Conquer Club

Clickable Maps

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Clickable Maps

Postby Teflon Kris on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:11 pm

purple73 wrote:I can no longer play games because I cannot view the map, so I cannot deploy troops.

Any sign of this 'downdate being scrapped any time soon so we can play again?
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby Teflon Kris on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:13 pm

dwilhelmi wrote:The problem is not in the update, but the bugs.

Correction:

There are two problems:

(1) Bugs

(2) The whole update means its not possible to play by mobile phone any more
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby sherkaner on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:20 pm

DJ Teflon wrote:(2) The whole update means its not possible to play by mobile phone any more

Which phone, and is javascript on on that phone? Someone mentioned it was working on the iphone earlier in this thread.

Btw, this is the first post I see that mentions this problem.
Colonel sherkaner

Postby nippersean on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:20 pm

Holy shit Lack - my cross or square says I'm deploying somewhere by 1 troop then i drop 3 in the arse of nowhere??
What's happening mate - just played the worst 2 turns ever on CC
Brigadier nippersean

Postby MrGlassB on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:24 pm

For the record the only thing I'm complaining about is the banner. I'm glad the update was made; it was long overdue. I'm merely pointing out some ways it could be improved.

MGB
Lieutenant MrGlassB

Postby lackattack on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:28 pm

Everybody using greasemonkey clickable maps, please upgrade to version 4.7. This should resolve any problems.

Keep in mind that 95% percent of our members do not use community scripts and we are trying our best to deliver clickable maps for everyone with minimal disruption to those who use the scripts.

brtrem wrote:I hate it. I am a dedicated keyboard user, and it's already screwed me 3 times. I focus on the "attack from" select input in the action form, then type the letter "e" to choose a territory that begins with that letter. Instead, it ends my turn. No attack, no card. grrr.

This bug should be fixed properly now. Sorry :oops:
Sergeant lackattack

Postby MrBenn on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:31 pm

When forting, it would be great if rather than right-clicking on the captured territory you could left-click on the original territory to advance 0. This would make the new clickable maps more functional from mobiles.
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Queen_Herpes on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:35 pm

Again, I appreciate the upgrade. From reading a lot of these posts, I have to ask: Was this beta'd? If so, did you select users with differing browsers, greasemonkey or not, etc.? Seems like a lot of this could have been prevented on a beta site.
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006

This link is the best way to make new players feel welcome...

http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=102006
Lieutenant Queen_Herpes

Postby natty dread on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:08 pm

There's a small bug...

When I use the activity panel, the hotkeys get disabled. But they won't get enabled again even if I click on the map... they should be, right?
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:54 pm

Queen_Herpes wrote:Again, I appreciate the upgrade. From reading a lot of these posts, I have to ask: Was this beta'd? If so, did you select users with differing browsers, greasemonkey or not, etc.? Seems like a lot of this could have been prevented on a beta site.

It was beta-tested. In fact, we've been working on it for quite a while! For the most part, it looks like our coordination with script authors was the issue. We coordinated for quite a bit of time before the release, but obviously some things slipped through the cracks to the Live Feature.

For every update lack does, he always checks all different browsers---infact, back checking to see how compatible everything is for past versions of browsers that may be used. For example, Lack backtested this to be compatible with Internet Explorer 6 I think, which was released near 2002.

We'll do our best to coordinate more thoroughly with script authors. Our regrets we had some issues.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby PERGO12 on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:25 pm

is there any way to disable this new feature,, i really dont like it at all . i know you dont have to use it but i dont even like seeing it
Corporal 1st Class PERGO12

Postby KiIIface on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:28 pm

Maybe i will get used to this new feature but so far I'm a skeptic. I updated to 4.7 and typing A/Q to shift 10 units still does not work all the time.This seems more of a hindrance to speed games as you can not quickly deploy ONE unit or spam place a few units quickly between different regions. I'm not sure if I would have won the few games this has messed me up but there was definitely a chance. Reinforcing still has its bugs too. You can not easily click one region and send to another. Be sure to see what boxes are highlighted on the map because those are the regions you will reinforce from/into regardless of what the scroll-down menu says. Very frustrating on chain or adjacent maps. Is there going to be a feature to use the old clicky map version? That would be very nice.
Colonel KiIIface

Postby Big Whiskey on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:47 pm

Big Whiskey wrote:I am not using this new feature and the # of troops in the assault boxes are now gone?

Assault from B.C(4) to Alaska (There should be a # of troops here)but there's not now?But when I attack from a different one there is. :-s

EDIT:It also does this when reinforcing troops.

Anyone having this problem?Does anyone have an answer?Andy?
General Big Whiskey

Postby Night Strike on Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:03 pm

Big Whiskey wrote:
Big Whiskey wrote:I am not using this new feature and the # of troops in the assault boxes are now gone?

Assault from B.C(4) to Alaska (There should be a # of troops here)but there's not now?But when I attack from a different one there is. :-s

Those numbers are placed by BOB, so you'd have to look there for answers.
Major Night Strike

Postby uk massive on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:20 pm

we are liking the clickable maps

niceone
Cook uk massive

Postby SuicidalSnowman on Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:26 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Big Whiskey wrote:

I posted this a few pages ago. I am losing a lot of BOB functionality as well, running updated Firefox and Greasemonkey on Mac OS X 10.5.8, only scripts are map rank and BOB.

Other functions lost: colors of territories in drop down menu

Also, I am not having the mis-deploy issue, but I am finding that the actual functioning is intermittent. As in I had a stack of 29 going against a 22, and was able to launch 3 attacks before having to go back to drop down.

If programmers want any more info/documentation, I'll be happy to provide it
Private SuicidalSnowman

Postby saraith on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:00 pm

SuicidalSnowman wrote:
I posted this a few pages ago. I am losing a lot of BOB functionality as well, running updated Firefox and Greasemonkey on Mac OS X 10.5.8, only scripts are map rank and BOB.

Other functions lost: colors of territories in drop down menu

Also, I am not having the mis-deploy issue, but I am finding that the actual functioning is intermittent. As in I had a stack of 29 going against a 22, and was able to launch 3 attacks before having to go back to drop down.

If programmers want any more info/documentation, I'll be happy to provide it

I'm having the same issues with BOB... I want to use this, and have been waiting for it for a long time, but I can's click on the map when BOB is turned on. And I need bob to tell me where my and my partners' terts are.

only diff between me and snowman is I'm using a windows machine (either XP or 7, depending where I happen to be working). Firefox 3.6.9, Greasemonkey 0.9.1, BOB 5.1.4
To achieve balance, first you must grow.
To grow, first you must learn.
To learn, first you must listen.
To listen, first you must shut the hell up.
-Buddhist saying
Corporal 1st Class saraith

Postby TheForgivenOne on Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:27 am

natty_dread wrote::roll:

Again with the complainers... No matter what great updates lack codes for this site, there's always a few sour grapes who are against any change just out of principle.

How about we change the site back to the way it was back in 2006, and remove all Add-ons. Then never ever add anything new to the site. I like that plan :D

BTW, all my clickies and stuff has been working perfectly fine :mrgreen: Then again i'm using Google Chrome, not Firefox( :sick: )
Game 1675072
2018-08-09 16:02:06 - Mageplunka69: its jamaica map and TFO that keep me on this site
Major TheForgivenOne

Postby General Roy on Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:27 am

I'd better mention that the lag is less noticeable today than it was yesterday.

I have no problem with addons, by the way, but forcing the addons on everyone is a different issue. I like BOB, and couldn't be without it, but I see no reason to force it's functionality on everyone.

Like colour coding: I could not be without it either - I have big problems distinguishing between red and green, and yellow and orange. But I prefer the possibility to be able to turn it on or off as I want to, rather than having the game decide that everyone should either have it on or not have it on.

The same with clickable maps. A good idea, but I think each player should be able to decide for himself if it should be active or not.
Atom1: I've lost my electrons! Atom2: Are you sure? Atom1: Yes I'm positive
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN, YET THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE, SO ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS.
Sergeant 1st Class General Roy

Postby natty dread on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:36 am

TheForgivenOne wrote:Then again i'm using Google Chrome, not Firefox( :sick: )

What, you use spyware for a browser and you're proud of it?

(couldn't resist...) ;)

Postby Big Whiskey on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:43 am

Night Strike wrote:
Big Whiskey wrote:

Yah but Night Strike it happened as soon as the new feature was introduced.
General Big Whiskey

Postby Leehar on Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:59 am

saraith wrote:I'm having the same issues with BOB... I want to use this, and have been waiting for it for a long time, but I can's click on the map when BOB is turned on. And I need bob to tell me where my and my partners' terts are.

I think I mentioned it in the bob thread. I think it was just Map inspect that interfered with clickies, so if you remove it(turn it 'off')?...

General Roy wrote:I'd better mention that the lag is less noticeable today than it was yesterday.

I have no problem with addons, by the way, but forcing the addons on everyone is a different issue. I like BOB, and couldn't be without it, but I see no reason to force it's functionality on everyone.

Like colour coding: I could not be without it either - I have big problems distinguishing between red and green, and yellow and orange. But I prefer the possibility to be able to turn it on or off as I want to, rather than having the game decide that everyone should either have it on or not have it on.

The same with clickable maps. A good idea, but I think each player should be able to decide for himself if it should be active or not.

There is the option to turn the indicators off if need be, and if it's out of sight it's out of mind. I think the drop-down errors are an unintended side effect, I haven't actually come across it, but I'm sure if there are errors with people misdeploying etc because of this feature it'd be looked at.
I don't really agree with those saying that if it's still working in the background it makes things slower and the like and with regards to disabling it fully, I'm not certain if it's that simple to have an on/off switch with a feature like this.

Also, the same with the people displaying concern with the mobile applications (DJ I think?), I think it's a pretty good feature for that considering all the touch-screen phones out there currently. Just press and attack?

Basically, the only thing I'm most interested in seeing is that both ways of playing (dropdowns and clickies) just work independently of each other, yet still simultaneously. So if the errors that people are seeing with regards to using drop-downs can be fixed, this will really be an amazing feature that was worth implementing.

I'm actually concerned with the amount of people that disliked this. It's obvious that lack spent a lot of time working on this, and to see some of the reactions, it'd suck if it caused him to spend less time developing and updating this great site, tho I do doubt it'll happen since I don't think Donatello could stay away from the techie stuff ;)
Tfo made a nice subtle point about it.

Also, I guess we should also remember that the people mentioning the bug are largely the ones here, and most who are happy/unconcerned with the feature are still going about their merry way. This is simply a nice feature thats making a great site better, and hopefully we can remember of it as such.
Big Whiskey wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
Big Whiskey wrote:

Yah but Night Strike it happened as soon as the new feature was introduced.

Still, it's a scripting issue, so Sherk would need to have a look at it to go about having a work-around for it. It's best to mention it in the bob thread, since I think the admins have mentioned a few times about script issues and how to go about resolving them.
Last edited by Leehar on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
show
Colonel Leehar

Postby Bruceswar on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:01 am

natty_dread wrote:
shieldgenerator7 wrote:Just a side note, currently there is a cow in the post right above mine, and its tongue keeps coming detached from its mouth

:lol:

This made me laugh also.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just saying thanks again. For those of who used CM for a long time now this is nothing to write home about. For the rest of you welcome to the world!
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Corporal Bruceswar

Postby Gillipig on Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:35 am

Well I've uninstalled click maps now! Thought I'd let you know that this isn't viewed as a "successful" update by all of it's users! I really enjoyed using it before but I can't trust it anymore! It's pure lottery where it will deploy the troops. I think this update has scared away more current users than it'll attract new!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby natty dread on Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:14 am

I think this update has scared away more current users than it'll attract new!

I seriously doubt that.

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives