Conquer Club

Football Match Map

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Football Match Map

Postby Teflon Kris on Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:24 pm

This is perhaps crazy gameplay - have a think through, and see if you like it and think it will work and result in football-like tactics. The gameplay is designed to mirror real football as closely as possible (and be workable). Please dont worry about graphics - this is a diagram for demonstration purposes for now.

Basically, it isn't possible to attack and conquer opposition players - although they can be bombarded ('tackled'). This is a bit like the Arms Race scenario when players are each in only one country - the top of the missile being similar to the goal objective). Attacks are possible within the stands, advancing to the neutral pitch positions by some of the players, bosses attacking the referee and, most importantly, scoring to win (taking the Goal from the red scoring positions).

The non-starting positions on the pitch (e.g. the crossing positions) have decay (and the referee if conquered).

Coded starts - 11 players each team, 1 boss each team and half of the fans - designed to be as much akin to the real game as possible - and its strategies.

Otherwise it is possible to bombard and weaken the opposition. Players can take back bombarded players and reinforce between them.

The object of the game is to score (take the GOAL neutral) - it is not possible to kill your opponent (the 'keeper for example - cant be 'tackled' (bombarded)).

Hopefully players will try and gain bonuses from the stands, referee and 'possession' to be able to mount an attack on a scoring position, then the goal. Defensively it is possible to bombard attacking players and positions- there are hopefully enough bonuses and attacking avenues to ensure that games don't build-up too long though. Crossing positions provide a good option for players to weaken defenders and prepare for a shot at goal. Decay and big neutrals on the goal should ensure games aren't concluded too quickly (neutral on GOALs to be changed to 10).

Football is a game for 2 teams. However, if players want (for some obscure reason) to play a 5-player multiplayer standard game (for example) then the passing rule allows any of the footballers in a team to attack the other footballers in their team - e.g. the sky blue footballers (+keeper) can attack the other sky-blue footballers). This would enable all players to have quick access to the attacking players and thus the scoring positions (although it would take several rounds for enough troops to be able to score).

Please comment on gameplay for now - I'm hoping PepeAtila will take this map up and make it look decent. Sorry for the graphics - just a diagram to show the idea (oak - please close your eyes :lol: ).

Click image to enlarge.

show: First Diagram

show: Second Diagram
Last edited by Teflon Kris on Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:11 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Re: Football Match Map

Postby Tupence on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:06 pm

First of all, sounds like a good idea to me. Second, I'm guessing our American friends may prefer an American Football match over this? I'm fighting for this one though... (which I sense would probably end up being called Soccer?)

The gameplay all seems a little complicated at the moment, I'll give it a shot though.

I like the objective, but I can see it taking a pretty long time in some circumstances to ever get there.
The only problem I see with the objective is that players may end up deploying most of their armies straight onto their goalkeeper, making build games pretty likely.

To what extent do you want to keep the bonuses how they are? For example you may want to make the North and South Stands have more territories than the West and East to reflect the shape of the stadium and maybe have a bonus of +2 for those?

Also if this map could vary hugely (I think a lot more so than most other maps) with choice of spoils - Escalating and it could be over pretty quickly; No Spoils could take forever.

In the information on the map you say the Ref decays by 2 each move - is that at the beginning of every turn? Forgive me if you have explained but where does the Ref attack/bombard?

Okay I've given quite a bit of criticism but I think the map has a lot of potential - it's completely unique and I'm looking forward to see how it develops.

Would you also be able to upload a slightly bigger image of what you've done? It just might make it a bit easier to see the individual players and understand the gameplay a bit better.

P.S. I don't have any expertise in the cartography world but I'd like to get more involved in it so I thought this is a good place to start. Hope all my comments make sense :?
Important Tournament Notice

The data for ALL of my tournaments has potentially been lost. I am working to recover it but as I am away on business all of this week, there will be some delay. Sincere apologies.
Private Tupence

Postby Teflon Kris on Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:14 pm

Soccer :sick: We'll see about that one mate. I'd like to see an American Rugby map! If our friends insist then it can be re-named ... as ... 'The World's Game' :lol: Or 'Futbol'

Thanks for your support

I'll whack up a bigger and clearer image in the next few days.

I agree that the common strat would be to deploy on the keeper and spoils would be needed to avoid serious build-up games. Although, bear in mind that it wouldn't be possible to reinforce the 'keeper.

An alternative idea might be for the 'keeper to act as another defender and the objective to score in the goal (i.e. a neutral in the net). Players wouldn't be able to deploy on the neutral goal objective terits and would therefore bombard opponent strikers to deplete them.

I like your ideas for the stands too - more bonuses there would help prevent stagnation. I'm conscious to have 16 terits in the stands - 2 each when there are 8-player games (to meet the criteria of working for all numbers of players etc.).

The ref wouldn't attack or bombard - he just provides a bonus - an extra feature really - to provide a further early-game option (prepare attack on goal / get the supporters enthused / pressure the ref).

Maybe the 'no territory bonus' should be ditched the reduce the possibility of build-up as well - then players would have more incentive to bombard opponents.

Another thing that needs thinking through is which players can bombard which - I'm thinking the defensive players can bonbard too many opponent positions perhaps? Its important for there to be a few attacking options - currently the defensive midfielder can stop everything - they aren't all Mascherano after all! Maybe the centre-backs should have one striker each they can bombard and the defensive midfielder not being able to bombard the wide players (LM & RM)?

Another question is whether the scoring and crossing positions should be killer neutrals? If they had decay instead then this would help prevent build-up although it would affect realism. It would also negate the value of the crossing positions. Hmmm - maybe small killer neutrals for the strikers positions and decay, or ordinary neutral, for the crossing positions?
Last edited by Teflon Kris on Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby PepeAtila on Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:45 pm

The idea looks beautiful. But I guess we have to change some things.
More because the CC rules, or we should develop it so good to make a "special" map.

I was making 2 teams on the field, with different tactics 4-3-3 and 4-4-2, with diferent "movements" allowed forward while you go through the players from one team and the you had to change(conquer) from the other team to return. I was thinking about the 2 coachs and the reserves as other "players", but also now watching your idea, I think we can use the full stadium, even the fans from one or the other team ... I know it is not "futbol" exactly, but by now CC ask us to think about 8 players. I need to see your idea more in deep, but it is a good begin. =D>
I was developing the grass, and one option was to divide the field in zones. Also I have more graphics and ideas that we can share by email
It is not the last I made, but this I can (more or less) show in public ;)
PepeAtila
Captain PepeAtila

Postby Shatners Bassoon on Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:50 pm

I like this idea alot :D
31-29
Major Shatners Bassoon

Postby Teflon Kris on Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:59 pm

OK

New version posted, hopefully a bit clearer to see what the idea is:

Updates:
    More bonuses possible in the crowd to reduce possibility of build-up games.
    Objective is to take the GOAL territory rather than the 'keeper - prevents stagnation where teams deploy on the keeper to defend.
    Restricted the bombarding options of some of the defensive players, again to reduce possibility of build-up games.
    Made explicit the possibility of re-taking bombarded team-mates.

The multiple standard player game scenario
Well, in my opinion, anyone playing this option isn't really into team sports but I guess we have to cater for them.

Anyhow, let's consider it: there are 36 starting territories - in any form of the game each player will get some of the actual football players. Each football player can attack others on his own side - i.e. the attacking players - and therefore get into a scoring position. There are 6 attacking positions - it is unlikely any one player will monopolise them. It would be an advantage for players who start on one of the six attacking players at the drop (CM, ST1 & ST2) - they are 2 successful attacks moves from winning - but other players are only 3 successful attacks moves from winning and would soon attack them before they could ammass enough troops to move into a scoring position and attack the goal.

Maybe the GOALs need higher starting values to make sure (e.g. 8 or 10)?

show: Other Options if that need be
Last edited by Teflon Kris on Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:28 am, edited 9 times in total.

Postby petrie000 on Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:11 pm

as one of those Americans who generally doesn't watch the more Global version of the sport... i say this is a good idea! if the gameplay details can be worked out, you open the door to a variety of other Sports-themed maps.
Corporal 1st Class petrie000

Postby K-dub on Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:48 pm

it sounds ok
Last edited by K-dub on Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class K-dub

Postby Tupence on Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:22 pm

DJ Teflon wrote:Updates:
    More bonuses possible in the crowd to reduce possibility of build-up games.
    Objective is to take the GOAL territory rather than the 'keeper - prevents stagnation where teams deploy on the keeper to defend.
    Restricted the bombarding options of some of the defensive players, again to reduce possibility of build-up games.
    Made explicit the possibility of re-taking bombarded team-mates.

These all sound great to me, I don't think the build-up games will be any more of an issue here than on some other maps now.

DJ Teflon wrote:Maybe the GOALs need higher starting values to make sure (e.g. 8 or 10)?

Yeah I think so - 10 sounds like a good number to me. I wouldn't suggest any lower than that as it is the final objective.

DJ Teflon wrote:
show: Other Options if that need be

I like the idea of the referee being able to send players off - am I right in thinking the ref resets to neutral? I think it should reset to something quite high like 6, as it is potentially the most powerful territory on the map.

With the fans invading the pitch, would they be able to attack anyone? Maybe have only one territory in each section of the stand that can attack the pitch, it could be like they represent the team's supporters taking their aggression out on the pitch?

K-dub wrote:well, a sportsfield doesnt sound like a bad idea. you really got my hopes up when you titled it football map. turns out it was just gay soccer. well good luck with it. i hope it goes through for your sake, but i wont play on it.

What a useful comment...
Important Tournament Notice

The data for ALL of my tournaments has potentially been lost. I am working to recover it but as I am away on business all of this week, there will be some delay. Sincere apologies.
Private Tupence

Postby Teflon Kris on Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:39 pm

I can see his logic though. We dont wear helmets, we dont have feet on the ends of our arms and we think balls are round. By logical deduction we must play a homosexual sport. Glad my lass has no logic or she'd work it out too.

Anyway, I'm kind of thinking the crowd and the ref attacking on the pitch are last resort extras. If the map can be as much like the real game as possible then it would be cool.

Hopefully I can convince Repe, or maybe the map could be a hybrid of the two ideas?

Somehow the goal objective has to come into it?

Any more thoughts welcome, particularly gameplay analysis or ideas

Postby Teflon Kris on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:01 pm

Update:

Introduced more areas of the pitch and a bonus for possession football (holding 8 territories in the opposition half - e.g. the 2 STrikers, 4 easy neutrals and 2 crossing positions).

Simplified the tackling rule. Footballers can bombard adjacent footballers and adjacent attacking positions (if they are a defender).

Increased number of territories in the stands so that there are 40 starting positions (therefore 5 starts each in an 8-player game) - although I dont think this is totally necessary - 4 starting positions would be acceptable (or even 3 as in many maps). Going back to the previous no. of territories in the stands would still give 4 terits per player in 8p games. In both cases, there is a >98% chance each player will start with a footballer on the pitch.

To Do
    Consider whether players can take any of the neutrals in their own half. Clarify explanation around this. Adjust 'possession' bonus requirements accordingly. It would mean a complicated explanation as this should not include crossing and scoring positions (as players will just fort them to defend and we will have big build-up games). It would be useful if defenders can take and strengthen the neutral between the crossing and scoring positions however.

Consider whether players can only attack forwards into the neutral pitch positions.

Prepare options to enable players to access the pitch from the stands bosses only if deemed absolutely necessary (e.g.1 pitch invasion via 'Stewards' - large killer neutrals that reset due to Police supporting Stewards if an invasion occurs. e.g.2 Referee can book / send-off players - not a good option as it would enable the game to be finished by eliminating opponents rather than scoring).

The Big Question - there are now 69 territories - will this be graphically possible without the pitch looking too crowded? They can all have 2/3 letter names. Judging by other maps it should be ok - although room is also needed for the explanations.

Postby Teflon Kris on Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:01 am

New Gameplay Idea - Development of the 'fatigue' factor - as well as decay on the non-player pitch territories, players could start with high values and also have decay.

This would be realistic to football - as players gradually get more tired as the game goes on.

It would also help with potential build-up - eventually everyone's armies would get smaller and smaller.

It would require the goal objective territories to be bigger though (and, for single-player multi-player games, perhaps the fans would also have to start with big armies in case some players drop more on the pitch?).

Starting positions - with the current xml - the eleven players+boss on each team would need to be coded starts - 3 for each colour. This would work for 4 v 4 but mean in 3 v 3 & 2 v 2 one team will probably drop a position or two within the football team of the other team (if you can follow that).

football map [version 6]

Postby 40kguy on Sun May 01, 2011 11:57 am

we have a cricket map a baseball map, soon to be hockey map, why not have a soccer map?
Click image to enlarge.

show: show past versions

there are 24 regions, you have to eliminate the other team to win.

I developed the game type off how i see the game being played when i play soccer.
Last edited by 40kguy on Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:37 am, edited 8 times in total.
16:00:18 ‹Pixar› Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Cook 40kguy

Re: Soccer map

Postby Sniper08 on Sun May 01, 2011 12:18 pm

ok first off the name is gonna have to change no fan of FOOTBALL is gonna accept that name.choose a name like "the beautiful game" or to use its formal name association football.

second why not add managers ,subs , referee ,linesman 4th offical and possibly a stadium crowd?
Colonel Sniper08
SoC Training Adviser

Postby 40kguy on Sun May 01, 2011 12:23 pm

Sniper08 wrote:ok first off the name is gonna have to change no fan of FOOTBALL is gonna accept that name.choose a name like "the beautiful game" or to use its formal name association football.

second why not add managers ,subs , referee ,linesman 4th offical and possibly a stadium crowd?

ok, will add that stuff.
16:00:18 ‹Pixar› Valentines Day the one day in they year that the V and the D come together
Cook 40kguy

Postby Nola_Lifer on Sun May 01, 2011 1:11 pm

I think it should be named after a team. Like the great Brazilian of '82 or maybe france '98 and not just "Soccer." Also, we have the world cup map, so maybe make a Euro 2012 one?
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby 40kguy on Sun May 01, 2011 1:40 pm

Nola_Lifer wrote:I think it should be named after a team. Like the great Brazilian of '82 or maybe france '98 and not just "Soccer." Also, we have the world cup map, so maybe make a Euro 2012 one?

I cant name things after teams, full player names, or anything that can be copy righted.
Cook 40kguy

Postby Sniper08 on Sun May 01, 2011 1:58 pm

the quicker you rename the map the more support you will get from non americans.as it stands its more likely people will complain over the name rather than offer help in developing the map.

do you want this map to follow a theme, ie a tournament Euro 2012 or a just a ordinary football match or possible a rival football match theme(although copyright may prevent you from having a rival theme)

2 different benches with 5 different territories on each bench (representing the 5 subs each team is allowed) you could also add the manager and assistant manager as a bonus on both teams. also you could spit the crowd(if your gonna use a crowd) into the home support and the away support.

also wheres the ball? i didnt see it on your orginal draft.
Colonel Sniper08
SoC Training Adviser

Postby 40kguy on Thu May 05, 2011 2:52 pm

So just so i know what i need to do, I need a
crowd (we need a size)
change the name of the map so i can get more help.

anything else?
Cook 40kguy

Re: Soccer/football map

Postby natty dread on Sat May 07, 2011 4:08 am

I think you need to work on the gameplay plan...

The current setting seems a bit too open: all players can attack midfielders, all forwards attack all defenders, etc... seems a bit too "free-for-all", adding some complexity to the connections would be good. Not to make them too convoluted, though.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby 40kguy on Sat May 07, 2011 9:00 am

natty_dread wrote:I think you need to work on the gameplay plan...

The current setting seems a bit too open: all players can attack midfielders, all forwards attack all defenders, etc... seems a bit too "free-for-all", adding some complexity to the connections would be good. Not to make them too convoluted, though.

any thoughts on this one?
Cook 40kguy

Postby Sniper08 on Sat May 07, 2011 9:23 am

40kguy wrote:

while natty seems to offer criticism instead of any idea for improvement i think he is right.

maybe forwards can only attack central defenders , wingers can attack full backs ( the defenders on each wing) ,center mids can attack 1 forward and 1 defender and goalkeeper can bombard enemy in some places

as far as crowd is concerned im thnking split it into 8 terr ,6 home crowd terr and 2 away crowd terr with some connection to the players to the pitch or the bench

id like to see an update to the map with includes the ball ,managers ,crowd ,bench referees ,linesman
Colonel Sniper08
SoC Training Adviser

Postby 40kguy on Mon May 09, 2011 5:20 pm

Sniper08 wrote:
40kguy wrote:

while natty seems to offer criticism instead of any idea for improvement i think he is right.

maybe forwards can only attack central defenders , wingers can attack full backs ( the defenders on each wing) ,center mids can attack 1 forward and 1 defender and goalkeeper can bombard enemy in some places

as far as crowd is concerned im thnking split it into 8 terr ,6 home crowd terr and 2 away crowd terr with some connection to the players to the pitch or the bench

id like to see an update to the map with includes the ball ,managers ,crowd ,bench referees ,linesman

you have any ideas where the balls should be?
Cook 40kguy

Postby Sniper08 on Tue May 10, 2011 3:29 pm

one ball and im thinking in the centre circle with a neutral starting and the ability to attack goalkeepers?
Colonel Sniper08
SoC Training Adviser

Postby 40kguy on Wed May 11, 2011 5:36 pm

something like this

Cook 40kguy

Next

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas