Conquer Club

Periodic Table of the Elements Map, UPDATE p17

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

How do you like the map? (see latest update)

Total votes : 0

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat May 19, 2007 2:53 pm

deadly.sporks wrote:1. It's really hard to see what everything is. I can tell continents by color but that is still shaky.
I need to change some colors just a bit to fix that.
deadly.sporks wrote:2. What the heck are the countries? Holy cow it's pretty much impossible to tell. Maybe different shades of blue for all the countries of one continent and reds for another I don't know, but it's hard to see.
Each square is one country. there are 120 countries total.
deadly.sporks wrote:3. There is a ton of text on a little area. I'm not sure how you want to fix that.

I dont know... it looks alright how it is now. There Isn't any room to expand the box, so I don't know what we could do about that.
deadly.sporks wrote:4. The background makes it really hard to tell the rest of it apart.
which part is hard to see?
deadly.sporks wrote:You guys are working hard, but this is just what I see. Also, I like the idea of Chemical equations as bonuses. Here are some more and some that have been listed.

This idea seems pretty popular. i may include this, depending on if we can figure out where to put the bonuses for Chemical formulas.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby deadly.sporks on Sat May 19, 2007 3:37 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:
deadly.sporks wrote:1. It's really hard to see what everything is. I can tell continents by color but that is still shaky.
I need to change some colors just a bit to fix that.

Okay, sounds good. Especially within the greens.

wcaclimbing wrote:
deadly.sporks wrote:2. What the heck are the countries? Holy cow it's pretty much impossible to tell. Maybe different shades of blue for all the countries of one continent and reds for another I don't know, but it's hard to see.
Each square is one country. there are 120 countries total.

That makes it easier knowing that, I'd put that on there then. If that is the case though, what are the different colored lines for? Oh, nm I see it now.

wcaclimbing wrote:
deadly.sporks wrote:3. There is a ton of text on a little area. I'm not sure how you want to fix that.

I dont know... it looks alright how it is now. There Isn't any room to expand the box, so I don't know what we could do about that.

This is true. It just looks crowded because the background is distracting.

wcaclimbing wrote:
deadly.sporks wrote:4. The background makes it really hard to tell the rest of it apart.

Not so much hard to see, just distracting. I also might find something more conducive, like a gas lab or something.

wcaclimbing wrote:
deadly.sporks wrote:You guys are working hard, but this is just what I see. Also, I like the idea of Chemical equations as bonuses. Here are some more and some that have been listed.

This idea seems pretty popular. i may include this, depending on if we can figure out where to put the bonuses for Chemical formulas.

Okay, that sounds good. I think it would make the game more fun. You could even not list them and have them be sort of a surprise.
Private 1st Class deadly.sporks

Postby sfhbballnut on Sat May 19, 2007 9:54 pm

I like unlisted bonuses, that'd be a blast, but then you wouldn't know we put them in there until the map was played. Maybe we'll list a few and leave someothers out there for people to discover
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby wcaclimbing on Sat May 19, 2007 10:05 pm

deadly.sporks wrote:
wcaclimbing wrote:

Not so much hard to see, just distracting. I also might find something more conducive, like a gas lab or something.

I've tried many different backgrounds, and I found that you cant use a picture of a location, because all you would be able to see is the floor and the ceiling. The map cuts off all of the important parts of the picture.

I found that you need a picture that doesnt really have a center of attention on it. like solid colors, or something fairly consistent. i chose fire because it is a chemical thing (kinda) and its dark to contrast the map.

Postby ParadiceCity9 on Sun May 20, 2007 10:08 am

DiM wrote:i'm rather curious. from the poll it seems the map has a lot of fans. i'm not one of them for the following 2 reasons:

1. gameplay sucks
2. graphic is bad

Ya i'm gonna have to go with dim on this one...
Corporal 1st Class ParadiceCity9

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun May 20, 2007 10:50 am

ParadiceCity9 wrote:
DiM wrote:i'm rather curious. from the poll it seems the map has a lot of fans. i'm not one of them for the following 2 reasons:

1. gameplay sucks
2. graphic is bad

WHY are you going with DiM?

why does gameplay suck and why are the graphics bad?

Postby gimil on Sun May 20, 2007 11:45 am

the whitle lines make it HORRIBLE on the eyes. it has to be a more nutral color
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby sfhbballnut on Sun May 20, 2007 1:51 pm

thanks, why can't people say stuff like this rather than, "graphics suck"?
Last edited by sfhbballnut on Sun May 20, 2007 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby Coleman on Sun May 20, 2007 3:48 pm

Map Bonus Worth Calculator Results
Worth = ( ( ( Territories * 1.5 ) + ( Border Territories * 4 ) + ( Neighbor Territories * 0.5 ) + ( Neighbor Regions ) ) / 6 ) - 1

Code: Select all
                        Worth    Actual  Recomendation
Alkaline Metals         4.9167   5       
Alkaline Earth Metals   6        5       (Don't Change)
Poor Metals             7.0833   6       (Don't Change)
Nonmetals               5.3333   6
Halogens                4.1667   3       (Don't Change)
Noble Gasses            2.4167   3
Transition Metal 1      3.5833   1       (See Below)
Transition Metal 2      3.6667   1
Transition Metal 3      3.8333   1
Transition Metal 4      3.5      1
Transition Metal 5      3.5833   1
Transition Metal 6      3.5      1
Transition Metal 7      3.75     1
Transition Metal 8      3.8333   1
Transition Metal 9      3.4167   1
Transition Metal 10     3.5      1
Red Lanth/Actin         5.5      3       (Make 6)
L.Blue Lanth/Actin      4.0833   3       (Make 4)
L.Purple Lanth/Actin    2.8333   3
All Trans Metals        17.1667  10      (See Below)

Below: I think each Trans Metal should be worth 2. Holding the entire block is definately worth more then 10, and each one by itself is worth a lot more then 1, however 4 would be overkill.

The reason I said don't change for the ones I did is that if you own that continent and any one that borders it increasing the bonus would make that group overpowered.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby DiM on Sun May 20, 2007 4:22 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:
ParadiceCity9 wrote:

1. gameplay sucks
2. graphic is bad

WHY are you going with DiM?

why does gameplay suck and why are the graphics bad?

ok. i usually post extensive feedbacks if i think the map has a future but unfortunatelly this one seems hopeless.
anyway i think i do owe an explanation so here's the long feedback post:

Gameplay:
1. first of all there's the teritoy number problem. 120 is a lot especially in a map that has this geometricaly organized form. this one is a personal opinion some might like the huge number.
2. impassable borders. i really think they were put there randomly cause they make no sense. i see no logical order adn in some cases they disturb the flow. like having a green column cut in 2 by an impassible border. and having to go through oter columns to take it.
3. bonuses. let's take the yellow/green columns for example. each column is worth 1. some colums are easier to take and hold than the others and it's not fair to make them worth the same. also having +1 for a 4 terit continent with 4 borders it's really low. i'll never go for that. in comparison the earth metals are worth 5 and they surely aren't 5 times harder to hold.
4. the map is too open. basically any continent is hard to hold except noble gases and light purple continent.

Graphics.

there's so much to do here i'll just point a few major things and then if the map does improve i'll tell you the smaller things.

1. Colours. very very poor colour choices. my eyes are bleeding when i look at the map. both teritory colours and also the background.
2. Background. yup. it sucks big time. the purpose of a background is to make the whole map look good to compliment the teritories ad be something subtle. your flames are anything but subtle. they hurt the eyes and distract attention. choose something relaxing.
3. the map is very crude. no textures no effects no nothing and to be frank it looks like it is made in paint.
4. feeling. there's no chemistry feeling here. nothing to represent the idea of chemicals in a lab.

as i said i'll post finer details after i se some improvement.

and here's what i would do to save this map.

make the periodic table of elements on a desk and with some diffrent stuff from a lab on that desk. like tubes and powders and flasks with boiling liquids. so we have the setting. now for the main thing. the table. make it seem like it is drawn on a piece of paper and ad various stuff on it. like some chemical spills or burns. they will help both visually and to the gameplay by acting as impassable borders. also you can add various objects on that paper like a crayon or an eprubet that can also act as impassable borders.
by doing this you'll have less teritories (because some of them will be under the objects or under the spills) you'll have a better overall feeling and for sure a better gameplay.

hope this helps.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby wcaclimbing on Sun May 20, 2007 4:45 pm

Thank you DiM

That will help a lot. :D
-----------------------------------------------------
Response to DiM:
Gameplay:
1. I want a lot of territories. one for each element. If you dont like geometric maps, go play w2.1

2. I tried a strategy for laying them out, more on the right, less on the left. I agree, there are one or two to remove, but for the most part they will add to the strategic aspect of the map.

3. I am going to increase the bonus for each transition column to 2 instead of 1.

4. I want to force a land war/war of attrition for each area. it will be a challenge to hold, but they are worth a lot to keep.

Graphics
1. What should i change the colors to?

2. I can try putting it on a piece of paper, on top of a table. that might work...

3. If the paper-on -table background works, I will add more textures.

4. Again, with the table. Stuff on the table is a given.

Stuff to improve:

Desk:
I like it.

Paper:
Good idea.

Chemical spills:
Not too sure about that one. May try it.

Crayon/eprubet:
may work. whats an eprubet?

------------------------------------------------
Response to Coleman:

I will make transition metals 2 each.

Not sure about giving each lanth/act a different bonus. What about bumping each one to 4?

Nonmetals will drop to 5, poor metals to 7,

----------------------------------------------------------

response to Gimil:

Do you want it to be grey?
I think that would be too hard to see with the different colors around it.
and the connecting lines are grey, so grey probably wont work.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Postby twinfists on Sun May 20, 2007 5:45 pm

are you really suggesting that aluminium is a non-metal???
Corporal 1st Class twinfists

Postby DiM on Sun May 20, 2007 5:55 pm

here's a quick pic of what i had in mind.

creating it took like 15-20 minutes and it really gives you a nice feeling. of course there are plenty of things to do but at least it is a starting point.

“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby sfhbballnut on Sun May 20, 2007 6:41 pm

not a bad look, we may try to adapt to something like that, we'll have a few issues staying undersize restrictions though
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby DiM on Sun May 20, 2007 6:47 pm

sfhbballnut wrote:not a bad look, we may try to adapt to something like that, we'll have a few issues staying undersize restrictions though

size is not such a big issue. if the map requires a big image then it is accepted.

and 120 terit map does need a big image.
Major DiM

Previous

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas