Conquer Club

Fairfax County, VA Map

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby pancakemix on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:03 pm

I did see that map and I apologize for getting all worked up. But there is no discussion of how to improve that map whatsoever. So since no one else will:

Color scheme
Uniform borders (assuming the roads are borders)
better continent names (lets face it: clusters 1-8 isn't going to cut it.)

that's about it for now. As for me, i'm going to sleep
Corporal 1st Class pancakemix

Postby metsmaniac89 on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:10 pm

thanks for the constructive criticism pancake!

I can and would be willing to do anything to make this map or some variation of it playable. You were spot on with the color scheme and naming system. I just completed this map very roughly and I look forward to adding touches like a background, compass and more appealing title. I would like to get the general idea of having a popular suburb approved/supported first. Keyogi hasn't left me any specific feedback like you did, but I look forward to some.

Thanks man! :D
Corporal metsmaniac89

Postby KEYOGI on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:15 pm

metsmaniac89 wrote:Keyogi, Ive been to Australia and it really is gorgeous. Tell me you don't love playing the Australia Map with friends.

Well, I made the Australia map and to be honest I don't play it anymore than I play any other map.

Back on topic. If your map got acceptance in the foundry based on what it is, there's a lot of work that needs to go into your map. You're looking at months of work ahead of you before it would be ready for the site.

Some suggestions:
- If I counted right you have 33 territories. It's simply not enough, you're going to need at least 36 and even then that's going to be an unpopular number.
- The colour scheme is doing you no favours, you need to add some variety.
- Continent names are no good, Cluster 1-8 just wont cut it.
- The font you have is very bland and boring. You'll need some effects added to it to liven it up or use a different font completely.

Those are just the basics. If you are going to continue with it, I'd start with those points.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby metsmaniac89 on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:30 pm

thanks, im on it. Im balancing school and work right now, but I can't wait to make some changes. My first thought is to include the neighboring regions or Arlington County, Loudoun County, Prince William County, and DC. This would enable me to increase the number of territories. I've received numerous messages of people asking to add physical boundaries. I believe I will make the already existing artificial boundaries of the Beltway and I95 impassable. I will include the two major international airports of Reagan National and Dulles. Maybe they will connect to each other. I will add the Pentagon and some other monuments/notable buildings in DC. I will get to the formatting of the text, region names, and background details later. I would like to get the actual boundaries made first.

To address the issue of its perhaps not so mass appeal:
I understand that the vast majority (99+%) of CC users have never heard of Fairfax County or will ever hear of it in their lives. I'm not ignorant.
I think the basic idea of having a suburb with borders made by major roads and streams is an intresting idea in itself. Conquer Club should take a step back and look at itself and ask what does it want to become. By incorporating the same ideas as Hasbro's Risk into different maps and settings, it has enabled users to create and play their own maps. If 100 people want to play a new map, isn't this the right place to make it available to them? I mean, where else on the internet can an individual make this happen. It would mean the world to me and everyone I know on CC if this idea could be made into a reality.
Corporal metsmaniac89

Postby robtheklobb on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:41 pm

KEYOGI, I understand your concerns about the popularity of this map, but if you don't want to play it, you don't have to!

Your negativity is not appreciated, but your constructive criticism is. As a friend of metsmaniac89, I applaud his effort.
Cadet robtheklobb

Postby metsmaniac89 on Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:54 pm

I got a pm from Andy Dufresne and he said that I could make a map of a county that resembled Fairfax, but call it Conquer Club County. The map would have to be themed around different parts of the County waging war against each other. The names would be more generic, but I will still hide a touch of Fairfax into it. I will start from scratch tomorrow and I look forward to getting back to you, Keyogi with a much more professional map. Keep in mind the one I made for Fairfax was really only intended as a neat thing for my peers. Conquer Club County will be made!!!!!!

some things to be included on the map of Conquer Club County:
CIA, Pentagon, CC International Airport, CC Shopping Mall, Conquer Club Country Club, CC University (yes, the one that the CCU map is based on) and their instate rival (CC State University). The county will resemble Fairfax in shape and maybe even major roadways, but will otherwise be generic.
Corporal metsmaniac89

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:00 am

Just so you know, I'm not guaranteeing that will get it made, I just thought maybe it would help increase popularity. But even with that, as of right now, it isn't triggering my interest so much.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Teya on Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:15 am

Personally I think its just you guys having a huge wank over nothing. This map only appeals to the people that live in this county. It doesnt matter if you get a thousand people wanting this map. It will have no appeal to the general public that dont live in the area.
As for all of you people who do, I warn you to tread very lightly. You all say you are friends... but you all signed up around the same time & you all type in the exact same manner. My first thought was that you were multis, but my suspicion didnt go away when you said you were all friends. Seems very convenient.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby gavin_sidhu on Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:09 am

metsmaniac89 wrote:I got a pm from Andy Dufresne and he said that I could make a map of a county that resembled Fairfax, but call it Conquer Club County. The map would have to be themed around different parts of the County waging war against each other. The names would be more generic, but I will still hide a touch of Fairfax into it. I will start from scratch tomorrow and I look forward to getting back to you, Keyogi with a much more professional map. Keep in mind the one I made for Fairfax was really only intended as a neat thing for my peers. Conquer Club County will be made!!!!!!

some things to be included on the map of Conquer Club County:
CIA, Pentagon, CC International Airport, CC Shopping Mall, Conquer Club Country Club, CC University (yes, the one that the CCU map is based on) and their instate rival (CC State University). The county will resemble Fairfax in shape and maybe even major roadways, but will otherwise be generic.
better but not by much. Check out the ideas thread, there are millions of ideas there.
Highest Score: 1843 Ranking (Australians): 3
Lieutenant gavin_sidhu

Postby Guiscard on Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:14 am

My vote is for multis... somethings amiss... No attraction for me to be honest.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby Marvaddin on Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:29 am

Agreed. Zero appeal. Ugly and poor playability until now. And those guys really seem multis. Lol, I thought it before I read Keyogi post. :) Did you check them Andy?

But dont worry, Fairfax guys. If your map is not accepted here (and I think there is no room for a place I never heard about like this one), its already ready to play in some other low quality risk sites like landgrab :)

Just submit and play: :wink:
LANDGRAB
Major Marvaddin

Postby johloh on Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:57 pm

in the end the appeal is more in the look of the map and the playability than the location...

if you can start with a good looking map with some interesting tactics you would likely start to win over a lot of the people who are not into this idea.

with that said, im still not convinced...
Major johloh

farifax county in TIME

Postby RockSnake on Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:32 pm

TIME magazine this week had a full page article about Fairfax County as the wealthiest region in the country and talks about why it is the new NYC...
Sergeant 1st Class RockSnake

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:00 pm

And I'll say it again, who really cares! :wink:

Seriously, if this map was to get made you'd have everyone wanting to make their own town/region/state/province/etc. I'm sure there are far more interesting places that would be worthy of making a map over than this.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby PassIsPaws on Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:27 pm

yey i live in virginia beach :)
Captain PassIsPaws

Postby theMaxx on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:23 pm

I love the concept but hate the map. I would recommend redrawing areas based on where major districts or landmarks and the such are instead of where county lines and town lines fall- e.g. it would be more fun to take control over the corporate HQ of some corporation than it would be to lay siege on some town I've never heard of.
Private 1st Class theMaxx

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:25 pm

Just to let everyone know, I think a few of the creators were busted for multiple accounts.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby theMaxx on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:39 pm

didn't see that coming ;)
Private 1st Class theMaxx

Postby Qwert on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:01 pm

OK i look all 3 pages and(except map who Keyogy posted) i dont see your map, and i can not comment nothing.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Guiscard on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:12 pm

qwert wrote:OK i look all 3 pages and(except map who Keyogy posted) i dont see your map, and i can not comment nothing.

Qwert they were multis who were busted. I think it was one guy who wanted to make a map of where he lived. Never was a proper map.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.

Postby Qwert on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:15 pm

what these mean?That you can not be multis or that can not create map of place where you live?
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Guiscard on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:24 pm

The original poster wanted to create a map of where he lived (fairfax county) and to make everyone think there was support for it he signed up for multiple accounts (you can see them on the first page) all saying it was a good idea to make the map. Which is not allowed at CC.

Postby Qwert on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:27 pm

o i understand, he create map and he support bu hem self several times, its these you mean to say.
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Guiscard on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:31 pm

Yeh. People said it wasn't very appealing so he made up fake accounts to support his idea.

Postby Qwert on Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:37 pm

wauuu, i look pages and i see new record in positive post in a begining of creating map. Its like futbol game Fairfax against Keyoku,what a game(these only a joke Keyoku) :wink:
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas