Conquer Club

Famine V.19.3 pg1+35 [I] [Reworking]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Continue, vacation, or abandon?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:23 pm

Total votes : 0

Postby bryguy on Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:15 pm

Herakilla wrote:
bryguy wrote:and also plz note that when i had been starting to work on this map for the first time, i had no clue there was a feudal wars map being made. I only found out about it when i told DiM and gimil about it in a game i was doing against them

i have one thing to say about that!

BULL!

its not bull, check this game: http://conquerclub.com/game.php?game=1434606

read what we said
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:00 pm

ok im am sick and tired of people thinking that this is another version of Feudal, ITS NOT
Corporal bryguy

Postby DiM on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:04 pm

bryguy wrote:ok im am sick and tired of people thinking that this is another version of Feudal, ITS NOT

instead of arguing here better do that next update and show people that this map has potential.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby bryguy on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:47 pm

DiM wrote:
bryguy wrote:ok im am sick and tired of people thinking that this is another version of Feudal, ITS NOT

instead of arguing here better do that next update and show people that this map has potential.

yea im right now reducing the size of the numbers, adding names, and anything else i can think of
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:58 pm

oh and for the names, im having to just make up names
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:22 pm

Corporal bryguy

Postby edbeard on Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:07 pm

I'd like the Fishing Dock to have some type of graphic with it. All the other ones have one. And, I'm not talking about the dock. Other non-resource places have a dock.

Famine is not explained well enough. People aren't going to know what that means. Something like that has to be spelled out a bit more.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby Coleman on Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:22 pm

note: this poll was concluded before a real draft was provided so the results make sense, nobody knew what was going on. Could benefit a retake.

Do u like this idea??
    Yes - 25% [ 4 ]
    No - 75% [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 16
Sergeant Coleman

Postby bryguy on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:04 am

edbeard wrote:I'd like the Fishing Dock to have some type of graphic with it. All the other ones have one. And, I'm not talking about the dock. Other non-resource places have a dock.

ok yea, i thought about that yesterday, but didnt have time to add anything

edbeard wrote:Famine is not explained well enough. People aren't going to know what that means. Something like that has to be spelled out a bit more.

ok, what do u suggest?? something like that the larger the territory number, the more famine affects it?
Last edited by bryguy on Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal bryguy

Postby Tieryn on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:35 am

It has to be made so that a person can completely understand what is going to happen to their troops at the beginning of a turn, without them having to read the accompanying forum thread :P. "Beware of famine" is not enough of an explanation. Perhaps "Famine affects the lands, each territory will lose x armies (depending on size? not sure how this is working) unless a nearby resource is held...
Sergeant 1st Class Tieryn

Postby Tieryn on Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:37 am

also. how far away can a resource be to fix famine? do you just have to hold one resource, and no famine affects you? that's not logical, that pears will stop you losing armies in Moor, or whatever.

Also perhaps colour code for severity of famine???
Sergeant 1st Class Tieryn

Postby bryguy on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:04 am

Tieryn wrote:also. how far away can a resource be to fix famine? do you just have to hold one resource, and no famine affects you? that's not logical, that pears will stop you losing armies in Moor, or whatever.

hmm, thats true, how about something like that 1 resource will counter famine 3-6, and 2 will counter famine 7-10, and 3 will counter famine 11?

Tieryn wrote:Also perhaps colour code for severity of famine???

hmm, thats a good idea, but could u explain a little more?
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:05 am

Tieryn wrote:It has to be made so that a person can completely understand what is going to happen to their troops at the beginning of a turn, without them having to read the accompanying forum thread :P. "Beware of famine" is not enough of an explanation. Perhaps "Famine affects the lands, each territory will lose x armies (depending on size? not sure how this is working) unless a nearby resource is held...

oh ok, how about "Famine affects the land, the larger famine number, the more it affects you"???
Corporal bryguy

Postby DiM on Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:46 pm

i have a problem with the gameplay. with famine to be more exact. if i understand this right if you have 11 terits or more you have -5 bonus.
and that' a real problem because in theory nobody can win this game.

let's assume i start with cardoce castle. obviously to win i have to get out of my castle and kill the others. from cardoce obviously i'll take corn which puts me to 3 terits and a bonus of -1. which basically eliminates the corn bonus. not worth it. so i won't take corn and instead i'll build in cardoce and plan to strike the closest castle. which is elifan and the quickest route means i'll have 7 terits when i reach the castle gates. that means i'll have -3 from famine so i'll have just +1 per turn. with such a shitty bonus and with all the troops i lost battling neutrals i surely won't be able to take elifan.

basically what i'm saying is that the famine is too high. the resources are usless. if i get 5 resources i will gain nothing because i'll be so stretched famine will kill me.

so the only way to win is to sit and build on your castle and hope some guy doesn't understand what famine is and stretches too far then go on the quickest route and take his castle.

also i'm curious what will happen when a guy gets -5 for famine and +4 for castle. he'll have a negative deployment. :lol:
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby bryguy on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:07 pm

DiM wrote:i have a problem with the gameplay. with famine to be more exact. if i understand this right if you have 11 terits or more you have -5 bonus.
and that' a real problem because in theory nobody can win this game.

let's assume i start with cardoce castle. obviously to win i have to get out of my castle and kill the others. from cardoce obviously i'll take corn which puts me to 3 terits and a bonus of -1. which basically eliminates the corn bonus. not worth it. so i won't take corn and instead i'll build in cardoce and plan to strike the closest castle. which is elifan and the quickest route means i'll have 7 terits when i reach the castle gates. that means i'll have -3 from famine so i'll have just +1 per turn. with such a shitty bonus and with all the troops i lost battling neutrals i surely won't be able to take elifan.

basically what i'm saying is that the famine is too high. the resources are usless. if i get 5 resources i will gain nothing because i'll be so stretched famine will kill me.

so the only way to win is to sit and build on your castle and hope some guy doesn't understand what famine is and stretches too far then go on the quickest route and take his castle.

also i'm curious what will happen when a guy gets -5 for famine and +4 for castle. he'll have a negative deployment. :lol:

yea i have to make this more clear

see the numbers in the corners of the territorys? that tells u how much famine will affect that territory. So if a territory has a 1 in the corner, then it wont getaffected by famine, if it has an 11 in the corner, than u will lose 5 for holding it wihtout a resource
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:32 am

TO-DO(as far as i know for)
  • Make famine understandable
  • Add some graphix to the fishing dock to make it unique

let me know if i missed something
Corporal bryguy

Postby InkL0sed on Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:30 pm

You can hold half the map with just one dock.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby bryguy on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:52 am

InkL0sed wrote:You can hold half the map with just one dock.

no you cant
Corporal bryguy

Postby edbeard on Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:24 pm

bryguy wrote:
InkL0sed wrote:You can hold half the map with just one dock.

no you cant

well it sure looks like Rongar is the only border from South to North
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:37 pm

btw why did you "borrow" several names from AoR??
Major DiM

Postby bryguy on Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:21 am

DiM wrote:btw why did you "borrow" several names from AoR??

oh i didnt notice that i had, could u point out which ones??
Corporal bryguy

Postby DiM on Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:11 pm

bryguy wrote:

rongar, mor...

plus several others that you switched 2 letters:

like aohe instead of aheo

there may be more i didn't look at all the names.
Major DiM

Postby bryguy on Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:08 pm

DiM wrote:
bryguy wrote:

rongar, mor...

plus several others that you switched 2 letters:

like aohe instead of aheo

there may be more i didn't look at all the names.

didnt know rongar was from AoR, and Mor i had thought might be, but i can change both

and for aohe instead of aheo i was trying to think of names starting with a and for some reason i came up with aohe
Corporal bryguy

Postby bryguy on Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:19 pm

changes:

added rivers and lakes
added more territories
put some stuff on fishing dock
moved a beach
tried to explain famine better

sorry it took like a month to get this up
Corporal bryguy

Postby zimmah on Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:32 pm

negatives

point 1:

i don't know what the hell you mean with 'famine'

point 2:

i don't see the purpose of the resources well enough explained

point 3:

i don't like the grapics

point 4:

the name 'fram' and 'farm' look alike too much, please change 'fram' to something else.

positives

point 1:

if worked out well enough, it could be a nice addition to the conquest maps

point 2:

finaly a map designedfor 8 players
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas