Conquer Club

Round Limits

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Round Limits

Postby shijinn on Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:20 pm

nvrijn wrote: ...

But if the primary factor was territories or bonuses, it's different (and I think better). The player who is strategic enough to barricade themselves off from multiple attackers, while racing around and ensuring no one else has a higher territory count, or bonus count, probably deserves to win. The downside is that it offers a real disadvantage to the guy that goes first.

I suspect the optimum way would be to choose the winner based upon several factors.

Total number of bonuses
Total number of territories (factors different if different number of territories in the variant)
The remaining number of men

It might be more complex to figure out, but that is GOOD because it gives a player several ways to win, the point weighing reflects the actual strategy considerations, the special suicide end game strategy is minimized, and it would provide several strategies for winning as the turn clock ticked down, instead of only one.

Is the current "end value" computation of this new variant written in stone?

Regards,

NVRijn

this. control over the map should be given a heavier weightage than simply having more men from turtling.
Colonel shijinn

Postby qwertylpc on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:39 pm

DJ Teflon wrote:Would have liked the option for a game to be a 'Draw' when the limit is reached (i.e. no winner - no points)

i agree
-qwertylpc :D 8-) :lol:

My active tournaments looking for players
Q's "Hey you went first!"
Q's 1v1 NBA Playoffs
Q's Feudal Overlord

Game 9151351
Most Consecutive Troops Defeated 0
Most Consecutive Troops Lost 14
Major qwertylpc

Location: In front of a computer somewhere out there in the universe

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:12 am

qwertylpc wrote:
DJ Teflon wrote:Would have liked the option for a game to be a 'Draw' when the limit is reached (i.e. no winner - no points)

i agree

Who are you? And what have you done with qwert?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby demonfork on Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:05 am

5000 or so games with round limits have ended so far. Less than 100 of them reached their limits.

An update was done for something that happens 2% of the time, what a waste.
Sergeant 1st Class demonfork

Postby denominator on Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:29 am

demonfork wrote:5000 or so games with round limits have ended so far. Less than 100 of them reached their limits.

An update was done for something that happens 2% of the time, what a waste.

While I agree with that stat, most of the games that would have reached their limits would have been the 20-rounders. I believe, in a month or so, the 100 rounders will start coming into effect and the percentage will bump a bit (probably to 5%).

Furthermore, that's only the games that have round limits turned on - I can only assume an even greater number of games have ended with round limits turned off. So it's actually far less than 2% of the time that round limits determine the game.
Lieutenant denominator

Postby shijinn on Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:51 pm

i think it's a bit misleading to compare 8 player slow cook games to the horde of 1v1 farming games. who genuinely prefers playing Risk with only 2 players if not for points?
Colonel shijinn

Postby ender516 on Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:19 am

I prefer 2- or 3-player games because I don't have to wait up to a week for a turn like I might in one of those 8-player monsters. Also, don't I stand to win more points from seven opponents than I do from one or two, presuming I prevail?
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Postby sannemanrobinson on Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:34 pm

You do get more points is you prevail in a 8-player monster.
Major sannemanrobinson

Postby shijinn on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:55 am

there must be a reason why the top players play so many 1v1 or team games (which are essentially 1v1 too) while those with less to lose play games with a greater variety of settings..
Colonel shijinn

Postby denominator on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:44 am

shijinn wrote:there must be a reason why the top players play so many 1v1 or team games (which are essentially 1v1 too) while those with less to lose play games with a greater variety of settings..

There is less left to chance. 1v1 and team games are far easier to specialize in - you can script a number of plays from start to finish and do the same thing every time. In single player games, with 3 or more players, there comes a random factor of one of the players who is not you screwing up and handing the game to someone else who is not you. So while you may not win as many points in a 1v1 game, you tend to win more frequently and have a higher net gain than in other gametypes.
Lieutenant denominator

Postby codierose on Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:20 pm

prob already covered but what happens when the sitter sits and builds sit and builds etc etc etc for say 20 rounds the rest work hard to try and win then its 20 round time and the sitter win for doing nothing,zip, f all theres a few maps that are perfect for that
Major codierose

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:06 am

codierose wrote:prob already covered but what happens when the sitter sits and builds sit and builds etc etc etc for say 20 rounds the rest work hard to try and win then its 20 round time and the sitter win for doing nothing,zip, f all theres a few maps that are perfect for that

I guess the only solution to that problem is to refuse to join no-cards games on those maps.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby lackattack on Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:48 pm

UDPATE

I added 30 rounds to the existings options, based on public feedback
Sergeant lackattack

Postby drake_259 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:44 am

wouldn't have adding most spoils before going to who joint first been better. although unlikely to get there, if someone has more spoils, their in the better position.
Corporal drake_259

Previous

Return to Announcement Archives