Conquer Club

QWERTY Keyboard - Brand New Design [vacation]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Should this map be forged?

Total votes : 0

Re: QWERTY Keyboard - Is it ready? p1/17

Postby tenio on Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:19 pm

my brother just got a new labtop. i could take a picture of that if you wanted
Cadet tenio

Postby Cherry pepsi? on Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:26 pm

hello i read your message tyrien sorry if i miss spell ur name, but this seems to be comming a long great designs good and the over all of this is good 1 suggestion tyrien: you may want to put the territorys more easier to read if you put them up there like ex: F1-F12 (4) but thats probally maybe not a territory since i don't have it in front of me or you can make it color coded like yellow (4) or so on and so on but great job hope to see the map soon =D>
Corporal 1st Class Cherry pepsi?

Postby barterer2002 on Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:46 pm

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with Marvaddin. To me, the great thing about the maps of CC is the variety. There are certainly some that I dislike and don't play often but those very ones are the maps that someone else may list as their favorites. Having a different type of map like the one Tieryn is proposing here seems to me to fall into the same categories as Crossword, KOM or Chinese Checkers etc. They're not for everyone but there are certainly those who enjoy them.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby Tieryn on Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:24 am

Okay, so I haven't read anything new till I get home, but I'm just pasting an e-mail from Logitech support that fixes any copyright problems with the current image.

Response (Joaquin) 04/02/2008 01:15 AM
Hello Chris,

Thank you for your e-mail and your support for Logitech products. I am Joaquin and I will be assisting you with your inquiries regarding case ID (080401-002755).

From your email, I understand that you would like to know whether you will be able to use an image of our QWERTY keyboard on your website. Please let me know if I have misunderstood your issue.

Chris, you can use the image of our products in your website as long as you do not claim them as your product. I have taken a look on your website and I see there is nothing wrong with you using the image of the keyboard.

I hope that I have managed to answer your questions. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to let me know and I will do my very best to answer them.

Thank you for your support and for choosing Logitech.

Sincerely,

Joaquin
Logitech Technical Support
http://www.Logitech.com/support

Australia 02 88501192
Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm East (Sydney)

New Zealand 09 476 4620
Monday – Friday, 11am – 7pm, NZ Time

Disclaimer:
Please note that your incident request has reached the AP Email Support team. We are currently supporting the end-users of Logitech products for the Asia Pacific region. If you are currently from a different location, please inform us or update your contact details to allow us to submit your query to the appropriate region for more help and assistance.
Customer (Chris Coman) 04/01/2008 07:14 AM
Hi there, I'm currently in the process of making a map for an online gaming site, http://www.conquerclub.com. The map I have made is based on the QWERTY keyboard, and I have used a photo of one of your keyboards as my base image. I have been informed that this might be some kind of copyright breach, so I was hoping you could pass this along and see if anyone can give me an answer on whether I am allowed to use the photo that is shown on the following forum

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=41027&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Regards,
Chris Coman.
Sergeant 1st Class Tieryn

Postby Tieryn on Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:28 am

DiM wrote:
yeti_c wrote:BTW - I voted yes twice as I was intrigued by the Checkbox and not the radio buttons...

Although I'm with DiM - and feel you are far from finished.

C.

i voted yes twice also as i wasn't aware we can make multiple choice polls. :lol:

ahh you've uncovered my plan! :P

Postby oaktown on Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:14 pm

Alright, Tieryn, you've brought in the cavalry with the PMs, and I'm glad to see you're getting some feedback. Here's what I've got for ya...

• bonuses look better. The word list is more precise - sometimes lessis more. For the sake of keeping things simpler you may want to consider losing the shift requirement for capitals.

• the legend is nice on the monitor. Graphically is would be cool if you made the image on the screen look like a conquer club forum page, with a "Word Menu" down the left where the "Game Menu" is. It is, however, a lot to read. Personally I don't want to play a map that I don't think I can figure out in a less than two minutes, though I recognize that there are others that feel differently so I'm not about to hold up a map for being complex. Whatever can be done to make it easier on the mind and on the eye would only improve the map.

• connections... the green dots work for me. Many of the other connections, however, could still make for some confusing gameplay. Other than the green dots, you need to rely on the legend to know who attacks what. The colors help, but if anybody can suggest additional graphic clues I think it would help the map immensely.

• using a photo for the basic image. I'm usually a stickler for copyright issues, but I think that in this case you can get away with taking a photo posted on the internet without copyright notice and altering it sufficiently. My question isn't so much can you do it, but should you do it. I just don't think it looks right somehow, but I'll leave that to the graphics monkeys.

Oh, and I saw something about resetting the poll - I can delete it if that's what you want, and I'll post the current votes. Drop me a PM and I'll do it ASAP.
Captain oaktown

Postby Tieryn on Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:52 am

So when I get some time, in a few weeks, I will create a whole keyboard from scratch, not using the photos, for the graphics monkeys out there. My idea is that it could be like a laptop keyboard, and I think I could make that work nicely...

As far as visual clues go, an immediate thought is an "L" and "R" or left hand and right hand on the keys, to show connectedness? then all "L"s can attack, all "R"s can attack. The control keys would have a special L or R (or hand, diff colour? to show one way?) and then other connections would just be by adjacency.... how does that sound?

The trick will be fitting it on the keys... I'll see what I can do, but nothing will happen for a week or two, as I'm just in the last weeks of term and hecticly busy. Then I"m away for a week. but hopefully after that I'll be able to do my 5th recreate :P

Postby yeti_c on Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:43 am

Tieryn wrote:As far as visual clues go, an immediate thought is an "L" and "R" or left hand and right hand on the keys, to show connectedness? then all "L"s can attack, all "R"s can attack. The control keys would have a special L or R (or hand, diff colour? to show one way?) and then other connections would just be by adjacency.... how does that sound?

The trick will be fitting it on the keys... I'll see what I can do, but nothing will happen for a week or two, as I'm just in the last weeks of term and hecticly busy. Then I"m away for a week. but hopefully after that I'll be able to do my 5th recreate :P

Personally - I think you should just drop the all left can attack each other - and just go for bordering keys... each key is gonna have at least 4 borders as it is... therefore will be tricky enough to hold without being able to be attacked from everywhere.

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Tieryn on Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:26 am

Hey you know.. that's not a bad idea... that solves legend size too...

There can still be all the toher funky like left controls attack right keys, right controls attack left keys thing tho.. I like that.

Re: QWERTY Keyboard - New Remake - p19

Postby Tieryn on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:38 am

Okay, so here's the newest design... It's early days yet... What do you think?

Last edited by Tieryn on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby yeti_c on Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:51 am

What's the weird hole in the middle for?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby gimil on Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:13 am

Your welcome for the PSD btw.
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby Tieryn on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:14 am

gimil wrote:Your welcome for the PSD btw.

Yeah thanks Gimil :) I was thinking of "key by gimil" somewhere maybe :P haha. I dunno.

I tried making my own one, looking for the deeper cut, but then I thought in terms of a laptop keyboard, that style is probably more appropros.

Postby Tieryn on Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:16 am

yeti_c wrote:What's the weird hole in the middle for?

C.

I was thinking of putting a laptop "nipple" there... it's really just as an impassible border separating parts of the keyboard for gameplay. "ergonomicish". the split is along the appropriate line, but I coudl just as easily grow the keys in the middle to fit the hole if wanted.

Re: QWERTY Keyboard - Brand New Design - Started p19 (early days

Postby TaCktiX on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:57 am

I like it! Keep up the work from there and this map will start looking bling before you know it.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby kerntheconkerer on Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:45 pm

neat idea...
if i was making it i would use the keyboard that is kinda like 2 pieces, with the division in the middle, to spread it out. maybe you could give a bonus if someone owns like a diagonal row of keys...
"Why so Serious?"
<(‘.’<) ^(‘.’)^ (>’.’)>
Corporal 1st Class kerntheconkerer

Postby Ogrecrusher on Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:16 am

Yes! That's much more like it. This could go places now!
Colonel Ogrecrusher

Postby tenio on Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:35 pm

so any updates?
Cadet tenio

Postby Tieryn on Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:08 am

Not Yet sorry folks. I've been on holidays and now I'm preapring everytihnf ro next term.. hopefully nest week or the week after I'll get to have some time to play, so I'll move it forward then. Thanks for all the commentary and suggestions, I've taken a number of them on board, and will be adressing the others when I get a chance to.

Keep your eyes peeled... use that carrot peeler there. you'll be able to see the "halls of blood" map really well!
(discliamer: there is no current halls of blood map, and no I'm not creating one :P)

Oak - for the connections, could you handle the green dots -only- inside the image, so show vertical/diagonal connections only. And it is stated that all keys attack horizontally along their rows.

I've make up a "to do" list, and procrastinate on my CC work, as much as I've been putting off the work I -have- to get done for Monday. But that will come with time :)

Cya'll soon!

Postby XIUYAN1 on Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:36 am

this is great. This must be a lot of work.
thanks!
New Recruit XIUYAN1

Postby Ditocoaf on Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:27 pm

Those holes aren't necessary. The "A" key is almost never directly underneath the "Q" key--it's just a little offset. So make the caps, enter, and shift keys a little longer, and remove that gap. please.

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Postby laci_mae on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:48 am

Don't get too excited. We haven't heard a peep out of this map since April.

LMR
Corporal 1st Class laci_mae

Postby bryguy on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:46 am

your gonna have to wait a looooooong while if im correct, cause i think tieryn either gave up map making or quit cc
Corporal bryguy

Postby Tieryn on Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:21 am

combination of the two. I've just been stupidly busy at work this term. hopefully next term I'll have a bit of free time to get back onto this. I still want to finish it, but yeh, my free time is negligent at the moment, and what I do have, I have other priorities for at the moment :P but yeh. Thanks for the continued support :P I'll get onto it when possible.

Previous

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas