Conquer Club

Guide for the Non-Mapmaker?

How to make a map. Official Handbook, Guides, Tutorials and more...

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Guide for the Non-Mapmaker?

Postby Shape on Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:07 am

Hi, I'm *officially* new here, though my uncle played before me, so I have limited knowledge about the Map Foundry. It seems like a neat place! And I'd like to be of use somehow, but I'm no mapmaker and don't plan to be. Any tips? I've read the Mapmaker's Guide, but that's for, well, mapmakers, no?

-Shape
Private 1st Class Shape

Re: Guide for the Non-Mapmaker?

Postby Gilligan on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:17 pm

Shape wrote:Hi, I'm *officially* new here, though my uncle played before me, so I have limited knowledge about the Map Foundry. It seems like a neat place! And I'd like to be of use somehow, but I'm no mapmaker and don't plan to be. Any tips? I've read the Mapmaker's Guide, but that's for, well, mapmakers, no?

-Shape

There's not much to know about not being a mapmaker.

Visit threads and maps that interest you, and give some input on how gameplay, graphics, or whatever can be improved.
Captain Gilligan

Postby Shape on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:25 am

Gilligan wrote:
Shape wrote:Hi, I'm *officially* new here, though my uncle played before me, so I have limited knowledge about the Map Foundry. It seems like a neat place! And I'd like to be of use somehow, but I'm no mapmaker and don't plan to be. Any tips? I've read the Mapmaker's Guide, but that's for, well, mapmakers, no?

-Shape

There's not much to know about not being a mapmaker.

Visit threads and maps that interest you, and give some input on how gameplay, graphics, or whatever can be improved.

That's what I've been doing. I'm just not sure how much my comments are worth, as I'm not sure what standards there are.

-Shape
Private 1st Class Shape

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:43 am

Your comments are worth the same as everyone else. Does not matter if you come here once a week or everyday, if you can give good comments, your advice will become welcome. A map maker must listen to all feedback and follow it unless he or someone else can give a reason why not.
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby Shape on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:21 am

Okay, thanks.

-Shape
Private 1st Class Shape

Postby Shape on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:54 pm

Had some free time so I read up on the XML Guide and the How-To Guide. Found those quite enlightening. I didn't realize you could do that much with maps! I tried to be thorough in my reading, and I think things in the XML Guide were explained pretty well, but I may still be fuzzy on a couple things (sections 4.2-4.3 were a doozy!), so apologies in advance if I critique incorrectly.

-Shape
Private 1st Class Shape

Return to Tools & Guides