Conquer Club

A Chance to Write History: WWIII [Ongoing]

Tournaments completed in 2013

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Chinese Government Rounds up Protesters; Intl Community Outr

Postby WorldCup4James on Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:51 pm

Tatts wrote:Confederation wins yes! =D>

Indeed! Our writer of the first battle, blitzkreig2, explains the implications of our first battle,

Implications of Battle I: "The Beginning"
After hard fighting and millions of sustained casualties the rising tide that was the CWP and the alliance is overcome by the military might of the CGF and its confederation. Remaining rebels are rounded up and imprisoned or executed in mass. Surviving leaders of the rebellion go underground, many seeking asylum in foreign lands. Great debate and uproar encompass the international community, appalled at the blood bath that has resulted from a fractured china.

Below is our updated standings.

Updated Standings Board
show: Standings

The 8 players highlighted in yellow in the above standings will now take part in Medal of Honor Cup Qualifiers, as per the Rules,

the winning faction claimed victory in 4 fronts, the 8 players (two from each front) will be randomly divided into 2, 4-player standard games. The winner of each game advances to the MOH Cup.

These players are the top 2 Confederation players (ranked by wins) from those fronts in which the Confederation won.

To save time, I'll begin our week of writing Battle II as these games take place.

Continuing the Story...Another Chance to Write History (Battle II)

The world has only just begun on its treacherous trek towards World War III. Seven key events remain ahead, and each one of you has the opportunity to write history! I will now be accepting any scenario proposals for the next 7 days (until CC Time: 2012-03-15 18:00:00).

Contextual Requirements
To ensure the plot is not disjointed, your scenario must make some sort of reference to the events of China (the Government Forces having quelled a Workers' Party Uprising in a bloody struggle). The events in your scenario do not have to necessarily stem directly from the events in China, but there should be some link made.

To get you started, I'll mention some brief situations that can spawn from such a high-profile internal struggle as has just occurred in China,

Possible Ideas to help you out:
  • Splinter wars between those countries supporting the Workers (India, Tibet, Mongolia, and Korea) and the Government forces (Russia, Vietnam)?
  • Other worker movements in other nations?
  • Superpower involvement or pressure on the Chinese government on behalf of human rights?
  • After hard fighting and millions of sustained casualties the rising tide that was the CWP and the alliance is overcome by the military might of the CGF and its confederation. Remaining rebels are rounded up and imprisoned or executed in mass. Surviving leaders of the rebellion go underground, many seeking asylum in foreign lands. Great debate and uproar encompass the international community, appalled at the blood bath that has resulted from a fractured china.

Work with these ideas or come up with something new! Write a brief (maybe just a paragraph or two) idea on a possible World War III scenario. Keep in mind the requirements for all scenarios,

General Requirements for Writing History
show: Requirements

Remember, writing history is NOT required of course, but there is a General Achievement Medal (the Nostradamus Award), which will be given to the player who has the most number of scenarios approved and implemented into the tournament by players' votes. Please consider being a prophet :o :?
Sergeant 1st Class WorldCup4James

Re: A Chance to Write History: WWIII [PostBattle2Scenarios:D

Postby WorldCup4James on Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:54 pm

Time to Write a Scenario for Battle 2

The world has only just begun on its treacherous trek towards World War III. Seven key events remain ahead, and each one of you has the opportunity to write history! I will now be accepting any scenario proposals until CC Time: 2012-03-15 18:00:00.

Contextual Requirements
To ensure the plot is not disjointed, your scenario must make some sort of reference to the events of China (the Government Forces having quelled a Workers' Party Uprising in a bloody struggle). The events in your scenario do not have to necessarily stem directly from the events in China, but there should be some link made.

To get you started, I'll mention some brief situations that can spawn from such a high-profile internal struggle as has just occurred in China,

• Splinter wars between those countries supporting the Workers (India, Tibet, Mongolia, and Korea) and the Government forces (Russia, Vietnam)?
  • Other worker movements in other nations?
  • Superpower involvement or pressure on the Chinese government on behalf of human rights?
  • After hard fighting and millions of sustained casualties the rising tide that was the CWP and the alliance is overcome by the military might of the CGF and its confederation. Remaining rebels are rounded up and imprisoned or executed in mass. Surviving leaders of the rebellion go underground, many seeking asylum in foreign lands. Great debate and uproar encompass the international community, appalled at the blood bath that has resulted from a fractured china.

Work with these ideas or come up with something new! Write a brief (maybe just a paragraph or two) idea on a possible World War III scenario. Keep in mind the requirements for all scenarios,

Remember, writing history is NOT required of course, but there is a General Achievement Medal (the Nostradamus Award), which will be given to the player who has the most number of scenarios approved and implemented into the tournament by players' votes. Please consider being a prophet :o :?

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:40 am

I finally found some time for this, and I missed the dealine...:(
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby WorldCup4James on Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:26 pm

Dukasaur wrote:I finally found some time for this, and I missed the dealine...:(

No worries.

There were no submissions, and while the rules state I would write something should there be no submissions, I've decided to allow another 5 days for any player to write a possible battle scenario to follow up the results of Battle I (details can be found above).

Five Additional Days to Write a Battle Scenario!

What does this mean?

• Write a brief (even just a few sentences or paragraph) scenario providing a general battle scenario between two sides, one representing Alliance, one representing Confederation. The scenario must make reference to what happened in China in Battle I (Government Forces put down a workers' protest).

Example: The workers' rights movement of China has spread across the region as child laborers and the entire working class as a whole bonds together with goals of the Confederation to demand better pay and working conditions from the strong regimes, representing the Confederation.

• List a map and group of settings relevant to the geography of the battle.

Example: Asia: escalating, chained, no fog

It's THAT simple. I think this is simple enoug; after all this tourney counts on at least some community involvement.

So go ahead and write, you all, there is a General Achievement medal available, ya know ;)

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:42 pm

Thanks for the extension. I think I shall definitely write something on Monday!
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby WorldCup4James on Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:39 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Thanks for the extension. I think I shall definitely write something on Monday!

Sounds good.

That goes for everyone. Any one of you can write a few brief sentences, shouldn't be tough even if you're lacking creativity. There's a GA medal on the line, so I'm surprised I haven't been seeing even some attempts for our second battle scenario!

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:49 pm

The collapse of the worker's rebellion in China was a major blow to labour organisations all over the world. The flow of cheap goods from China not only resumed, but became even cheaper, as millions of workers who had participated in the rebellion were sent to slave labour camps as part of their "re-education."

The nations who were impacted worst were not the wealthiest nations. Those had been dealing with cheap imports from China for nearly a hundred years, and their economies were well acclamatized to the situation. The worst impacts fell on those nations who were China's natural competitors: developing nations who until now had provided even cheaper labour than China.

One such nation was Brazil, already facing numerous economic and social problems, now thrown into chaos. Brazil had once been close to developing nuclear weapons, but in 1990 had voluntarily abandoned its nuclear research program and accepted the Non-proliferation treaty. Now, a new military junta took power, and aided by twenty-first century technological advances, was able to complete its first nuclear weapon in only a few short months.

Motivated partly by economic desperation, and partly by simple old-fashioned megalomania and xenophobia, the Junta Nova developed a plan to launch a nuclear strike against China. They knew they couldn't match China directly, but they were confident that most of the world secretly hated China, and that if they could do substantial damage in the first strike, the rest of the world would join in and finish the job.

The Chinese appealed to the UN Security Council, and in a rare show of unanimity all of the Permanent Members of the Security Council agreed to take action to destroy the Brazilian nuclear program. They didn't realize just how well organized the Brazilian forces were, and what should have been a quick commando operation in Amazonia soon degenerated into full-scale war.

Map: Brazil
Spoils: Nuclear
Reinforcements: Chained
Foggy: Very

Alliance:
Brazil,
numerous small contingents from many third world nations

Confederacy:
Permanent Security Council Members (U.S., U.K., Russia, China, and France)
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: A Chance to Write History: WWIII[PostBattleScenarios:Day

Postby WorldCup4James on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:33 pm

The extended 5 days allotted for writing submissions has ended.

Dukasaur's submission has gone unchallenged. Nobody else has put forth the effort to try and win a General Achievement Medal by having the most scenarios approved. Therefore, his extensive and very well-written battle scenario is automatically approved, so we have our script for the next step in WWIII...

Our Next Scenario, by Dukasaur
show: Battle Scenario

Over the weekend I'll send invites for Round 2 of 8. Thanks for your patience, and prepare for the treacherous combat in the tropics :twisted:

Re: A Chance to Write History: WWIII[PostBattleScenarios:Day

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:39 pm

WorldCup4James wrote:The extended 5 days allotted for writing submissions has ended.

Dukasaur's submission has gone unchallenged. Nobody else has put forth the effort to try and win a General Achievement Medal by having the most scenarios approved. Therefore, his extensive and very well-written battle scenario is automatically approved, so we have our script for the next step in WWIII...

Our Next Scenario, by Dukasaur
show: Battle Scenario

Over the weekend I'll send invites for Round 2 of 8. Thanks for your patience, and prepare for the treacherous combat in the tropics :twisted:

Cool! My first step toward the Nostradamus award! :D

I hope you don't send out the games too soon... I'll be away for the weekend and I hate overloading my turn-sitters. I was trying to get my game load down before the weekend, but today I got hit with 22 invites in four tournaments including your Galapamaica. Sigh. My turn-sitters are going to be cursing my name.
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: A Chance to Write History: WWIII[Battle 2/8; Upd. 4/4]

Postby WorldCup4James on Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:29 pm

Our second of eight battles has begun!

You should now have received 4 (and only 4) invites.
If you are in the Recruit Training league you should have received 5 (and only 5) invites.

If you received MORE or LESS than 4 invites please let me know immediately!

And, another congratulations to Dukasaur for being the only player to contribute by writing the script for this battle =D> =D> =D>

The competition WAS open to ALL contestants; after all the player who has the most scripts approved into the tournament gets a General Achievement medal...

Thank you, and good luck in the treacherous Amazon as you vow to either take down the crazed junta or defend your home territory in the jungle trenches :P

Re: A Chance to Write History: WWIII [Battle 2/8; Upd. 4/4]

Postby alec.ramsden on Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:46 am

im new to tournaments and in one of my games my battle foe as not taken up his\her invertation,
will i win or will a reserve be put in
alec ramsden
Sergeant 1st Class alec.ramsden

Postby WorldCup4James on Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:42 pm

alec.ramsden wrote:im new to tournaments and in one of my games my battle foe as not taken up his\her invertation,
will i win or will a reserve be put in
alec ramsden

A reserve will be put in. I have already posted on the Play-Now page looking for a reserve. Once a player decides to join, I'll immediately get him into that game. Good question :D

This goes for all players in Front 3; the missing games will begin as soon as possible.

Postby littlejimmy1 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:47 am

I'm in as neutral.
Private littlejimmy1

Postby littlejimmy1 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:06 am

Thanks for letting me know. Do you know if there are other tournaments that don't require me to play more than 4 games at once?
Private littlejimmy1

Postby ltcomdata on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:27 pm

Assuming you still need reserves, I am in... in whichever front you need me.
Private 1st Class ltcomdata

Postby WorldCup4James on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:32 pm

ltcomdata wrote:Assuming you still need reserves, I am in... in whichever front you need me.

ltcomdata replaces inactive giappone, for the remainder of the tournament.

Welcome aboard, ltcomdata! :D

Postby czech59 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:29 am

where do i find win and lose records?
Major czech59

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:05 am

czech59 wrote:where do i find win and lose records?

Standings are in Post 2; there is also a link to it from Post 1.
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby WorldCup4James on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:48 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
czech59 wrote:where do i find win and lose records?

Standings are in Post 2; there is also a link to it from Post 1.

:lol: Why thank you Dukasaur!

You may be searching for the updated standings. I have not yet posted the win-loss records from Round 2. Due to the number of games, the moment I update the standings another game will have already finished. Thus, with tourneys like these I tend to have one large update once all games are finished. This also eliminates any error in accidentally counting a game twice.

Postby BunnRee on Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:53 pm

I'm in, if you still need a player. Bee
PAY ATTENTION! Squirrels and Rabbit Holes happen all the time. So, be on the lookout for unanticipated amazement and joy!
Cook BunnRee

Postby WorldCup4James on Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:55 pm

BunnRee wrote:I'm in, if you still need a player. Bee

BunnRee replaces inactive DogAlmighty, for the remainder of the tournament.

That fills all our unexpected absences for the round.
I sincerely appreciate your patience if your game was delayed.

Once all games are finished I'll post an official update. If you really really want to know how you stand, you can ask me and I'll let you know specifically. But a grand update will arrive for sure once all the games are done (this eliminates the majority of possible errors in updates).

Postby WorldCup4James on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:10 am

April 29 Update

The majority of our second battle of the war has transpired, and thus far the Confederation (UN Security council members) has a significant lead over the Alliance (Brazilian Junta), leading by the score of 3 fronts to 1, as our new standings board below indicates.

But three of our fronts remain tied, as each side ended up winning 8 games each. Thus, according to the rules, the top player from each side will play in a 1v1 game to determine which side (Alliance or Confederation) wins. Thus, after these three tie-breaker games (1 for each front) we'll know which side wins for sure!

Game 11026226
Game 11026231
Game 11026268

You may be confused with how I rank players who have equal number of wins.

Those players who have the same number of wins are ranked by the ART: Aggregate Round Total: this means I add up the number of rounds it took for players to win all their games (so if you won 3 games in 8 rounds each, your ART would be 24r): the player with the lowest ART is ranked higher (thus, players who finish games quicker are rewarded).

Re: A Chance to Write History: WWIII [Battle 2/8; Upd. 4/29]

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:33 am

Thanks for all your hard work! This is a great tournament!
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

May 15 Update

Postby WorldCup4James on Tue May 15, 2012 3:58 pm

May 15 World War III Tournament Update

Below is our updated standings.

Updated Standings Board
show: Standings

The 8 players highlighted in blue in the above standings will now take part in Medal of Honor Cup Qualifiers, as per the Rules,

the winning faction claimed victory in 4 fronts, the 8 players (two from each front) will be randomly divided into 2, 4-player standard games. The winner of each game advances to the MOH Cup.

These players are the top 2 Confederation players (ranked by wins) from those fronts in which the Confederation won.

Would you like to choose the Map AND Settings for the next round? Write and Post a Battle Scenario for Our Third Battle!

All it takes is for you to write a brief paragraph on a possible World War III scenario somehow related to the first two scenarios will suffice. Identify 2 key sides, one for the Confederation and one for the Alliance and the map and settings. Then post it on the tournament page here: viewtopic.php?f=91&t=159969&start=0

It's that simple!

We've now completed two battles, but six key events remain ahead, and each one of you has the opportunity to write history! I will now be accepting any scenario proposals for the next 7 days (until CC Time: 2012-05-22 17:00:00).

Contextual Requirements
To ensure the plot is not disjointed, I advise you make some sort of reference to the events of Brazil[/b][/color] (the UN has eliminated the military dictatorship in Brazil but there is still unrest and ecological devastation: consult the newspaper above).

You may also make reference to the workers' revolt put down in China (Battle 1).

The events in your scenario do not have to necessarily stem directly from the events in Brazil or China, but there should be some link made.

• Other military dictatorships arising in South America?
  • Politicians criticized for war, maybe leading to a civil war?
  • Feel free to use the newspaper to think of any ideas.

Work with these ideas or come up with something new!

Remember, writing history is NOT required of course, but there is a General Achievement Medal (the Nostradamus Award), which will be given to the player who has the most number of scenarios approved and implemented into the tournament by players' votes. Please consider taking part! :o :?

I'm giving all players 7 days (until CC Time: 2012-05-22 17:00:00) so that should give you plenty of time if you have an idea! And it doesn't have to be in depth at all, just something simple so we can get some community involvement in the tournament. ;)

Thanks,
James
Last edited by WorldCup4James on Tue May 15, 2012 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re:

Postby Dukasaur on Tue May 15, 2012 3:59 pm

WorldCup4James wrote:May 15 World War III Tournament Update

You do such a beautiful job on these!
― Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Completed 2013