Conquer Club

Official 2010 CC World Cup Event

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Official 2010 CC World Cup Event

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:44 am

jakewilliams wrote:
natty_dread wrote:
jakewilliams wrote:I'm very disappointed to see a new map start with 12 terits per person in 1v1. Shame that you couldn't have made it more balanced.

The map never went through the foundry process, so what do you expect...

It's not like the foundry foreman was involved in the map or anything. Very disappointing.

As is the case with any map on Conquer Club, it won't be perfect for every setting, (but should be good for the majority of settings) and some settings should be avoided if you want to avoid any early luck factors. In that sense, it really is no different.

Moreover, limited edition maps are usually crafted for specific purposes, as was the case here.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby natty dread on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:21 pm

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a nice map and well made, should be fun, all props to Mr B... but as a limited edition map, like the st. patrick's day map, it was made in secrecy and thus didn't go through the rigorous peer-review system of the Foundry.

So I would say that making the maps this way has it's advantages and disadvantages. Advantages would be that it's a nice surprise for the players, disadvantages are... well, what I said in the first paragraph.

Anyway I'm not going to say anything more about the map until I've played a game or two on it...
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:29 pm

jakewilliams wrote:
natty_dread wrote:
jakewilliams wrote:I'm very disappointed to see a new map start with 12 terits per person in 1v1. Shame that you couldn't have made it more balanced.

The map never went through the foundry process, so what do you expect...

It's not like the foundry foreman was involved in the map or anything. Very disappointing.

I actually thought this had been addressed - here's a quote from the development thread:

MrBenn wrote:Each 'seeded' team is in a starting position, which means these will be distributed evenly.In 1v1 games, each person starts with 11 territories
I guess my maths must've been off... Let me see if I can fix it ;-)

edit: I think that the way to fix it is to lose the starting positions and the extra army on the seeded team...
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Ffraid on Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:43 pm

MrBenn wrote:
I actually thought this had been addressed - here's a quote from the development thread:

MrBenn wrote:Each 'seeded' team is in a starting position, which means these will be distributed evenly.In 1v1 games, each person starts with 11 territories

edit: I think that the way to fix it is to lose the starting positions and the extra army on the seeded team...

Yeah, I was kind of surprised when I took a look at grifftron's Game 7127032 that it was set up that way. Sounds like the extra army is the problem. If you could fix it, before the Singles tournament starts, that would be great!
Colonel Ffraid

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:00 pm

There are two choices to fix the 12 terrs issue:

1. Get rid of all the starting positions, and let the drop be completely random. In a 1v1 game this means that each player starts with 11 terrs, and the seeded teams would not have an extra man. For larger-player games it will increase the odds of somebody holding a group from the start (although no bonuses can be dropped).

2. Add more territories to the starting positions. While drafting the map I put together some groupings to dish out every country; in a 1v1 each player would then start with 16 terrs. I don't recall how this would effect larger-player games.

On balance, I guess I'd prefer option 1 :-k
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Ace Rimmer on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:01 pm

Thx for responding quickly, and admitting the error :) #1 is a better option I think, but I don't know what the odds are to drop a whole group.
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:26 pm

jakewilliams wrote:Thx for responding quickly, and admitting the error :) #1 is a better option I think, but I don't know what the odds are to drop a whole group.

There's a 15.85% probability that somebody will drop 3 terrs in a group in a 1v1 game, and 1.17% that somebody will get all 4.

There is an option #3, which would be to get rid of the territory bonus altogether, and keep it at a standard +3 regardless of how many territories you occupy..
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Ace Rimmer on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:34 pm

MrBenn wrote:
jakewilliams wrote:Thx for responding quickly, and admitting the error :) #1 is a better option I think, but I don't know what the odds are to drop a whole group.

There's a 15.85% probability that somebody will drop 3 terrs in a group in a 1v1 game, and 1.17% that somebody will get all 4.

There is an option #3, which would be to get rid of the territory bonus altogether, and keep it at a standard +3 regardless of how many territories you occupy..

I like that idea, with the World Cup theme - the key to winning would be to advance in the bracket and get bonuses that way.
Lieutenant Ace Rimmer

Postby tdans on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:34 pm

awesomeness... very cool guys. im impressed
Lieutenant tdans

Postby natty dread on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:43 pm

Yeah, the +3 for any number of territories will probably be the optimal solution here.

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:45 pm

Right then, let's go with option #3

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/1/9/2259283//WorldCup03.xml

When this goes live, the territory bonus will be capped at 3, meaning that no matter how many territories you occupy, you'll get the standard +3 to deploy, with any additional reinforcements you get from bonuses.
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby natty dread on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:49 pm

I think you will have to adjust the images too, to add a line in the legend that tells about the territory bonus... we can't expect every player to have been following this thread.

The Jamaica map's legend says "+3 for any number of territories" if I remember right... that should work here too.

Postby andyk11 on Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:50 pm

I have not received a game yet???
Private 1st Class andyk11

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:34 pm

MrBenn wrote:When this goes live

When will it go live?
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

Postby MrBenn on Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:50 pm

I've forwarded the files to lackattack, and you'll know when it goes live because either

a) He or I may post in this thread to say it's been updated
or
b) You see the additional line of explanation on the map image in game:
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Ffraid on Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:55 pm

iamkoolerthanu wrote:When will it go live?

Hopefully before the singles tournament starts.
Ffraid wrote:
MrBenn wrote:

...Sounds like the extra army is the problem.

I was wrong about the extra army being the problem. I didn't really understand what you meant by "seeded teams being distributed evenly", but now that I've looked at the 1 game from the doubles tournament that has started, I get it.

The math went wrong because, in a 1v1 game, after the seeded teams are divided up, 4 to a player, the remaining 24 teams are divided evenly by 3, giving each player 8 additional armies, for a total of 12, instead of all 32 group positions being divided by 3, which would have resulted in each player starting with 11.
Colonel Ffraid

Postby Royal Panda on Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:13 pm

andyk11 wrote:I have not received a game yet???

Batch 1 games for the Singles tournment will be sent out tonight. Remember to keep 3 spots open if you're freemium!
Brigadier Royal Panda

Postby Royal Panda on Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:36 pm

Pander88uk wrote:
andyk11 wrote:I have not received a game yet???

Batch 1 games for the Singles tournment will be sent out tonight. Remember to keep 3 spots open if you're freemium!

OK so there is a slight delay due to MrBenn's slight alterations, but Batch 1 will be sent ASAP!
Brigadier Royal Panda

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:58 pm

Woo, won my first game, not knowing what the Hell I was doing.

Also, winning gave me a nice leaf. Let's see if I can hold it now. =D
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Queen_Herpes on Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:14 am

FYI...coding bug...

Impossible to fortify from winning to runner up (and vice versa) in same group even with all group countries held. Please send me a PM to let me know if this is supposed to be this way.
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby kiwie on Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:20 am

great game great game ,i won no hand ball,but it hurt my brain
Sergeant kiwie

Postby Queen_Herpes on Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:28 am

I posted this in bug reports...but probably shoudl be posted here, too...

Operating System: Windows XP
Browser: Explorer
Scripts/third party programs used: None, they don't work on my system, thanks

Concise description:
  • fortifications aren't working on this map

Specifics:
  • cannot fortify from winner Gp * to runner up Gp * (and vice versa) in same group even with all group countries held. Despite the fact that attacks are all unidirectional from these positions. [e.g., a player can attack from RSA to winner Gp A then attack runner up Gp B then attack ARG then attack runner up Gp A.] (You would think you could fortify back through the way you attacked through...)
  • cannot fortify from Finalists past Semifinalists although you can attack from finalists to semifinalists to quarterfinalists to winner and runners up to groups.

Game:
Game 7132570 But I imagine it is this way with all games on this map...

Seems like fortifications should be able to go the directions of attacks. None of theses are bombardment nor one-way attacks.

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby MrBenn on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:31 am

Queen_Herpes wrote:I posted this in bug reports...but probably shoudl be posted here, too...

Concise description:

Specifics:
  • cannot fortify from winner Gp * to runner up Gp * (and vice versa) in same group even with all group countries held. Despite the fact that attacks are all unidirectional from these positions. [e.g., a player can attack from RSA to winner Gp A then attack runner up Gp B then attack ARG then attack runner up Gp A.] (You would think you could fortify back through the way you attacked through...)
  • cannot fortify from Finalists past Semifinalists although you can attack from finalists to semifinalists to quarterfinalists to winner and runners up to groups.

Game:

Seems like fortifications should be able to go the directions of attacks. None of theses are bombardment nor one-way attacks.
That's not a bug, that's adjacent fortifications!
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby wilkinc on Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:58 am

Is this the place to let you know that it should be 'Uruguay' instead of 'Uraguay' and the short version should be 'URU' instead of 'URA'?

Cheers

Chris
Major wilkinc

Postby iamkoolerthanu on Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:15 am

MrBenn wrote:
Queen_Herpes wrote:I posted this in bug reports...but probably shoudl be posted here, too...

Concise description:

Specifics:

Game:

That's not a bug, that's adjacent fortifications!

:lol: :P
Corporal 1st Class iamkoolerthanu

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives