Conquer Club

Periodic Table of the Elements Map, UPDATE p17

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

How do you like the map? (see latest update)

Total votes : 0

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:51 am

i like the radioactive bonus idea.
how do YOU think we should arrange the continents? there are many different ways we are thinking about organizing it, but we havent decided on one.
Private 1st Class wcaclimbing

Postby P Gizzle on Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:55 am

personally, in my opinion that no one cares about, i think it should go by the classifications of the elements. let's see what others have to say
Gridiron Gang- CC's largest Clan!
Cook P Gizzle

Postby lamont on Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:01 am

hmmmm interesting.
i guess, you could do it by periods, like the table it is itself, halogens as one continent, noble gasses as another etc, that would make it fairly even,
more adventerous however would be to base it on states of matter, ie group all the elements that are gasses at room temperature in one continent, all the solids as another, all the liquids as another. this would give you two averagly sized continents and one massive one for people to duke it out over.
eat me
Cadet lamont

Postby edmundomcpot on Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:16 am

Find all the radioactive elements and you could make that a continent
Would you choose supremecy if it lead to isolation?

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Cook edmundomcpot

Postby bender on Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:22 am

Yeah - there are only 2 liquid elements so maybe solids, fluids and radioactives would make three nice sized continents

i like this chat, good work chaps, you're more reasonable than some of the mentalists on here
New Recruit bender

Postby onbekende on Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:31 pm

radio-active isn't something good, as ALL elements have radio-active isotopes, so that won't work

the normal tabel holds all elements in there most stable isotope
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:55 pm

lamont wrote:i guess, you could do it by periods, like the table it is itself, halogens as one continent, noble gasses as another etc, that would make it fairly even

we will group at least part of it by the periods. each one we would do would be a period that has an actuall name (which are alkali metals, alkali earth metals, halides, and noble gasses)

we havent really decided how we are going to split up the huge block of transition metals ( 40 countries). we might break the transition metals up by their columns with a one army bonus for holding a column.

bender wrote: Yeah - there are only 2 liquid elements so maybe solids, fluids and radioactives would make three nice sized continents
splitting the board up into 3 continents would be WAY too big. there will probably be a 1 army bonus for holding both mercury and bromine (the two liquids).

i am going to add colors in a day or two

Postby lamont on Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:06 pm

ooooh
i didnt realsie there was a work in progress map.
how do i have a look?

i agree with all the recent sentiments

maybe split up the transition metals by order of atomic shells? each continent could be built up of metals that have the same number of atomic shells, effectivly building them into size based groups, thusly putting the most radioactive elements together as well.
eat me
Cadet lamont

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:29 pm

wcaclimbing wrote:1. playability (continents, borders, etc)
the map we use to plan playability is going to be bad, because we don't need to have it look much like the final map, since it is just for planning. when you are looking at one of our playability maps, ignore how crappy it looks and just take it from a gameplay point of view (strategy, continent design).

2. Final map: the final map will look good. it will be the one that is finally submitted as a map. the playability map is just going to be a guide so we can plan out how the final map will look.

from now on, sfh and I will write either PLAYABILITY or FINAL at the top of our images. if it says PLAYABILITY, you can comment on the layout of the continents and boundries, not the look of it. If it says FINAL, it will be the map that i am working on making look good so we can submit it. for the final map, you can comment on how it looks and how to make it look better (not how it plays).

^this is how its going to be when we start to post images.

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:43 pm

FINAL
this is the most recent map that i have. it is still black and white and the borders have not been drawn in, but it has the basic links between the countries (Hydrogen to Helium and various links from the main table to the lanthoid/actinide section.

the space under the link between hydrogen and helium will be where it has the key (continents+bonuses).

we are adding riskium and CCium to the map to make it an even 120 countries. we need ideas for where to place them, though.

Postby onbekende on Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:21 pm

as normal I think, beneath Fr and Ra
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Captain onbekende

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:20 pm

onbekende wrote:as normal I think, beneath Fr and Ra

that seems like a good spot. unless anyone objects, thats where the two new elements will go.

Postby wcaclimbing on Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:43 pm

FINAL

its finally in! the first color version of the map!

the borders are not drawn in yet.

The two new elements are placed below the alkali metals and are part of the alkali metal continent (dark orange).

there will be a one army bonus for each column of the transition metals (different kinds of green/yellow) held .

there will also be a one army bonus for holding both liquid elements (mercury and bromine, outlined in dark red)

when the borders are drawn in, the noble gasses will be blocked off except for one opening and the link with hydrogen (due to their lack of reactivity)
the boundary arrangement will change across the map. there will be few/no boundaries on the left side of the map because those elements are most reactive. there will be a lot of boundaries on the right side of the table because those elements tend to be unreactive.

as always, suggestions are greatly appreciated. i will be adding in the borders in a day or two and they should be done by the end of the weekend.

EDIT: i am going to try and work out the fuzziness of the black lines in the darker areas. dont tell me i need to fix that.

Postby cowshrptrn on Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:37 am

You mgiht want to look up the symbols of all those man-made elements that aren't given names on your current table
Private cowshrptrn

Postby MTA-M on Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:00 am

wcaclimbing wrote:
The two new elements are placed below the alkali metals and are part of the alkali metal continent (dark orange).

It would be more logical to place them next to each other. 1 under Fr and the other under Ra, and then just put them in these 2 column-continents.
Corporal 1st Class MTA-M

Postby wcaclimbing on Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:49 am

wcaclimbing wrote:i think we should just use the element numbers as the names for all the unun... countries

this is how it will be. having all the symbols being Uun, Uud, Uuq, etc would be too confusing.

Postby happysadfun on Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:46 am

They have real names now. One of them is dubrovnostadium, i remember laughing at it. But I'll have to find where i found that...
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby P Gizzle on Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:48 am

it looks good. please don't make it as hard to play as crossword.
Cook P Gizzle

Postby wcaclimbing on Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:31 am

MTA-M wrote:
wcaclimbing wrote:

It would be more logical to place them next to each other. 1 under Fr and the other under Ra, and then just put them in these 2 column-continents.

ok that will be fixed on my next update

happysadfun wrote:They have real names now. One of them is dubrovnostadium, i remember laughing at it. But I'll have to find where i found that...

i will look up the new names, and the ones that dont have names will use their atomic numbers.

P Gizzle wrote:it looks good. please don't make it as hard to play as crossword.

there is no way this will be as hard as crossword! i will try to make this map as selfexplanitory and easy as possible. i think this will actually be easier to play than many other maps, due to how easy it will be to see who attacks who.

Postby sfhbballnut on Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:54 pm

WCA, I like the layout, but that looks aweful, the color sceme is weird, and CCium and Riskium are messed up, those need to be normal sized, and borders? let me know what you are thinking
Corporal sfhbballnut

Postby P Gizzle on Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:57 pm

ok, good. ive seen good maps ruined by a confusing set up, but this looks great. keep up the good work
Cook P Gizzle

Postby happysadfun on Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:21 pm

I'll put in the circles..... does it need circles?
ImageChildren, this is what happens to hockey players, druggies, and Hillary Clinton.

Rope. Tree. Hillary. Some assembly required.
Cadet happysadfun

Location: Haundin at DotSco, Being Sad that Mark Green Lost in Suburban Wisconsin

Postby DING on Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:41 pm

sfhbballnut wrote:WCA, I like the layout, but that looks aweful, the color sceme is weird, and CCium and Riskium are messed up, those need to be normal sized

I second that.

It's hard on the eyes.
Major DING

Postby Marvaddin on Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:52 pm

Why are La (57) and Ac (89) still ou of their normal places?
Each B column will give a bonus +1? Biggest no man land I ever saw, but its a good idea. Maybe we should add some unpassable borders.
Why are 113-118 a continent? And you need put their symbols!!
Liquid elements is an insignificant idea. I dislike it.
CCium and Riskium are just terrible that way.
How about some smaller continents and good bonuses to all non-metals, etc, as supercontinents bonuses?

Anyway, looks like we will have here reeeeeeally long games, I dont know if its a good idea. Maybe we could think about 2 elements each territory? Just as an alternative?
Major Marvaddin

Postby cowshrptrn on Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:19 pm

happysadfun wrote:I'll put in the circles..... does it need circles?

I tihnk you could leave out the circles, and jsut put the numbers directly onto the continents, unless there's a color conflict, which i think is only a problem in blue and red, but if you change the shades it'll be fine
Private cowshrptrn

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas