70

Postby Fuchsia tude on Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:30 pm

Is the national capital reachable from WE-2? That seems like a problem to me, giving whoever spawns in the west a big advantage.

If it is only reachable from regional capitals, that probably sounds fine. I wonder if it should be part of the victory condition, too? Say, national capital + 5 or 6 regional capitals = win. In which case it should probably bombard rather than attack regional capitals.

If regional capitals had +1 autodeploy, and maybe could bombard their region, that would be interesting too, giving a reason to capture them early even if you won't have a bonus yet, since taking a whole bonus continent can be difficult in the early game. That might make this a little too Feudal Epic, but I think the global reach of the national capital would shake things up.
Corporal Fuchsia tude

Postby Nucker on Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:03 am

Thanks for this Chanakam,

Yes we need more maps, especially special condition maps.

I use 5 players as my standard for assessing maps and this one fits the bill. 9 bonus areas means a player can get a foothold and fight for a dominant position.

I also like small bonuses that dont require a lot of region taking.

I feel the National Capital is unbalanced as it sits far from the outer regions and is hard to attack for players who take far flung bonuses.

You could connect some provincial capitals by rail to counter this and also have some provincial capitals able to to attack/bombard the National capital.

Try ensure the coding gives an even distribution of the drop.

Finally to share an idea of mine you could use;
Landlords Revolt
Have a Peasant region/capitol/zone that when held gives -1 per bonus held and +1 to players with no bonuses, or some such permutation?

If you can have the ear of the CC gods then maybe you can introduce playing a card to create an effect, like choosing a region to zombie fora certain number of rounds or enforcing a limited round truce with another player/region
Major Nucker

Postby slankz on Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:34 am

Nice looking map.
I have two concerns - especially for people playing a round on their phones:
1. Where NO-1 meets up with NO-2. I had to really stare at it to see if NO-1 actually touches NO-3.
2. Also, I suggest making the NO-5 to ES-1 boarder more pronounced. It is way too easy to overlook.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Congrats on your new map!
Major slankz

Re: Sri Lanka [Version 001]

Postby iancanton on Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:52 pm

excellent start. put the version number in the title of the first post and current post, for easy reference.

i recommend that any neutral regions are n2, so that players actually capture them during most games.

it's unclear what can attack the capital, so that must be fixed.

however, this is good enough to move to the drafting room.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Next

Return to Drafting Room