Conquer Club

Darts

Have an idea for a map? Discuss ideas and concepts here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Darts >> GAMEPLAY DISCUSSION

Postby Gillipig on Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:02 am

May I suggest you have some darts attached to the dart board! You could make some interesting bonuses and game play if you include darts! I'd also like to see a more rugged dart board. Something with more character. I'm not too fond with the unused dartboard look. I think this can be an awesome map if made with care!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Silent Killer on Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:12 pm

Gillipig wrote:May I suggest you have some darts attached to the dart board! You could make some interesting bonuses and game play if you include darts! I'd also like to see a more rugged dart board. Something with more character. I'm not too fond with the unused dartboard look. I think this can be an awesome map if made with care!

On the earlier version of this map, it was a bit more "used" looking, Ill be recreating this look for the final Board graphic.

As for adding darts, I don't think it would work.
To have the darts look realistic would mean they would be blocking parts of the board.
Although I may be able to add them in instead of the crosses for the Out Shots I created.

Ill keep this in mind. Cheers
Corporal 1st Class Silent Killer

Postby thenobodies80 on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:56 pm

Let me change this thread to sticky for a couple of days, then I'll move it to the main foundry workshop, where the gameplay will be discussed properly ;)

Nobodies
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Postby Silent Killer on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:09 pm

thenobodies80 wrote:Let me change this thread to sticky for a couple of days, then I'll move it to the main foundry workshop, where the gameplay will be discussed properly ;)

Nobodies

Cheers!

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:23 pm

Hello! Hello! Always delighted to see a map get back into the production line, or what have you. I'll admit, symmetry has its deficits, but, I think we can, in the words of Tim Gunn, "make it work".

Sort of building off of what DiM suggested, I think an objective would work well here, where you have to get 301 points (or something of the like) to achieve victory, and have bonuses scored by means other than the face values of the dartboard sections. I think if you perhaps reorganized the colors a bit, you could use those as bonus areas (perhaps +X per Y of one color). Some other things to think about are potentially having each section have more than one "territory" within itself, since multiple darts could theoretically hit the same section of the target, and perhaps a simulation of limited dart 'throws' via starting positions, where each player has three darts that can each access a different portion of the dartboard, and the bullseye could perhaps attack the darts - losing conditions could be used here... Idk, it's a lot to think about, but there are some ideas for you gameplay-wise.

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby MrBenn on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:33 pm

Victor Sullivan wrote:Hello! Hello! Always delighted to see a map get back into the production line, or what have you. I'll admit, symmetry has its deficits, but, I think we can, in the words of Tim Gunn, "make it work".

Sort of building off of what DiM suggested, I think an objective would work well here, where you have to get 301 points (or something of the like) to achieve victory, and have bonuses scored by means other than the face values of the dartboard sections. I think if you perhaps reorganized the colors a bit, you could use those as bonus areas (perhaps +X per Y of one color). Some other things to think about are potentially having each section have more than one "territory" within itself, since multiple darts could theoretically hit the same section of the target, and perhaps a simulation of limited dart 'throws' via starting positions, where each player has three darts that can each access a different portion of the dartboard, and the bullseye could perhaps attack the darts - losing conditions could be used here... Idk, it's a lot to think about, but there are some ideas for you gameplay-wise.

-Sully

Why not make it "hold 301/501 to win", but if you hold *more* than 301/501 you go bust and are eliminated? That can be done with the xml - and there are not enough maps with losing conditions...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:35 pm

MrBenn wrote:
Victor Sullivan wrote:Hello! Hello! Always delighted to see a map get back into the production line, or what have you. I'll admit, symmetry has its deficits, but, I think we can, in the words of Tim Gunn, "make it work".

-Sully

Why not make it "hold 301/501 to win", but if you hold *more* than 301/501 you go bust and are eliminated? That can be done with the xml - and there are not enough maps with losing conditions...

Ah! I like it! :)

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby MrBenn on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:44 pm

Why not start with a number of darts (starting positions) off the actual board, that can bombard anywhere on the board - to simulate throwing darts. Different places could give you different autodeploys (could even do it based on the points-value of each square)

You could use something similar to the Baseball starting dynamic with 3 darts per player, with each dart being able to one-way attack the thrower (a killer neutral), who can in-turn attack anywhere on the board. To start off, there will be varying neutrals around the board (so that triple 20 is harder to get than 1 or 5) - which will give you some assymetry... Each segment on the board could attack neighbouring segments (so singles attack neighbouring singles or adjacent double/triple for the same number), with perhaps an autodeploy of +2 on doubles and +3 on triples.... Just trying to think how to make the game play like a game of darts....

edit: this is in combination with the 301/501 objective, and >301/501 "Bust" losing condition
edit: you could also have your out-shot bonuses too (and I like the way you have them marked out)
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby MrBenn on Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:50 pm

Further to your out-shot bonus idea, if each "player" has a set of flights, then that player could get a greater bonus for holding the out-shot that corresponds to their flight (if you use markers that correspond on the board)... There's no reason you couldn't make these overlap (so you could have two flights in triple-17 for example) - which might encourage different people to fight for specific slots?
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby lostatlimbo on Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:34 pm

I like Mr Benn's suggestions. This could turn into a great map.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby Victor Sullivan on Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:37 pm

lostatlimbo wrote:I like Mr Benn's suggestions. This could turn into a great map.

Plus one, indeed!

-Sully
Corporal Victor Sullivan

Postby natty dread on Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:35 am

If you make the victory condition so that you have to get 301 points, you have to code every possible way you can get that amount, every possible combination of territories that gives that amount... the XML will be huge. I don't think it's feasible with the current XML.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby MrBenn on Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:57 am

natty_dread wrote:If you make the victory condition so that you have to get 301 points, you have to code every possible way you can get that amount, every possible combination of territories that gives that amount... the XML will be huge. I don't think it's feasible with the current XML.

Hmmm :-k

How many combinations are we looking at? Perhaps it would be easier to work out which combinations work out to be more than 301... If you hold more than 40 dartboard terrs and then you have to have scored >301... and you have to hold a minimum of 6 terrs... so that's one way of instigating part of the "bust" losing condition.... here are the dartboard territores and their scores (assuming that you can hold inner and outer segments to score a number twice)...

Outer Single 1 ( 1 )
Inner Single 1 ( 1 )
Outer Single 2 ( 2 )
Inner Single 2 ( 2 )
Double 1 ( 2 )
Outer Single 3 ( 3 )
Inner Single 3 ( 3 )
Treble 1 ( 3 )
Outer Single 4 ( 4 )
Inner Single 4 ( 4 )
Double 2 ( 4 )
Outer Single 5 ( 5 )
Inner Single 5 ( 5 )
Outer Single 6 ( 6 )
Inner Single 6 ( 6 )
Double 3 ( 6 )
Treble 2 ( 6 )
Outer Single 7 ( 7 )
Inner Single 7 ( 7 )
Outer Single 8 ( 8 )
Inner Single 8 ( 8 )
Double 4 ( 8 )
Outer Single 9 ( 9 )
Inner Single 9 ( 9 )
Treble 3 ( 9 )
Outer Single 10 ( 10 )
Inner Single 10 ( 10 )
Double 5 ( 10 )
Outer Single 11 ( 11 )
Inner Single 11 ( 11 )
Outer Single 12 ( 12 )
Inner Single 12 ( 12 )
Double 6 ( 12 )
Treble 4 ( 12 )
Outer Single 13 ( 13 )
Inner Single 13 ( 13 )
Outer Single 14 ( 14 )
Inner Single 14 ( 14 )
Double 7 ( 14 )
Outer Single 15 ( 15 )
Inner Single 15 ( 15 )
Treble 5 ( 15 )
Outer Single 16 ( 16 )
Inner Single 16 ( 16 )
Double 8 ( 16 )
Outer Single 17 ( 17 )
Inner Single 17 ( 17 )
Outer Single 18 ( 18 )
Inner Single 18 ( 18 )
Double 9 ( 18 )
Treble 6 ( 18 )
Outer Single 19 ( 19 )
Inner Single 19 ( 19 )
Outer Single 20 ( 20 )
Inner Single 20 ( 20 )
Double 10 ( 20 )
Treble 7 ( 21 )
Double 11 ( 22 )
Double 12 ( 24 )
Treble 8 ( 24 )
Outer Bull ( 25 )
Double 13 ( 26 )
Treble 9 ( 27 )
Double 14 ( 28 )
Double 15 ( 30 )
Treble 10 ( 30 )
Double 16 ( 32 )
Treble 11 ( 33 )
Double 17 ( 34 )
Double 18 ( 36 )
Treble 12 ( 36 )
Double 19 ( 38 )
Treble 13 ( 39 )
Double 20 ( 40 )
Treble 14 ( 42 )
Treble 15 ( 45 )
Treble 16 ( 48 )
Inner Bull ( 50 )
Treble 17 ( 51 )
Treble 18 ( 54 )
Treble 19 ( 57 )
Treble 20 ( 60 )
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Silent Killer on Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:25 pm

Some great idea's Ben - Ill update this in the coming week or two

Postby jcarter1 on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:07 pm

natty_dread wrote:If you make the victory condition so that you have to get 301 points, you have to code every possible way you can get that amount, every possible combination of territories that gives that amount... the XML will be huge. I don't think it's feasible with the current XML.

well you can write a script that creates the xml for you... i also doubt the xml will be > 2GB seeing that its just some text, so there is no problem fitting it into a DOM tree (i assume thats being used to parse the XML!?). It would indeed look pretty ugly and it is definitely easier to change the current XML parser (no idea what its capabilities are) to accomodate something like this much easier.
Major jcarter1
SoC Training Adviser

Postby natty dread on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:08 pm

jcarter1 wrote:

well you can write a script that creates the xml for you... i also doubt the xml will be > 2GB seeing that its just some text, so there is no problem fitting it into a DOM tree (i assume thats being used to parse the XML!?). It would indeed look pretty ugly and it is definitely easier to change the current XML parser (no idea what its capabilities are) to accomodate something like this much easier.

:lol:

It doesn't work like that...

Postby jcarter1 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:16 am

well you care to elaborate as opposed to just laughing about it?
Major jcarter1
SoC Training Adviser

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:28 am

2 gigabytes is way too big for an XML file. Like, orders of magnitude too big.

Postby jcarter1 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:35 pm

Thats simply not true - it can even be much bigger than that and still be searched rather quickly (but then you need something like a SAX parser as opposed to DOM). DOM loads the whole XML file into the memory - standard computers (and definitely servers!!) have double that and more nowadays.

And then again: I HIGHLY!!! doubt the file would get that big anyways.
Major jcarter1
SoC Training Adviser

Postby natty dread on Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:08 pm

jcarter1 wrote:Thats simply not true - it can even be much bigger than that and still be searched rather quickly (but then you need something like a SAX parser as opposed to DOM). DOM loads the whole XML file into the memory - standard computers (and definitely servers!!) have double that and more nowadays.

The CC server is not able to handle XML files of that size. The maximum is around 300-400 kilobytes.

Postby thenobodies80 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:22 am

natty_dread wrote:
jcarter1 wrote:Thats simply not true - it can even be much bigger than that and still be searched rather quickly (but then you need something like a SAX parser as opposed to DOM). DOM loads the whole XML file into the memory - standard computers (and definitely servers!!) have double that and more nowadays.

The CC server is not able to handle XML files of that size. The maximum is around 300-400 kilobytes.

What natty said is true. The game engine can't handle too big files. Something around the sizes he wrote.

Postby Gillipig on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:52 am

I've said it before and I'll say it again put some darts onto the board and make the dart board look rugged and this could be a cool map. I'm not for the idea of an unused dartboard and you can make some more creative gameplay if you put some darts on it!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby natty dread on Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:15 am

Ok this hasn't been updated in over a month... isn't it time to bin this

Postby isaiah40 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:12 am

[Moved]

It would appear that development of this map has stalled. If the mapmaker wants to continue with the map, then one of the Foundry Moderators will be able to help put the thread back into the Foundry system, after an update has been made. ;-)
Lieutenant isaiah40

Re: Darts

Postby thenobodies80 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:44 am

Moving this one into the ideas subforum, according to the current Foundry Guidelines --> viewtopic.php?f=649&t=150681&p=3292833#p3292833

If the map has NOT received at least the Draft Stamp, it will be considered just an advanced idea and therefore it will be moved back to the Idea Subforum.

Nobodies

PreviousNext

Return to Melting Pot: Map Ideas