Conquer Club

Speed Game REVAMP

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Speed Game REVAMP

Postby lackattack on Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:16 pm

Speed Games have added a popular real-time element to Conquer Club since they became a feature in 2007. However, Speed Games haven't always lived up to their name. They can sometimes drag on for hours where you spend more time waiting than playing. This REVAMP is designed to address the main sources of slowness and make our Speed Games true speedy rushes of adrenaline. If you don't play Speed Games, please give them another chance, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Variable Speed Round Lengths

A very popular request, originally suggested by herndawg is to simply offer faster options for speed games. I must agree that 5 minutes is not exactly speedy, especially for sequential games with many players. Well I have good news... you can now play 5 minute, 4 minute, 3 minute 2 minute or even 1 minute speed games! I imagine the 1 minute games could be quite hectic on complex maps and would change the game from a strategic challenge to a quick-thinking dexterity contest. I must try that out on Supermax: Prison Riot! :twisted:

Based on feedback from the community, The extra time for eliminating an opponent is half of the round length. In other words it is still 2.5 mintes for a 5 minute speed game, but only 30 seconds for a 1 minute speed game!

The time remaining will now turn flashing red for the last 30 seconds of a Speed Game.

Speed Turn Alerts

Sometimes you have to wait a while for another player to take their turn in a Speed Game, so you start browsing the news in another tab. Next thing you know, you missed your turn! Other times your opponent makes this faux pas and you end up waiting for nothing! This waiting and forgetting business can even become a vicious cycle that kills the fun and excitement of a speed game. What's the solution?

The game will now detect that it is not "in focus" and grab your attention when it becomes your turn using any of the following methods (note that not all methods are supported by all browsers):

* Bring the window/tab into focus
* Change the title of the window/tab
* Play a sound
* Trigger a popup alert

This last one, the popup alert, could be quite annoying for those hardcore speeders who juggle several speed games at once, so we added a notification option under the Game Settings page to disable it.

Speed Game Ready Alerts

You started or joined a Speed Game, but it's not full... so now what? You would have to keep clicking refresh to see if it's time to play, or risk losing valuable turn time or even worse... forget about your game altogether :( . What's the solution?

If you have one or more Speed Games awaiting players, the Awaiting Players tab now opens an auto-refresh thingy that uses magic AJAX technology to check on your games for you. Once your game is full (provided you kept the Awaiting Players tab open) it will grab your attention using the methods described above. Now you can visit live chat or catch up with our forum while your game fills up, without worrying about missing anything!

Free Speed Games!

Of course, Speed Games are a feature restricted to Premium Members. These members who support our club financially deserve very much to be rewarded with improved Speed Games. But it wouldn't be in the holiday spirit to leave out free members entirely. Therefore I have granted 3 free Speed Game entries to every active member of Conquer Club. Using these free entries is as easy as joining a Speed Game. These free entries will expire by the end of January, so why wait? Enjoy a Speed Game today!

Don't forget we have also started Conquer Club's official Winter Holidays 2011 celebration, which will include unlimited Speed Games on the Christmas map during the designated period of time! :D
Sergeant lackattack

Re: Speed Game REVAMP

Postby TeeGee on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:41 pm

I think you may have just given a lot of speed gamers a huge christmas present.

Thanks Lack :D

PS.. To everyone who is about to say BOB is broke, that is something that is very likely to happen whenever there is a site update, but i am sure the Tech team will be on the job to fix this ASAP.
Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby Herbas on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:45 pm

Great update!
All those extra addons beside shorter round times seem to be very nice!
Colonel Herbas

Postby Culs De Sac on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:46 pm

I just made a game.. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. hell to the yeah.. who needs 5 min.. with clickies.. at most 1 min tops to take turn.. 1 min to analyze.. boo yah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Major Culs De Sac

Postby 2007spaceodyssey on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:53 pm

Great!
Major 2007spaceodyssey

Postby Dako on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:54 pm

That was fast. Well done :).
Colonel Dako

Postby QoH on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:58 pm

Awesome, thanks lack!
Please don't invite me to any pickup games. I will decline the invite.
Major QoH

Postby lostatlimbo on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:59 pm

How about a 36 or 48 hour time limit option? I have plenty of friends who would play this game more often if there were more casual options. It is difficult for some people to get online every single day.
Sergeant 1st Class lostatlimbo

Postby Dako on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:01 pm

Agree, 36/48 would be great as an option as well.
Colonel Dako

Postby QoH on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:04 pm

QoH wrote:Awesome, thanks lack!

Actually, I hate you. You made me start a 1 min game to play, and then you go and give me bad dice! 11 can't kill 3 singles!!

:lol:
Please don't invite me to any pickup games. I will decline the invite.
Major QoH

Postby Teflon Kris on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:07 pm

lostatlimbo wrote:How about a 36 or 48 hour time limit option? I have plenty of friends who would play this game more often if there were more casual options. It is difficult for some people to get online every single day.

Anti/Dis/Non Agreed - How about the total opposite - a 12 hour option :D :D :D

If, by some strange quirk of fate, the 36/487 hour option comes in for 200-year-old fogies with tortoise DNA, then they should definitiely not get deferred troops for a missed-turn and get kicked for one miss :!:

Imagine the eternal jail-sentence-like pain of waiting for these sloaths.

I suggest they find a zimmer-frame-wars site to play on. ;)
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby gameplayer on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:17 pm

one of the better updates this site has had in a while, especially the little ajax window that saves me from forgetting i started a game and deadbeating. well done =D>
Colonel gameplayer

Postby danhulbert on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:22 pm

lostatlimbo wrote:How about a 36 or 48 hour time limit option? I have plenty of friends who would play this game more often if there were more casual options. It is difficult for some people to get online every single day.

Completely agree . . . this is the elephant in the room and the customers they continue to ignore.
Major danhulbert

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:22 pm

THIS IS AWESOME
Offsite to 12/31/2023. Reach out to TheSpaceCowboy to reach me
Major Swimmerdude99

Postby danhulbert on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:25 pm

DJ Teflon wrote:

Anti/Dis/Non Agreed - How about the total opposite - a 12 hour option :D :D :D

If, by some strange quirk of fate, the 36/487 hour option comes in for 200-year-old fogies with tortoise DNA, then they should definitiely not get deferred troops for a missed-turn and get kicked for one miss :!:

Imagine the eternal jail-sentence-like pain of waiting for these sloaths.

I suggest they find a zimmer-frame-wars site to play on. ;)

Everyone would not be forced to use this option . . . only the ones who are not in a hurry.
Major danhulbert

Postby Culs De Sac on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:40 pm

Hurry.. its 24 hours.. if you can't make it online everyday.. then don't make more that 4 games and go freemium.. that should make it easier for yall to take that 1 turn you can't make
Major Culs De Sac

Postby danfrank on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:41 pm

awesome update.... is this the benefit of cc cup ? if so when does II start ;)
Corporal 1st Class danfrank

Postby douitashimashite on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:42 pm

Love it

also agree should have option for 12h, 24h and 36h (48h is too much in 8 player games you may end up taking your turn every 2 weeks)
Click image to enlarge.
Captain douitashimashite

Postby phantomzero on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:51 pm

thanks for the update! Just played my first and last game at 1 minute on Classic. Just not enough time. Will be interesting for the freestyle dudes to crush some people with their quick movements even in sequential games.

Game 10308928

The good news was that it only took 9 minutes to complete the game. I'll try 2 minute rounds next.
Sergeant 1st Class phantomzero

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:57 pm

danfrank wrote:awesome update.... is this the benefit of cc cup ? if so when does II start ;)

The settings for Conquer Cup II will be posted on 2012-02-01...check out the Conquer Cup page! You can pre-register now, or wait until the settings have been announced and register then!

In regards to other time length options, I'm sure we'll look back into. Shorter Games has been one of the most wanted features for a long time, so it is about darn time we've gotten it I think! But Longer Games generally haven't had as much as a push. But if it seems like it would be a beneficial feature, we'll look into it!

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby zimmah on Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:01 pm

lackattack wrote:
Variable Speed Round Lengths

A very popular request, originally suggested by herndawg is to simply offer faster options for speed games. I must agree that 5 minutes is not exactly speedy, especially for sequential games with many players. Well I have good news... you can now play 5 minute, 4 minute, 3 minute 2 minute or even 1 minute speed games! I imagine the 1 minute games could be quite hectic on complex maps and would change the game from a strategic challenge to a quick-thinking dexterity contest. I must try that out on Supermax: Prison Riot! :twisted:

a lot of nice updates there, thanks

and 1 minute speed games are like speed chess i think, nice
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby ben79 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:08 pm

i missed a lot of turns because it's not sending me anymore pm in my inbox to tell me the game started can it be fied thanks in advance
Lieutenant ben79

Postby sheapaul on Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:47 pm

LOVE these new short times! great update.

I Don't miss the reminder PMs. not sure if that was on purpose or not, but glad they are not filling up my inbox
Card Spots are for P*ssies
Sergeant 1st Class sheapaul

Postby sdh on Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:16 pm

Thanks!
Colonel sdh

Postby ws1 on Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:17 pm

whoopie, im excited, been waiting for this my whole life.
Sergeant 1st Class ws1

Location: Chicago, New York, Detroit and its all on the same street

Next

Return to Announcement Archives