[06-Feb-2006] Major gameplay changes

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators, Media Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[06-Feb-2006] Major gameplay changes

Postby lackattack on Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:06 am

Over the weekend I found some time for programming. Here are the results:

1. Auto-Kick happens after 3 missed turns.
This means three strikes and you're out of the game.

2. No more surrender button.
It was causing problems with people pushing it too early in the game or to stop players from getting cards.

3. No points for deadbeats.
Your score is intended to reflect your skill, and it does not take much skill to defeat players who don't play. A deadbeat is now defined as someone who does not play after round 1. This is a separate concept from auto-kick.
EDIT: In team games, deadbeats on the winning team do not get a share of points.

4. Readjustment of all scores.
All points awarded for defeating deadbeats were taken away and the game logs have been revised to account for this. I hate to mess around with historical data but this will make the scoreboard more fair.

5. Other improvements.
In the game you can now click on the game # to refresh the screen. Teams are now listed in the game. The Classic and Asia maps have been revised to make borders clearer. The number of countries has changed on the new Asia map, so you'll have to start a new game to try it out.
Last edited by lackattack on Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Private 1st Class lackattack
Retired Administrator

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (2)

nice changes, but..

Postby edsegio on Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:16 am

Could you add a Confirmation box so that when people (me) accidentally click the "end attack" button before having done anything, well, we have an out. Losing a turn due to mouse slippage isn't too fun.

Excellent.
Private edsegio

Medals: 1
Ratings Achievement (1)

Points adjustment

Postby Dragonslayer on Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:28 am

Wow man, that point adjustment really hurts. Did I really get that many points from deadbeats? Damn.
Private Dragonslayer

Postby Twill on Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:30 am

lol, yeh, I dropped 13 places.

Ah well, guess I really know how to pick my opponents, eh?

Thanks for the work Lack.
Corporal 1st Class Twill
Retired Administrator

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby mikey6rocker on Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:13 am

if they surrender right before you conquer their last country does that count as a dead beat and you dont get any of their points? because, well check out game 707, i understand the other 2 players were kicked off cause they missed their turns, but not freakshow (yellow) he just surrendered before i was about to beat him, yet it says hes a deadbeat and i got no points for that game.
Private mikey6rocker

Medals: 4
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Risk_06 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:48 am

Errr...lackattack got rid of the Surrender button. See Point 2? No more surrendering and being cheap. ;)
Currently on vacation. Sorry.

Proud xiGAMES member!
http://xigames.net/forum
Click it! NOW!
Corporal 1st Class Risk_06

Postby Axelius on Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:41 am

I'm playing in a Asia-game with the new map, but I can still only move to Burma from Malasyia...
Corporal 1st Class Axelius

Postby moz976 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:14 am

Nice I like all the new additions. I am so glad you got rid of the surrender button.

Great site lack you are the man
Private 1st Class moz976

Medals: 3
General Contribution (3)

Postby lackattack on Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:28 am

Axelius wrote:I'm playing in a Asia-game with the new map, but I can still only move to Burma from Malasyia...
Oops. I fixed it. Now you can only get to Malaysia from Thailand.
Retired Administrator

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)

Great changes

Postby avdoesberg on Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:28 am

Lackattack, Thanks for the changes! Glad you made deadbeats exit faster. They sure slow the game down. I know you have done an amazing amount of coding to get this to work as it does, but is there any chance you can program the option to choose a game with different time possibilities for the rounds: 1hr, 3hrs, 6hrs, 12hrs, 24hrs?

GREAT SITE. Recommended you on Stumbleupon.
Private avdoesberg

Postby lackattack on Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:40 am

I think 12hrs and 5-15 minutes makes sense, but anything in between wouldn't work.

Think about it - either you're playing real-time or not, and if you're not you want to be able to go to sleep without missing turns.

I don't want to be responsible for Conquer Club addicts burning out cuz they never sleep :roll:
Retired Administrator

Postby Twill on Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:48 am

LOL agree with you there Lack -

But....

The first turn of every game should be 24 hours - what if you create a 5 minute game, wait for 6 people to join, but leave because it takes 5 hours for them to join....you miss your first (and probably every subsequent) turn because people didn't join.

OR

The other option is to have a "we will start in x hour y minutes, please be here" to coordinate people being on at the same time - again, the 24 hour first turn would do that just fine.

OR

The other option is to have any number of minutes per turn (i.e. user selectable) but require a "cerfew" time where no moves are allowed. I.e. 1 hour turns with no turns between 10pm and 11am to let people sleep.

OR

have a "pause" button that any player can select to go do laundry or eat or, heaven forbid, use the "facilities" or something. This should be an indefinate pause, but after 24 hours, the other players have a resume button - if the person does not come back, they can all choose to pick the game back up (with a 1-2 hour lag time to get everyone there)

just some thoughts :)

Twill
Corporal 1st Class Twill
Retired Administrator

Medals: 11
Standard Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Time options

Postby avdoesberg on Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:30 am

I like what Twill said about the idea of having a space to say, "This game starts at..." so that people can join in for a real-time game. Can a game option be created that you can choose a starting time--if not all players are there either the game is cancelled (2 or fewer players) or started with neutral lands for any blank spots? (To be honest, I really have no idea how hard that would be to program. You may want to throw my ideas out altogether!)

Maybe the option should be, as you say, Lackattack, either real-time or 24hr. That does make more sense.
Private avdoesberg

Postby cowmonkey on Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:42 am

Twill wrote:LOL agree with you there Lack -

But....

The first turn of every game should be 24 hours - what if you create a 5 minute game, wait for 6 people to join, but leave because it takes 5 hours for them to join....you miss your first (and probably every subsequent) turn because people didn't join.

If you want to play a real time game and don't get the right number of players then you can abandon the game since it hasn't started yet. Then just start another one later.

Twill wrote:OR

The other option is to have a "we will start in x hour y minutes, please be here" to coordinate people being on at the same time - again, the 24 hour first turn would do that just fine.

Great idea. Have some public comments for each game to inform others what the expectations are for the game.

The other option is to have any number of minutes per turn (i.e. user selectable) but require a "cerfew" time where no moves are allowed. I.e. 1 hour turns with no turns between 10pm and 11am to let people sleep.

I agree with Lack above, 12 hours or 5-15 minutes, anything in between makes no sense, and by the way solves this problem.

have a "pause" button that any player can select to go do laundry or eat or, heaven forbid, use the "facilities" or something. This should be an indefinate pause, but after 24 hours, the other players have a resume button - if the person does not come back, they can all choose to pick the game back up (with a 1-2 hour lag time to get everyone there)

just some thoughts :)

Twill

I disagree with a pause button. Gives too much power to the game creator.

I am definitely all for a real time game format.
Private 1st Class cowmonkey

Re: Major gameplay changes

Postby Aphid on Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:15 pm

lackattack wrote:Your score is intended to reflect your skill

But at the moment with the current scoring system the people at the top of the scoreboard aren't necessarily the most skilled.

They might be but it's difficult to tell.
Sergeant Aphid

Next

Return to Announcement Archives