Conquer Club

Ragnarök (Updated Midgard Pg 9) [Abandoned]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What style of map

Total votes : 0

Postby gimil on Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:03 pm

do the shadows the way youd usually do it then use the smudge to bring it down the hill
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Telvannia on Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:13 pm

gimil wrote:do the shadows the way youd usually do it then use the smudge to bring it down the hill

thing is it would be curved because it is on a hill, and i cant make it look right for some reason.

Do you like it apart from that?
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby gimil on Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:15 pm

it getting there but im still concerned about its lack of quality compatred to the 1st part

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Telvannia on Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:04 pm

i have put Vanaheimr with asgaror, into the final image.

the shadows are complete (apart from the wall one).

i need suggestions on how to improve Vanaheimr before i move on, probably to midgard.

Postby Kaplowitz on Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:48 pm

The grass in Vanaheimr is too dark, the shadow looks strange and what is the rainbow thingy?
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Telvannia on Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:59 am

Kaplowitz wrote:The grass in Vanaheimr is too dark, the shadow looks strange and what is the rainbow thingy?

the rainbow is bitfrost the bridge between asgaror and midgard

Postby Telvannia on Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:59 am

here is a completed Vanaheimr and a start of my Muspelheim:

i dont know what to do about Muspelheim though, it is the land of fire giants what can i add to it apart from fire?

Postby Coleman on Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:13 am

Telvannia wrote:i dont know what to do about Muspelheim though, it is the land of fire giants what can i add to it apart from fire?

I don't know much about Giant living arrangements, but I would say mountain caves of some sort. Reading more of your topic, because it hasn't interested me until now, I'd say volcanic caves if you can handle it. I saw your gold mine so I know you can do caves.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Telvannia on Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:01 am

Does anyone know have to draw a realistic river?

my river always seem to look unrealistic in shape. For example the one in my complete picture in Midgard.

I think i will leave Muspelheim for awhile.

Postby DiM on Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:18 am

Telvannia wrote:Does anyone know have to draw a realistic river?

my river always seem to look unrealistic in shape. For example the one in my complete picture in Midgard.

I think i will leave Muspelheim for awhile.

is this one ok?

here's how i did it.

1. make a blue background.
2. on layer 2 come with a green brush and do the land
3. then using various sizes of eraser cut a path in the land and the blue background will be visible.
4. add inner bevel to land
5. using dodge and burn on the 2 layers create shades to represent the waves and to make different shades on the land
6. using stamp tool make the fuzzy beginning of the river to represent the spring.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby gimil on Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:57 am

what brush did you use for the trees?

was it a photoshop defult?

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby DiM on Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:03 am

gimil wrote:what brush did you use for the trees?

was it a photoshop defult?

i don't remember exactly what brush but yes it was a default brush which i modified extensively. i tweaked the scattering the shape dynamics, the color dynamics other dynamics wet edges smoothing and the layer had shadows and bevel
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Telvannia on Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:25 am

DiM wrote:is this one ok?

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w250/DiM-topia/Clipboard01.jpg

here's how i did it.

1. make a blue background.
2. on layer 2 come with a green brush and do the land
3. then using various sizes of eraser cut a path in the land and the blue background will be visible.
4. add inner bevel to land
5. using dodge and burn on the 2 layers create shades to represent the waves and to make different shades on the land
6. using stamp tool make the fuzzy beginning of the river to represent the spring.

that is the sort of thing, i will see if i can get something like that.

im trying to upgrade my gimp right now to the latest version so there might not be a new river for a bit, depends how the upgrade goes.

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:30 am

Guys, take it to PM.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby DiM on Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:38 am

KEYOGI wrote:Guys, take it to PM.

why? we're talking about the map not about ponies and marshmallows.

he asked how he can do a river for his map and i gave him feedback.
:wink:
Major DiM

Postby KEYOGI on Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:47 am

DiM, you're not talking about development of the map, you're sharing graphic tips and advice. This is something I do on a regular basis with other cartographers, but do you see me clogging up people's threads with this sort of discussion? No. Because it's not appropriate. Andy said as much in the Feudal Wars thread and I've said so many times myself. This sort of discussion should take place via PM, email, instant messaging, etc. Just keep it out of map threads.
Sergeant 1st Class KEYOGI

Postby DiM on Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:54 am

KEYOGI wrote:DiM, you're not talking about development of the map, you're sharing graphic tips and advice. This is something I do on a regular basis with other cartographers, but do you see me clogging up people's threads with this sort of discussion? No. Because it's not appropriate. Andy said as much in the Feudal Wars thread and I've said so many times myself. This sort of discussion should take place via PM, email, instant messaging, etc. Just keep it out of map threads.

yes tips and advice on how to make his map. we're not talking about general advices but specific ones.

i agree the discussion could be carried out in private but i'd rather stick to having it here for the following 2 reasons:

1. being in an open thread the tips can be seen by others and they might learn something new or see the discussion and intervene to improve it.
2. when you look in a thread it's nice to see everything that lead to the creation of a map including tips and tricks and discussions like these.

as for your feudal wars example if you remember at some point gimil asked for a mine. both me and telvannia offered to help each with his own method and results.

however if gimil had decided to ask me for a mine graphic via pm probably telvannia would have never known and thus would have never shared it's method which was a better one. discussions like these not only help other people learn something new but they primarily help the improvement of the map.
Major DiM

Postby Telvannia on Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:29 pm

here is a my current midgard:
(my upgrading took less time than i thought it would and it worked first time.)
my current version is only showing geographical features (might add some mountains at some point but that has to be done later

main things are what people think of my background. I can start adding territories and stuff when the back ground is done.

I need to decide what to do with the edges of this part of the map, because it cant just be a wall like in hte last two

just noticed one or two things out on the edge of the sea. They need to be touched up.

Postby Coleman on Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:29 pm

Not sure I like all the dots in the lake.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Telvannia on Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:31 pm

Coleman wrote:Not sure I like all the dots in the lake.

they are meant to be rocks in the river, i need to try and blend them in a bit more the river is far from the finished version.
I want to try and do it in the style of the river part i posted in the feudral wars topic

Telvannia wrote:i played around with part of the river a bit to make it look a bit more realistic, you probably wont have everything i have but into my bit of river because that would look weird, but try spreading out the things i used.
I dont know if you like it though.

Postby Coleman on Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:50 pm

Yeah, what makes the rocks in that picture nice is the river has the illusion of motion with the light marks behind the rocks. If you made the rocks in your river grayer and found a good way to add this effect it would go a long way.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby gimil on Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:56 pm

bevel the rocks that will add a nice light and shadow effect

Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Telvannia on Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:11 pm

I will see what i can do, see if i can get this river to look near perfect then i can move on to other bits, by the way, is the river slightly big?

Postby Coleman on Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:16 pm

Telvannia wrote:I will see what i can do, see if i can get this river to look near perfect then i can move on to other bits, by the way, is the river slightly big?

I'd say no considering the sizes of your buildings in the other continents.

Edit: Did someone change say to so to make me look stupid? Or am I really that scatter brained?
Last edited by Coleman on Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby DiM on Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:04 pm

the river looks good. it will look even better if you do what coleman said about the motion.
Major DiM

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas