Conquer Club

Conquer Club Racing [abandoned]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer Club Racing

Postby MrBenn on Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:44 am

I like this idea - there is a lot of potential here.

My intial thoughts:

1. You need to make sure your lanes are wide enough for 3-digit numbers (especially on the ups/downs)

2. I'd like to see your first draft to get an idea of where you're going to put power-ups, checkpoints etc... it has been taken off your first post.

3. I'll have a think about bonus/power-up suggestions - I'm sure there are more that you could implement.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby TaCktiX on Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:01 am

I really don't like the 8 lanes. That just screams "I'M ADAPTING THIS FOR CC AND REMOVING REALITY, GIVE ME A SECOND HERE". Instead, why not stick with the four lane idea, and have a 4x2 "starting matrix", all of which are only able to attack past the starting line (i.e., no insta-kills). Also, I think it should look more like a Formula One track instead of Indy or Stock (i.e., twists and turns, very little "I only know how to turn left!"). Find a real-life track and use it for inspiration if need be.
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby seamusk on Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:44 pm

Not to almost always disagree with you TaCk but I like the 8 lanes rather than trying to force 8 racers into 4 at all points.
Lieutenant seamusk

Postby Ethitts on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:18 pm

Another update:

1. Added some temporary text just so people have an idea of what's going on.
2. Added 3 types of power-ups at different places on the map.
3. Added a burning car off the track.

Once again, more later!
Major Ethitts

Postby Ethitts on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:20 pm

Oops, made a mistake. The start shouldn't be auto-deploy. Also the booster should probably be 3 territories ahead, not 6.
Major Ethitts

Postby MrBenn on Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:17 pm

Ethitts - please can you post your updated image here in the thread as well as on the 1st post - it saves clicking around trying to tally up comments to the map version, and then you can see the image on the thread preview when posting a reply.

Also please could you add [url] links to the 1st post for your earlier drafts - this is helpful as people can see the changes that have been ,made, and can help to avoid circular changes/arguments.

Ethitts wrote:Another update:

1. Added some temporary text just so people have an idea of what's going on.
2. Added 3 types of power-ups at different places on the map.
3. Added a burning car off the track.

Once again, more later!

Click image to enlarge.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Ditocoaf on Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:03 pm

Great idea! I can tell that this will change a lot as it goes through the foundry's blender, but I think this map has a lot of promise. I really like the concept.

>----------✪ Try to take down the champion in the continuous IPW/GIL tournament! ✪----------<

Note to self: THINK LESS LIVE MORE
Private 1st Class Ditocoaf

Postby Ethitts on Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:34 am

MrBenn wrote:Ethitts - please can you post your updated image here in the thread as well as on the 1st post - it saves clicking around trying to tally up comments to the map version, and then you can see the image on the thread preview when posting a reply.

Also please could you add [url] links to the 1st post for your earlier drafts - this is helpful as people can see the changes that have been ,made, and can help to avoid circular changes/arguments.

Ok, I'll do that from now on. Sorry, but I am still quite new at this.
Major Ethitts

Postby max is gr8 on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:26 pm

what advantage do you have holding the pit stop? none
I think the 3 spaces behind mines should be killers (so the mines actually effect) and the 3 infront of missiles are gone
In both of those 2 cases I am talking about the one directly infront, one front and left the one front and right
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby Ethitts on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:30 pm

max is gr8 wrote:what advantage do you have holding the pit stop? none
I think the 3 spaces behind mines should be killers (so the mines actually effect) and the 3 infront of missiles are gone
In both of those 2 cases I am talking about the one directly infront, one front and left the one front and right

Yea sorry, still a work in progress. The reason for the pit stop not having an advantage was because I hadn't decided on an actual advantage yet. All bonuses/power-up locations etc are subject to change. Your ideas/suggestions are welcome, keep em coming and the faster this map will progress! Cheers.

As for the killers behind the neutrals, what exactly do you mean? If you get the mine then the territories behind become killers? I'm not sure if that's possible or not, if it is then yea, that's a great idea.
Major Ethitts

Postby MrBenn on Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:12 pm

Ethitts wrote:
MrBenn wrote:Ethitts - please can you post your updated image here in the thread as well as on the 1st post - it saves clicking around trying to tally up comments to the map version, and then you can see the image on the thread preview when posting a reply.

Ok, I'll do that from now on. Sorry, but I am still quite new at this.

No problem ;-) - I wasn't criticising at all - just trying to make it easier to follow the devlopment of what I think has some really good potential.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Juan_Bottom on Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:46 pm

I think this map should either be a realistic race, or a cheesy one. The difference between Gran Turismo, and Mario Kart, ya know? If there is going to be power-ups, and fallen trees and such, then I'd go cheesy. Mixing the two just doesn't feel right.
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby Ethitts on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:33 am

Juan_Bottom wrote:I think this map should either be a realistic race, or a cheesy one. The difference between Gran Turismo, and Mario Kart, ya know? If there is going to be power-ups, and fallen trees and such, then I'd go cheesy. Mixing the two just doesn't feel right.

I am aiming for more of the Mario Kart style. So I want it too be cartooney. One idea I have is to make it a GIF and have the power-ups 'bounce' up and down on a map, or 'twist' around like they do on many games.
Major Ethitts

Postby ZeakCytho on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:46 am

I think this map would work better as a Gran Turismo style map. If you can do highly realistic graphics, this map will look amazing. Definitely don't make distracting animations for the map.
Captain ZeakCytho

Postby Ethitts on Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:52 am

ZeakCytho wrote:I think this map would work better as a Gran Turismo style map. If you can do highly realistic graphics, this map will look amazing. Definitely don't make distracting animations for the map.

I think with the power-ups and other additions a realistic map wouldn't suit. Also, I'm just not capable of making a highly realistic map.
Major Ethitts

Postby Juan_Bottom on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:07 am

Ethitts wrote:
ZeakCytho wrote:I think this map would work better as a Gran Turismo style map. If you can do highly realistic graphics, this map will look amazing. Definitely don't make distracting animations for the map.

I think with the power-ups and other additions a realistic map wouldn't suit. Also, I'm just not capable of making a highly realistic map.

I wouldn't mind seeing either version. A Gran-Tourismo style would make the map more approachable,.......But since you lean to the cheesy side...

You should cheese-up the power-ups more. And the cars too, maybe one could be a monster truck, another a hearse, the next a buggy, whatever. Or go even more unique, like as in monopoly, or zoo race. Perhaps you could even create your own Mario-esc charactors. All in all, it just needs to be more cartoony. Think more Bugs Bunny, less Rally-X.

Postby max is gr8 on Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:53 am

Is this out of the window now? :( I think it has great potential.
‹max is gr8› so you're a tee-total healthy-eating sex-addict?
‹New_rules› Everyone has some bad habits
(4th Jan 2010)
Corporal max is gr8

Postby Juan_Bottom on Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:19 am

Yeah... how about we get this map back on track!

Postby Ethitts on Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:36 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote:Yeah... how about we get this map back on track!

Haha, yea i've been meaning to do an update for quite a while now, been quite busy. I'll see if I get time over the next week.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby Ethitts on Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:53 am

Would anyone like to take this idea? I've kind of lost motivation on it and I don't think I have the graphical skills to create a good map. I think it'd be a fun map to play, but I just think it would need some great graphics to go with it.
ImageImage
Major Ethitts

Postby mibi on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:26 pm

well i have a project that's very similar to it... so i may as well 'take it over' by doing something else. though if anyone else wanted to pick up where Eth left off, thats fine.
Captain mibi

Re: Conquer Club Racing [abandoned]

Postby gimil on Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:11 am

moving to the heap.

[moved]
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Previous

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas