Conquer Club

[Excel] Map Bonus Calculator

How to make a map. Official Handbook, Guides, Tutorials and more...

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

[Excel] Map Bonus Calculator

Postby thenobodies80 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:18 am

Thanks to WidowMakers we have a good excel spreadsheet to help us to find out possible good bonus values for a map.

Once you have input all the required data (the instructions are within the excel file), the spreadsheet will suggest you the bonuses. This formula is not perfect so your bonuses might need further adjustaments to balance things on your map.

There're few things to keep in mind before using this tool:
  • The spreadsheet often gives values that are too low for bonus zones that are in the middle of the map. If a map does have such a centrally-located bonus zone, then its natural value (the difficulty of gaining and holding the bonus) is often more than what the spreadsheet shows.
  • When on your map you have linear bonuses, such as stations along a railway (with each station being adjacent to a non-railway region), instead of the spreadsheet, you can use an easily-remembered rule: +1 for each station.
  • When on your map you have bonuses for holding all regions of a special type (that are not adjacent to each other, such as holding all capital cities), instead of the spreadsheet, you can give +1 for each region, then adding an extra +1 at the end. (e.g. +6 for holding all 5 capital cities).

The spreadsheet and the few notes here above, can help you to see, for example, whether a bonus will be ignored by most players because it's too low. However, they are all only guides and good maps can vary from the numbers given, especially if the mapmaker wants the play to develop in a certain direction.

Copia di CC_MAP_BONUS_CALC.xls
Sergeant 1st Class thenobodies80

Re: [Excel] Map Bonus Calculator

Postby CHAMPOS on Thu May 17, 2018 1:00 am

I cannot download this from either here or the gameplay section, can it be uploaded?
...boogie
Corporal 1st Class CHAMPOS

Postby iancanton on Fri May 18, 2018 5:28 pm

although i no longer have an easily-accessible copy of the original spreadsheet, which hasn't been used by foundry staff for years, i'll upload a modified version in the next day or two. thanks for having alerted me to the lack of a working link.

ian. :)
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Postby TeeGee on Sun May 20, 2018 12:44 am

I asked admin if there was a copy in the archives, unfortunately not found at this stage.
Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby iancanton on Sun May 20, 2018 6:01 pm

thanks for trying, TeeGee!

i've uploaded a spreadsheet that can be used to suggest bonus values and shall be happy to answer any questions that arise.

ian. :)
Attachments
bonuscalc-20180520.xlsx
(5.92 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
Colonel iancanton
Foundry Foreman
Foundry Foreman

Return to Tools & Guides