Conquer Club

Conquer Cup I

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer Cup I

Postby LoneStranger on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:12 pm

This sounds like horseshit to me. Premium members should get free entry. Shouldn't you be adding to the perks of membership instead of diminishing it's value?

And Conquer Credits? Those schemes to get free credits lower the respectability of the website immensely. I stayed with this game because it was classy and well put together. I see these moves as a crumbling of the foundation.
Corporal 1st Class LoneStranger

Postby pissedoffsol on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:30 pm

I don't mind contributing a few bucks to have fun and support the site at the same time. It clearly is a fund raiser.

People need to eat.
Servers aren't free.

I know i use well more than my $20 premium allotment a year in b/w alone.
13k Games and counting!
Corporal 1st Class pissedoffsol

Postby john9blue on Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:43 pm

sounds awesome... too bad i wasn't on the scoreboard so i don't get any credits... :( time to work on those surveys lol
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby IcePack on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:07 pm

Why do first round losers have a chance at free entry next year, but bronze cuppers receive nothing? How about an increased chance for free entry...something?

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby greenoaks on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:16 pm

will the Ipad be mailed to australia free of charge if someone from here wins the tournament?

is the $50 gift voucher transferrable to those of us outside of the USA?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:34 pm

Rodion wrote:How do I go about gifting a spot in the tourney?

Good question. For now the answer seems to be: whoever you want to gift the prize too change their password, you log in as them and fill out the form and then they can change their password back again afterwards.
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby lackattack on Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:54 pm

greenoaks wrote:will the Ipad be mailed to australia free of charge if someone from here wins the tournament?

is the $50 gift voucher transferrable to those of us outside of the USA?

We will ship the iPad to wherever you are, free of charge.

If for some reason you cannot use the gift voucher where you live, you'll get something of equivalence.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Qwert on Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:17 pm

well these is lack site,so he can do everything what he like.
I realy have impresion that something new will be implemented for all comunity , but i dont know how these implementation will bring people here in CC? Now its look that these tournament for noob people who have money to spend,dont knowing that right in first round can be eliminated,and play only one game. Tournament structure are very bad, because dont have structure who will be funny and interesting, and these is what need to attract people. I think that these tournament will fail right in start,and dont get enough players, because 5$ its sound like small money, but in mine country you can buy groceries for very nice dinner,or you can buy 14 beers.
One step backward.
NEW REVOLUTION-NEW RANKS PRESS THESE LINK viewtopic.php?f=471&t=47578&start=0
Major Qwert
SoC Training Adviser

Postby oort on Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:40 pm

The ipad will be mine! :D
Corporal oort

Postby ws1 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:33 pm

Better yet Im going to qwerts country wher you can get 14 beers for $5
Sergeant 1st Class ws1

Location: Chicago, New York, Detroit and its all on the same street

Postby Agent 86 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:34 pm

Yep, same here..I can buy 11 600ml beers for $5 of the beer I like..even more for a cheaper brand I don't like. It will also buy me dinner for 2 at a decent restaurant :lol: So yeah expensive for me...
We are the Fallen, an unstoppable wave of Darkness.
Major Agent 86

Postby samuelc812 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:46 pm

The settings are close to that of the Annual Risk Classic right? Even if they aren't exactly the same thing, people pay $50ish dollars to enter the Risk Classic and there is a chance you only get 2 games out of it plus all your travel expenses. This tournament costs you $5 and you don't have to travel or put yourself up in a hotel, taking your turn is a lot more flexible and you don't need to commit an entire weekend. So if you look at it that way it is value for money, don't get me wrong though i'm not bagging the Risk Classic.

~Sam
Captain samuelc812

Postby DiM on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:00 pm

samuelc812 wrote:The settings are close to that of the Annual Risk Classic right? Even if they aren't exactly the same thing, people pay $50ish dollars to enter the Risk Classic and there is a chance you only get 2 games out of it plus all your travel expenses. This tournament costs you $5 and you don't have to travel or put yourself up in a hotel, taking your turn is a lot more flexible and you don't need to commit an entire weekend. So if you look at it that way it is value for money, don't get me wrong though i'm not bagging the Risk Classic.

~Sam

this has nothing to do with the risk classic.
when you go to a board game convention/competition you don't just go there play a few games then head straight home you do plenty of other stuff that range from sight seeing to exchanging opinions with other gameboard fans.

so yeah, 5 bucks to enter this cup is a lot for some people especially when 1291 people will get just 1-3 normal cc games and maybe a bronze/silver cup. ONLY 6 people will actually earn something.
in my country beer is a bit more expensive than in qwert's but i can still get 10 500ml bottles for that kind of money.

so yeah i have 10 beers on 1 hand and 1-3 games of risk on the other hand.

hmmm. i think i'll buy 8 beers and with the rest of the money some chips and call some friends over to play risk on an actual boardgame.
sounds like a better deal to me.
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby denominator on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:07 pm

I'm on the fence on this one. While I think $5 is a bit steep to join a tournament such as this, I see the reasoning behind it. I think there needs to be better implementation of ways for people to get in for free, or a different sort of implementation for the points (why not sell 500 points for $5 and then have the entry fee at 200 - gets around the transaction costs but prices it closer to it's actual worth based on the prizes).

However, I like the automation of the games and the way everything is done automatically. I'm probably going to join just to see that happen. I do have a question regarding the rule against account sitting though. Is this also somehow automatically blocked (by IP address recognition?), or if not, how is this going to be enforced? It would be quite easy for a high ranked player to stake a low ranked player to the tournament to get better games and simply never announce that they are covering turns for the low ranked player.
Sergeant 1st Class denominator

Postby samuelc812 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:13 pm

I never said it had anything to do with the risk classic, I was merely comparing value for money between tournaments. When you go to the risk classic you don't pay the tournament fee to sight see, or exchange opinions, it is to play games.

~Sam
Captain samuelc812

Postby DiM on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:24 pm

samuelc812 wrote:I never said it had anything to do with the risk classic, I was merely comparing value for money between tournaments. When you go to the risk classic you don't pay the tournament fee to sight see, or exchange opinions, it is to play games.

~Sam

well you talked about travelling and hotels which have nothing to do with the actual tourney. that means you can take into account all other factors that come into this trip.
if i plan such a trip and intend to pay 50 bucks for the entry fee, X for gas and Y for a room and food then when i calculate the value for money i don't resume just to the games i'll be playing. i think about the whole weekend and how i'm going to have fun.

also when it comes to value for money for tournaments i can simply go to the tournament subforum and get the BEST value for money.
i have much more options, i can have control over the ranks of the people i play against, i can even have control over the map and the game settings in some cases. and if i'm lucky i can even get into a tourney with premium prizes where i can actually get something for free just by entering and winning.

so if we're talking about value for money the conquer cup is the WORST tourney ever hosted on this site. ALL other tourneys hosted for FREE by VOLUNTEERS offer much more. ;)
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Gift Box? on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:26 pm

Can't believe you want an entry fee...rediculous.
Corporal Gift Box?

Postby HighlanderAttack on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:54 pm

Most tourneys I have ever been a part of where you pay they usually have at least 110% pay out. If it is about making money it should be at least 75%.

If it was 1v1 I might consider it until I think about the percentage of payout--wow--really.

With the surveys the pay out percentage does work itself down but really --if you want to run tourneys for money/prizes--have some fair pay outs
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

Postby karelpietertje on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:04 pm

Pfft, I thought I needed 2 won games for a 50$ card, and found it weird uou were making money on it at all!
And now suddenly the rules get changed and you need 3 won games. Give people a chance to unsubscribe!

@prize forfeit as you climb up the tree, doesn't the winner get 3 medals?
Major karelpietertje

Postby HighlanderAttack on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:19 pm

the largest global domination game event in the world!

I am curious to what makes this the largest global domination game?
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

Postby gannable on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:24 pm

not signing up with an entry fee

maybe id pay $2 if you can guarantee i get fair dice for once
Lieutenant gannable

Postby dyrtydog on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:28 pm

I am not submitting any credit card information until I learn the previous fraud was resolved, plus 2 open issues.

If Pay Pal is an option, fine. At least I know I am secure...
Lieutenant dyrtydog

Postby patrickaa317 on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:55 pm

Sounds like everyone doesn't like the money factor. Perhaps the site should cost $30 and everyone gets one free entry to a Conquer Cup upon purchasing premium.

Not sure why everyone is complaining about it, if you don't want to pay the money, you don't have to. If this is a way for Lack to make a few bucks, let him. Chances are profits that are made on the site will be put back into the site.
taking a break from cc, will be back sometime in the future.
Sergeant patrickaa317

Postby Metsfanmax on Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:56 pm

dyrtydog wrote:I am not submitting any credit card information until I learn the previous fraud was resolved, plus 2 open issues.

If Pay Pal is an option, fine. At least I know I am secure...

I was able to successfully sign up for the tournament using PayPal, so you should be able to as well.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby comic boy on Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:16 pm

I dont mind the $5 entry fee , wouldn't even mind the laughable prize distribution, if winning this cup had any prestige, but it doesn't because Lack is thinking only of the cash making the whole thing a lottery .
The only thing that keeps me here is the thought that there is some element of skill involved in winning games , but this farce deliberately dumbs down the skill factor purely in order to widen the scope of profit .
Well its backfired with me because you will get no entry fee and , if this is the future vision , no further premium either :(
Im a TOFU miSfit
Brigadier comic boy

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives