Conquer Club

5th USAS Contest -- North Carolina

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Which CC map best represents the state of North Carolina?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:53 pm

Pirates and Merchants "Several pirates, including Blackbeard, played a role in NC history."
24%
CCU "The University of North Carolina Chapel Hill is the oldest State University in the United States."
26%
USA 2.1 "First flight at Kitty Hawk. The strategic airports on the U.S.A. 2.0 map reflect the importance of the Wright Brothers' invention on the United States (and the rest of the world)."
11%
The Citadel "actually located in South Carolina, but SC is already represented."
2%
Baseball "Babe Ruth hit his first professional home run on US soil in Fayetteville NC. Spring training 1914."
2%
Chinese Checkers "because it's a symbol of homosexuality and in NC there are 'No Gays Allowed'"
7%
Ireland : "North Carolina got the biggest population rate of Irish Ulster scots."
7%
King of the mountains. "Mount Mitchell is located in North Carolina, and is the highest peak of the Appalachian mountains."
16%
New Zealand "would be an appropriate map because of Richard Pearse, who is also relevant to aviation."
4%

Total votes : 95

Re: 5th USAS Contest -- North Carolina

Postby notyou2 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:18 pm

Apparently, due to the fact that black people live in NC, Africa should be in this poll.

Any map with USSR should also be included, because red people also reside in the state of NC.

I am boycotting this non-racist poll.
Captain notyou2

Postby LiveLoveTeach on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:25 am

With Pirates and Merchants being a Beta map, would it be the best choice of map for the tournament to run on?
Major LiveLoveTeach

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:10 pm

LiveLoveTeach wrote:With Pirates and Merchants being a Beta map, would it be the best choice of map for the tournament to run on?

No. I don't even know we have a map called P&M.
ā–‘ā–’ā–’ā–“ā–“ā–“ā–’ā–’ā–‘
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby jmyork82 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:03 pm

It would be a good way see if there are any balance issues on that map in order to quench it, wouldn't it? Besides, beta maps occur in tournaments. why not this one? Why have a map open to the public if you dont use it.
Lieutenant jmyork82

Postby DoomYoshi on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:47 pm

jmyork82 wrote:It would be a good way see if there are any balance issues on that map in order to quench it, wouldn't it? Besides, beta maps occur in tournaments. why not this one? Why have a map open to the public if you dont use it.

Because it's not Chinese Checkers, which is the correct choice.
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Ltrain on Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:01 pm

I've lived in North Carolina for 34 of my 37 years. Therefore my vote should count twice :D

I think the only two that ought to be considered are King of the Mountains and Pirates and Merchants. The others, while creative, all sound like a stretch to me. Finding a map related to aviation would make sense, but I actually avoid the plane spots when I play USA 2.1. If you went that route, I would think Stalingrad or any number of World War related maps. Maybe because I grew up here, I think it would just be cooler not to have a plane related map.

I mean, the Wright Brothers were from Ohio. There came here cause it's windy. Yay. Go NC.

I did not know that 9.5% of Raleigh has Irish ancestry! My mom's side were Ferrell's formerly O'Ferrell. My granddad always told me as a kid that his granddad lost the O in the Ocean. Still, seems a little weird to have a country map represent a state. Save it for Massachusetts or Indiana.

And as for the homophobe slam, ha. ha. not really. We voted that asshole out in November. Unfortuately the "repeal" of HB2 was almost just as bad. We are one of the worst gerrymandered states in the nation, and the courts finally forced us to fix it in time for the midterm elections. Now I'm not saying democrat good, republican bad, but in rural NC those conservatives are... not great. Most of the middle to upper class republicans in NC are socially liberal, fiscally conservative. I mean hell, I kinna fit that bill. I just don't freak out that we spend a few dollars on education and food stamps.
Major Ltrain

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:02 am

Ltrain wrote:I've lived in North Carolina for 34 of my 37 years. Therefore my vote should count twice :D

I think the only two that ought to be considered are King of the Mountains and Pirates and Merchants. The others, while creative, all sound like a stretch to me. Finding a map related to aviation would make sense, but I actually avoid the plane spots when I play USA 2.1. If you went that route, I would think Stalingrad or any number of World War related maps. Maybe because I grew up here, I think it would just be cooler not to have a plane related map.

I mean, the Wright Brothers were from Ohio. There came here cause it's windy. Yay. Go NC.

I did not know that 9.5% of Raleigh has Irish ancestry! My mom's side were Ferrell's formerly O'Ferrell. My granddad always told me as a kid that his granddad lost the O in the Ocean. Still, seems a little weird to have a country map represent a state. Save it for Massachusetts or Indiana.

And as for the homophobe slam, ha. ha. not really. We voted that asshole out in November. Unfortuately the "repeal" of HB2 was almost just as bad. We are one of the worst gerrymandered states in the nation, and the courts finally forced us to fix it in time for the midterm elections. Now I'm not saying democrat good, republican bad, but in rural NC those conservatives are... not great. Most of the middle to upper class republicans in NC are socially liberal, fiscally conservative. I mean hell, I kinna fit that bill. I just don't freak out that we spend a few dollars on education and food stamps.

This poll isn't about North Carolina the state. It's about North Carolina on Conquer Club. In the history of CC, there has only been two threads about North Carolina. This one, and the one I linked. If pirates are so important to North Carolinian CCers how come nobody has ever started a thread about it? Could you even find a game chat that mentions this imaginary link? It just isn't relevant to the masses. It's an obscure map that shows the pollsters are out of touch with the common people.
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Swifte on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:03 am

UNC -> Home of Michael Jordan -> Chicago Bulls star -> 4 Star Meats

It was right there in front of us the whole time!
Colonel Swifte

Postby Ltrain on Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:51 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
Ltrain wrote:I've lived in North Carolina for 34 of my 37 years. Therefore my vote should count twice :D

This poll isn't about North Carolina the state. It's about North Carolina on Conquer Club. In the history of CC, there has only been two threads about North Carolina. This one, and the one I linked. If pirates are so important to North Carolinian CCers how come nobody has ever started a thread about it? Could you even find a game chat that mentions this imaginary link? It just isn't relevant to the masses. It's an obscure map that shows the pollsters are out of touch with the common people.

That's why I voted for King of the Mountains only.
Major Ltrain

Postby riskllama on Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:57 pm

what about Draknor? there's a 1 in 48 chance the author/creator is from N. Carolina.
Lieutenant riskllama

The Andy Griffith Show was set in NC - The Real Answer

Postby HitRed on Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:44 am

The most family friendly show of all time was set in North Carolina. The Andy Griffith Show. Since everyone's neighborly in NC like Opie, Aunt Bee and Barney Fife use the Madness Map that was based on the song Our House. "Our house in the middle of the street". Yea, everyone knows it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oXA6CLTDekw

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrSbgY ... PrM8pqZD8-

Sad if this opportunity is passed by...

Hitred

Update: Sorry, just informed I Missed the deadline on ideas.
Captain HitRed

Re: The Andy Griffith Show was set in NC - The Real Answer

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:19 am

HitRed wrote:The most family friendly show of all time was set in North Carolina. The Andy Griffith Show. Since everyone's neighborly in NC like Opie, Aunt Bee and Barney Fife use the Madness Map that was based on the song Our House. "Our house in the middle of the street". Yea, everyone knows it.

Hitred

Aye. You have missed the deadline. Though it would have been a cool idea.
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby DoomYoshi on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:17 am

Anyone who brings more Ron Howard into the world is a winner in my eyes HitRed.
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby Thorthoth on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:38 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:Anyone who brings more Ron Howard into the world is a winner in my eyes HitRed.

Ha, more like Clint Howard....
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby jmyork82 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:49 am

Team NC right here!
Lieutenant jmyork82

Postby Thorthoth on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:52 pm

How CC state map contests (don't) work.
1. One or two players come up with good ideas (i.e. U.S.A. 2.1 for N. Carolina).
2. Another half dozen or so clowns come by with cynical joke ideas.
3. Said clowns make pointless commentary and nonsensical arguments to support their unsupportable entries.
4. Then mod incompetence & corruption shows up to destroy any lingering possibility of the system actually working.
5. Result: Another poor map choice and undeserved contest win...
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby IcePack on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:03 pm

Or perhaps people voting disagree that the argument you provided in favor of USA 2.1? Or donā€™t like the map? Or both...there could be many reasons, not sure how mod incompetence and corruption plays a part in the public vote results.

I know I didnā€™t vote for it, I donā€™t look who submitted or read the thread. I read the maps and the arguments for it listed, and vote. Wasnā€™t even in my top 3.

fac vitam incredibilem memento vivere
Knowledge Weighs Nothing, Carry All You Can
Major IcePack
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Postby Thorthoth on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:26 pm

IcePack wrote:Or perhaps people voting disagree that the argument you provided in favor of USA 2.1? Or donā€™t like the map? Or both...there could be many reasons, not sure how mod incompetence and corruption plays a part in the public vote results.

I know I didnā€™t vote for it, I donā€™t look who submitted or read the thread. I read the maps and the arguments for it listed, and vote. Wasnā€™t even in my top 3.

Citizens that don't vote for U.S.A. 2.1 should be put on a worldwide, permanent 'no-fly' list.
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby riskllama on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:45 pm

Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Thorthoth on Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:53 pm

Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby HitRed on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:16 pm

Last edited by HitRed on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain HitRed

Postby Thorthoth on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:41 pm

Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:43 pm

Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: The Andy Griffith Show was set in NC - The Real Answer

Postby Ltrain on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:06 am

HitRed wrote:The most family friendly show of all time was set in North Carolina. The Andy Griffith Show. Since everyone's neighborly in NC like Opie, Aunt Bee and Barney Fife use the Madness Map that was based on the song Our House. "Our house in the middle of the street". Yea, everyone knows it.

Hitred

I have been to Mayberry, NC, er Mount Airy, NC. I remember seeing a full replica of the house as it would've been on the tv show when i was around 12ish. So like 1992.

I spent a LONG time googling to try to find if this house still exists. It is not the same as the Andy Griffith museum. Honestly, it could've been a house someone just made to look like the show and we stopped there cause it was near a sweet bbq joint. I'm actually not kidding.
Major Ltrain

Postby sbbonk on Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:18 pm

CCU UNC University.....proud Alumni
Sergeant 1st Class sbbonk

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives