Conquer Club

[10-Jul-2008] Downtime yesterday

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: [10-Jul-2008] Downtime yesterday

Postby Assassin07 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:30 pm

ya goood thing u got it in time lack
IF YOU JOIN MULTIPLE OF MY 2 PLAYER GAMES AND FIND YOURSELF FOED IT IS ONLY TEMPORARY I AM ON A MEDAL HUNT.
-ASSASSIN07
Cook Assassin07

Postby KLOBBER on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:40 pm

Twill wrote:
KLOBBER wrote:A better plan would be having no server interruptions, wouldn't it?

Now I wonder why we didn't think of that plan...

So do I, since your plan so far seems to have been to wait impotently for the next downtime, then "as always," apologize to us, just as impotently.

It's an embarrassing display to watch.
KLOBBER's Highest Score: 3642 (General)

KLOBBER's Highest place on scoreboard: #15 (fifteen) out of 20,000+ players.

For info about winning, click here.
Private 1st Class KLOBBER

Postby john9blue on Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:08 pm

KLOBBER wrote:
Twill wrote:
KLOBBER wrote:A better plan would be having no server interruptions, wouldn't it?

So do I, since your plan so far seems to have been to wait impotently for the next downtime, then "as always," apologize to us, just as impotently.

Well, of course they couldn't do anything, it was the fault of the hosting company, not CC.

And it's probably harder than you can imagine having to switch servers. It's not something that can be done in the blink of an eye. Maybe when you make your own online game with thousands of players, then you won't sound like such an idiot. :P
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby KLOBBER on Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:23 am

john9blue wrote:
KLOBBER wrote:
Twill wrote:

Well, of course they couldn't do anything, it was the fault of the hosting company, not CC.

And it's probably harder than you can imagine having to switch servers. It's not something that can be done in the blink of an eye. Maybe when you make your own online game with thousands of players, then you won't sound like such an idiot. :P

LOL!

Maybe if I was a computer nerd, that scenario would be remotely possible, but in reality, it ain't happening!

ROFLMFAO!!!

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:14 pm

Dont make me move this to the Flame Wars Twill! Play nice. [-X
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Postby t-o-m on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:53 pm

Major t-o-m

Postby cleveridea on Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:18 pm

john9blue wrote:Well, of course they couldn't do anything, it was the fault of the hosting company, not CC.

I think everyone gets their money's worth on this site to be sure. However, that said, this statement is inaccurate. Because it is CC fault that they chose (and continue to choose) such an incompetent data center that tends to drop power unexpectedly in an era where UPS exists, because it is CC fault they use a database product that gets corrupted with data loss when power is lost unexpectedly in an era when multiple database products can and will reliably preserve all committed transactions given enough administrative dedication.

The cause of this particular incident may have been rooted in the hosting company, but the fault is squarely on CC. And, I think this is what Lack has said in his public relations transparency - so don't try to shift responsibility when doing so isn't neccessary and no one is asking you to do so.
Corporal 1st Class cleveridea

Postby KLOBBER on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:18 pm

Twill wrote:

Congratulations!

Unfortunately, merely thinking of an acceptable plan while doing nothing does not solve the problem.

It's well past time to implement it.

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:27 pm

Thanks for quoting it twice, Klobber. ;)

Rackspace, over the time we've used their services, has had some exceptional service (during upgrades they were great, in addition to other times). As Twill mentioned, we are prepared to explore alternate options to find the best service for the buck.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby hulmey on Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:40 am

AndyDufresne wrote:Thanks for quoting it twice, Klobber. ;)

Rackspace, over the time we've used their services, has had some exceptional service (during upgrades they were great, in addition to other times). As Twill mentioned, we are prepared to explore alternate options to find the best service for the buck.

--Andy

dont worry andy, klobber is just showing what an uneducated person he really is. Not even these huge and very wealthy Poker companies can provide a service like this 24/7
[img]http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/9761/41922610151374166770386.jpg[/mg]
Lieutenant hulmey

Postby KLOBBER on Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:13 am

hulmey wrote:dont worry andy, klobber is just showing what an uneducated person he really is. Not even these huge and very wealthy Poker companies can provide a service like this 24/7

On the contrary, it is uneducated to think that it's impossible to keep a website running for more than 7 straight days, as your above post states.

This is not Gilligan's Island.

Postby millertime13 on Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:33 am

Not knowing how Rackspace's operation is set up, I can tell you from working experience, computer (server rooms) and labs require a tremendous dedication of equipment to keep them alive and well. The cooling systems in particular are a real bear if not set with a redundant system (130% minimum load capability v. actual load). And the electrical is even more of a nightmare, a UPS system for such is more than a kicker box. Generators, phase sequencer, auto changeover switchgears, and a battery room...all require more constant cooling, proper humidification levels and the scrutiny of a team of qualified engineers and techs.

The only ones that have the resources to keep up with these demands are Banks/Financial Co's/Insurance and Military. Or you find the newest built to handle commercial traffic, more likely to have the design and operation bugs fixed.
Give a man fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life.
Captain millertime13

Postby adul on Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:26 pm

Rackspace is fully managed hosting isn't it? If not, maybe you will want to take a look at Softlayer. Moved there over 2 years ago after getting tired of theplanet's crap. Been a very happy customer since then, we even upgraded our server to a quad core Xeon 4gb of ram, 500gb of hard disk space on a special they had. Server has not had any downtime since last November when it was first turned on. They been very solid on their support and offer some great tools to manage your machines. Even on the previous server when we had an issue with the cpu fan dying, they took care of it without us having to tell them to.

Just something to keep in mind. :)
Cadet adul

Previous

Return to Announcement Archives