Page 1 of 2

Re: No name as yet [11/6]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:06 pm
by ManBungalow
koontz1973 wrote:
Click image to enlarge.
image


The names on that image are great.

But really, there's nothing special about any of these maps. We already have 100+ maps with standard gameplay. Many of them were made just to represent a certain geographical area, but these islands are completely fictional..
Why not put your skills to better use on a more interesting project ?

Re: No name as yet [11/6]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:15 pm
by AndyDufresne
ManBungalow wrote:Why not put your skills to better use on a more interesting project ?

This was my initial thought, since there are a lot of more interesting (in my opinion) maps that have been abandoned and are ready for someone to take up the helm.


--Andy

Re: No name as yet [11/6]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:27 pm
by nebsmith
I find the idea of three different styles of gameplay on the three maps interesting, particularly if they are kept for the 3 island 4th map.

  1. Winning condition
  2. Losing condition
  3. Standard

Though I am not sure it would be possible to keep the conditions on the three islands the same for the three island map. It's an intriguing idea though.

Re: No name as yet [11/6]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:22 pm
by koontz1973
ManBungalow wrote:The names on that image are great.

But really, there's nothing special about any of these maps. We already have 100+ maps with standard gameplay. Many of them were made just to represent a certain geographical area, but these islands are completely fictional..
Why not put your skills to better use on a more interesting project ?

AndyDufresne wrote:
ManBungalow wrote:Why not put your skills to better use on a more interesting project ?

This was my initial thought, since there are a lot of more interesting (in my opinion) maps that have been abandoned and are ready for someone to take up the helm.


--Andy

You are both right, as for interesting ideas out in the melting pot, there are tons that have not been done yet. But this is just my initial ideas for these maps. Give me some time to get the initial ideas down and give each of the islands there own unique fell and style of GP.
nebsmith wrote:I find the idea of three different styles of gameplay on the three maps interesting, particularly if they are kept for the 3 island 4th map.

  1. Winning condition
  2. Losing condition
  3. Standard

Though I am not sure it would be possible to keep the conditions on the three islands the same for the three island map. It's an intriguing idea though.

Keeping all three of the GP styles on the big map is OK, I would need to spread the WC and LC over the three though.

Will get the GP sorted for the 3 small maps finished this week. Only two more days of school then a summer to concentrate. :D

Re: No name as yet [11/6]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:35 pm
by koontz1973
koontz1973 wrote:
ManBungalow wrote:The names on that image are great.

But really, there's nothing special about any of these maps. We already have 100+ maps with standard gameplay. Many of them were made just to represent a certain geographical area, but these islands are completely fictional..
Why not put your skills to better use on a more interesting project ?

AndyDufresne wrote:
ManBungalow wrote:Why not put your skills to better use on a more interesting project ?

This was my initial thought, since there are a lot of more interesting (in my opinion) maps that have been abandoned and are ready for someone to take up the helm.


--Andy

You are both right, as for interesting ideas out in the melting pot, there are tons that have not been done yet. But this is just my initial ideas for these maps. Give me some time to get the initial ideas down and give each of the islands there own unique fell and style of GP. Also, when have I ever really tried to do something the same as someone before.
nebsmith wrote:I find the idea of three different styles of gameplay on the three maps interesting, particularly if they are kept for the 3 island 4th map.

  1. Winning condition
  2. Losing condition
  3. Standard

Though I am not sure it would be possible to keep the conditions on the three islands the same for the three island map. It's an intriguing idea though.

Keeping all three of the GP styles on the big map is OK, I would need to spread the WC and LC over the three though.

Will get the GP sorted for the 4 maps finished this week. Only two more days of school then a summer to concentrate. :D

Re: No name as yet [11/6]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:34 pm
by danfrank
Nice graphics :!:

Re: No name as yet [11/6]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:49 pm
by koontz1973
danfrank wrote:Nice graphics :!:

Funny man you are. :lol:

Re: No name as yet [14/6]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:20 pm
by koontz1973
Updates to the North island (conquest GP)
Click image to enlarge.
image

South island.
Click image to enlarge.
image

Re: No name as yet [14/6]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:41 pm
by Victor Sullivan
The win condition for the North Island doesn't make for a very practical and feasible objective. It would be better if you slimmed it down to 2 sets, then maybe provided a smaller incremental bonus. Perhaps you could go the route of pairs instead of sets? Have five pairs instead of three sets, award +2 per pair, then make the win condition to hold three pairs? Just a thought. Regardless, you gotta make that objective easier.

And do you suppose you could make the region names G-rated? :sick:

-Sully

Re: No name as yet [14/6]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:45 pm
by koontz1973
Victor Sullivan wrote:The win condition for the North Island doesn't make for a very practical and feasible objective. It would be better if you slimmed it down to 2 sets, then maybe provided a smaller incremental bonus. Perhaps you could go the route of pairs instead of sets? Have five pairs instead of three sets, award +2 per pair, then make the win condition to hold three pairs? Just a thought. Regardless, you gotta make that objective easier.

And do you suppose you could make the region names G-rated? :sick:

-Sully

Like the ideas of the pairs and will add do that this weekend. Why G rated names, these are real places. But I take what you mean and can tone them down some. Just needed names for now and something funny, just went with it.

Re: No name as yet [14/6]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:49 pm
by Victor Sullivan
koontz1973 wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:The win condition for the North Island doesn't make for a very practical and feasible objective. It would be better if you slimmed it down to 2 sets, then maybe provided a smaller incremental bonus. Perhaps you could go the route of pairs instead of sets? Have five pairs instead of three sets, award +2 per pair, then make the win condition to hold three pairs? Just a thought. Regardless, you gotta make that objective easier.

And do you suppose you could make the region names G-rated? :sick:

-Sully

Like the ideas of the pairs and will add do that this weekend. Why G rated names, these are real places. But I take what you mean and can tone them down some. Just needed names for now and something funny, just went with it.

I'm sure Doctor Long Lover and Doctor Cumloden would appreciate it.

-Sully

Re: No name as yet [14/6]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:55 pm
by koontz1973
Victor Sullivan wrote:
koontz1973 wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:The win condition for the North Island doesn't make for a very practical and feasible objective. It would be better if you slimmed it down to 2 sets, then maybe provided a smaller incremental bonus. Perhaps you could go the route of pairs instead of sets? Have five pairs instead of three sets, award +2 per pair, then make the win condition to hold three pairs? Just a thought. Regardless, you gotta make that objective easier.

And do you suppose you could make the region names G-rated? :sick:

-Sully

Like the ideas of the pairs and will add do that this weekend. Why G rated names, these are real places. But I take what you mean and can tone them down some. Just needed names for now and something funny, just went with it.

I'm sure Doctor Long Lover and Doctor Cumloden would appreciate it.

-Sully

Be gratful I did not use Seaman Staines and Roger the cabin boy for the ship names. :lol:

Re: Island Hoppers [14/6]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:09 am
by koontz1973
Update to the 3 island map (Island Hoppers) and northern island. First post for now till the other two are brought up to date.

Re: Island Hoppers [15/6] P2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:29 am
by koontz1973
Updates to all maps. Game play sort of done on three of the maps. Just need to flesh out the legends some more on them. The final one (south island) needs to be different. Any ideas?
Click image to enlarge.
image

Click image to enlarge.
image

Click image to enlarge.
image

Click image to enlarge.
image

Re: Island Hoppers [15/6] P2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:50 am
by nolefan5311
I am still confused on the North and South islands.

In the North, how do I win? If it's an objective win, it's unclear in the legend, which is has to be because sinking boats can't be attacked. Also, hold one pair, two pairs, of what? One pair of continents?

In the South, is it just a standard gameplay map? I see an issue with bonus dropping the SW +1, and placing a neutral there cuts off movement across that part of the map. Maybe you should think about opening up a passable through the mountain from Ware to Fazeley.

And a potential issue with the map with all three islands. In 8 player games, each person is going to start with only 7 territories. If someone drops 4 of their territories on one island, they could be eliminated from the other two islands (and booted from the game) before even having a chance to play.

Re: Island Hoppers [15/6] P2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:26 am
by koontz1973
nolefan5311 wrote:I am still confused on the North and South islands.

So am I now and again, but it goes sometimes and clarity comes to me.
In the North, how do I win? If it's an objective win, it's unclear in the legend, which is has to be because sinking boats can't be attacked. Also, hold one pair, two pairs, of what? One pair of continents?

North island has 3 sets of symbols. Doctors, lighthouses and coastguards. Each symbol has 3 on the map but you only need to hold a pair (2) to get the bonus. Holding a pair of each gets you the win. By that time, the win is pretty much over with so this needs to be looked at again.
In the South, is it just a standard gameplay map? I see an issue with bonus dropping the SW +1, and placing a neutral there cuts off movement across that part of the map. Maybe you should think about opening up a passable through the mountain from Ware to Fazeley.

Standard yes, till I can think of something to add to it. It will get the losing condition added to it though. This can be done
And a potential issue with the map with all three islands. In 8 player games, each person is going to start with only 7 territories. If someone drops 4 of their territories on one island, they could be eliminated from the other two islands (and booted from the game) before even having a chance to play.

The drop will be coded into starting positions. In an 8 player game, each will start with 6 territs as the airports will be coded as neutral 1s. Same with the fishing boats. Using positions, each player will start with 2 territs per island. This still means that a player can get booted out first round, but that will likely be in quads only, so will change it to if you are only on one island, you are booted from the game.

When I am ready to get this moving forward, I will lay out all of the GP in the first post. This is not an easy undertaking :-$ , which is why I have started now, summer and no school for nearly 3 months. :D

Re: Island Hoppers [15/6] P2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:00 pm
by DiM
i'm always in favour of fantasy maps but this the thing is these maps must excel in gameplay and graphics as well as theme because they don't have the advantage of being a map about a real life familiar place.

so far your maps don't excel at anything.
the theme is completely inconsistent. on one hand you have 2 brothers fighting for an island, then you have 8 ships stranded fighting to get rescued and for the third island you have nothing. and somehow they're all supposed to fit together? how? why?

the gameplay is also inconsistent. nothing liking the maps together and when it comes to the large map that has all the islands you realise the gameplay for all islands has changed to something completely different. why? what's the explanation for the gameplay change? are the brothers finished with the fighting? were the ships resqued?

the graphics are really bad, but this is a draft so i won't insist on this. i'll note just one thing. you need consistency with the theme and the gameplay. at the moment the gameplay differs, the theme differs but the graphics are identical.
oh and get rid of the effect on the shorelines it's completely unrealistic.

Re: Island Hoppers [15/6] P2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:08 pm
by koontz1973
Thanks DiM for the look in. I cmopletely agree with all of your points. Any ideas come to mind? I am sort of struggling with it this week and not had the time to give it a good going over.

Now that school is over, will give it another shot to see if I can find something that ties it all together. But this might be a tad to large for me to do alone. :(

Re: 3 islands [15/6] P2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:25 am
by koontz1973
After spending the night thinking, this is to big for me to do as one. Therefore, only the large map with the 3 islands will be completed for now. The 3 small ones can be done at a later date.

Will spend the next week getting this one map up to par.

Re: 3 islands [15/6] P2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:12 am
by nolefan5311
[MOVED] to Melting Pot per mapmakers request.