Conquer Club

[09-Jun-2008] Ratings & Medals

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [09-Jun-2008] Ratings & Medals

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:52 pm

Special Contribution...is exactly that. It's hard to say it is any one thing...as many things are applicable.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Postby Esn on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:53 pm

rocky mountain wrote:there you go. now you can know what will be done to the site. it doesn't take very long to read through the suggestions and post something

The best way to get community feedback on this was NOT to post the idea on the forums, but to test it out for a week or something and see how people reacted.

I'll bet that most people who use CC don't use the forums much, and most people missed that thread.
Sergeant 1st Class Esn

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby DiM on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:54 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Special Contribution...is exactly that. It's hard to say it is any one thing...as many things are applicable.

--Andy

i think the mods and the main gm script developers deserve the special contribution medal.

but how about the map medal and tourney medal, why don't they work?
i assume they have to be edited manually since the games can be updated automatically but the maps and tourneys can't. am i right?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby rocky mountain on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:55 pm

i was saying for future reference! i know lots of people don't use the forums, but they can know to know whats going to be updated.
best: place 2349; points 1617; GP 216; GW 102(47%); Lieutenant
Sergeant 1st Class rocky mountain

Standard Achievement (2)

Postby Limey Lyons on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:57 pm

don't be an tool, rocky mountain - most people don''t have the time nor the inclination to peruse the forums. most people are here to play on a great site. people like us are posting now because we feel strongly that this set of changes, in particular regard to losing the old feedback system, is a HUGE mistake.
Brigadier Limey Lyons

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby Esn on Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:57 pm

Beastly wrote:The feedback system sucked because peoples opinions suck. I am glad you did away with that.

Huh? This NEW system is ALSO based entirely upon people's opinions. The difference this time is that you can't tell whose opinions suck and whose opinions are reasonable (you could usually tell based on the writing style, e.g. "OMG HE SUCKED" vs. "This player played poorly and ruined it for the team, as in the case where he...").
Sergeant 1st Class Esn

Postby faccio on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:00 pm

i totally agree with what esn said. That was exactly what i was thinking, that feedback comments were a lot more specific and could really help someone decide whether or not to play that member. It seems that 4 ratings will make it more confusing and iffy as to whether or not someone is a good player. Also as someone else said, I think it could happen that someone with bad ratings would never have anyone playing him. Personally, I liked feedback better... but I'll try and give this a chance...
Private faccio

Medals: 4
Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby dalliance on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:02 pm

i want my feedback back :(
Sergeant 1st Class dalliance

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2)

Postby rocky mountain on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:02 pm

so if you want the mods to test things out for a week, you can put that in suggestions and bug reports and they will consider it (hopefully they will use it because i agree with you on that part)
however, i do think that this is a good update, but it will also be abused just like the original feedback.

Standard Achievement (2)

Postby EmpressMage on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:03 pm

I agree either go back to the old system or add a 'note' section to the feedback, it really was quite entertaining to read while waiting for your turn. And I do believe most people come here to play the game, not chat in the forums. But all in all I LOVE the changes! Great Job!
Private EmpressMage

Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Postby rocky mountain on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:03 pm

the feedback is still there. if you look under profile it says "view users feedback." it won't be there forever though.

Standard Achievement (2)

Postby EmpressMage on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:05 pm

I understand, but as everyone else has stated before me. there is no real way to leave any now.
Private EmpressMage

Medals: 1
Standard Achievement (1)

Postby CPTMO on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:06 pm

I hate that we have lost all of the feedback left and gained previously. I do think that there is some merit to the new system, but there could be some pitfalls as well.

Plus - Quick and easy to leave feeback via stars for others.

Minus - Everyone is starting with a clean slate and there are some real #*()+@ out there that deserve the feedback that they had. 1-5 systems are also somewhat unreliable. I anticipate there will be a lot of people with 3 star ratings. A 1-10 system allows some additional variability statistically. I also anticipate a problem in which bitter losers will rate winners poorly with no reasons as to why this makes it difficult to dispute.

Just my thoughts. Thanks for continuing to work toward improvement.
Colonel CPTMO

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (4)

Postby rocky mountain on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:08 pm

just so people know, there is a wall where you leave comments that is just as easy to get to as the old feedback was. i know people can delete from their own wall, but at least its something...

Standard Achievement (2)

Postby Hugh-G-Rekshun on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:08 pm

Very Cool!
Cadet Hugh-G-Rekshun

Postby rocky mountain on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:10 pm

CPTMO wrote:I hate that we have lost all of the feedback left and gained previously.

its not lost! you can still view it under profile.

Standard Achievement (2)

Postby Esn on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:10 pm

CPTMO wrote:I also anticipate a problem in which bitter losers will rate winners poorly with no reasons as to why this makes it difficult to dispute.

Hmm. Yeah, it makes it harder to tell when someone's just bitter. Especially since you can't "reply" to ratings like you could to specific accusations.
Sergeant 1st Class Esn

Postby Limey Lyons on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:11 pm

rocky mountain wrote:just so people know, there is a wall where you leave comments that is just as easy to get to as the old feedback was. i know people can delete from their own wall, but at least its something...

the fact that you can delete comments made renders it useless for feedback purposes.
Brigadier Limey Lyons

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)

Postby fapostolo on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:12 pm

THINK IS A better system but id like to see my comments 1 more time couldnt u guys have warned before, if u did i didnt notices lol, if u have patience retrieve it for me and pm it lol :)
Lieutenant fapostolo

Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby MasterGuns on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:15 pm

Everything is good EXCEPT for losing our FEEDBACK!

Here are my reasons:

1) Having a very Negative record is good for other players to see who dont want play games with players of bad character, those who deadbeat in games or make rude or obscene comments.
2) Having a very Positive record shows other players you are someone enjoyable to play with.
3) Some players such as myself take pride in having 74 Positive Feedback comments and 0 negative comments.
4) Feedback describes exactly what the issue was, therefore I can look at a plyers feedback prior to joining a game and see exactly what issues others had with him/her.
5) Feedback allows players to more accurately describe & document what the issue is with another player, while the thoughts are still fresh in mind. Therefore the abusers are caught and booted early on.

My Solutions:

1) add a comments section below the ranking selections.
2) add an advanced comments section where you can check off boxes which explain in a little more detail to what your issue is with the other player. ie abuse, obscenities, cheating, suspected double account, suspected secret alliance, deadbeat 3+ rounds, deadbeated last two rounds after player saw he was losing, player goes suicidal when losing, player rude to others, player obnoxious in game chat, player agreed to rt but never followed through, player forms allainces as soon as the game starts, player is sexist or racist, etc.
3) Translate a players current Feedback results into percentages based on numbers of positive comments per games along with a percentage based on positive comments vs negative. Then take the percentage results and creat a New Medal such as the Good Conduct Medal, a Sportsmanship Medal or maybe a Medal of Honor which you would get from having good conduct plus excellent play rankings.
4) Create two Leagues: One for Premium Members and one for Non-Premium Members. (the reason I suggest this is because people who pay up for premium ussually dont break the rules as much because they have something to lose. Therefore, I can start a game for random players to join who are only premium and on average are more respectful players.) This would also be an incentive to purchase premium.
5) break down feedback rankings into 3 or 4 teirs which you could choose what teir level can join your games in the start a game options.

Regards,
MasterGuns
Lieutenant MasterGuns

Medals: 46
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (6)

Postby Limey Lyons on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:16 pm

i've said my piece. one more thing before i go;

reading other players negative feedback was by far the most fun thing to do on this site besides playing. now that you've taken it away i'm very disappointed and i know that many many others will be too.

Limey Out!
Brigadier Limey Lyons

Postby rocky mountain on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:16 pm

fapostolo wrote:THINK IS A better system but id like to see my comments 1 more time couldnt u guys have warned before, if u did i didnt notices lol, if u have patience retrieve it for me and pm it lol :)

i've probably said this like 5 times but here it is again: feedback is still viewable under profile.

Standard Achievement (2)

Postby dalliance on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:19 pm

hey... my feedback IS still there... that means we can go back... right?
Sergeant 1st Class dalliance

Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2)

Postby rocky mountain on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:20 pm

we might if there is enough complaints. i'm not a mod, so i don't know for sure... i think there should be both. i'm not against the old feedback, and i'm not against this update either.

Standard Achievement (2)

Postby CPTMO on Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:20 pm

MasterGuns wrote:Everything is good EXCEPT for losing our FEEDBACK!

Here are my reasons:

1) Having a very Negative record is good for other players to see who dont want play games with players of bad character, those who deadbeat in games or make rude or obscene comments.
2) Having a very Positive record shows other players you are someone enjoyable to play with.
3) Some players such as myself take pride in having 74 Positive Feedback comments and 0 negative comments.
4) Feedback describes exactly what the issue was, therefore I can look at a plyers feedback prior to joining a game and see exactly what issues others had with him/her.
5) Feedback allows players to more accurately describe & document what the issue is with another player, while the thoughts are still fresh in mind. Therefore the abusers are caught and booted early on.

My Solutions:

1) add a comments section below the ranking selections.
2) add an advanced comments section where you can check off boxes which explain in a little more detail to what your issue is with the other player. ie abuse, obscenities, cheating, suspected double account, suspected secret alliance, deadbeat 3+ rounds, deadbeated last two rounds after player saw he was losing, player goes suicidal when losing, player rude to others, player obnoxious in game chat, player agreed to rt but never followed through, player forms allainces as soon as the game starts, player is sexist or racist, etc.
3) Translate a players current Feedback results into percentages based on numbers of positive comments per games along with a percentage based on positive comments vs negative. Then take the percentage results and creat a New Medal such as the Good Conduct Medal, a Sportsmanship Medal or maybe a Medal of Honor which you would get from having good conduct plus excellent play rankings.
4) Create two Leagues: One for Premium Members and one for Non-Premium Members. (the reason I suggest this is because people who pay up for premium ussually dont break the rules as much because they have something to lose. Therefore, I can start a game for random players to join who are only premium and on average are more respectful players.) This would also be an incentive to purchase premium.
5) break down feedback rankings into 3 or 4 teirs which you could choose what teir level can join your games in the start a game options.

Regards,
MasterGuns

VERY good suggestions MasterGuns. How about if you had to leave a comment anytime you left a 1 or 5. That would make sure that people leaving really high or really low had to tell why?
Colonel CPTMO

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (4)

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives