Conquer Club

[22-May-2006] Grievances and RSS

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby kevinc on Mon May 22, 2006 8:14 am

RSS thing is genius! Saves me having to keep hitting refresh all the time - excellent! :o)
Corporal kevinc

Postby HighBorn on Mon May 22, 2006 8:33 am

Hoff wrote:www.conquerclub.com still shows that message that CC is under maintence. Does that happen for anyone else? but conquerclub.com/forum works fine and i can get to the rest of the site through that way. Is there a reason for this? Anyone else notice that too?

did it to me too...
Private 1st Class HighBorn

Postby wicked on Mon May 22, 2006 9:29 am

OK I've had some caffeine now...
Let me get this right ... so now I'll have to go play against these losers I don't want to, just to put in a grievance against them if I haven't played them in the last month? While I agree you should've played against someone to have a grievance against them, the 30-day time limit is flawed IMO. I'm not going to re-play against people formerly on my ignore list (if I can remember them all :roll:), so therefore I can't grieve, meaning they can join a game I'm in.

Let's do away with the 30-day limit please AND/OR bring back the ignore list!! Pretty please? :)
Major wicked

Postby Darkfire001 on Mon May 22, 2006 9:54 am

I like the new update, HOWEVER the links look ugh!
Lieutenant Darkfire001

Postby hotgun on Mon May 22, 2006 10:11 am

this is the worst update yet... I lose my list... the rss is not working... aka refreshing... right now it says I can play games I click on them and i can't... it's been 30 mins and it still says I can play in that game along with different games... I was finding games very good with the bold... and now.... this just stinks
Corporal 1st Class hotgun

Postby Derwiddle on Mon May 22, 2006 10:25 am

Erm... Question:

Does the RSS still work even if you're not logged into CC?
Opportune-Moment
op·por·tune mo·ment
n.
A point in time well suited for doing something incredibly stupid.
Private 1st Class Derwiddle

Postby Haydena on Mon May 22, 2006 10:44 am

For the links... How about a less subtle green colour to match the colour scheme of the page... Much like the colour on the forums
Sergeant 1st Class Haydena

Postby lackattack on Mon May 22, 2006 10:50 am

Boy, there are a lot of grumpy conkies out there today :o

I think we need to give grievances some time to see if it can replace the Ignore List. I like the simplicity of one list and I didn't like the fact that anyone could block anyone for any reason. But I haven't deleted the lists from the database and I'm willing to run a poll in 3 weeks to see if people want to split the Ignore List from Grievances. How does that sound?

And to answer some other questions:
* If you still see "down for maintenance" just hit refresh
* You don't need to be logged in to get your feed
* I'll see what I can do about the blue underlines being annoying
Sergeant lackattack

Postby wicked on Mon May 22, 2006 10:53 am

lackattack wrote: I'm willing to run a poll in 3 weeks to see if people want to split the Ignore List from Grievances. How does that sound?

Thanks Lack. I'd be willing to forego the ignore list if there wasn't a time limit on the grievances.
Major wicked

Postby Haydena on Mon May 22, 2006 10:57 am

At least with the grievances the nuisances can see who they can't play with... Just one problem... If someone leaves a grievance on someone, that person can also leave one on the other person, making it seem as though the person who first left the grievance has done something wrong, will these grievances be checked to make sure no false accusations are made, and that we don't get left a load of them?

Also, is people deatbeating a reason to give a person a grievance... I've a few I want to do...
Sergeant 1st Class Haydena

Postby kingwaffles on Mon May 22, 2006 10:58 am

Personally I don't think the loss of the ignore list is so bad. I never felt the need to use it agaist forum trolls and such and they never seemed to join my games. Maybe I'm just super cool, but it never seemed a huge issue for me.
Corporal 1st Class kingwaffles

Postby thommo on Mon May 22, 2006 11:02 am

I can't get the rss feed working. I have a working reader, but am struggling with the exact rss url required
Corporal 1st Class thommo

Postby zorba_ca on Mon May 22, 2006 12:56 pm

Lackattack wrote:
I didn't like the fact that anyone could block anyone for any reason.

Why?

This was for the best. You had no headaches and the only people affected were those who were ignored (and why would someone want to play where they're not wanted?)

Players used to be able to keep matters private. Now confrontations have to be aired publicly creating the inevitable slippery slope of retaliation and cross-denigration.

Also, more monitoring is necessary, greater adjudication required and the penalties (e.g. public humiliation) are steeper.

An e-bay style rating system might be good (although abuse is both possible and probable), but I can't imagine why you would want to commit your time and resources and those of the community to playing kindergarten cop.
Major zorba_ca

Postby Derwiddle on Mon May 22, 2006 1:34 pm

lackattack wrote:* You don't need to be logged in to get your feed
* I'll see what I can do about the blue underlines being annoying

Ok, good. Thanks a ton Lack! Huge improvement - much obliged. :)
Opportune-Moment
op·por·tune mo·ment
n.
A point in time well suited for doing something incredibly stupid.
Private 1st Class Derwiddle

Postby niMic on Mon May 22, 2006 2:07 pm

thommo wrote:I can't get the rss feed working. I have a working reader, but am struggling with the exact rss url required

Yeah, I've got the same problem. Got a reader called BlogBridge, but can't figure out which url to use, or whatnot.
General niMic

Postby mrdexter on Mon May 22, 2006 2:56 pm

If you have an import feed function then all you need to do is click on the link on the My Games page:

Then click on import, in this example I am using BottomFeeder:

Et Voila, one rss feed.
Positive: Great guy, will always play to his best. Honourable and fun to play with as well. You know you're in for a rough time playing mrdexter :) Game 31384 Haydena
Positive: Mr D is the golden child of CC, if we had to elect a king he'd get my vote! Game 76700 silus
Sergeant 1st Class mrdexter

Postby Lohner on Mon May 22, 2006 4:29 pm

I think it would be fair if they grievences allowed for a rebuttle. I don't think it's fair that someone can be blacklisted just because someone got beat by them and wanted to get back at them. Just an idea....
Lieutenant Lohner

Postby wacicha on Mon May 22, 2006 4:39 pm

who said you would be backlisted just recently a player started flaming everybody on the forum but i got it a few times all sorts of nasty comments but most players here know how i play and most people ignored the comments except patroclus who been trying to get me on his ignore list for sometime anyways. most here will take each comment with a grain of salt (really old saying) so don't worry untill it becomes a problem then when it is a problem lack will address it like he has done w/ every issue this is something that most of the players have asked for.
Major wacicha

Postby qeee1 on Mon May 22, 2006 4:40 pm

... nevermind. Am I imagining things?
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Greivance Offense List

Postby Cofari on Mon May 22, 2006 4:44 pm

It might not be a bad idea for the community to begin working on a list of offenses and activities that the community can agree constitute suspicious behavior and may earn a person a grievance. This will benefit new players in that they will know what is and isn't approved of by the community. It should also help to stem cheaters because all players will know what to look for in terms of suspicious behavior.

As an example. Is privately e-mailing your team mates in a doubles or triples game to discuss strategy and tactics considered an offense? I would say no, and allow it as part of the game. I can also, however, see the other side that it is an unfair advantage, especially if two people play on the same team alot.

I'd also like to put an idea out to the group and see what others think of it.

Grievances that are not specific to a particular game and/or to a specific action(s) would be ignored by the community.
Major Cofari

Postby lackattack on Mon May 22, 2006 5:22 pm

Lohner wrote:I think it would be fair if they grievences allowed for a rebuttle. I don't think it's fair that someone can be blacklisted just because someone got beat by them and wanted to get back at them. Just an idea....

You actually can write a rebuttle that displays with the grievances against you and people should use the Response rather than filing a counter-grievance.

UTGreen started a topic "What constitues a grievance?" - http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1687 and that would be a good place to come up with guidelines. Obviously, grievances are going to evolve as we get more experience with them.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby steel24 on Mon May 22, 2006 7:21 pm

3/2 Dugcarr will have the most grievances by the end of the year
Major steel24

Postby battletroop27 on Mon May 22, 2006 8:47 pm

so...those who haven't played against max_is_gr8 are unable to add him as a "grievance"
Cadet battletroop27

Postby Jota on Tue May 23, 2006 1:57 am

Will there be any way to cancel unjustified grievances? I'm thinking of cases where someone has been officially outed as a rule-breaker or where they're clearly abusing the grievance system (e.g. by posting demonstrably false grievances against people they don't like). It would be nice if there were a way for lack, Twill, or someone to flag problem users and prevent them from slandering the good names of folks who don't deserve it. (I know you can post a rebuttal, but that doesn't prevent the [2] or whatever from appearing next to your name.)
Sergeant 1st Class Jota

Postby niMic on Tue May 23, 2006 6:13 am

mrdexter wrote:If you have an import feed function then all you need to do is click on the link on the My Games page:

Then click on import, in this example I am using BottomFeeder:

Et Voila, one rss feed.

Mine doesn't let me do that :\

Am I missing something, or should I just get another RSS-reader?
General niMic

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives