Conquer Club

WWII Scenarios

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

WWII Scenarios

Postby Vlasov on Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:55 am

This seems obvious, considering the large number of WWII-based maps. The idea is to build scenarios based on the actual historic situation (i.e. starting territories and army numbers) at a given point in history on a particular map. For example, "WWII 1939 scenario" on one of the WWII Europe maps would reflect the actual military/political situation in 1939, with territories and armies allocated to the major Allied and Axis powers (Britain, France, Nazi Germany, USSR, Italy). "WWII 1943" would also be interesting, since you would have US/Britain in place of France. Smaller nations would start as neutrals, or allied to the appropriate major power.

Other historical scenarios could be built for other real-world maps... such as the US Civil War map.

I hereby request access to the Beta site for designing scenarios.
Cadet Vlasov

Re: WWII Scenarios

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:23 pm

Vlasov wrote:This seems obvious, considering the large number of WWII-based maps. The idea is to build scenarios based on the actual historic situation (i.e. starting territories and army numbers) at a given point in history on a particular map. For example, "WWII 1939 scenario" on one of the WWII Europe maps would reflect the actual military/political situation in 1939, with territories and armies allocated to the major Allied and Axis powers (Britain, France, Nazi Germany, USSR, Italy). "WWII 1943" would also be interesting, since you would have US/Britain in place of France. Smaller nations would start as neutrals, or allied to the appropriate major power.

Other historical scenarios could be built for other real-world maps... such as the US Civil War map.

I hereby request access to the Beta site for designing scenarios.

Yea, I was doing this with bots (and let me tell you, they aren't co-operative like the scenario editor is).

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=203028

I'll forward your request.
â–‘â–’â–’â–“â–“â–“â–’â–’â–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby iancanton on Wed Jan 07, 2015 4:03 am

iancanton wrote:now that u're a beta tester, do u need any help setting up a scenario?

vlasov wrote:Hi -- thanks! I DO need help setting up a scenario. Is it true that scenarios can only bet set up using bot-playable games? How do I do it?

no, u can set up human scenarios too. bot-playable games are easier to test because u can do the initial testing by using bots. on the scenarios admin menu of the beta conquer club site, do u see the Add New command?

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Vlasov on Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:59 am

I've been working on that scenario ("ColdWar") -- trying to equalize the two sides. However when I click "Test" it goes to the CC sign-in screen.
Cadet Vlasov

Postby iancanton on Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:34 pm

the TEST button is for using bots to test human-versus-human scenarios. u can play human-versus-bot scenarios directly from the Start A Game page on the beta website.

i've played two coldwar games on the beta site. coldwar seems to work reasonably well as a bot game where the human player is the west and the bot is the east, with the east (red) going first. at this stage, i'm unsure whether this is only because major scrapmetal is easy to beat!

some cities are on the wrong side: bangkok is in thailand, which was part of seato and therefore on the western side; hong kong was a british colony and therefore on the western side; stockholm is in sweden, which was neutral; istanbul is in turkey, which was part of nato and therefore on the western side; mexico was neutral. try changing the colour of these cities to see what happens!

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Vlasov on Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:44 am

I made Bangkok red to reflect the Vietnam situation, and Hong Kong red to show that the region is owned by Red China -- also because Red needed more territories. I will adopt your other three suggestions.
Cadet Vlasov

Postby iancanton on Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:12 pm

i see the changes and notice that various testers have started 13 coldwar games, of which at least 8 have finished. perhaps u can play some games urself, to see whether this scenario plays as u expect. u can do this by going to the Start A Game page on the beta site and, on the Scenarios tab, clicking the Start button for coldwar.

when coldwar goes live, do u intend that it stays as human-versus-bot, or do u want it to be human-versus-human?

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Vlasov on Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:54 am

Every time I go to the scenarios and click "Start a Game" for ColdWar on the Beta site, I am returned to the original sign-in screen for the Beta site. What am I doing wrong? I haven't been able to test the scenario myself.

As for your question -- I suppose I would prefer it to be a 2-player Human game with the Trench option.

Incidentally, I noticed that my profile at the Beta site shows me as a non-Premium player with a game limit. Could that be the reason why I can't test the scenarios there?
Cadet Vlasov

Postby iancanton on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:39 am

courtesy of blakebowling, u are beta premium now, to match ur live premium status! does it work now? if it does and u want the actual scenario to be a 2-player human game, then change the red player from major scrapmetal to human before going to Start A Game, where one of the other testers will play against u.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Vlasov on Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:23 am

Many thanks to you and blakebowling for changing me to beta premium! It works now, and I was able to test my scenario (sadly, the bot won). I changed it to a 2-player human game with Trench, and tweaked some territory ownership and army numbers.

Question: Where do I go to find out how many testers have tried and/or finished a ColdWar game? Have any testers made comments on it?
Cadet Vlasov

Postby iancanton on Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:22 am

to change it to a human-v-human game, use the dropdown to select human instead of major scrapmetal (who is still red at the moment). click on the FIND GAMES link for a list of games played using that scenario. u might like to use the beta chat to ask for comments and link testers to this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=583&t=209957

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Vlasov on Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:48 am

More than once, I tried to change ColdWar to a human-vs-human game on the edit screen. I selected Human instead of Major Scrapmetal, clicked Display, and it didn't change. However my changes to initial territories and armies are accepted.

Also, I am (once again) unable to test the scenario! When I click Test, it returns me to the sign-in screen... just like before.

What's up?
Cadet Vlasov

Postby iancanton on Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:04 am

all of the current bots follow normal rules and not trench rules, so the TEST button doesn't work for trench just now. to test trench scenarios, u need to use the Start A Game page. to confirm that nothing is wrong with ur beta access, try the TEST button for one of someone else's non-trench scenarios.

it turns out that, at the moment, u cannot change a scenario from human-vs-bot to human-vs-human. if u want a human-vs-human coldwar scenario, then u'll have to set up a different scenario from scratch.

Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas