Conquer Club

[23-Oct-2007] Fog of war

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[23-Oct-2007] Fog of war

Postby lackattack on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:10 pm

Fog Of War
According to Wikipedia, the fog of war is a term used to describe the level of ambiguity in situational awareness experienced by participants in military operations. Now you can turn up the ambiguity in your Conquer Club games with this radical new game option! The fog of war masks enemy positions that are not adjacent to your forces (or your team's forces). It also masks territory and continent names in the log. Originally suggested by seraphesy back in Jan 2006. Enjoy!

My Games Sorted
The Active Games tab now lists time remaining and sorts the games in that order, with the games where it's your turn on top. No more scrolling and guessing for the most urgent game to play!

Jump to the Next Game
The sorted Active Games tab is nice and all, but it matters less now that you won't have to visit My Games over and over and over. After you finish your turn a handy link will appear that takes you straight to the next game (with the least time remaining of course!) or back to My Games if you're done.

Speed Games Improved
We've received quite a lot of feedback that 5 minutes isn't enough time when you eliminate someone and have a mid-turn cash-in. So the round/turn will now be extended by 2.5 minutes after each elimination in a speed game. If that's still not enough we'll consider lengthening it even more in the future.

We also got rid of that annoying "please don't click refresh so often" popup and fixed an issue where the auto-refresh can mess up your dropdown menu selection. Auto-refresh will no longer occur when a game dropdown menu is in focus.

Freestyle Improved
There was a well known loophole in freestyle games. If you were blocked from taking your turn because you ended the previous round, your opponents could wait until the last minute to play, shutting you out. Now the back-to-back turn block expires once the round is half over, so you'll still be able to play if your opponents wait.

Terminator Improved
Deadbeats in terminator games now lose points to the game winner if they are not terminated before the game is won. This is consistent with other game types, and solves the problem of players intentionally deadbeating to avoid losing points.

Turn Notifications
You can now get notified by email each time it's your turn. This will be turned on by default for new players, and should hopefully reduce newbie deadbeating. By the way, the training pms of the last update have reduced newbie deadbeating from 52% to 43%.

Rules Updated
This actually was part of the last update but I forgot to mention it! The rules page has been revised, please take a moment to review it, especially the new "Unwritten Rules" clause.

Referral Program
This new and improved referral program replaces the old Refer-A-Friend contest. In a nutshell, we provide you a special link to use and you get 1 month free for each time you refer someone that purchases premium membership. This will be much fairer than a random contest.

To show our appreciation for those of you whom participated in the old Refer-A-Friend contest, all your referrals are being copied over to the new program, and you'll get your bonus months from now on when those people get premium or renew.

Oh and one last thing:

Congratulations to alamat who won Premium Membership for referring ragnzor in the last ever, October Refer-A-Friend contest.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby GreecePwns on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:19 pm

I saw the ??? part, and I made a thread about you having too much to drink. :lol: :lol:

Sorry.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby Elwar on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:20 pm

Great work

Edit; Although games its your turn in are no longer bolded.

Editx2; And why does it say
"Fog of War
Time Remaining"?
Last edited by Elwar on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lieutenant Elwar

Postby Twill on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:20 pm

Woah there. No wonder you wouldn't tell me what was coming.

Good work Lack!
Corporal 1st Class Twill

Postby soundout9 on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:20 pm

GreecePwns wrote:I saw the ??? part, and I made a thread about you having too much to drink. :lol: :lol:

Sorry.

LOL
Private soundout9

Postby rebelman on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:21 pm

All sounds very impressive, well done lack, having the time remaining on that front page makes a huge difference. Fog of war should be class, looking forward to trying it out.
Don't now why people on here don't like being cooks, remember under siege: A former SEAL, now cook, is the only person who can stop a gang of terrorists when they sieze control of a US Navy battleship.
Private rebelman

Postby enterprise47 on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:21 pm

just saw it take affect....very cool changes...thanks!
Corporal enterprise47

Postby poo-maker on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:22 pm

thanks for the great update =D>
Brigadier poo-maker

Re: [23-Oct-2007] Fog of war

Postby bedub1 on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:22 pm

lackattack wrote:especially the new "Unwritten Rules" clause.

You wrote down the unwritten rules?
Colonel bedub1

Postby I GOT SERVED on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:22 pm

SHWEET!

I for one, am very excited.

Thank you very much lack, for keeping me a happy camper :D

Highest score: 2512
Highest rank: 424
Captain I GOT SERVED

Postby hendy on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:24 pm

O wow, a new referral program, CC really need that, you really suck lack.
Sergeant 1st Class hendy

Postby AAFitz on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:24 pm

it was funny to watch it happen...
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby Aerial Attack on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:24 pm

Excellent !!!
My Conquer Club Scripts | Bests: 2133, #205
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby jnd94 on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:25 pm

Yayz! Thanks so much Lack! :P
Captain jnd94

sweet

Postby Piestar on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:26 pm

Awesome... can't wait to try the Fog of War option... already put the link out there for people too!
Sergeant Piestar

Postby Night Strike on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:28 pm

Now that's a large update encompassing many desires. Great work.
Major Night Strike

Postby Woofinder on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:30 pm

I miss my games not being in bold already *sobs*

In the next update why not have the option of making all game chat in Wingdings to cut out annoying people's banter?

Nice work though mate :)
Corporal 1st Class Woofinder

Postby DuneMe on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:30 pm

Awesome!!! I can't wait to play!!! Why do I have to have a business trip tomorrow!!!

Thanks for adding this, I remember asking for it a few months ago. Can't wait to check it out.
Major DuneMe

Postby dark nash on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:32 pm

the statement is true about fog of war except in most games this is included in, what has been shown by your armies/units doesn't change if you lose a space unless you regain it
Private 1st Class dark nash

Postby Herakilla on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:32 pm

i like what you did to the instructions but i hope it will be expanded even further and given its own link sometime
Come join us in Live Chat!
Lieutenant Herakilla

Postby Fircoal on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:32 pm

awesome I like the updates. Nice job LAck. Though fog of war is useless in 2 players. :lol: At least I got the 27th fog of war game. :D
Vote: Mandy
Eddie35: hi everyone
Serbia: YOU IDIOT! What is THAT supposed to be? Are you even TRYING to play this game?! Kill the idiot NOW please!
Skoffin wrote: So um.. er... I'll be honest, I don't know what the f*ck to do from here. Goddamnit chu.
Captain Fircoal

thanks

Postby MagicMan on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:37 pm

I have been online for over 10 years now and this is the first and only game site I have considered worth paying for. You, guys do a great job keeping the site running smoothly and improving it constantly. Thanks for another great update.
Colonel MagicMan

Postby Inhuman14 on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:41 pm

Great updates, this kind of thing keeps me a paid member. Keep it up.
Corporal Inhuman14

Postby duday53 on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:41 pm

WOW. Good Job Lack and everybody else in the CC staff.
lalaland wrote:This is what I love about Spamalot... you click on a title to a thread, and you have no idea what you'll find inside...
Sergeant 1st Class duday53

Postby Indigo Wombat on Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:43 pm

Nice features! I like them so far though I haven't had the opportunity to try a fog of war yet.
This account is no longer active.
Lieutenant Indigo Wombat

Next

Return to Announcement Archives