Conquer Club

bin please

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: bin please

Postby Gillipig on Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:21 am

natty dread wrote:
The Bison King wrote:Yeah, but is it that surprising that the site lay claim to the basic world map?

It is, actually. It used to be that maps were made in the foundry (disregarding certain "special event seasonal surprise maps"). It used to be that if two mapmakers had the same idea, both had the right to pursue it, and whoever had the better execution and more commitment to the process would get his/her map done. When I made my nordic countries map, there was another nordic countries map (sans iceland) being developed at the same time, but I eventually got my map done, and the other map stalled. That's how it should be - the survival of the fittest.

Now it seems certain map projects are reserved only to the "inner circle" group, and if they get conflicted by another map of the same subject, they get automatic mapmaking rights, regardless of which is the better map. I mean, shit, we haven't even seen the other world map yet, they probably don't even have a draft yet, and they have already declared it the "winner" over my map.

It used to be that the site admin trusted the foundry to create the best maps for this site. Even the first seasonal map was made by a foundry regular - now, the seasonal maps are being made by an entertainment person who has made exactly one map inside the foundry. Even the current classic map started as a regular map project inside the foundry - it was being developed as a new map, and the site decided to make it the new classic map instead. Now, the situation is obviously different, the foundry isn't the primary source of maps anymore, it's not the place that is asked when some kind of map is needed - no, those maps are reserved to this special "inner circle" group...

When I inquired from andydufresne why this map isn't allowed, he told me I could make it, as long as I make it "different enough" from that other world map they are planning. The irony is, my map was posted in the foundry first, their map hasn't even been started yet, shouldn't they be the ones to make their map different enough from mine?

But no, there's two foundries on CC now. The regular foundry, and the super-privileged foundry.

I don't want to be a part of a site that considers me a 2nd-class citizen, plain and simple.

Well you're finnish so you should be used to it ;) !
Kidding aside I can understand his displeasure with it. But pulling all his maps because of such a small thing is not proprotional. It's not like this map had any stamps and had been in the foundry for months when they informed him he couldn't carry on with it. It's not adequate to telling bison to scratch his africa map who's in the final forge. This is in the drafting room.
By the way get back to your Eurasia map at once! I want to play it ;)!
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Re: bin please

Postby koontz1973 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:25 am

Moved as per map makers request.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Previous

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas