Conquer Club

Classic: Shapes and Classic: Art

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!
Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Classic: Shapes and Classic: Art

Postby porkenbeans on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:28 pm

serata wrote:
These have been my susp. and conclusions as well. It is plain to see that Lack and his crew have been very busy running around, doing everything they can to differentiate CC from ''RISK''. I believe that this is a knee jerk reaction. I would say to my friends lack & crew, Grab a beer, kick off your shoes, and spend the time it takes, to drink said beer, to ponder this... What if you were to offer, to sell CC, to Hasbro. They would have to pay a big chunk of change to develop and then run there own site. You and your crew have already done the work. so you know that they might want to consider an offer. Lack, you could also neg. To stay on as C.E.O. and hire all those pros. that you've always wanted. You could also have the funds to pay you and your crew a much nicer salary. ... :-k 8-) \:D/

That's awfully optimistic about mega-corporations taking over small independent websites :D

I think the Classic Art is a wonderful solution. It still gives me a bit of a migraine to look at it, but it's so infinitely better than the Classic Shapes quick fix. And it's not as if they've changed the numbers like they had in Shapes. Obviously, the classic board is what attracted me to the website, it looked so sleek, and it's sad we had to lose that great work of art, but in terms of a compromise I don't think they could have done better.
First off, Hasbro is a pretty big company, but I would NOT call them ''mega''. Second, The new maps are fine, but, the real reason that people come here is to play ''RISK''. If Hasbro came out with their own site, CC would dry up and blow away. The only people left, would be, all the farmers and multies. Face the facts. ''RISK'' is what made this site. When people google risk they are indeed, ...GOING to go to the Hasbro site. Along with, I might add, a majority of CC players. I would personaly want to stay. Call it loyalty if you wish, but this FREE-mium is greatfull. However, ...if the Hasbro site were to be structured in a way, That did not allow for cheating, farming, etc., Then I would be the first to, I'm sad to say, ... jump ship. :(
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby redhawk92 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:08 pm

i would stay i love cc
Captain redhawk92

Postby fishydance on Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:18 pm

cardinal wrote:The biggest problem I have is "assaulting". It makes me feel dirty. I am not saying I have a better word for it, just that it makes me a little uncomfortable.

My sentiments as well. It also feels dirty to be the one assaulted. Makes me want to slap the person assaulting me and tell him to keep his hands to himself! :lol:
Major fishydance
Clan Director
Clan Director

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:07 pm

I like the classic art version better. It is easier to read, for one thing.

But, I wish we had "tropies" or "chits" instead of "spoils" .. but hey.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby BluU on Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:49 am

on the home page of the site the classic shapes map is shown with the bonuses as they were for short period
"Asia" = 8, "N. America" = 7

as the bonuses were changed back to be as the classic, I guess that the map in the front page should reflect that...
Major BluU

Postby Gregrios on Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:40 pm

Hey Lack, I don't know if you're aware of it but there's a version where Africa has only two borders.(North Africa and Egypt) In this version East Africa does not connect to Asia or any other continent for that matter. To me, it's a better way anyway because it's only worth one extra bonus than South America and you have to take control of two more countries while having the same amount of borders. Anyways, the benefits of it arn't my point. My point is that this might provide you with just the right loop hole inorder to restore the Classic to it's rightful state. Maybe this idea combined with other ideas people have suggested or by it's self might just do the trick, either way it's your decision. I don't think I have to tell you how important the Classic is to the growth of this site.
Things are now unfolding that only prophecy can explain!
Sergeant Gregrios

Postby sammy324 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:38 pm

I feel like a great number of the issues people have with the Shapes and Art maps are related not to the absence of the world map, but rather the difficulty and un-artsyness of the replacements. I, for one, dislike them because it is not intuitive, and it doesn't really make sense to me. I cannot remember which shape represents which continent, etc. Maybe after a few more games I will start to catch on, but that brings me to my second point. Both replacements are, to put it bluntly, ugly. I know that they are clever, and were put together rather quickly, and I give the makers credit for that, but they still are not as visually pleasing as as the 100 other maps. Anything to help the maps look better, from changing the colors around, to giving the territory better shapes would improve the map for me.

In the meantime, I'm getting along without them, and I still enjoy playing other maps. The silver lining is that I've been able to play on maps that I had not tried before, precisely because I chose not to play games on the classic maps.

Has anybody thought of splitting the world down the Atlantic, and putting the Americas on the eastern half, and Europe and Africa in the west? It may not be enough of a loophole, but we could try it.
Corporal 1st Class sammy324

Postby GrimReaper. on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:40 pm

lackattack wrote:Fellow Conkies,

I want to apologize for the way things went down when, without any warning, we replaced our beloved Classic map with the "lucky charms" version. Same for the unusual way we came up with the Art version. Normally, we like to run things transparently and seek community input before making major website changes. This time that wasn't an option. Any further changes to these maps is also not an option. Believe me, I would love to bring back the original Classic as much as you do, but that is not in the best interest of our club.

I'd like to thank the "Star Chamber" for their stellar contribution - designing Classic: Art in just 12 hours to give all of us an interesting alternative to Classic: Shapes. I'd also like to thank the Map Foundry and all of you that showed support and patience during this period.

Now it's time for me to shift my focus back towards programming new features :ugeek:

Long live the Conquer Club!

what no announcement of details
u should be ashamed... [-X
When the first Atom bomb test was complete a colleague of Oppenheimer said: "What an Awesome and Foul display of Power." a moment later he added, "Now we are all sons of bitches"
Private GrimReaper.

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:35 am

porkenbeans wrote:
friendly1 wrote:Actually, copyright law is a very complex game.

The rule of thumb is if a corporate entity has placed funds into a name or symbol, and has thus created goodwill (in the form of advertising revenue) then no other entity is entitled to gains from using said name or symbol without paying a mutually negotiated fee.

I'm certain Lack will have checked with legal counsel, and is taking the best route possible - the one which avoids a lawsuit with a very large corporate entity who has a great deal of experience in both copyright and trademark infringement.

For those of you bashing Hasbro, I suspect Lack received a cease and desist notice: meaning remove the materials protected by copyright or trademark immediately, or suffer the legal consequences. This is a method corporations use to be nice... They are well within their rights to bypass this, and simply sue for infringement as well as damages based on all revenue derived from use of copyrighted or trademarked items.

Things are not always as simple as they seem, and while I hope Conquer Club has resources enough to handle a serious lawsuit, I suspect there was NO choice in the matter in order for it to continue.

I also would prefer to have the original maps, I quite enjoyed them. They most definitely are a thing of the past, and (my opinion once again) its possible we should be happy this was the only consequence (although we may not be aware of other financial requirements which had to be met as well)

My 2 cents

friendly1
These have been my susp. and conclusions as well. It is plain to see that Lack and his crew have been very busy running around, doing everything they can to differentiate CC from ''RISK''. I believe that this is a knee jerk reaction. I would say to my friends lack & crew, Grab a beer, kick off your shoes, and spend the time it takes, to drink said beer, to ponder this... What if you were to offer, to sell CC, to Hasbro. They would have to pay a big chunk of change to develop and then run there own site. You and your crew have already done the work. so you know that they might want to consider an offer. Lack, you could also neg. To stay on as C.E.O. and hire all those pros. that you've always wanted. You could also have the funds to pay you and your crew a much nicer salary. ... :-k 8-) \:D/
Did you consider, or maybe already concidered my suggestion ? Lack.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby oaktown on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:51 am

Not much we can do in the Foundry about the classic map right now, but the Centerscape situation is looking up! :D

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=70130
Captain oaktown

Postby TheTeacher on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:39 pm

azezzo wrote:piss off!

so your saying screw all the people who became paying customers to this site so that they could play the classic map.

azezzo wrote:lack i have a question for you, this site is almost 3 years old, at what point did you realize that getting rid of the classic map was a very real possibility? I doubt that it was only last week.
I'm guessing that your contingency plan was just create more maps, hope that the masses wouldnt mind losing 1 map when there was soooooo many other maps to play.
but what about all the members who joined this site for the classic map?
you have the stats, there have been more than a million classic games played on this site, thats about 1/3 'rd of all games

As others have stated, copyright law is basically saying CC can't take advantage of the reputation that Hasbro has spent good money building up around RISK for its own purposes, without permision (which it doesn't have). The point here is to disassociate CC from RISK. Basically, under copyright law, CC shouldn't be able to take advantage of RISK to get that 1/3rd of all games you mentioned, and the traffic it brings.
Captain TheTeacher

Postby porkenbeans on Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:45 pm

TheTeacher wrote:

so your saying screw all the people who became paying customers to this site so that they could play the classic map.

azezzo wrote:lack i have a question for you, this site is almost 3 years old, at what point did you realize that getting rid of the classic map was a very real possibility? I doubt that it was only last week.
I'm guessing that your contingency plan was just create more maps, hope that the masses wouldnt mind losing 1 map when there was soooooo many other maps to play.
you have the stats, there have been more than a million classic games played on this site, thats about 1/3 'rd of all games

As others have stated, copyright law is basically saying CC can't take advantage of the reputation that Hasbro has spent good money building up around RISK for its own purposes, without permision (which it doesn't have). The point here is to disassociate CC from RISK. Basically, under copyright law, CC shouldn't be able to take advantage of RISK to get that 1/3rd of all games you mentioned, and the traffic it brings.
Google ''risk'' and you will see CC. ...enough said. except that, This is Hasbros' game. I dont care how you try to discise it. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70057#p1705236
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:36 pm

porkenbeans wrote:
TheTeacher wrote:

Google ''risk'' and you will see CC. ...enough said. except that, This is Hasbros' game. I dont care how you try to discise it. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70057#p1705236

You have to look at it from the companies' perspective. If they allow some people to use their copyrighted material, then they must let EVERYONE use it. So, they have to crack down when things get to a certain point. Initially, either CC just escaped their radar, probably becuase the internet is still fairly new (comparatively speaking). OR, they had some kind of "behind the scenes"/"don't tell anyone, but..." deal with Lack (HIGHLY doubtful!!!) or they just waited until it got to a certain size (most likely) before they decided to bother suing. It is also possible that Hasbro is about to launch its own on-line version and so while it was not competition before, now it is. (this is HIGHLY probable... though I have no specific knowledge to that effect.)
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby TheTeacher on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:29 pm

porkenbeans wrote:Google ''risk'' and you will see CC. ...enough said. except that, This is Hasbros' game. I dont care how you try to discise it. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70057#p1705236

This is incorrect. Depending on ur browser settings, and settings if you have google applications like Google Desktop installed on ur computer, google tries to find pages relavant to you by looking for pages similar to those you have visited or clicked on from Google search pages or in your browser history. If you go to a library and use a computer there that hasn't visited CC before to search for "risk", CC is many pages back, not counting the occasional CC ad that shows up once every few pages in the "sponsored links" section on the right.
Captain TheTeacher

Postby porkenbeans on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:31 pm

TheTeacher wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:Google ''risk'' and you will see CC. ...enough said. except that, This is Hasbros' game. I dont care how you try to discise it. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70057#p1705236

This is incorrect. Depending on ur browser settings, and settings if you have google applications like Google Desktop installed on ur computer, google tries to find pages relavant to you by looking for pages similar to those you have visited or clicked on from Google search pages or in your browser history. If you go to a library and use a computer there that hasn't visited CC before to search for "risk", CC is many pages back, not counting the occasional CC ad that shows up once every few pages in the "sponsored links" section on the right.
Also, Key words are used by websites to attract customers. But the point that I was trying to make is, Out of the 1/4 million people that have been through these doors, most got here by searching ''RISK''. They wanted to play THAT game. The success of CC is directly due to this fact. And here is another fact, As soon as they are in the door, They are pounced upon by the juvenile gang of farmers. It does not take long for many to get discouraged and quit. For the life of me, I can not understand why the lack man would cater to these farmers and cheats, over the prospect of retaining the new customers. The farmers are like a group of cavemen, hiding and waiting for some un-aware animal to fall into their trap. CC even helps them in laying the trap by making the default setting in start a game, Freestyle. The farmers are just like those cavemen. They are just not bright enough to play this game. They are, however, just bright enough to figure out how to shot fish in a barrel. :lol:
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby porkenbeans on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:36 pm

TheTeacher wrote:

Also, Key words are used by websites to attract customers. But the point that I was trying to make is, Out of the 1/4 million people that have been through these doors, most got here by searching ''RISK''. They wanted to play THAT game. The success of CC is directly due to this fact. And here is another fact, As soon as they are in the door, They are pounced upon by the juvenile gang of farmers. It does not take long for many to get discouraged and quit. For the life of me, I can not understand why the lack man would cater to these farmers and cheats, over the prospect of retaining the new customers. The farmers are like a group of cavemen, hiding and waiting for some un-aware animal to fall into their trap. CC even helps them in laying the trap by making the default setting in start a game, Freestyle. The farmers are just like those cavemen. They are not bright enough to play the game of risk. They are, however, just bright enough to figure out how to shot fish in a barrel. :lol:
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby TheTeacher on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:12 pm

the thing you bring up about the default setting being freestyle is interesting. But i disagree with your point, I think most of the people here heard about it from friends. As I mentioned, just searching for "risk" online doesn't effectively lead to CC. I personally found CC because a friend of mine mentioned it in their status, and I was bored and looked it up, and played a game, and was instantly hooked, not because I love risk, although I do enjoy the boardgame, but because i found playing these online "world domination" games fun, and the World 2.1 map (my favorite, i just have a thing w/ large maps) was awesome to play on, even though I lost my first several games. :D
Captain TheTeacher

Postby porkenbeans on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:22 pm

TheTeacher wrote:the thing you bring up about the default setting being freestyle is interesting. But i disagree with your point, I think most of the people here heard about it from friends. As I mentioned, just searching for "risk" online doesn't effectively lead to CC. I personally found CC because a friend of mine mentioned it in their status, and I was bored and looked it up, and played a game, and was instantly hooked, not because I love risk, although I do enjoy the boardgame, but because i found playing these online "world domination" games fun, and the World 2.1 map (my favorite, i just have a thing w/ large maps) was awesome to play on, even though I lost my first several games. :D
I love that board too. It is awesome. What you do not understand is, RISK has been around for over 50 years. It is played worldwide. There are literaly millions of people that have enjoyed this great game. That pre-knowledge of the game, IS, indeed what brought the bulk of the players here. If you are a somewhat young person, I can understand how you may not know this. If you are an old fart like me, I'll just say, ...Where have YOU been ?
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby TheTeacher on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:32 pm

*sigh* i definitly qualify for young person. i see you're point now. I guess a lot of people telling their friends about CC probably explain that it's like an awesome online version of risk.
Captain TheTeacher

Postby porkenbeans on Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:23 pm

TheTeacher wrote:*sigh* i definitly qualify for young person. i see you're point now. I guess a lot of people telling their friends about CC probably explain that it's like an awesome online version of risk.
Yes, my young friend. Lack took one of the most popular board games ever invented, And put it online. If all of the previous risk players found out about this site, There would be 50 million new members tomorrow. :o :D But I am sad to say, most would very quickly get discouraged and quit.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby #1Buckeye on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:53 am

I just happened to stumble across this site...guess I was lucky
Sergeant 1st Class #1Buckeye

Postby #1Buckeye on Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:56 am

I don't care what terms they use...concept is the same and the site is great...my personal favorite over my fantasy football and baseball leagues or poker sites.
Sergeant 1st Class #1Buckeye

Postby kerntheconkerer on Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:04 pm

porkenbeans wrote:
TheTeacher wrote:

Also, Key words are used by websites to attract customers. But the point that I was trying to make is, Out of the 1/4 million people that have been through these doors, most got here by searching ''RISK''. They wanted to play THAT game. The success of CC is directly due to this fact. And here is another fact, As soon as they are in the door, They are pounced upon by the juvenile gang of farmers. It does not take long for many to get discouraged and quit. For the life of me, I can not understand why the lack man would cater to these farmers and cheats, over the prospect of retaining the new customers. The farmers are like a group of cavemen, hiding and waiting for some un-aware animal to fall into their trap. CC even helps them in laying the trap by making the default setting in start a game, Freestyle. The farmers are just like those cavemen. They are just not bright enough to play this game. They are, however, just bright enough to figure out how to shot fish in a barrel. :lol:

interesting analogy. Maybe a little extreme, because noobs don't have to play team games. When I started all i did was play 1v1s because It was what I was most familiar to after playing the real game.
"Why so Serious?"
<(‘.’<) ^(‘.’)^ (>’.’)>
Corporal 1st Class kerntheconkerer

Postby porkenbeans on Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:41 pm

kerntheconkerer wrote:
porkenbeans wrote:
TheTeacher wrote:

interesting analogy. Maybe a little extreme, because noobs don't have to play team games. When I started all i did was play 1v1s because It was what I was most familiar to after playing the real game.
Who said anything about team games ? Check rabbiton, he has over 200 straight wins farming 1v1 noobs.
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Previous

Return to Announcement Archives