Conquer Club

Mappa Mundi - UPDATE 0.5 (24 Mar) - Poll

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Opinion on best font:

Total votes : 0

Mappa Mundi - UPDATE 0.5 (24 Mar) - Poll

Postby Balsiefen on Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:07 pm

Map Name: Mappa Mundi
Mapmaker(s): Balsiefen

Well hullo all, it's been a long time.

So I've been thinking of doing a map based on the medieval Mappae Mundi, particularly the Hereford mappa and the Dover one based off of it. I had an evening free today so I've thrown up a sketch of the small version. It should be a fun one to do as medieval maps are a great mix of wonky geography mixed in with Greek, Roman and Christian mythology. The further away from western Europe you get the more interesting things become.

Gameplay-wise, I'm anticipating this to be a moderately large map in terms of territories. (I haven't planned out all of it yet but the density of what's filled in should give an idea) Also I'm probably going to add extra gameplay based around Christian holy cities. Currently I am thinking +1 autodeploy for Rome, Constantinople and Alexandria which start out at neutral 4; +2 autodeploy for Jerusalem, starting as a neutral 5 and +4 autodeploy for Paridisos/Eden (the island at the top of the map) with neutral 10.
Eden should probably be only connected to Jerusalem but can be bombarded by the other holy cities.
I'm thinking I will place territories around the map that are able to one-way attack some or all of the holy cities.
Win conditions will be to hold all holy cities plus Eden.

Obviously the graphics are very early on also but some opinions on how easy things are to read (baring in mind this is the small map) would be useful. Beyond that, Medieval maps are always covered in fantastic and bizarre sketches. I'd love for the final map to look similar but I unfortunately lack the skills. If anyone is good enough with photoshop to lift images from existing mappae that could be placed on this one I'd be very happy, although it's still quite a bit away from that point.

Sources
http://www.williamcowley.co.uk/wp-conte ... 1-Copy.jpg Dover Map, main source - based off the Hereford Map
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... G_3895.JPG Hereford Map
http://swanrad.ch/mappaemundi/13_Isidor.jpg Ravenna Cosmography, probably the easiest one to read
https://expateastafrica.files.wordpress ... c-1300.jpg Ebsdorf Map

Current Map Image:
MM 0.4s
Click image to enlarge.

So I've gone back and done each continent with a different font. Which do you folks think look the best and fit the theme best? For all of these I've been as conservative as possible so there is the potential for increasing both the font size and the spacing between letters to increase clarity.

MM 0.5s
Click image to enlarge.

Filled in borders.

show: Previous Versions
Last edited by Balsiefen on Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Balsiefen

Location: The Ford of the Aldar in the East of the Kingdom of Lindissi

Re: Mappa Mundi

Postby Oneyed on Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:08 am

go for it. I like the idea.
remove boxes and I think the text do not need coloured frame. will you draw all map in old style (ornaments)?

Oneyed

PS: maybe superrsize would be fine for this map. just a little bigger as standard size.?
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby jcmagno on Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:21 am

I like the concept and love large maps...! :)

jc
General jcmagno

Postby Balsiefen on Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:44 am

Hopefully yes, I'd like to get as much ornamentation as possible without messing up the visuals. For now though I'll concentrate on getting a cleanish map that can be added to.

Supersize may well end up being a good idea, for now I've experimented with a new text style. If I'm keeping this I'll probably want to altar a few of the coastlines (Scotia, Wallia and Aquitania) but I thought I'd put it up first.

MM 0.2s
Click image to enlarge.

Edit: also a sketch of the territory names if anyone wants to check my Latin. All of these are subject to change of course.
Click image to enlarge.

Postby Oneyed on Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:37 pm

the font could be more easy.

Oneyed
Private 1st Class Oneyed

Postby iancanton on Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:30 pm

Balsiefen wrote:Well hullo all, it's been a long time.

welcome back to the foundry, balsiefen!

Balsiefen wrote:So I've been thinking of doing a map based on the medieval Mappae Mundi, particularly the Hereford mappa and the Dover one based off of it.

this sounds like an interesting project.

Balsiefen wrote:Gameplay-wise, I'm anticipating this to be a moderately large map in terms of territories.

Balsiefen wrote:I'd like to get as much ornamentation as possible without messing up the visuals.

perhaps u'd better restrict the number of regions. the shape of the playable area is not amenable to holding a large map comfortably, given that the theme, as u recognise, necessitates some medieval artistic flourishes.

Balsiefen wrote:Also I'm probably going to add extra gameplay based around Christian holy cities. Currently I am thinking +1 autodeploy for Rome, Constantinople and Alexandria which start out at neutral 4; +2 autodeploy for Jerusalem, starting as a neutral 5 and +4 autodeploy for Paridisos/Eden (the island at the top of the map) with neutral 10.
Eden should probably be only connected to Jerusalem but can be bombarded by the other holy cities.
I'm thinking I will place territories around the map that are able to one-way attack some or all of the holy cities.
Win conditions will be to hold all holy cities plus Eden.

our experience of maps such as castle lands and three kingdoms of china suggests that, to stop players from ignoring the holy cities in most games, the auto-deploys need to be at least +2 for n4, +3 for n5 and +5 for n7 or n8.

Balsiefen wrote:Supersize may well end up being a good idea

there has been a recent trend for an increase in the proportion of supersize maps being made at the same time as average screen sizes have been decreasing, now that many play on tablets and phones rather than on computers. for now, i am trying to encourage mapmakers to stay inside the usual size limits, unless to do so removes the essence of the map. the current image is higher than it is wide, which is the wrong way round.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby Balsiefen on Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm guessing the foundry is somewhat emptier than it used to be. I'll try to post in some other threads when I get time.

I've fiddled with the coasts to give me a bit more space (although I can see a couple of spots that'll need redoing) and I've got rid of a few territs. I've also upped the font size, is it more readable now?

MM 0.3s
Click image to enlarge.

Re: Mappa Mundi-palooza

Postby owenshooter on Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:04 pm

be back in 2 years to wade through the 56-70 pages and comment on what i think should have and could have been done to make it an overall better map... just being honest...-Jésus noir

"i'm just a sketch... yes, i'm only a sketch... and i'm sittin' here on CC's steps..."
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby Butters1919 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:55 am

Balsiefen wrote:I've also upped the font size, is it more readable now?

Not at all! That could be due to the font style and not the font size however...
Cook Butters1919

Postby Balsiefen on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:32 pm

It probably is the font I'm afraid, it's already larger than the fonts on most small maps. A shame, I was hoping to avoid losing the thematic aspects on that front.

Postby jcmagno on Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:56 am

Balsiefen wrote:It probably is the font I'm afraid, it's already larger than the fonts on most small maps. A shame, I was hoping to avoid losing the thematic aspects on that front.

Don't worry mate, i can't read nothing in many maps! but i play if the map is fun! ;)
General jcmagno

Postby Balsiefen on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:30 pm

So I've gone back and done each continent with a different font. Which do you folks think look the best and fit the theme best? For all of these I've been as conservative as possible so there is the potential for increasing both the font size and the spacing between letters to increase clarity.

Click image to enlarge.

Re: Mappa Mundi - UPDATE 0.4 (14 Mar) - Poll

Postby Balsiefen on Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:40 am

Postby waauw on Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:45 pm

Balsiefen wrote:So I've gone back and done each continent with a different font. Which do you folks think look the best and fit the theme best? For all of these I've been as conservative as possible so there is the potential for increasing both the font size and the spacing between letters to increase clarity.

I prefer orange because its slimness seems to make it the easiest to read. Though I have to admit the scandinavia font looks pretty.
Lieutenant waauw

Re: Mappa Mundi - UPDATE 0.5 (24 Mar) - Poll

Postby Balsiefen on Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:29 pm

I agree on the readability although I prefer green in terms of looks myself. Anyways, I've filled in the rest of the borders while I'm waiting.

Click image to enlarge.

Postby waauw on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:56 am

looks good, what's that blue island in the middle?
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Balsiefen on Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:32 pm

Delos, for some reason the mappae pretty commonly show it as a large island with a ring of smaller islands (presumably the Cyclades) around it.

Postby iancanton on Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:22 pm

the celtic-style orange font is attractive and easy to read.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas