Conquer Club

Paris - V10 (May 28) (pgs. 1 & 9) - FEEDBACK PLEASE!!

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Paris - V6 (5/2) (pgs. 1 & 4) - FEEDBACK PLEASE!!

Postby sempaispellcheck on Thu May 10, 2012 7:39 am

Merci bien, Lance! Je fais le mieux que je peux! :D

Nate - glad you agree with Koontz - that makes my life easier. :D

The sig shall stay for now - I'll shrink it a bit and put it at the bottom of the legend.
High score: 2200 - July 20, 2015
Game 13890915 - in which I helped clinch the NC4 title for LHDD

Lieutenant sempaispellcheck

Location: Among the clouds and the skyscrapers, saving the world.

Postby ViperOverLord on Mon May 14, 2012 9:27 pm

No Eifle Tower?
Major ViperOverLord

Postby sempaispellcheck on Mon May 14, 2012 10:35 pm

La Tour Eiffel = the Eiffel (not Eifle :x ) Tower.

Postby Flapcake on Tue May 15, 2012 4:26 am

sempaispellcheck wrote:La Tour Eiffel = the Eiffel (not Eifle :x ) Tower.

I think La Tour Eiffel are only known by french people, the rest of the world known it as Eiffel tower, wich I believe would be the correct to call it, as then every one are sure what it is.

"Tour" sounds like something you can ride on, like a bike ;) dont take it to offencive but view it from a turists eye :P In my copenhagen map I had to call the sigths in english, cours no one would have know what the hell Im talking about :?
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby sempaispellcheck on Tue May 15, 2012 7:41 am

Flapcake wrote:the rest of the world known it as Eiffel tower

Not true. The Spanish have another word for it, as do the Italians, as do...
Point is, this is a map of Paris, where the people speak French. The territory names are all in French (and few of them translate), so to call it the Eiffel Tower would make it out-of-sync with the rest of the territories.
Put "Tour Eiffel" into Google and the second result is the English-language Wikipedia page for the "Eiffel Tower."

Most English speakers (particularly Americans) will eventually (and I hope soon) have to realize that the rest of the world will not speak English simply because they're too lazy to learn another language.

Postby cairnswk on Tue May 15, 2012 10:02 am

I agree with sempaispellcheck on this one...
I also know it as la Tour Eiffel (not just it's English derivation) and think it is more appropriate.

Also, you have the Juillet Column in the Place de la Bastille...while i recognise the Bastille no longer stands wouldn't it be more appropriate for an image of the Bastilleto appear there, rather than a monument celebrating the occassion and date. Or at least a floor plan image of the Bastille.

sempaispellcheck, i hope this will go somewhere graphically...i have to say it is not looking too good at present imho. I am sorry to be blunt. i don't like the oriental characters whatever they represent, and for such a huge city like Paris, i think something more/better could have been made of the arrondissements (districts including the outer porte ones), quartiers (quaters e.g. Latin), rive droite (right bank) and rive gauche (left bank) towards the gameplay.

I really want to encourage you to continue and hope you can arrive at a better position. There are so many creative things that could be done with this map. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby Flapcake on Tue May 15, 2012 11:47 am

sempaispellcheck wrote:Most English speakers (particularly Americans) will eventually (and I hope soon) have to realize that the rest of the world will not speak English simply because they're too lazy to learn another language.

(Lets not turn this in to a argument club ;))

But this not true, at ohterhand frensh people refuse to speak any thing but frensh, I have been to france many times and have noted that if you dont speak frensh they dont give a shit about you (mostly old people) English are the largest language in the western world and obligatorical in schools from 3 class in my contry, when french are choice free at college, and very few choose it, kind of same whit germans, when they travel in my contry they expect that we speak german and refuses to speak english or simply cant. I dont get it sorry.

Please note this, I think your english are good and Im not after you as person, but france had and still have I my contry a bad reputation (almost arrogant) about the "refuses to speak any thing but french thing"
Private 1st Class Flapcake

Postby koontz1973 on Tue May 15, 2012 11:56 am

The map is of Paris, the French capital. Having the territ names in French is more than acceptable and as long as they are correct and consistent, it should be allowed. Having territ names in English may be preferred by some users, but then we would need to Anglicise a lot of maps.

sempaispellcheck, as you are in the USA, it might be wise to send a mass PM to the French users of the site and ask them to come and have a look. Use google translate if you do not speak French and give them a set list of questions. One being correct territ names. Hope that helps.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby sempaispellcheck on Tue May 15, 2012 12:16 pm

cairnswk wrote:Also, you have the Juillet Column in the Place de la Bastille...while i recognise the Bastille no longer stands wouldn't it be more appropriate for an image of the Bastilleto appear there, rather than a monument celebrating the occassion and date. Or at least a floor plan image of the Bastille.

That's a good point, cairns. Not sure how it escaped me, but I think it would probably be a better idea to have an image of la Bastille there - especially since la Colonne de Juillet actually commemorates a totally different event.

cairnswk wrote:sempaispellcheck, i hope this will go somewhere graphically...i have to say it is not looking too good at present imho. I am sorry to be blunt. i don't like the oriental characters whatever they represent, and for such a huge city like Paris, i think something more/better could have been made of the arrondissements (districts including the outer porte ones), quartiers (quaters e.g. Latin), rive droite (right bank) and rive gauche (left bank) towards the gameplay.

Me, too. This is my first map, and I didn't have much graphics experience when I started. koontz has given me a laundry list of things to work on for my next update (I think it's on page 5), but if you want to add to that, I would be most grateful - just please be as specific as possible (what do you mean by "something more/better? for example).
The Japanese characters are the "sempai" in "sempaispellcheck." I was advised to "do something" with my username, and that was what I thought of. It is staying as is (though I might move it and/or make it smaller) until and unless I get another idea that I like better.

Don't worry, koontz - I speak French fluently. In fact, I just got back from Paris in January - was studying there for a semester.

Postby koontz1973 on Tue May 15, 2012 12:28 pm

sempaispellcheck wrote:Don't worry, koontz - I speak French fluently. In fact, I just got back from Paris in January - was studying there for a semester.

You lucky lucky bastard. But the idea is one worth doing. Getting fresh eyes onto the map, giving ideas and feedback in general is always good.

You Chinese character has to go though for your sig. Bung your name onto the map with the character behind it. Sort of like cairnswk butterfly.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby sempaispellcheck on Tue May 15, 2012 1:19 pm

koontz1973 wrote:You lucky lucky bastard.

:D

koontz1973 wrote:Getting fresh eyes onto the map, giving ideas and feedback in general is always good.

Absolutely. But I think I'll wait until I post my next update.

koontz1973 wrote:Your Chinese character has to go though for your sig. Bung your name onto the map with the character behind it. Sort of like cairnswk butterfly.

IT'S JAPANESE!!! :evil:
Ok, I can do that.

Postby koontz1973 on Tue May 15, 2012 10:51 pm

Chinese / Japanese, I am sure I can remember some jokes about this from my youth, but if I post them, I would get banned.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby ComposerNate on Mon May 21, 2012 4:37 pm

Conservez le en Francais. Si quelques idiotes ne recognisent pas l'image de la Tour, ils n'ont pas l'intelligence a comprendre les mots anglais!

I like the Japanese and squiggle, as long as it's smaller, at the bottom, and your actual username is there too.

I would agree with Cairns that something more could be done with the arrondissements, but it would make a very large map, which you don't want to do as a first time mapmaker. Maybe this one could be Paris mini and you eventually do Paris maximum or something.

I also agree with whoever said the metro lines don't do much. They would be more strategic if there were more overall territs (maybe in Paris maximum) so they could connect faraway places like in NYC.
High score & rank:
1850/Captain
July 6, 2014

2011-03-23 18:49:46 - neutral player eliminated ComposerNate from the game
Captain ComposerNate

Postby sempaispellcheck on Mon May 21, 2012 5:30 pm

ComposerNate wrote:Conservez le en Francais. Si quelques idiotes ne recognisent pas l'image de la Tour, ils n'ont pas l'intelligence a comprendre les mots anglais!

Merci, Nate! :D Je suis ravi que tu es d'accord!
Meme si c'est un peu evident que tu n'es pas un vrai francophone. :P

ComposerNate wrote:I like the Japanese and squiggle, as long as it's smaller, at the bottom, and your actual username is there too.

Glad to hear that. That works for me.

ComposerNate wrote:I would agree with Cairns that something more could be done with the arrondissements, but it would make a very large map, which you don't want to do as a first time mapmaker. Maybe this one could be Paris mini and you eventually do Paris maximum or something.

Maybe - once I have more mapmaking experience. Still not certain what you guys mean by "something more." :x

ComposerNate wrote:I also agree with whoever said the metro lines don't do much. They would be more strategic if there were more overall territs (maybe in Paris maximum) so they could connect faraway places like in NYC.

What if I just had 3 stations on each metro line? Ligne 1 would have stations at l'Arc de Triomphe, Louvre, and Vincennes, and Ligne 4 would have stations at Sacre-Cœur, Montparnasse or Montsouris, and Louvre. Would that work?

Postby ComposerNate on Wed May 23, 2012 12:08 pm

sempaispellcheck wrote:Meme si c'est un peu evident que tu n'es pas un vrai francophone. :P

My French is rusty, but I did write that without looking anything up!

sempaispellcheck wrote:
ComposerNate wrote:I also agree with whoever said the metro lines don't do much. They would be more strategic if there were more overall territs (maybe in Paris maximum) so they could connect faraway places like in NYC.

What if I just had 3 stations on each metro line? Ligne 1 would have stations at l'Arc de Triomphe, Louvre, and Vincennes, and Ligne 4 would have stations at Sacre-Cœur, Montparnasse or Montsouris, and Louvre. Would that work?

I think that would be better. See what others think.
High score & rank:
1850/Captain
July 6, 2014

2011-03-23 18:49:46 - neutral player eliminated ComposerNate from the game
Captain ComposerNate

Postby ManBungalow on Wed May 23, 2012 4:36 pm

Needs more impassables, because none of those bonuses can easily be taken on a map this size.

For instance, look at how many access points each bonus on the London map has.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby koontz1973 on Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:49 pm

[Moved]

If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;)

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby sempaispellcheck on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:16 am

Sorry for the delay, all. I've got a lot of work to do on this, and I'm busy with a lot of other stuff atm. I'll get an update in here as soon as I can, though.

Postby koontz1973 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:51 am

Not to worry, know you have stuff going on. Just want to clear the decks as such.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby thehippo8 on Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:48 am

You may want to rethink the title ... I misread it as Incest: Paris ... :oops:
ImageImageImage
show
Corporal 1st Class thehippo8

Postby sempaispellcheck on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:27 pm

I am proud to announce that, now that I'm back in my dorm - and have time on my hands again, I have gotten back to work on this map.

Version 7 should hit the site Wednesday afternoon - probably between 13:00:00 and 14:00:00 CC Time.

Re: Paris - V7 (9/19) (pgs. 1 & 7) - FEEDBACK PLEASE!!

Postby sempaispellcheck on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:24 pm

Finally - the wait is over!

Ladies and gentlemen...Version 7!!

Click image to enlarge.

Notre Dame starts as neutral 10, other 4 landmarks start as neutral 5.

Changes: Basically everything - completely different look for all non-playable areas. Moved things around, took out flag background and landmark illustrations for the time being, different kinds of army circles - squares for métro stations, stars for landmarks, took out a few (somewhat redundant) métro stations, added clipart of a café and a tabac sign.

Still to do: Background, landmark illustrations, impassables, box legend in, fix up pictures - cafe/tabac sign (?), other things I can't think of - but you guys will. :D

What do you think? How can I make it better?
Last edited by sempaispellcheck on Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby koontz1973 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:49 pm

sempai, [moved] back for you.

What do you think? How can I make it better?

sempai, the following may sound harsh but please remember, I am here to help and even though my words may sound harsh, everything is going to help you in the end.
What do you think?

It looks like crap.
How can I make it better?

Here are a few things you can do very quickly to make this map look a 100 times better very quickly.
Remove the tabac sign.
Make the cartoon fill the whole corner. In fact, that cartoon is the only thing that works. Look at it and use it. Here is how.
Colours, the colours are nice so replace the ones you have on the map with these.
Map texture, remove it and replace it with a paper one all over the map. Here is one you can use. Image Just copy and paste, tile it so it fits everywhere.
Using the paper and the colours from the cartoon will give you a map that looks a lot better.
Territ lines. The lines for the territs are nice and thin and work. The ones around the bonus areas are huge and horrible. Go back and redo them. I do not know what settings you used for the territ lines but you need to copy that but make the lines slightly thicker.

Title. Here is a font for you to use. http://www.dafont.com/boingo.font?fpp=50 That will make the title a lot better.

Map itself. Move the two bonuses south of the river down to make the river a lot wider. Notre Dame can then get drawn bigger so the name and star fit inside the territ.
Lose the metros. A paris metro map is being made now and it adds nothing to this one apart from confusion.

sempai, as I said, some harsh words here, but it is all meant in a way to help you. Please do not be offended and we can get this ready to move to the next level together.

koontz
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby sempaispellcheck on Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:34 am

koontz1973 wrote:sempai, [moved] back for you.

Thank you kindly! :D

koontz1973 wrote:sempai, the following may sound harsh but please remember, I am here to help and even though my words may sound harsh, everything is going to help you in the end.

Don't worry, koontz, I know that. Say what you think about the map. I won't be offended - I promise.

koontz1973 wrote:It looks like crap.

Yeah, it does. :cry:
To be honest, I kind of threw this draft together just to make sure I got something up and the map wouldn't be abandoned.

koontz1973 wrote:Here are a few things you can do very quickly to make this map look a 100 times better very quickly.
Remove the tabac sign.

OK.

koontz1973 wrote:Make the cartoon fill the whole corner. In fact, that cartoon is the only thing that works. Look at it and use it...the colours are nice so replace the ones you have on the map with these.

That's a good idea! I can do that.

koontz1973 wrote:Map texture, remove it and replace it with a paper one all over the map. Here is one you can use. Image Just copy and paste, tile it so it fits everywhere.

But I liked my oil paint texture. :cry: Oh well, I'm sure I'll grow to love this one, too.

koontz1973 wrote:Using the paper and the colours from the cartoon will give you a map that looks a lot better.

If you say so.

koontz1973 wrote:Territ lines. The lines for the territs are nice and thin and work. The ones around the bonus areas are huge and horrible. Go back and redo them. I do not know what settings you used for the territ lines but you need to copy that but make the lines slightly thicker.

OK. So, thinner bonus area borders, slightly thicker territory borders - but not so much that they could be confused. Got it.

koontz1973 wrote:Title. Here is a font for you to use. http://www.dafont.com/boingo.font?fpp=50 That will make the title a lot better.

Awesome! Thanks!

koontz1973 wrote:Map itself. Move the two bonuses south of the river down to make the river a lot wider. Notre Dame can then get drawn bigger so the name and star fit inside the territ.

Oh, so that's what you meant! Sorry, I didn't realize that "you have room" meant "you can make room" - and of course, I never would have thought of it myself. :oops:

koontz1973 wrote:Lose the metros. A paris metro map is being made now and it adds nothing to this one apart from confusion.

OK. I wouldn't mind that. I have seen Qyu's map, by the way, and I do like it. I keep forgetting to post in his thread.

koontz1973 wrote:sempai, as I said, some harsh words here, but it is all meant in a way to help you. Please do not be offended and we can get this ready to move to the next level together.

At this stage, harsh words are what I (and this map) need. Thank you so much for all your help, guidance, advice, and support. And don't worry - nothing you could say about this map would offend me personally.

To Version 8!! :D

sempai

Postby koontz1973 on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:48 am

The oil texture works but it does not fit the map. Now if you wanted to make the map like an oil painting, then so be it, but the cartoon is what works now and cartoons are drawn on paper. If you need help on anything, post here as I always look in when I log on or send me a PM.
Lieutenant koontz1973

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas