Conquer Club

Flame Wars Removed

Archival storage for Announcements. Peruse old Announcements here!

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Flame Wars Removed

Postby ganguscalm on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:46 pm

GOOD RIDDANCE FLAME WARS ! , don't let the door hit you in the assassin games are pretty cool ! 8-)
Corporal 1st Class ganguscalm

Postby neanderpaul14 on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:24 am

mpjh wrote: My experience is that people are fairly civilized.

Wait a minute I'm confused I thought you lived in America.
High score: 2724
/#163 on scoreboard/COLONEL
Cook neanderpaul14

Location: "Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy if possible." - Thomas J. Jackson

Postby a.sub on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:29 am

neanderpaul14 wrote:
mpjh wrote: My experience is that people are fairly civilized.

Wait a minute I'm confused I thought you lived in America.

10% of america are the extremist retards that give us a bad name
Cadet a.sub

Postby Artimis on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:40 am

a.sub wrote:100% of america are the extremist retards

You missed a zero, I've fixed that for you. :D
==================================================
This post was sponsored by Far-Q Industries.

Far-Q Industries: Telling you where to go since 2008.
Captain Artimis

Postby KLOBBER on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:52 am

mpjh wrote:Frankly, I don't see the problem now that flaming is not allowed. My experience is that people are fairly civilized, with the predictable exceptions who are fewer and fewer each day.

Well said!
KLOBBER's Highest Score: 3642 (General)

KLOBBER's Highest place on scoreboard: #15 (fifteen) out of 20,000+ players.

For info about winning, click here.
Private 1st Class KLOBBER

Postby Stroop on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:19 am

thegreekdog wrote:
Woodruff wrote:I certainly agree with you "then don't go there" position, as that is the position I have always personally taken. However, I have seen arguments regarding why Flame Wars was removed (though I don't know that it was from anyone "official"). Frankly, it doesn't help the image that Flame Wars does in fact give to the site. That image almost certainly does cost the site some money (how much I just as certainly have no idea), and I'm pretty sure that is largely the logic that was used in the decision. Many parents wouldn't feel comfortable with allowing their children to frequent a site that included such a forum. Many of those same parents would certainly be willing to pay $25 for a year's entertainment for their child.

I would agree with this reason, and I would be fine with it, except that the comfortability of parents is as much affected by in-game chat and the use of foul language in threads other than the Flame Wars forum. I guess that is the crux of my issue - I'm all for making this a family-friendly site. But, there are many, many players that will continue to use foul language in places other than Flame Wars. So, eliminating Flame Wars does not eliminate the problem, in my opinion.

No worries about the other stuff...

Yes, foul language can still be found everywhere on this site, but Flame Wars was the one place where you were guaranteed to find it. It's not unreasonable that it was first to go. Personally I would have rather seen a change in the liberal stance on game chat, but if this is supposed to be the first step in making CC a friendlier place, I'm sure we'll see that happen one day.
Major Stroop

Postby jiminski on Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:26 am

Stroop wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Woodruff wrote:I certainly agree with you "then don't go there" position, as that is the position I have always personally taken. However, I have seen arguments regarding why Flame Wars was removed (though I don't know that it was from anyone "official"). Frankly, it doesn't help the image that Flame Wars does in fact give to the site. That image almost certainly does cost the site some money (how much I just as certainly have no idea), and I'm pretty sure that is largely the logic that was used in the decision. Many parents wouldn't feel comfortable with allowing their children to frequent a site that included such a forum. Many of those same parents would certainly be willing to pay $25 for a year's entertainment for their child.

I would agree with this reason, and I would be fine with it, except that the comfortability of parents is as much affected by in-game chat and the use of foul language in threads other than the Flame Wars forum. I guess that is the crux of my issue - I'm all for making this a family-friendly site. But, there are many, many players that will continue to use foul language in places other than Flame Wars. So, eliminating Flame Wars does not eliminate the problem, in my opinion.

No worries about the other stuff...

Yes, foul language can still be found everywhere on this site, but Flame Wars was the one place where you were guaranteed to find it. It's not unreasonable that it was first to go. Personally I would have rather seen a change in the liberal stance on game chat, but if this is supposed to be the first step in making CC a friendlier place, I'm sure we'll see that happen one day.

Agreed, let's start the process to clean-up gamechat now! It will be swallowed more readily if the community is involved in this change. (non-inclusion was part of the mistake with the 'joke' closure of FlameWars!)

Someone needs to start a thread inviting thoughts on unacceptable words and phrases. We need to decide where the line in the sand will be drawn!

Once the list has been compiled, we vote on which will be filtered out of game-chat!
Lieutenant jiminski

Postby ronsizzle on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:14 pm

my point woodruff, was that you had a problem with me outside of that game. you left me ratings for the problem you had with me.

i will not be baited into saying what the problem was, or is. fact is, you gave me ratings on something outside of game play. and left tags that made no sense.

my point was, since you missed it. that if flame wars was still around, you wouldnt have had to hurt part of cc's system like you did. instead, you could have made a thread or post in flame wars.

this will be my last post in this thread. all i hear is hyprocritical bullshit in here by the same tired people, with the same tired arguments.

the people in here who argue that flame wars removal was good really do need to go to a debating class. those who removed it really need to come up with a reason why.

what i hear is "cc is better off without it". then i look at my ratings, and the same people who argue for cc's success are throwing a knife in the back of it in other ways. i am seeing names that i never saw before voting, and chiming in. that is ridiculous.

i wouldnt vote for something in much ado, or a different forum that i didnt go to. because i wouldnt know what that forum was really about. the people who took flame wars away, and the ones who defend that stance are the ones who never went in there.

beem me outta here
Sergeant 1st Class ronsizzle

Postby mpjh on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:23 pm

Scotty reporting:
The transporter experienced a temporary malfunction. I repaired it. Unfortunately Ronc was not reassembled properly and was put together with his head in a dark place. We are working on a fix.
Scotty out
Cadet mpjh

Postby Woodruff on Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:49 pm

ronc8649 wrote:my point woodruff, was that you had a problem with me outside of that game. you left me ratings for the problem you had with me.

No sir, I don't believe that is the case at all. I take those tags very seriously, so I am quite confident that I didn't select them due to "outside of the game" issues at all.

ronc8649 wrote:i will not be baited into saying what the problem was, or is. fact is, you gave me ratings on something outside of game play. and left tags that made no sense.

As I have already said, it's possible that I confused you with another user in a game. However, I do doubt that is the case. I can state with absolute certainty that I did not leave you tags or ratings based on anything outside of the game.

ronc8649 wrote:my point was, since you missed it. that if flame wars was still around, you wouldnt have had to hurt part of cc's system like you did. instead, you could have made a thread or post in flame wars.

My point was, since you missed it, is that I did not give you any ratings or tags due to outside-of-the-game issues, so I did NOT in ANY way "hurt part of cc's system". As well, I clearly stated that I do not and never would frequent Flame Wars for any reason and would instead have PM'd you privately, as I have done with many other users here.

ronc8649 wrote:this will be my last post in this thread. all i hear is hyprocritical bullshit in here by the same tired people, with the same tired arguments.

And yet, all you've done is directly repeat yourself and apparently doing so without bothering to read the response I gave to you the first time.

ronc8649 wrote:what i hear is "cc is better off without it". then i look at my ratings, and the same people who argue for cc's success are throwing a knife in the back of it in other ways.

Or even making stuff up about other users, as you are doing.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby a.sub on Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:48 pm

Artimis wrote:
a.sub wrote:100% of america are the extremist retards

You missed a zero, I've fixed that for you. :D

wrong
but points for making me laugh
now my lil sis is lookinh at me funny
Cadet a.sub

Postby ronsizzle on Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:13 pm

mpjh wrote:Scotty reporting:
The transporter experienced a temporary malfunction. I repaired it. Unfortunately Ronc was not reassembled properly and was put together with his head in a dark place. We are working on a fix.
Scotty out

i thought i was done posting in here. but this comment deserves an applause or a golf clap at the least.

well done!

Postby ronsizzle on Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:16 pm

woodruff. i cant keep quoting you cuz it would be too long of a thread.

but if that was your point? then why have you not changed what you tagged me as? have you not looked at the game?

so, when i say i dont believe you. it is because i dont. bones2484 is the same way. a bunch of you guys are all about rating people according to forum nonsense.

and another reason i dont believe you woodruff is because you slammed me personally in a thread before that game took place. then after the game, came the rating.

you are allowed to change your rating. but i bet you already knew that.

IN FACT WOODRUFF. look at my wall. you even abuse the wall system here on cc? your logic makes no sense man.

you abuse the ratings system, you abuse the wall privileges, and yet you argue that you are some sort of saint?

at least i come out with honesty always! learn from that spock.

Postby Woodruff on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:20 pm

ronc8649 wrote:woodruff. i cant keep quoting you cuz it would be too long of a thread.
but if that was your point? then why have you not changed what you tagged me as? have you not looked at the game?

No, I have not. Frankly, you haven't given me any reason to go look. Harassing me in the forums certainly isn't any way to motivate me.

ronc8649 wrote:so, when i say i dont believe you. it is because i dont. bones2484 is the same way. a bunch of you guys are all about rating people according to forum nonsense.

Except...you know...I don't.

ronc8649 wrote:and another reason i dont believe you woodruff is because you slammed me personally in a thread before that game took place. then after the game, came the rating.

I slammed you personally in a thread because you deserved it, most likely. That the rating came after that is simply coincidence.

ronc8649 wrote:you are allowed to change your rating. but i bet you already knew that.

Actually, I was under the impression that I can only change the rating if we play again. I can REMOVE it, I believe...but I don't think I can just go change it. I could be wrong about that, though.

ronc8649 wrote:IN FACT WOODRUFF. look at my wall. you even abuse the wall system here on cc? your logic makes no sense man.

You are clearly a very ignorant individual who cannot even show basic reading skills. I strongly suggest that you go back and read your wall again...you couldn't be more wrong. That wasn't me.

In fact, this little tidbit DID motivate me to go find the games we've played together. You know what, Ron? WE'VE NEVER PLAYED TOGETHER! NOT A SINGLE TIME!

I suggest you pay a bit better attention during reading class instead of concentrating on lunch and recess.

So...do I get an apology now?

ronc8649 wrote:you abuse the ratings system

Except I haven't.

ronc8649 wrote:you abuse the wall privileges

Except I haven't.

ronc8649 wrote:and yet you argue that you are some sort of saint?

Except I haven't. Three strikes and you're out, Ron.

ronc8649 wrote:at least i come out with honesty always! learn from that spock.

You have two options: You can keep your mouth shut and only appear to be an idiot, or you can continue to run it and remove all doubt.

Now don't you wish you had just contacted me privately, as I suggested several times?

Postby ronsizzle on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:31 pm

by Wooddruff

for the wrong accusation, i apologize. but you have to admit, woodruff, and wooddruff dont look all that different.
and you were the one who slammed me in a thread.

Postby Woodruff on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:32 pm

ronc8649 wrote:by Wooddruff

for the wrong accusation, i apologize. but you have to admit, woodruff, and wooddruff dont look all that different.
and you were the one who slammed me in a thread.

I will admit that would be an easy mistake to make, yes.

Just keep it in mind when you're "thinking evil thoughts about me" in the future and just contact me privately. <laughing>
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby n00blet on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:07 am

SILENCE FOOLS!

Responses that need to require scrolling to be able to read should arbitrarily be deleted from now on, because no one reads them, and no one cares about your "logical" arguments. Goodness gracious. This is worse than FW ever was...
Captain n00blet

Postby Woodruff on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:37 am

n00blet wrote:SILENCE FOOLS!

Responses that need to require scrolling to be able to read should arbitrarily be deleted from now on, because no one reads them, and no one cares about your "logical" arguments. Goodness gracious. This is worse than FW ever was...

They have medication for your inability to concentrate for slightly longer amounts of time. You should check that out.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby xelabale on Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:41 am

Lol a flaming thread about removing FW.

FW is alive and well, just renamed.
Captain xelabale

Postby n00blet on Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:44 am

Woodruff wrote:

They have medication for your inability to concentrate for slightly longer amounts of time. You should check that out.
Note the flames within your arguments about how good it is that FW is gone. Do you know how to spell hypocrite?
Captain n00blet

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:28 pm

Now, hopefully, the admins (and woodruff) can see the point I was trying to make.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Woodruff on Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:58 pm

xelabale wrote:Lol a flaming thread about removing FW.
FW is alive and well, just renamed.

Where is the flaming?

I know you're trying REALLY HARD to justify your desires, but this desperation on your part really is just making you look bad, rather than giving the impression that you have a real point.

Postby Woodruff on Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:00 pm

n00blet wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Note the flames within your arguments about how good it is that FW is gone. Do you know how to spell hypocrite?

Hmmm...you call me a fool, and that's ok. I suggest a way that you can assist with a problem that you admit you're experiencing and you want to claim it's a flame? I was simply pointing out that if you don't have the ability to concentrate long enough to read the posts (which you admit), then there is medication for that problem. No flame. However, you are certainly calling me a name.

I know you're trying REALLY HARD to justify your desires, but this desperation on your part really is just making you look bad, rather than giving the impression that you have a real point.

Postby Woodruff on Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:09 pm

thegreekdog wrote:Now, hopefully, the admins (and woodruff) can see the point I was trying to make.

IF there is actually a problem here (and I'm sorry, but in my opinion you're really reaching to try to claim that there's been a lot of flaming lately in this thread, particularly if you're referring to my posts), then the moderators can certainly deal with it, as they should.

Postby n00blet on Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:00 pm

Woodruff wrote:
n00blet wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

Hmmm...you call me a fool, and that's ok. I suggest a way that you can assist with a problem that you admit you're experiencing and you want to claim it's a flame? I was simply pointing out that if you don't have the ability to concentrate long enough to read the posts (which you admit), then there is medication for that problem. No flame. However, you are certainly calling me a name.

What desires? I haven't stated anything of the like, other than you considering the possibility that you need to take a step off your high horse to actually listen to logic (which Spock would approve of, suprisingly enough).

In any event, this isn't worth the time or effort it takes to type responses anymore, as they are obviously going right over your head. Either that, or I'm just going to make myself look bad.... :roll:
Captain n00blet

PreviousNext

Return to Announcement Archives