Conquer Club

The Mediterranean Basin [Recycling Bin]

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Mediterranean Basin [UPDATE]

Postby samuelc812 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:00 am

Version 3.0
ADDED: Army Circles
ADDED:Texture to Continents
ADDED:Background Changed
ELIMINATED:Small Countries such as Macedonia, Albania, Lebanon and Switzerland
ELIMINATED:Drop shadows
FIXED:It was suggested that there was too much bevel, so it has less bevel on the land and i added an inner glow to the land.
TODO: Add Army Circle to Cyprus and Balearic Islands

Click image to enlarge.
Last edited by samuelc812 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain samuelc812

Postby t-o-m on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:08 am

t-o-m wrote:I dont like this because:

• It's basically just Imperium Romanium layout and areas, although i understand that its different gameplay
  • There are loads of maps that have/include Europe as a main place
  • This is an EXTREME case of poor textures/bevels - they look like someone has just thrown them on
  • EVERYTHING in the map has a layer style, which is just not doing it for me/
Major t-o-m

Postby samuelc812 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:16 am

t-o-m wrote:

• It's basically just Imperium Romanium layout and areas, although i understand that its different gameplay
  • This is an EXTREME case of poor textures/bevels - they look like someone has just thrown them on

Why would you post this again :? Just because you said that twice doesn't mean i am going to stop working on it, other people like it. Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean i have to stop working on it. You don't have the final say you know...
Captain samuelc812

Postby Skittles! on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:26 am

I agree with Tom, but there is nothing wrong with another map.

Things I would like to happen
  • Change the tecture, it looks to busy
  • Add Malta as a territory, and it could be used as a link between places, e.g. Almar and Tunisia, and make it part of Libya or something.
  • Get rid of Ukraine
  • Change the "Middle East" to the "Near East"

That's it for now
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby samuelc812 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:42 am

Skittles! wrote:I agree with Tom, but there is nothing wrong with another map.

Things I would like to happen
*Change the tecture, it looks too busy

*It probably does look a little busy will look into that

Skittles! wrote:*Add Malta as a territory, and it could be used as a link between places, e.g. Almar and Tunisia, and make it part of Libya or something.

*Will add Malta good idea about the link

Skittles! wrote:*Get rid of Ukraine

*Yep Ukraine will go

Skittles! wrote:*Change the "Middle East" to the "Near East"

*I think there are a few maps that refer to this area as "The Near East" already...wouldn't it be nice to have a change and put something different like "The Middle East" ;)
Captain samuelc812

Postby samuelc812 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:34 am

t-o-m wrote:

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Sorry Tom but these maps don't look very similar to me :?
Captain samuelc812

Postby e_i_pi on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:57 am

• This map is significantly different to Imperium Romanum, just look at the layout of the territories for starters. Also, IR doesn't use regional continent bonuses
  • Europe is a popular place because it has a long documented history, and yields many different interpretations based on it's layout and proximity to outlying areas of significance, such as Middle East, Eurasia, and Africa. Look at a map of Europe from Roman times, one from the dark ages, one from the middle ages, one from the renaissance, one from modern times - all different.
  • Texturing can be fixed, just look at ANY maps original, and the final product - that's what the foundry process is for
  • Everything on my map has a layer style, everything on many maps have layer styles - it's called graphic design
  • ...and for crying out loud, before you criticise other peoples graphics, try fixing the goddam egregious spelling error in your sig. That same sig that your entire clan is using. I've already told you in your clan thread, and that has fallen on deaf ears. It looks amateurish in the extreme! Fix it Emmet!!
Captain e_i_pi

Postby Skittles! on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:45 am

samuelc812 wrote:

*I think there are a few maps that refer to this area as "The Near East" already...wouldn't it be nice to have a change and put something different like "The Middle East" ;)

Possibly, but I don't think that is the correct name for only that bit of area. But I'm not too sure.

Other things
  • Gallipoli is not in the right area. It's probably just me, but I'd rather you change it just because of the geographical area. Gallipoli is on the other side of the Hellespont.
  • Germany.. Should be Switzerland.
  • Maybe shrink Serbia and place Albania there too. This could replace Ukraine.

That's it. Take them or leave them, it doesn't really bother me except for the Gallipoli and Germany things. Is "Valley of the Fairy Chimneys" really what that area is called? :)

Forgot to state, colours are looking good except for maybe the yellow.. But I'm not a professional, so my opinion may not count for that area. May be good to see attack lines between the areas if you don't mind.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby Skittles! on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:46 am

e_i_pi wrote:[*]...and for crying out loud, before you criticise other peoples graphics, try fixing the goddam egregious spelling error in your sig. That same sig that your entire clan is using. I've already told you in your clan thread, and that has fallen on deaf ears. It looks amateurish in the extreme! Fix it Emmet!![/list]

I think that's actually just a friendly banter between their clan and the Legion. It's not accidental.
Private Skittles!

Postby e_i_pi on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:12 am

Skittles! wrote:
e_i_pi wrote:[*]...and for crying out loud, before you criticise other peoples graphics, try fixing the goddam egregious spelling error in your sig. That same sig that your entire clan is using. I've already told you in your clan thread, and that has fallen on deaf ears. It looks amateurish in the extreme! Fix it Emmet!![/list]

I think that's actually just a friendly banter between their clan and the Legion. It's not accidental.

Jackass isn't accidental, but they still come across as dickheads
Captain e_i_pi

Postby samuelc812 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:25 am

Skittles! wrote:
samuelc812 wrote:

Possibly, but I don't think that is the correct name for only that bit of area. But I'm not too sure.

*I will wait to see what others think...

Skittles! wrote:Other things
*Gallipoli is not in the right area. It's probably just me, but I'd rather you change it just because of the geographical area. Gallipoli is on the other side of the Hellespont.

*I will look into it but i was sure i got it right...

Skittles! wrote:*Germany.. Should be Switzerland.

*I actually eliminated Switzerland because it was too small to accomodate an army circle...i made it part of germany instead should it be the other way around should it? :Make Germany part of Switzerland?? Switzerland was included to begin with ;)

Skittles! wrote:*Maybe shrink Serbia and place Albania there too. This could replace Ukraine.

*Albania was there but i made it and Macedonia part of Serbia because..again they could not accomodate an Army Circle

Skittles! wrote:That's it. Take them or leave them, it doesn't really bother me except for the Gallipoli and Germany things. Is "Valley of the Fairy Chimneys" really what that area is called? :)

There is a Valley of the Fairy Chimneys in Turkey yes it was the main feature in that sought of area so i made it a territory ;)

Skittles! wrote:Forgot to state, colours are looking good except for maybe the yellow.. But I'm not a professional, so my opinion may not count for that area. May be good to see attack lines between the areas if you don't mind.

*Yes i was thinking of changing it any suggestions...?
Captain samuelc812

Postby t-o-m on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:52 pm

samuelc812 wrote:
t-o-m wrote:

Why would you post this again :? Just because you said that twice doesn't mean i am going to stop working on it, other people like it. Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean i have to stop working on it. You don't have the final say you know...

Im not saying stop working on it, god you're new, its called criticism. If it seems harsh, deal with it.
At the moment it looks like someone has just screwed a piece of paper up and then un-screwed it, and had a pathetic attempt at ironing it to make it smooth again.
Why does everyhting need a messed up texture?
e_pi wrote:#
# Everything on my map has a layer style, everything on many maps have layer styles - it's called graphic design

What map is yours again?
I didnt know you made maps :roll: :roll:

e_pi wrote:[*]...and for crying out loud, before you criticise other peoples graphics, try fixing the goddam egregious spelling error in your sig. That same sig that your entire clan is using. I've already told you in your clan thread, and that has fallen on deaf ears. It looks amateurish in the extreme! Fix it Emmet!![/list]

Perhaps if you take your head out of your own ass for a few minutes you'll realise that as Skittles said, it is just a laugh with the legion.
Im glad you can see my sig graphics drew your eyes to it, and you feel the need to make a complete off-topic comment in an absolute failure to make me feel like i should change it. You say that i shouldnt criticize, this is the map foundry for god sake.
What do you expect?
Cookies?
Major t-o-m

Postby samuelc812 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:57 pm

t-o-m wrote:
# Everything on my map has a layer style, everything on many maps have layer styles - it's called graphic design

What map is yours again?

*He is making the map of the antarctic, where have you been!!!

*And i realise it was critiscism and it was fine the first time you posted it but to post it twice after i had already read your comment was unecessary, we already knew your opinion ;)
Captain samuelc812

Postby Androidz on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:00 pm

Since you added the name of the belactrice islands (or something) on the map it should have a army circle. As i would make a good crossing point towards africa.

You can also have added switserland as a impassible on the map but then you would have a size problem maybe.
Private Androidz

Postby The Neon Peon on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:03 pm

Could you make some sea routes to the island in the Mediterranian, or at least some routes across? because it is a little too circular right now. Plus, this would make the focus of the game more on the Mediterranian, rather than the lands around it.
Lieutenant The Neon Peon

Postby Kaplowitz on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:12 pm

I really like the way the map looks, and its a great start. :)
I do agree though there is too much going on.

Here are some examples of really nice looking maps that are still simple at the same time:
Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

Click image to enlarge.

You have too many layer styles and textures, but that isnt too hard to fix ;)
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby whitestazn88 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:57 pm

wow... looks good right now
Lieutenant whitestazn88

Postby t-o-m on Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:12 am

samuelc812 wrote:
t-o-m wrote:

What map is yours again?

*He is making the map of the antarctic, where have you been!!!

That's a map?
It looks like a dog did a shit on some paper and someone smushed it around.

*And i realise it was critiscism and it was fine the first time you posted it but to post it twice after i had already read your comment was unecessary, we already knew your opinion ;)

The map can change, and for the better, i gave reasons that you could work on to make it more appealing, and since there was a new page, i thought you may have missed the comment.
But now i see that you just ignored it and didnt address it or even comment saying "no gfy"
Major t-o-m

Postby samuelc812 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:52 pm

Sorry if you feel ignored but i take all suggestions into account even if i don't reply, just cause i havn't changed anything in the map that you want me to change doesn't mean i won't ;)
Captain samuelc812

Postby MrBenn on Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:58 pm

Wow - nice drafts... I'll move this thread into the right place... [moved]
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Juan_Bottom on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:24 pm

Firstly, I like the map. We've got too many crazy-complicated maps being made and queched right now. It's nice to see one with classic gameplay, done nicely.
However, I'm not big on all the texture either. Too much IMO.

Attack lines would be helpful too... Istanbul can't be the only link between the continents can it?

Also, If you are going to ditch the yellow, try mixing and matching first. Maybe it would go better next to a blue? Or try useing red. I'd like to see this stick with Crayola's "traditional twelve assortment."

I guess I really don't have many critisisms...

Oh, and for the record, this map is nothing like Imperium Romanium. ;)
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Postby MrBenn on Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:14 am

As I said previously, you have a nice draft image here ;-) Given the quality of it, some of the following comments might sound a little nit-picky, but it looks like you should be able to cope ;-)

1. I think that the texture all over the map is a bit too much, and isn't particularly easy on the eye. I'd suggest trying to tone them down a bit.
2. There is inconsistency in the thickness of your borders... just compare the Morocco/Bechar border to the Israel/Jordan one
3. Some of your borders don't meet, or appear a bit 'clumpy' at the joins.
4. The border around the non-playable bit of Russia looks quite blurry
5. I like the colours you have used, although I'm not too sure how they balance for colourblind players... It might be worth sticking some army numbers on the map to see if there is much of a colour-clash? Clicky link to army number image

6. As far as gameplay goes, I am not sure whether you intend the Med to be generally impassable (like the Glacier on the Iceland map), or if there will be some crossing points across the sea? I think either option will be fine, but I would suggest that you think about this next, along with how/where you are going to join the islands to the mainland
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby samuelc812 on Sat Sep 27, 2008 8:31 am

Here is the next Version 4.0
Click image to enlarge.

MrBenn wrote:As I said previously, you have a nice draft image here ;-) Given the quality of it, some of the following comments might sound a little nit-picky, but it looks like you should be able to cope ;-)

1. I think that the texture all over the map is a bit too much, and isn't particularly easy on the eye. I'd suggest trying to tone them down a bit.
2. There is inconsistency in the thickness of your borders... just compare the Morocco/Bechar border to the Israel/Jordan one
3. Some of your borders don't meet, or appear a bit 'clumpy' at the joins.
4. The border around the non-playable bit of Russia looks quite blurry
5. I like the colours you have used, although I'm not too sure how they balance for colourblind players... It might be worth sticking some army numbers on the map to see if there is much of a colour-clash? Clicky link to army number image

6. As far as gameplay goes, I am not sure whether you intend the Med to be generally impassable (like the Glacier on the Iceland map), or if there will be some crossing points across the sea? I think either option will be fine, but I would suggest that you think about this next, along with how/where you are going to join the islands to the mainland

I tried to fix all the things you mentioned...if i missed something let me know ;)

I am having some trouble putting army numbers in if anyone can point me in the right direction, i have the image so i don't need links to the page just how to put that image into the little circles ??

Thanx, for your feedback ;)
Captain samuelc812

Re: The Mediterranean Basin [Version 4]

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:18 am

I still think you should get rid of the textures
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Re: The Mediterranean Basin [Version 4]

Postby Androidz on Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:18 am

Kaplowitz wrote:I still think you should get rid of the textures

Why this texture brings something new and i like it.
Private Androidz

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas