Conquer Club

St. Patrick's Day Rampage

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

St. Patrick's Day Rampage

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:00 am

The Irish Are Coming! The Irish Are Coming!

Batten down the hatches Club members, hordes of inebriated leprechauns have been spied stumbling around on the horizon! These maniacal hooligans will trample everything in their wake and bore us to death with tales about red shoes and orange beards, but they do have one weakness: The 4-Leaf Conquer Clover.

This St. Patricks Day (March 17) collect 44 4-Leaf Conquer Clovers and enter the Madcap Chase For The Green for a chance win big prizes, including a secret stash from the leprechauns' vault of stolen Green Conquer Stars!

ALERT! If at least 44 Players do not attain 44 Conquer Clovers, we will be overcome by the reveling blight, and thereafter the only map available on Conquer Club will be Saint Patrick's Day! You will be able to track progress on the day on the:

Conquer Clover Scoreboard

Also, we have the following Medals for collecting Clovers, regardless of whether they are used or not:

General Achievement: Anyone that gets 44 Clovers will get a General Achievement medal

Challenge Achievement: Anyone that gets 88 Clovers will get a Challenge Achievement medal

Notes:
  • Clovers can be collected (as below) from 2014-03-17 00:00:00 to 2014-03-17 23:59:59 CCT (Exception: any ongoing event speed tournaments will reward Clovers after this time)
  • Clovers can be used to enter either of the Tournaments: "The Madcap Chase For The Green" and "Waking In a Daze Amongst A Pile of Leaves"
  • Unused Clovers will disappear soon after the event has completed (with the exception of Clovers won from the above-mentioned tournaments)

On Thursday the 17th of March, there will be many ways to collect Clovers...

Games!

Starting and Winning Games will reward players with Conquer Clovers in the following descending order of likelihood:
  • St Patrick's Day Map
  • Regular Games (the more players the higher your chances)
  • Bot Games (very low chance, Bots don't believe in Leprechauns)

Battle Royales!

Test your luck in Ireland-themed Speed Battle Royales running throughout the day with highly juicy Clover drop rates.

Scenario!

A very special St. Paddy's Day Scenario will be released on the day of the event and will only be up for a short time.
(scenarios)

Leprechaun Smackdowns!

Speed AutoTournaments will run throughout the day, issuing Clovers.

Conquer Gods!

Of course the Conquer Gods will look after us by sending forth Clovers to the lucky (and the unlucky).

Madcap Chase For The Green

The grand finale of the event, chase down Irish McLeprechaunohan and his loutish pals, and unleash their hidden stash of stolen Green Stars in The Madcap Chase For The Green

-------------------------------------------

A note about clovers: Only clovers that were won in last year's Chase For the Green will be eligible to enter this year's. Ordinary clovers from last year do not count.
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: St. Patrick's Day Rampage

Postby Swifte on Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:43 am

It looks like the requirement for the goal tournament is currently set to only 21 clovers, not 44?

And what is the deal with the tournament format? There are two rounds with 2 player games that say "Best of 4" games. Why would you ever set up a tournament with 2 players and an even number of games between them. All this does is set it up for the ridiculous auto tournament tie-breakers to decide things when it would be a lot more intuitive to play 3 or 5 games.

This is the exact same issue I recently raised with one of the Decade In Review tournaments, yet here it is again. Do you need an extra person to review ideas for auto tournaments to stop them from being stupid? I would totally do that if it would help. You've run lots of good tournaments Duk - you've gotta see some of these special event formats just don't make sense....
Colonel Swifte

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:52 pm

Swifte wrote:It looks like the requirement for the goal tournament is currently set to only 21 clovers, not 44?

And what is the deal with the tournament format? There are two rounds with 2 player games that say "Best of 4" games. Why would you ever set up a tournament with 2 players and an even number of games between them. All this does is set it up for the ridiculous auto tournament tie-breakers to decide things when it would be a lot more intuitive to play 3 or 5 games.

This is the exact same issue I recently raised with one of the Decade In Review tournaments, yet here it is again. Do you need an extra person to review ideas for auto tournaments to stop them from being stupid? I would totally do that if it would help. You've run lots of good tournaments Duk - you've gotta see some of these special event formats just don't make sense....

The tournament requirement is 44. The 21 snuck in there as a cut-and-paste from something else. It's been fixed.

As for the rest, here's what BW had to say:
bigWham wrote:The rest of the comments largely miss the point of the event which is that, like the day and the map upon which it is based, it is not meant to be a study in logic or high competition... it is meant to be a bunch of crazy, silly fun. The "best of 4" is obviously a using the "4" from the "4 leafed clover"... as in all the other 4s that are all over the tourney. the map is a total crapshoot and nothing in the tourney structure could save that, even best of 999.

Even further, events in general deliberately slant towards participation, and players that just want to jump in and have fun. There are loads of things on the site that slant towards those that desire robust structure and challenging competition

I'm with BW on this. This is not chess. Games on this map are quick and easy and mostly the result of dice and turn order. There is probably less strategy on this map than on any other CC map. These events are going to be luck-driven, and trying to pretend that they're a cerebral contest by making some big fancy best-of-nine finale is futile. These events appeal to people who like roulette, not chess. If you want a more deterministic game, you have your clan events and you can play No Spoils Fog on Stalingrad or whatever. Playing Sunny Escalating on St. Paddy's Day is not how you are going to prove that you're smarter than Kasparov.

BW settled on the 4s because they stick with the theme of four-leaf clovers and the layout of the St. Paddy's Day map, and it's a good consistent theme. I expect a lot of people will have fun with it. Others will not. The site has a lot of different material to satisfy a lot of different tastes.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Swifte on Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:54 am

Thank you for the explanation. I hadn't thought about the fact that the format might be deliberately stupid (last time it was an oversight).
Colonel Swifte

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:23 am

St. Paddy's Day Scenario is now live, and as predicted it's a silly crapshoot that's strangely addictive!
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Murphalot on Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:04 am

Im not receiving any Clovers from the Conquer Gods.... are you guys sure the Saint Patties mode was activated? Its just spitting out other stars as per usual...
Major Murphalot

Postby Code_RED on Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:24 am

Dukasaur wrote:St. Paddy's Day Scenario is now live, and as predicted it's a silly crapshoot that's strangely addictive!

Very addictive!! :mrgreen:
Sergeant 1st Class Code_RED

Postby Donelladan on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:25 am

ALERT! If at least 44 Players do not attain 44 Conquer Clovers, we will be overcome by the reveling blight, and thereafter the only map available on Conquer Club will be Saint Patrick's Day!

I hope it's a joke ...
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby Code_RED on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:38 am

haha
Sergeant 1st Class Code_RED

Postby cooldeals on Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:39 am

So I found out if you foe someone. For example, someone who doesn't take their turns, or someone who drags a game out, you will not be matched with them.

I'M SO HAPPY!
Colonel cooldeals

Postby jdw35 on Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:01 pm

Will there be medals awarded to those who win a BR?
Major jdw35

Postby Koganosi on Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:47 am

jdw35 wrote:Will there be medals awarded to those who win a BR?

Ofc not! There is never a special medal for those who win BR's during events! Just the regular BR Medal!

Urs

Koganosi
Major Koganosi

Postby b00060 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:19 am

So no points for winning a scenaio game after St. Patrick's Day? That needs to be revisited. I joined over 200 clover games and I am not getting clovers for nearly 80 wins becasue my opponent took to long to take their turn. That is not cool.
Major b00060

Postby jdw35 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:20 am

Koganosi wrote:

Ofc not! There is never a special medal for those who win BR's during events! Just the regular BR Medal!

Urs

Koganosi

Actually that is not true at all. I have earned a medal in the past for winning BR's during the CC6 anniversary event (I think it was that one). Was just curious if they were doing the same thing.
Major jdw35

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:13 am

jdw35 wrote:
Koganosi wrote:

Urs

Koganosi

Actually that is not true at all. I have earned a medal in the past for winning BR's during the CC6 anniversary event (I think it was that one). Was just curious if they were doing the same thing.

There's no special medal for these, but like he said they do count towards your regular BR medal.
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby b00060 on Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:52 am

Clovers should count for any game started during st. patricks day. There is nothing that says the games must end by the 17th. How in the hell are multiplayer games supposed to finish in 24 hours unless they are speed. I have over 200 scenario games active that do not mean shit because my opponent waited until today to take their turns.
Major b00060

Postby BIG_John on Mon May 09, 2016 4:41 pm

Do we know what is going on for the medals for this? It is way past due and was just wondering! Did you guys forget about this maybe?
Colonel BIG_John

Postby Dukasaur on Tue May 10, 2016 6:24 am

BIG_John wrote:Do we know what is going on for the medals for this? It is way past due and was just wondering! Did you guys forget about this maybe?

The final tournament is still ongoing. Usually for these site-sponsored events we wait until all components are finished.
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby b00060 on Wed May 18, 2016 3:41 pm

I still say Clovers should count for any game started during st. patricks day. There is nothing that says the games must end by the 17th. How in the hell are multiplayer games supposed to finish in 24 hours unless they are speed. I had over 200 scenario games active that do not mean shit because my opponent waited until today to take their turns.
Major b00060

Postby BIG_John on Thu May 26, 2016 10:22 pm

Tournament has been completed now! ;)
Colonel BIG_John

Postby Dukasaur on Sun May 29, 2016 2:20 pm

BIG_John wrote:Tournament has been completed now! ;)

Correct.

Sending this upstairs for payment. Usually happens quite quickly after this point, 48 hours or less.
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Sun May 29, 2016 2:32 pm

b00060 wrote:Clovers should count for any game started during st. patricks day. There is nothing that says the games must end by the 17th. How in the hell are multiplayer games supposed to finish in 24 hours unless they are speed. I have over 200 scenario games active that do not mean shit because my opponent waited until today to take their turns.

Definitely will need to change this for next year's event.
― Voltaire
Major Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby BIG_John on Sun May 29, 2016 5:01 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
BIG_John wrote:Tournament has been completed now! ;)

Correct.

Sending this upstairs for payment. Usually happens quite quickly after this point, 48 hours or less.

Thank you sir!
Colonel BIG_John

Next

Return to Announcement Archives