Conquer Club

Caspian Sea Map (updated!)

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby whitestazn88 on Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:33 pm

do the seas attack anything touching them??? that would make holding continents pretty damn hard
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby jasnostj on Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:58 am

Kaplowitz, do me a favour and leave this nonsense where you found it. The only good thing Reverend did to it was abandoning it. I'm glad I've got Qwert on my side now (not the first time) to prove that this thing is an insult.

If you want to put your energy into an abandoned map of this part of the world that does make sense, geographically and historically, and has a more original bonus system, have a look at my Caucasus map: http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewto ... 675#522675. I know, it is ugly, but I'm sure you will be able to make something of it. I am more than willing to help you with it.
Private jasnostj

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:13 am

hm, that map is really complicated i just wanted to make a fairly simple map that i knew a lot of people already liked. You could help me make it more correct, but no one has given any suggestions-- they just say that its wrong.
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby Emperor_Metalman on Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:28 am

The number of borders for the Purple continent should be reduced, and the bonus for the orange continent should be increased.
Also, the Caspian and Black sea should start off neutral.

Otherwise the map is good
Sergeant 1st Class Emperor_Metalman

Postby Guiscard on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:08 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:hm, that map is really complicated i just wanted to make a fairly simple map that i knew a lot of people already liked. You could help me make it more correct, but no one has given any suggestions-- they just say that its wrong.

What they're saying is that Turkey does not border the Caspian sea. Azerbaijan does. And both Armenia and Georgia should really be on the map.

qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:10 pm

All three of those countries are territories. Some of the territories in the map are part of Turkey.

Postby jasnostj on Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:53 pm

Kaplowitz wrote:hm, that map is really complicated i just wanted to make a fairly simple map that i knew a lot of people already liked. You could help me make it more correct, but no one has given any suggestions-- they just say that its wrong.

The Caucasus region IS really complicated, one of the most complicated regions in the world in fact. Similar things could be said about the other side of the Caspian, you would really not do Central Asia right with this map. It deserves a lot better.

I did make some suggestions to Reverend, but he chose to ignore them. Check the original post and you will find it. But honestly, I think this map is beyond repair.
Private jasnostj

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:01 pm

Well i definitely will NOT ignore you, i dont want to offend anyone with a a couple of gfx pixels. Are you sure you dont have any suggestions to make it better? I dont want to just stop because of that. Not even a compromise?

Postby Qwert on Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:00 pm

What better sugestion you want?If someon say that turkey not have any terittory in caspian sea,and that Armenia,Georgia and Azebejan is independent states and not part of turkey,you will say oposite.
You get very good map from Guiscard(map with original country borders,from Wikipedia)and these is good start for creating Countrys.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:44 pm

What if i make those into no country and give a +1 for every two held?

Postby jasnostj on Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:17 pm

Well, the first thing I wondered about when I first saw Reverend's effort, was in what era this is supposed to be set. It makes a lot of difference. If it is supposed to be a modern map, then this thing doesn't make sense and the only way to go would be to draw a whole new map following the modern borders, as Qwert suggests. Some of the names (like Cardechu, an ancient name for Kurdistan) and the bonus continents however suggests a map that is set somewhere in antiquity (other names are modern, like Sverdlovsk, with an s, which was the Soviet name for Yekaterinburg, and some names, like Blaine, are completely fictitious!). You would have to study historical maps to see if there is any moment in history that this can be linked to.
Private jasnostj

Postby Kaplowitz on Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:29 pm

Lets worry about the continents before the territories.

Is this an improvement?

Postby Riazor on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:04 pm

you might want to make the sea territories like in the great lakes map. Not connect to everything they touch, but to some countries only (shown by arrows)?

Tha caspian sea now has a boatload of borders right now... i dont know if thats good
Lieutenant Riazor

Postby edbeard on Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:16 pm

kaplowitz, no offense but this map is going in the same direction as all your maps.

you have a good direction and people give you feedback, but you either don't make the changes that many people suggest, or you do make the change but the difference is so minor that it makes no difference at all. for whatever reason, you make big strange changes that change the direction of the map completely and often just don't make any sense.

1. contact RK and ask for permission to continue the map. anything you do before this is almost useless.

2. go back and re-read the feedback you've been given.

3. make some of those changes that people have suggested.

4. don't put things on the map that aren't going to be there in the final version. eg; that arrow that says you get a +1 autodeploy for that region. That doesn't even belong there anyway. you had a pretty good standard map going before that.
Lieutenant edbeard

Postby jasnostj on Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:51 am

jasnostj wrote:Well, the first thing I wondered about when I first saw Reverend's effort, was in what era this is supposed to be set. It makes a lot of difference. If it is supposed to be a modern map, then this thing doesn't make sense and the only way to go would be to draw a whole new map following the modern borders, as Qwert suggests. Some of the names (like Cardechu, an ancient name for Kurdistan) and the bonus continents however suggests a map that is set somewhere in antiquity (other names are modern, like Sverdlovsk, with an s, which was the Soviet name for Yekaterinburg, and some names, like Blaine, are completely fictitious!). You would have to study historical maps to see if there is any moment in history that this can be linked to.

Kaplowitz, I did a little studying, and it seems that the continent that is erroneously called Iraq on this map, coincides roughly with the Kingdom of Armenia during some time in antiquity (which makes it clear that the territory that is called Armenia on this map is in the wrong place). What is called Iran here, should then be called Media, Tabriz and Kermanshah should be part of it. I haven't found an exact period yet, or what was happening on the other shores of the Caspian at the time, but it is a start.

I still think that this map is a waste of time and should be replaced by a map (preferably mine) in which the unique character of this region*, as well as its many troubles in recent history, are properly reflected. I'm sure it would make a great CC game board. However, I am always willing to shed a little light on matters if I am asked to do so.

(*If you are interested in the Caucasus region: there are several non-fiction books written about it, and one literary masterpiece I would really recommend, "Ali and Nino", by Kurban Said. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_and_nino)
Private jasnostj

Postby Qwert on Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:31 am

Kaplowits,its look that you dont want to know nothing abouth Caspian sea,you just present same map,but without Turkey names country,why you not go in Wikipedia how people sugested? Its better to read something about Caspian sea before you continue work on these map.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Re: Caspian Sea Map (updated!)

Postby mike12345 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:35 am

Kaplowitz wrote:--Update 1--

--Original Post--
Its a shame RK was permabanned...he never finished this best wooden lake maps.
(http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewto ... aspian+sea)
So i decided to make it, kept it the same tho.

Here's an earlyish draft:

It was pretty popular when it was abandoned

Hello Kaplowitz,
Thanks for posting this updated Caspian Sea map.
One of my friend need it.
New Recruit mike12345

Re: Caspian Sea Map (updated!)

Postby riskllama on Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:51 pm

is your "friend" planning on finishing it? llama supports this.
Lieutenant riskllama

Previous

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas