Conquer Club

POLL - Auto Snapshot at game start

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Auto Snapshot at game start

Poll ended at Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:22 pm

YES
97%
NO
3%

Total votes : 254

Re: POLL - Auto Snapshot at game start

Postby Shoe555 on Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:38 am

Yes.
Major Shoe555

Postby Steve Ayers on Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:44 am

First I'd heard of the the 12 hour courtesy rule.
May I apologise to the countless people I must have annoyed over the years?
Corporal Steve Ayers

Postby Fewnix on Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:17 am

Definitely YES YES YES

This would help in team games,albeit with some hindsight, where I try to train mates in clan RGV

"When we play in a clan war game, when the drop comes down, before any one makes a move
show
"

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU
=D> =D> =D>
Rule 1
show
Private Fewnix

Postby catnipdreams on Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:33 pm

YES!!!!!!!
Major catnipdreams

Postby Shannon Apple on Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:29 pm

Big time YES. I'm not sure why the autosnap feature was implemented without the "round 0" autosnap to begin with.

Mad777 wrote:I wish more people would have voted comparing with the amount of views this topic has...not sure why is so much difference.

Search engine crawlers and offsite visitors inflate the view count. The probability of 8,000 members capable of casting a vote having actually read the thread is slim. ;)
00:33:53 ‹riskllama› will her and i ever hook up, LLT???
00:34:09 ‹LiveLoveTeach› You and Shannon?
00:34:20 ‹LiveLoveTeach› Bahahahahahaha
00:34:22 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I doubt it
00:34:30 ‹LiveLoveTeach› I don't think she's into farm animals
Brigadier Shannon Apple
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jdsizzleslice on Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:25 am

I'm jumping on this train sort of late, so I have a few discussion points that I would like to talk about, and I'm sorry if they have been mentioned already.

• Will the auto-snap pre-start to a game apply only to Fog games? I could see an argument as to why an auto-snap shouldn't apply to Sunny games.
  • Will the auto-snap pre-start to a game apply only to those why have the Panel activated? Then, will every person who doesn't have the Panel activated will see random ASCII/UNICODE text in their game chat? This could be very confusing for new players. If this were to become implemented, we would need to incorporate this into the instructions or figure out a way to help new players understand what these Snapshots do.
Brigadier Jdsizzleslice

Postby Ltrain on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:35 am

TX AG 90 wrote:I played a guy once in a 3-game series that took his turns seconds after the games dropped (he was 1st in all 3). I tried to get a snap a few minutes afterwards (I was in the crapper) but had already missed my chance. He refused to tell me his moves saying that was part of the game - being able to login faster than someone else.

So, I did the appropriate thing - I spanked him in all 3 games and blasted his rating.

I would never do this myself but I he is kinna right. I mean, we have a whole setting, "Freestyle," devoted to that logic.
That being said, it would be nice for the clan wars, tribe stuff.
YukFoo agree that the first snap is the only snap that matters!
JD you are right we could save some space by not having autosnap for sunny games where it's pretty pointless.
Major Ltrain

Postby Doc_Brown on Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:48 am

Jdsizzleslice wrote:I'm jumping on this train sort of late, so I have a few discussion points that I would like to talk about, and I'm sorry if they have been mentioned already.

• Will the auto-snap pre-start to a game apply only to Fog games? I could see an argument as to why an auto-snap shouldn't apply to Sunny games.
  • Will the auto-snap pre-start to a game apply only to those why have the Panel activated? Then, will every person who doesn't have the Panel activated will see random ASCII/UNICODE text in their game chat? This could be very confusing for new players. If this were to become implemented, we would need to incorporate this into the instructions or figure out a way to help new players understand what these Snapshots do.

I may be wrong, but I think panels are enabled by default for new players. So they would actually have to *disable* the panel interface in order to see the random string. Those that have looked around enough to figure out how to do that are less likely to be confused by the initial snapshot.

For sunny games, I can't think of a situation in which it would be detrimental to have a pre-game snapshot. It's probably not necessary to have it in those cases, though I'd rather have it in all games than not have it in any.
Colonel Doc_Brown

Postby CatchersMitt14 on Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:03 pm

Doc_Brown wrote:
Jdsizzleslice wrote:I'm jumping on this train sort of late, so I have a few discussion points that I would like to talk about, and I'm sorry if they have been mentioned already.

I may be wrong, but I think panels are enabled by default for new players. So they would actually have to *disable* the panel interface in order to see the random string. Those that have looked around enough to figure out how to do that are less likely to be confused by the initial snapshot.

For sunny games, I can't think of a situation in which it would be detrimental to have a pre-game snapshot. It's probably not necessary to have it in those cases, though I'd rather have it in all games than not have it in any.

New players have panels and no option to turn them off. They’re stuck with them. The people who get confused are old players who either never were told panels are an option (or just hate them and refuse to use them) and never heard of BOB.
11:36:19 ‹Swifte› #RazYouUselessTwit
Captain CatchersMitt14

Postby the boognish on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:06 am

sorry, what are snaps, and am i at a disadvantage by not using them ?
Major the boognish

Postby Pirlo on Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:36 am

the boognish wrote:sorry, what are snaps, and am i at a disadvantage by not using them ?

Snap is a picture of the board taken after you have finished your turn, so when you come back for the next turn, you can have a peek to remind you how the board looked and you can figure out what your opponent did.

You will be at a disadvantage only if you play under the fog of war where the log doesn't reveal everything your opponent(s) do.
Captain Pirlo

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:30 pm

Mad777 wrote:I wish more people would have voted comparing with the amount of views this topic has...not sure why is so much difference.

Why would you need more votes :shock:

There is no downside to implementing this feature! It has been asked for for awhile now and if something is finally going to be done, I think a 97.5% vote shows just about a good majority liking it... account for the probable trolls voting.... I think we are pretty close to unanimous lol

EDIT: I also think views counts for the same people visiting multiple times. I know I have visited at least 15 times.
Offsite to 12/31/2023. Reach out to TheSpaceCowboy to reach me
Colonel Swimmerdude99

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:25 pm

swimmerdude99 wrote:Why would you need more votes :shock:

The webmaster is inherently skeptical about investing effort. Like previous webmasters, he's realized that CC is never going to make decent money and he's willing to let it coast on autopilot while he moves on to other projects. When we ask him for changes nowadays, his answer is usually "why would I invest huge amounts of programming time in something that only a tiny number of users care about?" In order to get him to do anything, we need to bring evidence that it's a large number of users who want it.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby TX AG 90 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:35 am

Dukasaur wrote:
swimmerdude99 wrote:Why would you need more votes :shock:

The webmaster is inherently skeptical about investing effort. Like previous webmasters, he's realized that CC is never going to make decent money and he's willing to let it coast on autopilot while he moves on to other projects. When we ask him for changes nowadays, his answer is usually "why would I invest huge amounts of programming time in something that only a tiny number of users care about?" In order to get him to do anything, we need to bring evidence that it's a large number of users who want it.

He should be worried about the people who left out of frustration that many games are 1 v 1 / Foggy and ass-hats don't give them a chance to grab a snap. It's silly to have auto-snaps everywhere except Turn 0.

It's so annoying for me to have to monitor my Inbox looking for auto tournament start messages so I can run to my computer and grab a snap. If I wanted that kind of tension, I would play freestyle.
Private TX AG 90

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:14 am

Has anyone told him I'd do it? If he's not willing to have even people help the site gratis... that's just depressing.
Colonel Swimmerdude99

Postby Mad777 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:05 pm

swimmerdude99 wrote:Has anyone told him I'd do it? If he's not willing to have even people help the site gratis... that's just depressing.

Have you send him a PM? That would answer you own question ;)
".....Under Phucumol treatment....."
https://youtu.be/zlusWzDY4qw
Lieutenant Mad777

Postby cpusurfer on Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:32 pm

For those people who do not want the snap, could it be a feature that needs to be enabled?

This would save the space for people who don't think it necessary but give people who want the feature the ability to have it. This would also prevent new people or returning people from being confused if their auto snap does not automatically initiate until they dig further into the settings.
Major cpusurfer

Postby ljex on Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:56 pm

cpusurfer wrote:For those people who do not want the snap, could it be a feature that needs to be enabled?

This would save the space for people who don't think it necessary but give people who want the feature the ability to have it. This would also prevent new people or returning people from being confused if their auto snap does not automatically initiate until they dig further into the settings.

There is already a setting for snapshots to be on / off...couldn't it just be tied to that existing setting?
Major ljex

Postby riskllama on Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:34 pm

or, they could simply choose not to look at it... :?
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Hooch on Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:05 pm

ljex wrote:
cpusurfer wrote:For those people who do not want the snap, could it be a feature that needs to be enabled?

There is already a setting for snapshots to be on / off...couldn't it just be tied to that existing setting?

I'd rather it wasn't, I don't have panel interface enabled for general games as it is a pain on my phone.
However if the system takes the snap and then I can look at it when I turn on PI, that'd be great.
Private 1st Class Hooch

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:43 am

I don't disagree with either of you. I was just giving context.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Robespierre__ on Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:07 pm

iAmCaffeine wrote:
Davie.K wrote: I am English forgive me,we are not very bright.

speak for yourself moose. must have no backbone.

id vote yes. kinda dumb this even needs a poll. who would vote no?

Oh I can think of someone whose name rhymes with Dicepack :p
Major Robespierre__

Postby JOHNNYROCKET24 on Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:07 am

Probably the beat idea ever suggested on this site. Too many players click join on a fog game and than rush to their active games just to get first turn in before the waiting players get a chance to see the board. Also, it eliminates the possibility of the first player to miss turn. Last week I waited the 12 hours but forgot to go back later and play my turns. It was a tournament game (series) so I waited for the other player to get snaps only to forget to take my turns on time. I had 1st go in 3 of 5 games only than to go last in all 5 because I dint play my turns as soon as I got the message in my inbox that games have started.
JR's Game Profile

show
Captain JOHNNYROCKET24

Postby Swimmerdude99 on Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:14 pm

JOHNNYROCKET24 wrote:Probably the beat idea ever suggested on this site. Too many players click join on a fog game and than rush to their active games just to get first turn in before the waiting players get a chance to see the board. Also, it eliminates the possibility of the first player to miss turn. Last week I waited the 12 hours but forgot to go back later and play my turns. It was a tournament game (series) so I waited for the other player to get snaps only to forget to take my turns on time. I had 1st go in 3 of 5 games only than to go last in all 5 because I dint play my turns as soon as I got the message in my inbox that games have started.

So its just me you don't wait for :P Of all people I would think you wouldn't care :mrgreen:
Colonel Swimmerdude99

Postby eric111213 on Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:57 pm

Great Idea!
Major eric111213

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives