Conquer Club

Conquer Club Olympics - Rio Edition

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Conquer Club Olympics - Rio Edition

Postby dkmaster on Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:01 pm

Yes I got both medals last year

There seems to be a little bug or something in one or more games. Only 9 ribbons are available but I can see a player having 10 at the scoreboard. It wont change anything this year but might be better to correctt it anyway :)
Colonel dkmaster

Postby josko.ri on Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:26 am

dkmaster wrote:Yes I got both medals last year

I would not be sure the same rules are still in effect. I also got both medals 2 years ago in the Olympic event but for example in Valentine and/or St Patrick events I got only one medal although earned both (if I remember correctly). That is why I am double checking.
Major josko.ri

Postby josko.ri on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:54 am

josko.ri wrote:I have another question. I see there is GA medal for scoring 11 points and CA medal for scoring 30 points. Will players who scored more than 30 receive both medals, as they qualified for both criteria?

Still no answer to this. going to wall the organizer.
Major josko.ri

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:55 pm

josko.ri wrote:
josko.ri wrote:I have another question. I see there is GA medal for scoring 11 points and CA medal for scoring 30 points. Will players who scored more than 30 receive both medals, as they qualified for both criteria?

Yeah, if you qualify for the CA you get the GA also.
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby josko.ri on Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:59 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
josko.ri wrote:

Yeah, if you qualify for the CA you get the GA also.

Thanks for clarifying.
Major josko.ri

Postby josko.ri on Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:06 pm

I see that this event is running until 31st of December.

However, there is still 6 tournaments running, all in the last round of competition:
all 3 Ball Dropping
2 of 5 Brazilian Geography Class
1 of 4 Human Catapulting

It is likely all tournaments will be over within the next 2-3 weeks.

My question is, do you extend the deadline longer than 31st December until all events finish, or you take the results which are achieved until 31st of December and conclude the event?

The race for the first place is undecided yet, it can be changed based by outcome of the last 6 tournaments.
Major josko.ri

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:29 am

josko.ri wrote:I see that this event is running until 31st of December.

However, there is still 6 tournaments running, all in the last round of competition:
all 3 Ball Dropping
1 of 4 Human Catapulting

My question is, do you extend the deadline longer than 31st December until all events finish, or you take the results which are achieved until 31st of December and conclude the event?

The race for the first place is undecided yet, it can be changed based by outcome of the last 6 tournaments.

I've forwarded this to bigWham with a recommendation that the deadline be extended one month. The final decision is his, but I'm hoping he'll agree.
ā€• Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:12 pm

Dukasaur wrote:

all 3 Ball Dropping
1 of 4 Human Catapulting

I've forwarded this to bigWham with a recommendation that the deadline be extended one month. The final decision is his, but I'm hoping he'll agree.

Deadline extension authorized.
ā€• Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Symmetry on Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:52 am

Dukasaur wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:

all 3 Ball Dropping
1 of 4 Human Catapulting

Deadline extension authorized.

Did you ask the BW about Paralympians too?
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby riskllama on Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:55 pm

no doubt it's the crippled paralympians who are to blame for the games dragging on so long, sym. duh.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Symmetry on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:12 am

riskllama wrote:no doubt it's the crippled paralympians who are to blame for the games dragging on so long, sym. duh.

I get that there's a stigma about disabled people, but it's not really fair to make that kind of comment. For one, the term "cripple" is pretty much grossly offensive and innacurate. Many Paralympians were born with physical disabilities, they were not, as you put it, "crippled". In any case, the Paralympics was originally set up for people who were made disabled by war.

It started as a way to show that people who lost limbs and suffered injuries serving their countries weren't second class. That they could train and compete, achieve, and excell too. Nowadays, the event has evolved into an international games, celebrating the achievements of people around the world, with athletes born with disabilities, those who suffered injury or accident, and sportsmen and women who lost something through illness.

Dismissing athletes as "crippled paralympians" is simply wrong. It's the kind of second-class dismisall that I've been arguing against.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby IcePack on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:59 am

I'm curious why you avoid the term cripple? In looking up the definition, it literally defined as a disabled or lame person. It seems like you are saying, this is overlooked instead of burnt because burnt is harsh when they literally mean the same thing?

a : a lame or partly disabled person or animal
b : one that is disabled or deficient in a specified manner <a social cripple>
: something flawed or imperfect

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby riskllama on Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:39 pm

because troll.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby IcePack on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:00 pm

Massive props to all my fellow teammates and friends in the Fallen!
We won the event last year with a score of 129, and showed up this year to nearly triple our score! =D> (We will finish somewhere 372-375, and needed 389 to triple)

Thanks to everyone who spent time putting this together and making a fun event and thanks to all the awesome competitors who made it yet another awesome and fun year of competition!

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby josko.ri on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:07 am

IcePack wrote:Massive props to all my fellow teammates and friends in the Fallen!
We won the event last year with a score of 129, and showed up this year to nearly triple our score! =D> (We will finish somewhere 372-375, and needed 389 to triple)

Thanks to everyone who spent time putting this together and making a fun event and thanks to all the awesome competitors who made it yet another awesome and fun year of competition!

Congratulations for your achievement =D>

I would like to see next year Tribal scoring system based on number of players or events entered per Tribe, not plain total numbers of events. Something like that was implemented in the first Olympics when Japan won ahead of US and UK because performance was based on the number of players participating from each country. If we have plain total numbers of events, we will always have the same winners who are the most active ones on the site (FALL).
Major josko.ri

Postby IcePack on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:19 am

It seems like that would discourage participation?
I mean, if I know I'm going to drag the average down I just stop participating.
At that point, every tribe just sends their #1 guy (like you for S&M) and the rest of the site ignores the event to pump their average up?

It's not like the level of activity or participation we reached is unobtainable by others. We had 9 people in the top 50 that took 80+% of the points.
9 isn't a unreasonable amount? If we had 50 ppl in our clan, and only earning points from that I could see the complaint but I don't get why participation is a bad thing here

The whole point of these events are to encourage participation and games etc. I. Fact it even brought back at least one player who retired from the site for us because they enjoyed the event so much previously. Changing the format, the big loser becomes the site

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Symmetry on Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:04 pm

IcePack wrote:I'm curious why you avoid the term cripple? In looking up the definition, it literally defined as a disabled or lame person. It seems like you are saying, this is overlooked instead of burnt because burnt is harsh when they literally mean the same thing?

a : a lame or partly disabled person or animal
b : one that is disabled or deficient in a specified manner <a social cripple>
: something flawed or imperfect

Honestly, because of something called the "euphemism treadmill". Words that were once accurate and acceptablly used to define minority groups quickly become perjoratives used to attack members of the majority group, and to further dismiss people in the minority. It's annoying, but it happens. Words like spastic, cripple, or retarded, have more perjorative meanings nowadays than they used to.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby djelebert on Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:31 am

Lieutenant djelebert

Postby shoop76 on Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:56 pm

100% agree with Josko here. All the fun has been taken out of the event because only 1 clan has a chance of winning.

Also we are forced to enter as clans, Som clans have 50+ players while others have less than 15. Events like this used to fun and competitive,
Major shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:06 pm

shoop76 wrote:100% agree with Josko here. All the fun has been taken out of the event because only 1 clan has a chance of winning.

Also we are forced to enter as clans, Som clans have 50+ players while others have less than 15. Events like this used to fun and competitive,

The first year we did by nations. The second year we did by Tribes. The plan for the third year was to go by classes (Class of 2007, Class of 2008, etc.) However, the programming for the classes wasn't ready in time, so we just conscripted the Tribal release from the previous year and threw it into the fray.

It is not intended to run any two consecutive years the same way. That was basically just an emergency situation.
ā€• Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby IcePack on Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:14 pm

shoop76 wrote:100% agree with Josko here. All the fun has been taken out of the event because only 1 clan has a chance of winning.

Only 1 clan has a chance @ winning? Last year we had won w 129 points, I'm pretty sure this year at least 1-2 others reached that level.

As I pointed out before 80% of our points came from 9 people. So saying a clan of 15-20 can't compete vs 9 seems pretty rediculous? And it's Josko in the clan of 50 complaining about activity when his clan had the biggest pool to pull from...

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Keefie on Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:40 am

No clan has 50 players.
Major Keefie
Chatter
Chatter

Postby benga on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:01 am

The clan that has 50 is NO.
Sergeant benga

Postby josko.ri on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:02 am

IcePack wrote:

Only 1 clan has a chance @ winning? Last year we had won w 129 points, I'm pretty sure this year at least 1-2 others reached that level.

As I pointed out before 80% of our points came from 9 people. So saying a clan of 15-20 can't compete vs 9 seems pretty rediculous? And it's Josko in the clan of 50 complaining about activity when his clan had the biggest pool to pull from...

IcePack, you cannot that simply compare number of points in last year and this year. For example, last year winner dkmaster had 45 points while this year winner will have 92 points, more than double than last year. In addition, 5 players this year will have more points than winner's points last year. This year was composed of much more events than last year, that is why number of points achieved per every placed player is in average more than double. Therefore, also your points earned as a Tribe are moire than doubled.

Your Tribe had 77 participation ribbons which is more than double than any other Tribe. How we can have fair competition when participation from one clan is so much overestimated than participation of any other clan? Looking just by numbers, S&M clan has the most players but half are inactive and from active ones there is about 70% players who play only clan games and nothing else in my clan. We have veteran players joined this site before 2010 who do not anymore hold big interest for CC besides clan gaming. However in FALL clan you have mostly freshcomers to CC joined after 2010, and these players still have extensive interest for joining CC events.

I very like Dukasaur's idea to make next Oliympics by Classes (2007, 2008...). However, in classes also can happen that one class overestimate other classes by number of participants. Therefore, I suggest to take only 10 the best players score into account, not all players' score. Also, if we will ever again have Tribal competition in the Olympics tournament, then I suggest to take into account only top 5 players' scores from each Tribe as relevant. On that way quality of results will be in advantage over quantity of results.
Major josko.ri

Postby IcePack on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:30 am

So if you won't be in top 5 no point to participate

Plus again - why is it bad we participated?!? Isn't that the whole point of an event? People participate? Even if you take away the 1 Pt medal we still have won so doesn't make the difference and everything else still hurts participation of its changed. And we only had 9 main people participating it's not like we have all 25+ going. You stil have 25 players active you just didn't get them to participate.

Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives