[22-May-2006] Grievances and RSS

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators, Media Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Grievances and an RSS feed

Postby lackattack on Mon May 22, 2006 12:13 am

Goodbye Ignore List, hello Grievances!

Rule #2 (no secret alliances) isn't easy to enforce as too often there is suspicion but the evidence is not clear. I wanted a democratic solution that will do something useful in grey situations. That solution is called Grievances, inspired by eBay Feedback and valuable input from the Conquer Club community. Grievances are not limited to secret alliances, and hopefully they will encourage fair play of all sorts and not be abused.

The IgnoreList is gone. Grievances have the same ignore effect and only let you ignore people with cause and if you've played against them, which I think is good.

The other major improvement that just went live is the personalized RSS feed. This technology is really simple to use and will make it easier for people to keep track of their turns without having to visit the website. You can even read your feed from a portable device!

I'd also like to thank kevinc for contributing a forum stylesheet that is colour-coordinated with the rest of the website and congratulate AndyDufresne, the new Foundry Foreman.
Private 1st Class lackattack
Retired Administrator

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

grievances = 1st post

Postby zarvinny on Mon May 22, 2006 12:49 am

cool
Lieutenant zarvinny

Re: Grievances and RSS

Postby Jota on Mon May 22, 2006 12:58 am

lackattack wrote:Grievances [...] only let you ignore people with cause and if you've played against them, which I think is good.

Hmm. The only people on my Ignore list were ones who had posted abusive or trolling messages on the forum. I don't think I had actually played against any of them. Does this mean I was misusing the feature?
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Map Contribution (6) General Contribution (2)

Missed turns

Postby beelzebub on Mon May 22, 2006 1:02 am

I've been trying to play games that are more real-time by using the Freestyle option.

But inevitably, somebody signs up to the game who then misses one or more turns. So instead of a fast-paced game, it's a game that drags on for days and days as we have to keep waiting 24 hours to continue.

I was going to start putting these people on my ignore list. It's not exactly a grievance -- they're not plotting evilly, and, who knows, maybe they're visiting ill relatives -- but I don't want to play with them any more.

What do people think? Are multiple missed turns with no explanation worth a grievance?
Sergeant 1st Class beelzebub

Postby GreenfireStorm on Mon May 22, 2006 1:05 am

I like the idea and conept of the new updates. I can't wait to get the RSS rolling, and the clickable names are a bonus.
30 second update
You are a king among men. The RSS feed is implemented better than I could've imagined. My hat off to you.

I do have to say Lack, you've been doing a steller job of improving and maintaining CC, and I have never regreted paying for it.

The only nitpick I'd add would be to not show the # of greivences if it is 0, not sure how hard it would be to implement.
Corporal 1st Class GreenfireStorm

Postby Marvaddin on Mon May 22, 2006 1:16 am

I really would like much more have the ignore list back. Now, I need to play against any type of players, or have a really good and public reason to do it, instead of use my own decisions. Some guys we could add to list because of lost turns (as Belzbub said), others due to excessive trash talking, or even low score (yeah, all those 30 or sort of guys with less than 700 points were in my list, because I would really dislike the idea of bet 60+ points for maybe gain 6 or 7 points). Now, cant choose who I will play with... I NEED accept all... argh!!

I love the site, but this time I really disagree you, lack. I believe that would be good if you could block all people you dislike. I agree with a reference system, but not with the part you need play against notorious bad players to can avoid them. So, a player has a grievance against, but I cant block him, and I will not stay here to see if one of these guys will join my game... what the real value of this system? I would not send money if it was in e-bay, but and here?

Please, pleeeeeeease... give us ignore list back.
Major Marvaddin

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Map Contribution (3)

Postby terrafutan on Mon May 22, 2006 1:57 am

I would also like my ignore list back. There are plenty of people who I don't want to play, now I have to play them all again to get them on my list.

Couldn't you just have imported our ignore lists into the greivance list.
Sergeant 1st Class terrafutan

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby Hoff on Mon May 22, 2006 1:57 am

I dont really understand the RSS Feed thing. What does it do and can someone give some specific instructions on how to get it to work? I'm clueless.
Sergeant Hoff

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1)

Postby johnnyrotten on Mon May 22, 2006 2:15 am

Could the direct link to a person's profile be removed from the My Games page? It seemed easier to read when they weren't blue...
Sergeant johnnyrotten

Medals: 8
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby General Mayhem on Mon May 22, 2006 2:28 am

Yep I agree. I want the link though. Those Bright blue underlined names are horrible in gameplay and on gamelist!

PLEASE get rid of the blue underlined names!
"There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is ENGLAND."
Major General Mayhem

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby Hoff on Mon May 22, 2006 2:32 am

you can change your internet options so the color of links look differently
Sergeant Hoff

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Map Contribution (1)

Postby General Mayhem on Mon May 22, 2006 3:04 am

not in Mac Firefox you cant. and it doesnt do that for other sites pages anyway. it should be changed at source.
"There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is ENGLAND."
Major General Mayhem

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby Hoff on Mon May 22, 2006 3:13 am

http://www.conquerclub.com still shows that message that CC is under maintence. Does that happen for anyone else? but conquerclub.com/forum works fine and i can get to the rest of the site through that way. Is there a reason for this? Anyone else notice that too?
Sergeant Hoff

Postby eye84free on Mon May 22, 2006 3:16 am

Hoff wrote:www.conquerclub.com still shows that message that CC is under maintence. Does that happen for anyone else? but conquerclub.com/forum works fine and i can get to the rest of the site through that way. Is there a reason for this? Anyone else notice that too?

i dont see it...it was that way for me earl. but its all good now..
Major eye84free

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Manual Troops Achievement (3)
Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)
General Contribution (4)

Postby qeee1 on Mon May 22, 2006 4:00 am

I didn't have anyone on my ignore list... so not that much of a loss to me. Will be interested to see how the new system works, but seems kinda pointless to know if someone has poor sportsmanship from grievances and then not be able to ignore them.
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Next

Return to Announcement Archives