Conquer Club

CC Olympics 2008 [Winners: Legends of War]

Tournaments completed in 2009.

Moderator: Tournament Directors

CC Olympics 2008 [Winners: Legends of War]

Postby Night Strike on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:06 am

CC Olympics 2008

The 29th Modern Olympics will be held in Beijing, China, from August 8-24, 2008. These competitions will pit dozens of countries against each other in 302 events among 28 different sports. In the spirit of the peaceful athletic competitions that the Olympics provide to the world, we have decided to take the Beijing 2008 Olympics to you on Conquer Club.
Because of the rarity and distinction of an Olympic competition, this tournament is sanctioned as An Official Clan Competition. Every competitive clan may enter 1 team for competition, which must have a minimum of 6 competitors and a Team Captain. An individual can only compete for 1 clan and must have a premium membership.

This tournament needs a minimum of 12 teams, but it will not be limited to that amount. Registration will close no later than August 1, 2008, with games beginning on or before August 8, 2008.

Here are the events being offered for competition in the 2008 CC Olympics:

1 v 1
    Table Tennis
    Fencing
    Wrestling
    Taekwondo
Singles
    Archery
    Swimming
    Rowing
    Cycling
Doubles
    Tennis
    Badminton
    Canoeing
    Water Polo
Triples
    Baseball
    Soccer
    Basketball
    Field Hockey

Track Events
    Singles
      110 meter hurdles
      200 meter
      400 meter
      800 meter
      1500 meter
      Marathon
    Quads
      4x100 meter relay
      4x400 meter relay

To register your team, please use the following form:
    Team Name:
    Team Captain:
    Team Players (Events):
      etc.

NOTES:
    • The specific settings for every event are listed in the 2nd post. Registered teams will appear in the 3rd post.
    • Every event must have a representative from your team. Track events need 2 representatives each.
    • A single player CANNOT play in more than one of the 1v1 or more than one of the Singles events. Identical teams cannot participate in more than one team event (i.e. one triples team can not play all 4 triples events). The Single Player Track events are excluded from this rule.
    • PLEASE have most of your team with their events at the time of registration. Any changes require a repost of your full roster with all corrections/changes. Previous submissions will be voided.
    • Each team is responsible for finding their own reserves. Preferably, these need to be listed on the Team Roster at registration. Failure to find a reserve for an event in a timely manner will result in a forfeiture from said event.
    • Games and passwords will be sent to each participant, but other communications will be sent to Team Captains ONLY.

IMPORTANT: Due to the uncertain number of teams at the time of posting, the exact qualification methods to determine a winner in each event are undecided. They will depend upon the number of teams that register to compete, but as a general rule, many of the events will have pool play and then a bracket series. The exact system for each will be determined and be made public BEFORE the first set of games begin.

Recognition:
A gold, silver, and bronze medal will be awarded to the top 3 finishing individuals/teams in each event. These will pool into their respective team’s overall medal count. The winning team of the tournament will be the team that finishes with the most medals. In the case of a tie, it will be broken by the number of gold medals received. The winning clan will receive 3 years of premium membership courtesy of lackattack to divide in no less than 6 month increments.
Major Night Strike

Tournament Events and Settings

Postby Night Strike on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:08 am

The links have been updated, but I'm unable to update the image at this time. The Freestyle Team events have been removed from play. The Freestyle Singles games are still available.

The # of players columns tells how many players will participate in each game, i.e. some singles events have 4 player games while others have 6 player games.
Click image to enlarge.

If you are having trouble seeing that picture, there are 2 options for downloading the file.

Excel 2007 File
Excel 97-03 File
Major Night Strike

Team Registrations

Postby Night Strike on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:10 am

Reserved for Registration
Major Night Strike

Standings

Postby Night Strike on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:11 am

The winners of the 4x100m Relay (Quads) are as follows:

show

The winners of the 4x400m Relay (Quads) are as follows:

show

The winners of the Baseball Event (Triples) are as follows:

show

The winners of the Basketball Event (Triples) are as follows:

show

The winners of the Field Hockey Event (Triples) are as follows:

show

The winners of the Soccer Event (Triples) are as follows:

show
Major Night Strike

Standings

Postby Night Strike on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:12 am

The winners of the Badminton Event (Doubles) are as follows:

show

The winners of the Canoeing Event (Doubles) are as follows:

show

The winners of the Tennis Event (Doubles) are as follows:

show

The winners of the Water Polo Event (Doubles) are as follows:

show

The winners of the Fencing Event (1v1) are as follows:

show

The winners of the Table Tennis Event (1v1) are as follows:

show

The winners of the Taekwondo Event (1v1) are as follows:

show

The winners of the Wrestling Event (1v1) are as follows:

show
Major Night Strike

Standings

Postby Night Strike on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:17 am

Reserved.
Major Night Strike

Re: CC Olympics 2008 [Clans Only Tournament]

Postby blakebowling on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:48 am

awesome ;)
Private blakebowling

Postby Gilligan on Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:02 am

So, after you get a team the team decides who plays in what event?
Captain Gilligan

Postby Optimus Prime on Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:54 am

Gilligan wrote:So, after you get a team the team decides who plays in what event?

Yep, that's how it works. :)
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby killmanic on Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:20 pm

The imperial dragoons are in detail to be given later
Colonel killmanic

Postby conquerAce on Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:39 am

Is there a min/max to the number of players required on a team?
Major conquerAce

Postby firstholliday on Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:50 am

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=55757
7 firstholliday 3589 (58%) General 128-2 Netherlands
General firstholliday

Postby BENJIKAT IS DEAD on Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:15 am

Legends of War will be in - but will take us a while to figure out a team!

Night Strike wrote: - Every event must have a representative from your team. Track events need 2 representatives each.
- A single player CANNOT play in more than one of the 1v1 or more than one of the Singles events. Identical teams cannot participate in more than one team event (i.e. one triples team can not play all 4 triples events). Track events are excluded from this rule.

Please confirm that by "identical teams", ABC, BCD, CDA, and DAB, would count as different- i.e. 4 players make 4 different trips teams.

Just for clarification, I understand the absolute minimum number of players required to be:

1v1s:4
singles:4
doubles: 4 - AB, BC, AC, xD
trips: 4
track singles: 2
track quads: 4
Therefore theoretically (and with a huge game load) I think that just 4 players could cover the whole tournament.

EDIT - rereading your first post more carefully revealed the minimum to actually be 6, which also answers my question about "identical"

Also another small picky point - the standard longer middle distance is 1500m, not 1600m.

And one more thing - please think about putting a round limit in place with clear determination of winners in advance. Some of those no cards singles games could easily last 100s of rounds otherwise - we don't want to have to wait until 2010 to found out who's won!! (I also found it amusing that the 110m hurdles is likely to take far far far longer than the 1500m or even the marathon)
Colonel BENJIKAT IS DEAD

Postby Night Strike on Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:49 pm

conquerAce wrote:Is there a min/max to the number of players required on a team?

I believe the number works out to be 6 as a minimum based on not having identical teams, but it may be a few higher than that. The max is 42 if each player only plays one event which is the number of total spots that each team has to take care of.

BENJIKAT IS DEAD wrote:Legends of War will be in - but will take us a while to figure out a team!

Awesome

Please confirm that by "identical teams", ABC, BCD, CDA, and DAB, would count as different- i.e. 4 players make 4 different trips teams.

You are correct. That's to avoid a great triples team to come in and clean up all four of those events.

EDIT - rereading your first post more carefully revealed the minimum to actually be 6, which also answers my question about "identical"

Yep

Also another small picky point - the standard longer middle distance is 1500m, not 1600m.

Ok, I forgot about that and will get it changed.

And one more thing - please think about putting a round limit in place with clear determination of winners in advance. Some of those no cards singles games could easily last 100s of rounds otherwise - we don't want to have to wait until 2010 to found out who's won!! (I also found it amusing that the 110m hurdles is likely to take far far far longer than the 1500m or even the marathon)

Yeah, thanks for that reminder. It will be finalized when the scoring methods are determined after registrations are complete. And my reasoning for no cards on the 110m hurdles is because the hurdles are there to disrupt forward progress, just like no cards keep you from getting a nice boost.
Major Night Strike

Postby conquerAce on Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:28 pm

++The Legion++ would like to join. Roster to follow
Major conquerAce

Postby TheKidsTrumpet on Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:28 pm

G1 will have a full team/roster/schedule to you soon.
Personal Best: 2344
Winner of: Championship Series: Arms Race
Redemption Pt. 1
Doubles Champion Initech XXV: Olympic Games w/Gilligan
Lieutenant TheKidsTrumpet

Postby Night Strike on Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:54 pm

thekidstrumpet wrote:G1 will have a full team/roster/schedule to you soon.

I know. ;)

By the way, there are 4 clans that have expressed initial interest and are actively putting together teams. I will send PMs to other clan leaders tomorrow to gain some more clans. If someone is reading this thread but is not a member of a clan, there are 2 options available. 1) Gather up some other players and submit an eticket to start a new clan (even if it's just temporary). 2) Wait around in case I don't get 12 clans to join because then I will need open teams as well.
Major Night Strike

Postby Natewolfman on Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:59 pm

I can assume that the Pheonix Warlords will be in... ill make a post and gather teams

EDIT: you said we need 2 players per 1v1 or singles event? so then that means 8 total individual players for each of those types right?

REEDIT: lol, i mean to say track events... so are they the same? can every member only participate in 1 track event?
Sergeant 1st Class Natewolfman

Postby BENJIKAT IS DEAD on Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:04 pm

Another important question:

What will the rules be in regards to game joining? - joining second affords benefits to both fog games and to freestyle ones - in the case of freestyle team games, the team joining second has an overwhelming advantage.

And in the same vein - what checks can there be in terms of "strategic account sitting", especially as it applies to team freestyle, as I know of a number of clans whose members seem to relatively freely take each others terms.

These freestyle related issues are likely to be the only ones that would prevent us from competing (and this may apply to other "high ranking" clans too)... how set on including freestyle are you?
Colonel BENJIKAT IS DEAD

Postby Night Strike on Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:11 pm

Natewolfman wrote:I can assume that the Pheonix Warlords will be in... ill make a post and gather teams

EDIT: you said we need 2 players per 1v1 or singles event? so then that means 8 total individual players for each of those types right?

REEDIT: lol, i mean to say track events... so are they the same? can every member only participate in 1 track event?

The 1v1 and Singles events, a single person can only play 1 of each (so you can't play all 4 1v1 and I can't play all 4 Singles). Someone can enter as many track events as they want because there needs to be 2 players from your team in each of them (except for the relays).

Benjikat:

I included freestyle to try to incorporate all the settings. But I made sure to limit them because of the general dislike in a competitive environment such as this. The first round will probably be a round robin pool play type, so I'll make sure to split things between teams being Team 1 or Team 2 to split the ability to go first. In general, think of it as this: In every event, someone has to start out with the ball.

If there are requests from most of the clans to remove the freestyle, I will consider taking it out. But it's staying for now (it only covers 4 or 5 events anyway).
Major Night Strike

Postby BENJIKAT IS DEAD on Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:12 am

Night Strike wrote:If there are requests from most of the clans to remove the freestyle, I will consider taking it out.

OK let's see what happens.

Another small point - there is no 800m relay in the real olympics - there are 100m and 400m, rather than 400m and 800m.
Colonel BENJIKAT IS DEAD

Postby dcc1220 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:07 am

They should probably be called 400m relay and 1600m relay or 4x100 relay and 4x400 relay.
Major dcc1220

Postby Lufsen75 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:59 am

dcc1220 wrote:They should probably be called 400m relay and 1600m relay or 4x100 relay and 4x400 relay.

The later it is. 4x100 and 4X400
Corporal 1st Class Lufsen75

Postby Night Strike on Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:36 am

BENJIKAT IS DEAD wrote:Another small point - there is no 800m relay in the real olympics - there are 100m and 400m, rather than 400m and 800m.

Are you kidding me?!?!?! Geez, I thought I checked on that. That makes me upset. I'll switch it to 4x100 and 4x400. Thanks for pointing out my problems. ;)
Major Night Strike

Postby Lufsen75 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:26 pm

I only hope to be in a clan soon enough to be a part of this.

EDIT: I have aplyed in one already
Corporal 1st Class Lufsen75

Next

Return to Completed 2009