Conquer Club

Official 2010 CC World Cup Event

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby samuelc812 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:04 am

The Entertainment Team are proud to present.........

The Entertainment Team would like to invite you to celebrate the 2010 FIFA World Cup with Conquer Club, which is being held in South Africa from June 11th until July 11th. We've organised a few special things to help you and everyone on Conquer Club join in with the celebrations! :)

Limited Edition "World Cup" Map

With the help of MrBenn and the Cartography Team we bring you the Limited Edition: World Cup Map! It will be available for play for the duration of the World Cup from June 11th until July 11th :)

Preview the Map here!

Speed Game Holiday

To help our freemium members celebrate and partake in the special speed tournament, there will be 48 hours of Free Unlimited Speed Games ONLY on the Limited Edition: World Cup Map!

The Free Speed Games will begin at 12:01am CST on Saturday the 10th of July and will come to a close at 12:01am CST on Monday the 13th of July!

Official CC World Speed Cup 2010

The Entertainment Team, DJ Teflon and the Discussions Team have joined forces to bring you a special treat to finish off our World Cup Event! Conquer Club's speed tournament expert DJ Teflon has offered to run an official speed tournament to end things with a bang, you need to pay attention to the details below before signing up for it though :)

• This speed tournament will take place on Saturday 10th July 2010.
  • The first round will kick-off at 6.30pm BST (London time/GMT +1). This is 1.30PM EST, 12.30PM CST.
  • Please check your time zone with this link - World Clock.
  • Registered players must be ready to join at 6.10pm BST (London time/GMT +1).
  • Only players who have not already joined one of the current Official World Cup Celebration Tournaments can pre-register (others may be able to join on the day however).
  • Players must remain logged-on to CC until they are out of the tournament, or until they win. ;)
  • You need to make sure that you have enough time to dedicate to this tournament, before signing up (The tournament will be running for several hours).
  • Freemium members can participate in this tournament.

Thanks to the Discussions Team we have some great premium prizes up for grabs! See the tournament thread for more information, make sure you know the rules and minor details before signing up! :)

Official CC World Speed Cup 2010

Official Tournaments

Both tournaments are now FULL and are now underway :)

Organisers: Pander88uk & Gilligan
Official 2010 CC World Cup - Singles Tournament

Organiser: amazzony
Official 2010 CC World Cup - Doubles Tournament

Guessing Contest

As it said in the announcement for the guessing contest, it was the most correct answer we were looking for, so without further delay....

The most correct answer (as judged by the Entertainment Team) was that of I___YourMom =D>

I___YourMom wrote:A tournament involving a special, new, South Africa World Cup map featuring teams as territories with their groups as the bonus regions, including a special world cup territory in the middle of the map.

Simple? Maybe but it was most accurate. Congratulations on winning 3 months premium! :)

--The Entertainment Team
Captain samuelc812

Re: Official 2010 CC World Cup Event

Postby lord voldemort on Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:23 am

very cool
Lieutenant lord voldemort

Postby drunkmonkey on Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:46 am

I still think it should have been a "Pinky and the Brain" tournament. But looks cool nonetheless. :mrgreen:
Major drunkmonkey

Postby ender516 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:28 am

drunkmonkey wrote:I still think it should have been a "Pinky and the Brain" tournament. But looks cool nonetheless. :mrgreen:

:lol: narf!
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby Leehar on Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Awesome!
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby Teflon Kris on Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:09 pm

I was hoping the new programmer dood would enable 11-players-per-team battle-royale style football games :(

However, nice one, I'm sure the map will be well popular :-) How do the starts work - 8 positions with each position having a 'region' (team) from each group?

And official tournaments - nice odea, wonder where that came from :lol:
Last edited by Teflon Kris on Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:11 pm

Great job entertainment team, cartographers, and tournament directors!!! :)
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby darkangelsguy205 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:22 pm

i got one right does that count
Sergeant darkangelsguy205

Postby Joodoo on Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:03 pm

Nice, and I thought missing out on the St.Patrick's Speed Games last year meant the end of free speed games...
but guess not :D
TheSaxlad wrote:The Dice suck a lot of the time.

And if they dont suck then they blow.

:D
Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:40 pm

I'm actually really really excited about this!
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby RjBeals on Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:58 pm

nice work behind the scenes.
Private RjBeals

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:06 pm

New map...looks so...confusing...must...learn...quickly...
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby ender516 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:58 pm

Any chance of posting a link to the XML for the new map, so we can run it up in one of the map-making tools to explore and inspect it?

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:54 am

ender516 wrote:Any chance of posting a link to the XML for the new map, so we can run it up in one of the map-making tools to explore and inspect it?

Rather than doing that, which may give an unfair advantage to people who know what they're looking for, let me explain how it works...

There are no bombardments, one-way attacks or killer neutrals; the only thing that might catch you out is the run of the green (intensity cubes) :lol:

Players begin in the group stages; the playoffs all start neutral, with increasing neutrals towards the finals. Seeded teams will be distributed evenly and will start with an extra man (each player will start the game with the same number of men on the pitch).

Each team can play (attack) each other team in the same group, as well as the corresponding winner/runner-up space on the Round of 16. The winner/runner-up can also attack back to any team within the corresponding group.

To get a bonus from the group stage, you'll need to hold 3/4 teams in a group AND the winner or runner-up.

In the playoff stages, each space can attack its direct opponent, its advancing slot, as well as previous slots (ie Quarter Finalist 1 can play/attack Winner Gp A, Runner-up Gp B, Quarter Finalist 3, and Semi Finalist A)

The bonuses for reaching the Quarter or Semi Finals are not accumulative; it's +2 regardless of how many Semi-Finalist positions you hold.

The 3rd Place Playoff space has a low number of neutrals, and provides a means of linking different halves of the bracket together, in the event a player would prefer to try and eliminate a specific opponent. The 3rd Place position only borders the Semi-Finalists; it does not link to the final game.

To win the game, you can either eliminate your target, eliminate all your opponents, or conquer and hold both the Finalist positions.

PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Joodoo on Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:11 am

MrBenn wrote:The 3rd Place Playoff space has a low number of neutrals, and provides a means of linking different halves of the bracket together, in the event a player would prefer to try and eliminate a specific opponent. The 3rd Place position only borders the Semi-Finalists; it does not link to the final game.

It would make assassin games quite interesting...everyone may just be fighting for that point instead of the neutral territories in the finals lol.

Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby skeletonboy on Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:25 am

MrBenn wrote:There are no bombardments, one-way attacks or killer neutrals; the only thing that might catch you out is the run of the green (intensity cubes) :lol:

Thats golf, not football :D
Sergeant skeletonboy

Postby carlpgoodrich on Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:31 am

I like this map a lot. In fact, I proposed something identical to it a couple months ago http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=106113. The only difference is I proposed a 64 team bracket instead of a 32 team bracket, and I thought one way attacks might work. Other than that, pretty much identical. And MrBenn, after saying you were "disappointed" in my map, I'm glad that you have come around to the extent that you made it yourself.
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby Joodoo on Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:35 am

carlpgoodrich wrote:I like this map a lot. In fact, I proposed something identical to it a couple months ago http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=106113. The only difference is I proposed a 64 team bracket instead of a 32 team bracket, and I thought one way attacks might work. Other than that, pretty much identical. And MrBenn, after saying you were "disappointed" in my map, I'm glad that you have come around to the extent that you made it yourself.

Interesting...
I personally give you some credit for this decent map to come into existence.

Lieutenant Joodoo

Postby samuelc812 on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:28 am

I believe inspiration came from Coleman's Bracket Tourney Map way back in the day http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=242&t=30740&hilit=Bracket#p800486....

~Sam
Captain samuelc812

Postby the.killing.44 on Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:42 am

MrBenn wrote:
ender516 wrote:Any chance of posting a link to the XML for the new map, so we can run it up in one of the map-making tools to explore and inspect it?

Neutral values?
Captain the.killing.44

Location: now tell me what got two gums and knows how to spit rhymes

Postby carlpgoodrich on Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:43 am

samuelc812 wrote:I believe inspiration came from Coleman's Bracket Tourney Map way back in the day http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=242&t=30740&hilit=Bracket#p800486....

~Sam

This may be true, and I am not crying for acknowledgment. I guess my point is that the reason I didn't pursue the map before was the unexpected negative feedback it got, especially from MrBenn. To discourage someone from making a map and then making it yourself shows a certain lack of maturity, especially for the leader of the Foundry. Guess I'm just a bit "disappointed"... but don't worry, it probably won't last.
Lieutenant carlpgoodrich

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:11 pm

carlpgoodrich wrote:...And MrBenn, after saying you were "disappointed" in my map, I'm glad that you have come around to the extent that you made it yourself.

Hang on a second, that's gross misrepresentation of what I actually said:
Subject: 'March Madness!' map
MrBenn wrote:From the title of the thread, I was expecting some sort of Mad Hatters Tea Party map, but was a little disappointed :lol:

Sorry if my throwaway comment discouraged you - that was not at all my intention ;-)

samuelc812 wrote:I believe inspiration came from Coleman's Bracket Tourney Map way back in the day http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=242&t=30740&hilit=Bracket#p800486....

~Sam

I asked Coleman to be involved with this project right at the very start, but he disappeared again :-(

Anyway, have I mentioned that I'm really really excited about this?
MrBenn wrote:I'm actually really really excited about this!
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:02 pm

So to clarify... the 3rd place playoffs territory is not part of the objective?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:55 pm

natty_dread wrote:So to clarify... the 3rd place playoffs territory is not part of the objective?

You can't win the World Cup by coming 3rd :lol:
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby ender516 on Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:08 pm

Somehow your remark sent my twisted mind to this:

And the Lord said, "Lazarus, come forth!" But he came fifth, so he won a balloon.

Next

Return to Announcement Archives