Conquer Club

Tournament Contest - Create a Fantasy / Sci-Fi Tournament

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Tournament Contest - Create a Fantasy / Sci-Fi Tournamen

Postby mr. CD on Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:41 pm

Love your tweaks lostlatlimbo. Looking forward to the tournament! [/objectivity]
Lieutenant mr. CD

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:41 pm

PREMIUM ONLY

QUICK PLAY RULES:

You need to post:
1Your home map (you can pick a different one for 8, 5 and 3 player games)
2A home shard
  1. Bant: Flat Rate, Sunny, Unlimited
  2. Esper: Flat Rate, Sunny, Chained
  3. Grixis: No Spoils, Foggy, Chained
  4. Jund: Nuclear, Foggy, Adjacent
  5. Naya: Escalating, Sunny, Adjacent
3 A Home Nation (not absolutely necessary, just for flavor)
4 Settings for phase 2 and 3, read below for more information

All games are sequential, automatic and have a round limit of 50 Turns.

Now, for the meatier stuff:

show: Welcome to Alara

show: Rules

show: Players and Maps
Last edited by DoomYoshi on Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Fuzzy316 on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:28 pm

So... what kind of results were there here? It's been a few days now since the deadline passed.
The Fuzzy One

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant Fuzzy316

Postby Teflon Kris on Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Marking is underway - results should be out by the end of the weekend

;)
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby betiko on Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:03 pm

basically we are finally 6 contestants and top 3 are rewarded right?... 8-[
Major betiko

Postby Fuzzy316 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:40 pm

I think they were hoping for a larger tournout for the entry. It could be people just didn't feel up to it, or it could be some people don't think they have the storytelling skills/capabilities, from what I can tell anyways
The Fuzzy One

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant Fuzzy316

Postby Teflon Kris on Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:04 am

Fuzzy316 wrote:I think they were hoping for a larger tournout for the entry. It could be people just didn't feel up to it, or it could be some people don't think they have the storytelling skills/capabilities, from what I can tell anyways

Indeed, we were hoping for more entries.

However, most of those that have entered have put a great deal of effort into their ideas. It would be great to see them all running as active tournaments so the creativity doesn't go to waste/

:D

Postby denominator on Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:20 am

DJ Teflon wrote:However, most of those that have entered have put a great deal of effort into their ideas. It would be great to see them all running as active tournaments so the creativity doesn't go to waste/

That's actually the part that made me pass it up. I've never run a tournament before, so I didn't want to jump into the pool with some elaborate format that was over my head.

Given the level of the first couple that were posted, I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't win with a small, simple tournament, so there came to be no point in entering - I can still run my small tournament on my own if and when I choose.

If there had been a requirement that all tournaments be run, then the winner be selected, I probably would have taken the plunge and run a small one for this.
Sergeant 1st Class denominator

Postby Fuzzy316 on Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:10 am

DJ Teflon wrote:
Fuzzy316 wrote:I think they were hoping for a larger tournout for the entry. It could be people just didn't feel up to it, or it could be some people don't think they have the storytelling skills/capabilities, from what I can tell anyways

However, most of those that have entered have put a great deal of effort into their ideas. It would be great to see them all running as active tournaments so the creativity doesn't go to waste/

Was just waiting on the final outcome before posting to the sign ups page.
The Fuzzy One

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant Fuzzy316

Postby betiko on Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:11 am

DJ Teflon wrote:

I think a few of us have already put them as active tournaments.. once it was done no point in just letting it sit there I believe..
Major betiko

Postby Teflon Kris on Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:26 pm

One of the judges is perhaps playing the legal judge role and considering his scoring very carefully, perhaps with several tea breaks, meetings in chambers, working from home, long lunches, early finishes, fridays off, flexible working hours, .... .....

Postby Fuzzy316 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:30 am

DJ Teflon wrote:One of the judges is perhaps playing the legal judge role and considering his scoring very carefully, perhaps with several tea breaks, meetings in chambers, working from home, long lunches, early finishes, fridays off, flexible working hours, .... .....

you forgot biscuits to go with the tea!! :mrgreen:
The Fuzzy One

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant Fuzzy316

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:53 am

denominator wrote:
DJ Teflon wrote:However, most of those that have entered have put a great deal of effort into their ideas. It would be great to see them all running as active tournaments so the creativity doesn't go to waste/

That's actually the part that made me pass it up. I've never run a tournament before, so I didn't want to jump into the pool with some elaborate format that was over my head.

Given the level of the first couple that were posted, I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't win with a small, simple tournament, so there came to be no point in entering - I can still run my small tournament on my own if and when I choose.

If there had been a requirement that all tournaments be run, then the winner be selected, I probably would have taken the plunge and run a small one for this.

I think you should go for it. (Meaning making the small one, not joining a contest just yet.)

Making great tournaments is a craft that requires lots of practise, and even after doing it for a year, I'm still making mistakes. For instance, in one tournament that I just launched (and which I spent months planning, I just realized that although Phase One will probabably go really fast and be done in two or three weeks, Phase Two will probably last for three or four months, maybe even five, and by the time we reach Phase Three a lot of people who got won early in Phase Two will have forgotten about it. This kind of stupidity makes me want to beat myself in the head, but it's just the kind of thing that happens when you get too obsessed with the creative aspects and forget about the practical aspects.

So definitely, if you want to be involved in making good creative tourneys eventually, get started now, making some basic simple uncreative ones. You will definitely benefit from the experience when it comes time to make fancier stuff later.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby betiko on Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:32 am

Dukasaur wrote:
denominator wrote:

I think you should go for it. (Meaning making the small one, not joining a contest just yet.)

Making great tournaments is a craft that requires lots of practise, and even after doing it for a year, I'm still making mistakes. For instance, in one tournament that I just launched (and which I spent months planning, I just realized that although Phase One will probabably go really fast and be done in two or three weeks, Phase Two will probably last for three or four months, maybe even five, and by the time we reach Phase Three a lot of people who got won early in Phase Two will have forgotten about it. This kind of stupidity makes me want to beat myself in the head, but it's just the kind of thing that happens when you get too obsessed with the creative aspects and forget about the practical aspects.

So definitely, if you want to be involved in making good creative tourneys eventually, get started now, making some basic simple uncreative ones. You will definitely benefit from the experience when it comes time to make fancier stuff later.

yeah I don't know, I don't like tournaments that take several monthes, I tried to make one rather short. I do get bored with too long ones, and just wish they could finish fast.

Hey I was wondering, as my tourney is taking longer that I expected to fill in and I see that people are afraid by the number of participants (128) would it be ok if I reduce it to 64 and just give a double chance to participants on round 1?
I'm used to create smaller tourneys and they fill in very fast, also I've noticed people are afraid when they see 128 participants..
Major betiko

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:40 am

betiko wrote:Hey I was wondering, as my tourney is taking longer that I expected to fill in and I see that people are afraid by the number of participants (128) would it be ok if I reduce it to 64 and just give a double chance to participants on round 1?
I'm used to create smaller tourneys and they fill in very fast, also I've noticed people are afraid when they see 128 participants..

Please don't make ANY changes until the seventh judge has had a chance to vote.
With a bit of luck that will be within the next day or two. After that, yes, trimming some of these tournaments down to a more manageable size might be an option. (Even after that, I would send a PM to DJ Teflon before making changes, because if the tournament is drastically different from what was posted I would want to make sure that your medal is not in jeopardy. But it will probably be okay.)
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby betiko on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:36 am

Dukasaur wrote:
betiko wrote:Hey I was wondering, as my tourney is taking longer that I expected to fill in and I see that people are afraid by the number of participants (128) would it be ok if I reduce it to 64 and just give a double chance to participants on round 1?

Please don't make ANY changes until the seventh judge has had a chance to vote.
With a bit of luck that will be within the next day or two. After that, yes, trimming some of these tournaments down to a more manageable size might be an option. (Even after that, I would send a PM to DJ Teflon before making changes, because if the tournament is drastically different from what was posted I would want to make sure that your medal is not in jeopardy. But it will probably be okay.)

thanks. well basically on my round 1, 1 out of 4 players go to round 2; I would just want to make it 1 out of 2 players to advance, so the number of entries would go from 128 to 64. I would need to do just some minor adjustments on round 1; all the other rounds would remain the same.
It really seems like the best solution because in 10 days I have 20 entries and people have told me that 128 seems like too much participants and are afraid it could be a long/difficult tourney.
Sorry but it's the kind of things you figure out only when your project goes "on the market". It doesn't change the storyline or anything, I just want to be certain it will be running (if the tourney is not filled up within a month it's abandonned right?)

thanks, will wait for djteflon's feedback ;)
Major betiko

Postby Teflon Kris on Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:20 pm

betiko wrote:thanks. well basically on my round 1, 1 out of 4 players go to round 2; I would just want to make it 1 out of 2 players to advance, so the number of entries would go from 128 to 64. I would need to do just some minor adjustments on round 1; all the other rounds would remain the same.
It really seems like the best solution because in 10 days I have 20 entries and people have told me that 128 seems like too much participants and are afraid it could be a long/difficult tourney.
Sorry but it's the kind of things you figure out only when your project goes "on the market". It doesn't change the storyline or anything, I just want to be certain it will be running (if the tourney is not filled up within a month it's abandonned right?)

This kind of minor practical adjustment would be fine.

Postby betiko on Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:50 am

DJ Teflon wrote:
betiko wrote:thanks. well basically on my round 1, 1 out of 4 players go to round 2; I would just want to make it 1 out of 2 players to advance, so the number of entries would go from 128 to 64. I would need to do just some minor adjustments on round 1; all the other rounds would remain the same.

This kind of minor practical adjustment would be fine.

Ok thanks DJ, the modification has been made; it's now a 64 players tourney, and not a 128 players anymore; all remains the same except that you have now 50% of entries that go to round 2 instead of 25%.
thanks for your understanding!
(the link to the tournament is still in my signature)
Major betiko

Postby Fuzzy316 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:25 pm

Has this been decided as to who the actual winnners were yet?
The Fuzzy One

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant Fuzzy316

Postby lostatlimbo on Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:52 pm

I'm curious as well.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby chapcrap on Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:17 am

Fuzzy316 wrote:Has this been decided as to who the actual winnners were yet?

There is voting going on currently. Votes will be tallied soon and a winner announced as soon as it is possible. I wasn't one of the judges or voters, but there were some good things in there. I would say Fuzzy's was my favorite.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:36 am

I don't want to say too much, but basically one of the judges seems to be stuck somewhere with no Internet access for the holidays, and we are just going to have to wait for him to resurface.

The votes are extremely close: some good efforts there.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Fuzzy316 on Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:15 am

Dukasaur wrote:I don't want to say too much, but basically one of the judges seems to be stuck somewhere with no Internet access for the holidays, and we are just going to have to wait for him to resurface.

The votes are extremely close: some good efforts there.

Well, thanks for the update Duka. thought that the one they were waiting on was supposed to have been back, but is cool that we know now.

chapcrap wrote:
Fuzzy316 wrote:Has this been decided as to who the actual winnners were yet?

There is voting going on currently. Votes will be tallied soon and a winner announced as soon as it is possible. I wasn't one of the judges or voters, but there were some good things in there. I would say Fuzzy's was my favorite.

Thanks Chap, nice to hear.
The Fuzzy One

Click image to enlarge.
Lieutenant Fuzzy316

Postby Teflon Kris on Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:56 pm

Apologies to all for the delay.

The judges tallied scoring is as follows:

fairman - 73.5
SirSebstar - 14.5
Fuzzy316 - 100.5
eagleblade - 88.5
lostatlimbo - 102.5
betiko - 92.5
DoomYoshi - 97.5

Therefore, General Achievement Medals will be awarded to the following Tournament Organisers on completion of their tournaments:

Fuzzy316
    lostatlimbo
    DoomYoshi

Postby chapcrap on Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:27 pm

DJ Teflon wrote:Apologies to all for the delay.

The judges tallied scoring is as follows:

fairman - 73.5
SirSebstar - 14.5
Fuzzy316 - 100.5
eagleblade - 88.5
lostatlimbo - 102.5
betiko - 92.5
DoomYoshi - 97.5

Therefore, General Achievement Medals will be awarded to the following Tournament Organisers on completion of their tournaments:

Fuzzy316
    lostatlimbo
    DoomYoshi

Congrats guys!! =D> =D>

And my favorite finished second!
Lieutenant chapcrap

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives