Conquer Club

[09-Jun-2008] Ratings & Medals

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [09-Jun-2008] Ratings & Medals

Postby ICEBEAR on Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:54 pm

Dudes,

I hate the new rating system. After reading the posts I see I am hardly in the minority. I would like to say that the lose of feedback has kinda killed this site for me. I looked at people's feedback before playing with them but now that there is a meaningless rating system I feel that there is no way for serious players to either confirm that a player is a worthy opponent nor is there a way to warn others that someone SUCKS!
Private ICEBEAR

Postby Ray Rider on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:58 am

jiminski wrote:
Ray Rider wrote:
Hound wrote:Based on the ratings I'm seeing, the average seems to be around 4.6 or 4.7 and that's mostly because we have two camps, those that rate 5 unless you do something asinine and those that use 3 unless you deviate either good or bad.

Exactly; and the combination of those to systems has skewed the ratings. I was all in favor of this new feedback system when it was in the works, but now that we have it, I see that there are some fairly major problems with it.

you would just never be happy with whatever system!

Uh, I wasn't complaining--I was just agreeing that there are problems with the new system. I'm happy playing with either feedback system, however I prefer the old one.
Highest score: 2221
Major Ray Rider

Postby cairnswk on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:48 am

I see the new ratings system for up to 5 stars allows a disgruntled player to place a poor rating against your name if you defeat them in a game and they get the shits.
Bit of a bad system if you ask me. I think i'll have to take back my enthusiasm for this ratings system that i had when it came in.
Sorry lack!!!
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby CryWolf on Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:28 am

suggs wrote:
lt.pie wrote:i love the medal idea but im friggin sick of pm"s from players who don"t like the ratings i left them :evil:

Yes, but they are completely separate. Keep the medals/gimmicks, and ditch the ratings.
Isn't it a completely random, inexplicable co=incidence how there are all these server problems since the new system was put in place? Most unfortunate :twisted:

I agree... keep medals, f*ck the ratings
Proud member of Team Bewbiez
Lieutenant CryWolf

Postby JoshyBoy on Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:59 am

zimmah wrote:
JoshyBoy wrote:
zimmah wrote:i gave this person all 3's (like most of the other players i meet) and this is his reply:

DARCOGOAL wrote:zimmah why did you rate me with 3 stars to all? ok it's your rate but attendance 3? why ? have i missed any turn? i don't think! in fact i doubt that there is a single player in CC who has lost just a round so far and this in my first freestyle game!!!!! :?: :?: :?: :?:

i told him, 3 stars is just fine for a normal player and he said:

DARCOGOAL wrote:what a bad humor! never mind though! hope not meeting you again!

:roll:

But yeah come on zimmah! 3 out of 5! Thats giving somebody 60 percent in a test. When the person did everything 100 percent correct you know... i tend to say good luck, chat, and say good game all in my games so that deserves 5 stars for attitude... as much as some one who says gl and gg at the beginning and end of a game and do NOTHING wrong. An overall rating of 3 stars is quite hurtful to some folk when they havent even put a foot wrong
my opinion.. lol which i'm entitled to as everyone is ;)

:D

dude, 3 out of 5 is fucking average average means good enough! 3 is perfectly fine. so live with it. complain and you'll get a 2 the next game for attitude

nearly everyone says good luck, dosn't deserve a 3 in my opinion, as long as they don't do anything out of the ordinairy they don't disserve a 5, it's not even the mods intention to hand of 5 all arround, go read it everywhere on the forum. you should not expect all 5's especially not from me

btw, why does everyone says good luck, but nearly noone sais have fun? about a few years ago on every online game i played everyone said at least 'GLHF' (good luck + have fun. now all you get is 'gl'. i thought a game was still supposed to be fun also? i don't consider anyone wishing you luck AND fun, an above average attitude, let alone an excellent player.

remember:

3 is the standard, if you do nothing to improve it, you'll stay at 3, if you do something good (and not something everyone does like saying gl, gg, or not missing turns, since everyone does that anyway, that's what you're kinda supposed to do) then you'll get a 4, if you do really good, you get a 5 even.

likewise if you do something bad like missing turns or being rude, you'll get a 2, and if you do something really bad you'll even get a 1.

it's as simple as that. a 3 just means you wasn't impressive. nothing wrong with that. if you want a better rating try to impress me first.

waoh girl friend! Calm down! It's my opinion! And I'm fukin entitled to it :lol: to be honest what rating i get doesnt bother me lol chill
drunkmonkey wrote:I honestly wonder why anyone becomes a mod on this site. You're the whiniest bunch of players imaginable.

Ron Burgundy wrote:Why don't you go back to your home on Whore Island?
Lieutenant JoshyBoy

Postby andyk11 on Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:52 pm

Talk about messing up a good thing. The rating system has no prevention against someone giving poor ratings or excellent ratings for every player they play. This rating system lacks the in depth analysis and feed back of the individual comments that were so vital in picking a teamate. Stars are for first graders not for strategic thinkers. I would take a private or a corporal with good strategic thinking and good teamwork skills over a five star general anyday!!! To allow players to leave ratings without articulating the reasons for those ratings is disingenuous. This rating system should be redone with the ability to leave comments. :?
Private 1st Class andyk11

Postby Mr_Adams on Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:15 pm

even if the comment is limited to 25 words or something....
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:55 pm

We hear you guys, don't worry. Stay tuned and perhaps we can craft a system that fits everyone's needs and wants.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby marpesia on Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:59 pm

Okay, so maybe I'm new, or slow, but where do the medals appear when you receive them?
Corporal marpesia

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:24 pm

Once you have tallied enough wins to warrant a medal, they will be both displayed in your profile and below your name, avatar, etc, on the forum.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Mr_Adams on Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:26 pm

marpesia wrote:Okay, so maybe I'm new, or slow, but where do the medals appear when you receive them?

:lol: why do you need to worry about it? It'll be a while before you get one... jk, I haven't played you yet. btw nice Avy.
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby CPTMO on Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:12 am

OK it started for me today. I got some goob that rated me all threes for beating him. 3 on attendance, fairplay, etc... This system is BROKEN. Bring back the feedback.

CPTMO
Colonel CPTMO

Postby cre8tiff on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:38 am

Two weeks in, and yup, it still sux. [-X
===============================================================
Join the Only Give Fives Group (OGFG) It's the next hottest thing! \:D/
===============================================================
Lieutenant cre8tiff

Postby CryWolf on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:57 am

AndyDufresne wrote:We hear you guys, don't worry. Stay tuned and perhaps we can craft a system that fits everyone's needs and wants.

--Andy

and perhaps you can put the %&!#ing system back the way it was.... Doesn't take a damn rocket scientist.
Proud member of Team Bewbiez
Lieutenant CryWolf

Postby Blitzaholic on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Magiw wrote:Nice suggestion Blitz, should toss it in the suggestion section so it doesn't get lost in the mud.

ty, I did somewhere and pm'd steelhorse to pass along
General Blitzaholic

Postby Mr_Adams on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:39 pm

Four20 wrote:thanks for nothing punk. Nice ratings ya leave me bitch, i'll smoke your ass anytime in this game. You suck

This is what I get for leaving somebody 11/15 stars. This is why the new rating system sucks.

and then

Four20 wrote:my fairplay, attendance and attitude were excellent, f*ck you
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby jiminski on Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:14 pm

Mr_Adams wrote:
Four20 wrote:thanks for nothing punk. Nice ratings ya leave me bitch, i'll smoke your ass anytime in this game. You suck

This is what I get for leaving somebody 11/15 stars. This is why the new rating system sucks.

and then

Four20 wrote:my fairplay, attendance and attitude were excellent, f*ck you

well i hope you gave him a 5 for Attitude, the fella is a charmer!
Captain jiminski

Postby Mr_Adams on Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:19 pm

I gave him a four. If I play him again, I'm changing it to a 0
Captain Mr_Adams

Postby azezzo on Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:16 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:We hear you guys, don't worry. Stay tuned and perhaps we can craft a system that fits everyone's needs and wants.

--Andy

thanks for taking us seriously
Captain azezzo

Postby Orwell on Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:03 am

So, I am against the change (as I stated about 40 posts ago) because I do not think we can quantify what these ratings mean - Personally, I found a method of feedback that was both consistent and specific whether positive or negative (I am not a fan of neutral).
After a couple weeks of this rating system, I think I understand even better now why I am against it: I consider a 5 rating is average and anything less to be "flawed" - basically, I can evaluate other players starting at 5 and deduct from there as I see fit.

Now, if I could make a hybrid of this system and the old, and CC wanted it to be a rating system - then make the first criteria to be either positive or negative and then a rating system of 1-5. That is, at the very least, quantifiable.
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better." - Samuel Beckett, Worstward Ho
Corporal Orwell

Postby Trouserpants on Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:02 am

Wow, I got my first retaliatory rating today for anyone who thought the system disallowed it. The guy obviously knew I wasn't happy with him and that I was going to rate him lowly, so he whacked me with 1 stars all round pre-emptivly. I did nothing wrong in the game. Brilliant.
Sergeant 1st Class Trouserpants

Postby VermiciousDad on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:48 am

Besides for my recommendation to drop the lowest and highest rating, I also think that some verbage should be required. I am getting ratings from guys that slam my "fair play" and I would love to know why...

Keep up the good work!
Corporal 1st Class VermiciousDad

Postby jiminski on Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:50 am

Trouserpants wrote:Wow, I got my first retaliatory rating today for anyone who thought the system disallowed it. The guy obviously knew I wasn't happy with him and that I was going to rate him lowly, so he whacked me with 1 stars all round pre-emptivly. I did nothing wrong in the game. Brilliant.

if you forget it exists, it is much more calming.
Captain jiminski

Postby bayou on Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:24 am

This just gives the ability for a player pissed off because you beat him to rate you low without having to explain it.
And we have no chance of calling the player on it because there is no place for feedback.
Private bayou

Postby jiminski on Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:36 am

bayou wrote:This just gives the ability for a player pissed off because you beat him to rate you low without having to explain it.
And we have no chance of calling the player on it because there is no place for feedback.

I think i agree.. and with a little tweak i.e. perhaps the addition of Comment/feedback? the system may be improved.

Come and give your input and have a vote if you like: Community Moderated Comment Forum
Captain jiminski

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives