Conquer Club

Color Blindness Check

How to make a map. Official Handbook, Guides, Tutorials and more...

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Color Blindness

Postby reggie_mac on Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:34 am

Click image to enlarge.

Ouchies .. Might have a look at the Ocean again.
Soviet Invaders: Space Invaders, it's not just a game
New Zealand Map - Foundry
"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Captain reggie_mac

Color blind test

Postby Industrial Helix on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:05 am

Does the vischeck on your map got you down? Tired of accommodating the color blind? Well, lets see just how good with colors you are...

http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77

I thought this was fun although my eyes kind of hurt and it made me think of CC cause we're always vischecking our maps. Perfect score, no color blindness for me :P
Sketchblog [Update 07/25/11]: http://indyhelixsketch.blogspot.com/
Living in Japan [Update 07/17/11]: http://mirrorcountryih.blogspot.com/
Russian Revolution map for ConquerClub [07/20/11]: viewtopic.php?f=241&t=116575
Cook Industrial Helix

Re: [Tool] Color Blindness Check

Postby natty dread on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:50 am

Here's a tool I made for paint.net that performs colour-blind check for protanope & deuteranope.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2010/2/7/2 ... indsim.zip

there aren't many paint.net users here currently, but perhaps in the future... ;)

to install, unzip the package to the Effects folder under your paint.net folder.
Sergeant 1st Class natty dread

Postby porkenbeans on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:46 am

I got perfect score too. :D
Lieutenant porkenbeans

Postby natty dread on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:57 am

My score was 6... although I did it a bit sloppily.

Postby ender516 on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:04 pm

I got an 8. Two patches of four single blocks either side of centre on the results screen. Good enough, I think.
Sergeant 1st Class ender516

Re: Color Blindness

Postby zimmah on Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:32 pm

gimil wrote:There are many different forms of colour blindness. Usually a good place to start thought is to avoid putting two similar shades of closely related colours together.

Green and Orange aren't closely related, however colorblind persons can often not tell them apart.

the best way to colorblnd-check is to ask a colorblind person, the second best way is to use a filter.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Re: Color Blindness Check

Postby natty dread on Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:04 am

This would be good to add to the first post:

In GIMP, you can go to View > Display Filters and add the filter "Colour Deficient Vision" on the image. Check the box and select the type of colourblindness, and you can view your image through colourblind filters.

(Oh, and the same for photoshop, but someone else can tell how to do that in ps)

Postby y2manypbr on Thu May 03, 2012 10:21 pm

I am color blind, avoid many maps due to this! I would be happy to look over any perspective map and give my thoughts. I am sure there are other folks who have this same issue, perhaps some better or worse than mine, different for sure. But if anybody ever wants me to look at a map and give my thoughts would be happy. I am red-green, yellow blue and over all weak in colors. Some say i just cant dress myself- lol
Lieutenant y2manypbr

Postby ender516 on Thu May 03, 2012 11:41 pm

If you are interested in helping out, don't wait to be invited. Jump into the Main Foundry Workshop, and look for maps that have the Gameplay Stamp, but not yet received the Graphics Stamp. This is the point in the process where checks related to colour blindness should be most welcome. Of course, maps that have progressed further can still be revised, but fixing these things earlier means less rework for the map artist. (The little coloured balls next to the topic are a guide, but I forget which is what. You can check the first post of any map topic, though, because the stamps will be displayed there.)

Once you find a map you are interested in, simply post in the topic, letting people know about your vision, and guide the artist to a colour scheme which is more effective for you. From your description of your challenges, if a map is legible to you, it should be legible to almost anyone. (I suppose you use the colour codes for the troop numbers. I do, and my colour vision is fine.)

Postby isaiah40 on Fri May 04, 2012 7:39 am

y2manypbr wrote:I am color blind, avoid many maps due to this! I would be happy to look over any perspective map and give my thoughts. I am sure there are other folks who have this same issue, perhaps some better or worse than mine, different for sure. But if anybody ever wants me to look at a map and give my thoughts would be happy. I am red-green, yellow blue and over all weak in colors. Some say i just cant dress myself- lol

Thank you for your concerns about color blind maps. There are a few maps that are ready to get the graphics stamp within the next 48 hours. They are the ones that have the exclamation mark. As ender mentioned above, go into the main foundry and let the mapmakers know and guide them to change the colors.
Lieutenant isaiah40

Postby squishyg on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:06 pm

ender516 wrote:I got an 8. Two patches of four single blocks either side of centre on the results screen. Good enough, I think.

i also got an 8. do i win saxbucks?
There is no fog rule and I am no gentleman.
Robinette wrote:
Kaskavel wrote:Seriously. Who is the female conqueror of CC?

Depends on what metric you use...
The coolest is squishyg
Captain squishyg

Postby zimmah on Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:17 pm

ender516 wrote:If you are interested in helping out, don't wait to be invited. Jump into the Main Foundry Workshop, and look for maps that have the Gameplay Stamp, but not yet received the Graphics Stamp. This is the point in the process where checks related to colour blindness should be most welcome. Of course, maps that have progressed further can still be revised, but fixing these things earlier means less rework for the map artist. (The little coloured balls next to the topic are a guide, but I forget which is what. You can check the first post of any map topic, though, because the stamps will be displayed there.)

Once you find a map you are interested in, simply post in the topic, letting people know about your vision, and guide the artist to a colour scheme which is more effective for you. From your description of your challenges, if a map is legible to you, it should be legible to almost anyone. (I suppose you use the colour codes for the troop numbers. I do, and my colour vision is fine.)

](*,) asking a colorblind person to refer to colored balls for information.
Click image to enlarge.
Major zimmah

Postby ender516 on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:02 am

zimmah wrote:
ender516 wrote:If you are interested in helping out, don't wait to be invited. Jump into the Main Foundry Workshop, and look for maps that have the Gameplay Stamp, but not yet received the Graphics Stamp. This is the point in the process where checks related to colour blindness should be most welcome. Of course, maps that have progressed further can still be revised, but fixing these things earlier means less rework for the map artist. (The little coloured balls next to the topic are a guide, but I forget which is what. You can check the first post of any map topic, though, because the stamps will be displayed there.)

](*,) asking a colorblind person to refer to colored balls for information.

#-o That was a major fail, wasn't it? Perhaps we can get some new icons created to include some tiny text which relate to the stamps. You may have seen some like these:
Image Image Image Image
These were recently introduced to the CC forums. I will pass the word to see if the Foundry could get some new, less cryptic, icons than the coloured balls.

Postby koontz1973 on Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:22 pm

For some reason, I cannot get this to work. dana (cow map guy) has had the same problem. He downloaded the script for photoshop but it does not have one for GIMP. Is there another site we can use and site will accept? Or are my screengrabs (again something not everyone can do) good enough?
Lieutenant koontz1973

Postby ndrs on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:37 pm

Perhaps you all know this, but anyway:

In photoshop CS6 (possibly earlier versions too), simply go to View > Proof Setup > Color Blindness Pro/Deu. :)
Colonel ndrs

Previous

Return to Tools & Guides