Conquer Club

Jewel of the Empire coordinates & xml (new xml?)

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Would you like me to continue with this map?

Total votes : 0

Postby fireedud on Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:31 pm

I like the jewel in the corner, but I think you should change it to the hope diamond; it came from India and it's more famous.
Cook fireedud

Postby Contrickster on Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:08 pm

Nineth draft.

I'm going to leave the Desert and Mountains for now. (If you have any ideas for them though, still listening to suggestions!)

Remove the jewel at the top.
Change the green hills. Not easy to see.
Make the font at the bottom right stand out a bit more from the ocean.
Calcutta / Brahmaputra place more obvious.
Just me, but I don't like the alternating sea route dots.

Removed jewel, made font brighter, with background. Don't know how much more I can do with the position of Brahmaputra and Calcutta within the horizontal style.

prefered floating look

Don't think I can reincorporate clouds back into the design. Anyone else want the clouds & floating look back? There has been a serious move toward Asian landmass in comments.

-i like the straightened names
-id say ditch the jewels in the title, maybe if you want a jewel do a more cartoon or drawn version? which kinda matches the pastel/cartoonish feel of the map....it seems out of place.
-id change the light blue bonus area so it isnt so similar in color to the ocean, it almost looks like a lake or river or something...light blue is ok, just vary it a little more...
-legend looks much more readable...does 'mugals' have a blur on it though? it seems harder to read than the rest of the legend...

Jewel gone. I'm a crummy artist... :(
Changed Himalayas to gold/yellow.
Mugals didn't have a blur but it did look blurry - changed legend to make it more visible.

i wish the Ganges river was i there, it is after all, a hindu goddess.

River would clutter up the map as it's not needed for a border. I've alluded to rivers and geography with the names of some territories.

I like the jewel in the corner, but I think you should change it to the hope diamond; it came from India and it's more famous.

What do you think of the Indian elephant instead?
Corporal 1st Class Contrickster

Postby Evil DIMwit on Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:24 pm

Personally, I like the dots. Plus now it looks like you can go straight from Calcutta to Diu to Ceylon, etc.
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby mibi on Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:15 am

the new texture is definitely not an improvement! also I cannot red the white on yellow text at all. i also preferred the dots. The new colors are burning a hole in my eyes. This map has gone backwards!

I like the elephant tho.
Captain mibi

Postby boberz on Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:32 am

Contrickster wrote:Thanks for the comments, will update later.

boberz wrote:prefered floating look

I could take away the jewel image and return the clouds which would give a birds-eye-view look.

i really did like floating look but if nobody is with me
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby Contrickster on Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:22 am

Evil DIMwit wrote:Personally, I like the dots. Plus now it looks like you can go straight from Calcutta to Diu to Ceylon, etc.

Good point.

I prefered the dots too. Anyone else prefer the dots on this map?

Postby Contrickster on Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:24 am

mibi wrote:the new texture is definitely not an improvement! also I cannot red the white on yellow text at all. i also preferred the dots. The new colors are burning a hole in my eyes. This map has gone backwards!

I like the elephant tho.

Texture and font can be changed. Do you like the new yellow colour for Himalayas?

Postby fireedud on Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:09 pm

I think you should make the elephant more visible.
Cook fireedud

Postby Contrickster on Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:51 pm

Tenth Draft - two options (I would do a poll but I don't have that option from my first post...)

Postby Neilhouse on Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:45 pm

I think I prefer the no clouds map and I don't care much for the mountains. Also, I miss the elephant.

Though, like I said, I'd probably play the map as it was in the first draft if the game play was good. Keep up the good work.
Corporal Neilhouse

Postby Contrickster on Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:53 pm

Thanks Neilhouse. Thought your comment warrented another update!

Elephant back on Himalayas. Removed the cloud and going with the look I prefer.

NOTE There was bug in the way I have previously saved to JPG. On this version the text should not look blurred and it should look sharper overall! Enjoy :)

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:16 pm

Quite a nice map, I must say. I particularly like this slightly crinkly, but otherwise flat style.

That said I think the look would be improved if the mountain and desert barriers fit better with the solid-color-crinky-bold-outline style, or at least covered the border they were on rather than standing on the territories themselves.
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby unriggable on Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:20 pm

I hate that elephant at the top.
Cook unriggable

Postby Contrickster on Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:36 pm

Is a mod able to put a poll up for the Elephant?

Evil DIMwit wrote:Quite a nice map, I must say. I particularly like this slightly crinkly, but otherwise flat style.

That said I think the look would be improved if the mountain and desert barriers fit better with the solid-color-crinky-bold-outline style, or at least covered the border they were on rather than standing on the territories themselves.

Next update I'll put them all on the borders. Not sure what you mean by "fit better with the solid-color-crinky-bold-outline style"... you mean give the features a texture?

Postby johloh on Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:47 pm

-I think the mountains/deserts just arent cutting it...i think you need to try a new technique or style than you have been trying...something totally different...
-i like the dots for the sea routes
-I think you could do more with the black background on the legend...just doesnt look very 'finished'
my new site - http://www.spritestitch.com/ - A video game craft weblog...
Major johloh

Postby Evil DIMwit on Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:27 pm

Contrickster wrote:Is a mod able to put a poll up for the Elephant?

Evil DIMwit wrote:Quite a nice map, I must say. I particularly like this slightly crinkly, but otherwise flat style.

Next update I'll put them all on the borders. Not sure what you mean by "fit better with the solid-color-crinky-bold-outline style"... you mean give the features a texture?

Well, if you look at the map, nothing's really three-dimensional. All the territories are just solid color, with the black or white outline, and that texture. The mountains, on the other hand, are all 3D-ish gradient triangles, which doesn't quite flow with the rest of the map.
Captain Evil DIMwit

Postby Teya on Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:24 pm

Contrickster wrote:Tenth Draft - two options (I would do a poll but I don't have that option from my first post...)

Ask keyogi or andy to delete the current poll if you want another one.
Sergeant 1st Class Teya

Postby Contrickster on Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:26 pm

Here's some line borders...

I feel out of ideas now and feel I'm going round in circles. There has been no discussion of the borders and game play at all. Does this mean it is great as it is? Or does it mean it's rubbish? Obviously I don't want to go through all this hassle over presentation if it's going to be rejected on gameplay.

Postby boberz on Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:25 am

now the legend looks really stupid
Corporal 1st Class boberz

Postby Contrickster on Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:10 am

boberz wrote:now the legend looks really stupid

I agree.

I hate this map now., too I don't seem able to get the presentation above a certain standard. It's just different grades of crap.

I'm going to have tostart again.

Does a map maker have suggestion on what techniques I may not be using that would this map's development?

How about shadow? I use Fireworks/GIMP.

I've a problem with using Fireworks on this computer though, it can only handle about 8 layers before slowing to a crash. What I have done is transfered files to GIMP which can handle many layers. Should I be doing this? Is any data lost in the process? Going from png > xcf and then to jpg?

Re: India: the Jewel in the Empire - #12 06/04/07

Postby Contrickster on Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:58 pm

mistake bbl

Re: India: the Jewel in the Empire - #12 06/04/07

Postby Contrickster on Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:54 pm

What do you think now?

Postby fireedud on Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:15 pm

THey look okay, but I think they should be curved, not straight, and what happened to the elephant?
Cook fireedud

Postby Neilhouse on Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:17 pm

I like it. Simple but obvious.
Corporal Neilhouse

Postby Guiscard on Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:18 pm

Background is pretty dark. I preffered the last one in terms of visuals, but i don't actually think it should be free floating, as it were. I'd rather see the actual land.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas