Conquer Club

chili

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

chili

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:57 pm

was cooking for someone who doesn't tolerate a lot of tomato, added apple sauce. Good result.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Re: chili

Postby Symmetry on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:20 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:was cooking for someone who doesn't tolerate a lot of tomato, added apple sauce. Good result.

I've met a few people who don't like tomatoes. I didn't really understand it. Apparently for people prone to mouth ulcers it's really acidic and can aggravate them.

I reserve my right to be annoyed at people who don't like them because they're "slimy" or "have seeds" though. Those people are scum.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby TeeGee on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:29 pm

I wonder how apple sauce would work on Brazilians or other South Americans?
Major TeeGee
Multi Hunter
Multi Hunter

Location: Traversing the Multiverse, looking for a Yak with 3 ears

Postby Symmetry on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:44 pm

Symmetry's recipe for chilli at 18 yrs old:

Oil
Onion
Pack of beef mince
Tin of chopped tomatoes
Tin of kidney beans
Chilli sauce
Whatever I have left in the fridge

1) Chop the onion and dump it into a pot.
2) Remember to turn on the stove.
3) Bung in the mince.
4) Fish out the paper from the mince pack.
5) Does the mince look brown? If yes, step 6). If no, keep going.
6) Ask if anyone has a tin opener
7) Pour in chopped tomatoes
8 ) Stir it a bit
9) Ask for tin opener again, add kidney beans
10) Add leftovers
11) Add chilli sauce
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:51 pm

Honestly I'd probably enjoy it if you picked all the paper out. I'm not really picky.

I did make some last week that was pretty delicious, though. I did the full grind up dried peppers thing and all that jazz. Was the best chili i've ever made.
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby Symmetry on Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:01 pm

I'm better at making chilli now than I was when I was a student. Fresh chillies other than jalapenos and birds eye, and sometimes jabanero, are tough to find where I live though.

I still make some pretty weird chillis when I know I'm gonna freeze most of it just for me though.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby 2dimes on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:35 am

Met one of my best buds for evening meal last night. He told us about someone running a slow cooker full of chilli for a week. One of the employees there was having it for lunch everyday. Turns out this is a bad idea. He eventually was wearing white shorts and didn't make it to the toilet.
Earned him the nick name, Craig the Gravy Boat Captain.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:24 am

TeeGee wrote:I wonder how apple sauce would work on Brazilians or other South Americans?

They'd probably taste lovely.

Postby KoolBak on Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:12 pm

Isnt this the second chili thread??
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:37 pm

Probably, but this was sorta a new twist, so i couldn't be bothered to find the other one.
The next day I made tacos with what was left, topped with a spicy peach, onion, tomato, and pepper salsa. The curlsonette scoffed it up. Now we say "Taco Bell WISH they could make tacos like Grandpa Jonesey!"

Postby 2dimes on Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:33 pm

Should I start playing Little Wing or wait until I master the first song? I'm figuring the latter but I'm out of patience.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:04 pm

2dimes wrote:Should I start playing Little Wing or wait until I master the first song? I'm figuring the latter but I'm out of patience.

Start playing little wing. One, it's one of jimi's best, and two, if you keep trying just one song you stagnate and get stuck. Let the old one stew for a bit, come back to it and you might have new perspective or inspiration.
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby 2dimes on Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:20 pm

I just started the other song a few days ago it's not stagnate. I'd probably have it done but I have not been playing enough and the first day I ended up with a sore fretting hand. It doesn't help that the icy hand if old man winter has grasped this place.

I'll mess around with little wing though I agree it's one of the best songs.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby elfish_lad on Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:57 pm

Huh. Funny this topic. Just had a chilli made with rendered down red peppers in place of tomatoes. A friend’s in town from Van City to do some voice over tracks and she doesn’t eat tomatoes because of the acidity. ~shrugs~. I don’t get it either but whatever works. She had this vegan chilli recipe and we gave it a shot.

I was waaaaay beyond dubious.

Damn. It rocked.

A) roasted Red Peppers rocked in place of tomatoes and stole the show.
B) no meat? Zucchini and egg plant soaked in a homemade chilli powder/garlic/onion powder/cumin brine? Yummy.
C) fresh as heck hot peppers that the Mexi-Cali’s who come up to pick fruit bring with them and we picked out of the back of a beat to hell pick up truck? Nothing better.

Fantastic.

I’ll add minced turkey next time since I’m a carnivore, but it was stellar.
Major elfish_lad

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:00 am

Sounds good, but NO TOMATOES AT ALL? I'd find that difficult. I love 'em, and get through a boatload every week. Not eating tomatoes is like, well, like not drinking tea.

Postby riskllama on Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:17 am

yeah, people who don't eat tomatoes are fucked.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby elfish_lad on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:00 am

Yeah, this time of year I’m eating a tomato with my morning eggs. At lunch on my turkey sandwich. As a garnish with cucumbers at supper. I’ll pop one in my lunch kit and eat it like an apple tomorrow. Damn... I’m hungry now.
Major elfish_lad

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:03 am

I have four cookbooks just about tomatoes.

Postby KoolBak on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:09 am

Just finished annual canning of my garden shoite. Got approx 20 jars of my veggie "marinara" type sauce and 20 of spicy italian paste and 30 of HOT asian style sauces.

I use my stuff for all our cooking like chili, lasagna, spagetts, stir fry, whatevs.....DAMN good and all fresh ;o)

RL, I f I end up shipping you a jar of sanditas I can throw some other stuff in. Cant seem to get a real answer on sending homemade foodstuffs to great white hosers. I ship my company shit up there all the time, but....;o(

I use half sauce and half paste as the base for our chili. Then half burger and half sausage and a mix of say 5 kinds of beans and thats it. Flavor is from the homemade sauce and quality meats (mmmmmmm, meats.....).

My bride just found this butcher that does a burger grind that is half ground sirloin and half ground bacon....havent tried it yet but its goin in a pot o chili this weekend ;o)

AND:

Postby Symmetry on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:57 pm

elfish_lad wrote:Huh. Funny this topic. Just had a chilli made with rendered down red peppers in place of tomatoes. A friend’s in town from Van City to do some voice over tracks and she doesn’t eat tomatoes because of the acidity. ~shrugs~. I don’t get it either but whatever works. She had this vegan chilli recipe and we gave it a shot.

I was waaaaay beyond dubious.

Damn. It rocked.

A) roasted Red Peppers rocked in place of tomatoes and stole the show.
B) no meat? Zucchini and egg plant soaked in a homemade chilli powder/garlic/onion powder/cumin brine? Yummy.
C) fresh as heck hot peppers that the Mexi-Cali’s who come up to pick fruit bring with them and we picked out of the back of a beat to hell pick up truck? Nothing better.

Fantastic.

I’ll add minced turkey next time since I’m a carnivore, but it was stellar.

TBH- this was what I thought might work too- making a sauce out of roasted red peppers instead of tomatoes. Maybe add red wine vinegar to make it a bit more tomatoey too. Yellow and orange bell peppers should work almost as well, but chilli should look at least a reddish-brown, and green peppers are a little bitter.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby riskllama on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:37 pm

KoolBak wrote:Just finished annual canning of my garden shoite. Got approx 20 jars of my veggie "marinara" type sauce and 20 of spicy italian paste and 30 of HOT asian style sauces.

I use my stuff for all our cooking like chili, lasagna, spagetts, stir fry, whatevs.....DAMN good and all fresh ;o)

RL, I f I end up shipping you a jar of sanditas I can throw some other stuff in. Cant seem to get a real answer on sending homemade foodstuffs to great white hosers. I ship my company shit up there all the time, but....;o(

I use half sauce and half paste as the base for our chili. Then half burger and half sausage and a mix of say 5 kinds of beans and thats it. Flavor is from the homemade sauce and quality meats (mmmmmmm, meats.....).

My bride just found this butcher that does a burger grind that is half ground sirloin and half ground bacon....havent tried it yet but its goin in a pot o chili this weekend ;o)

yeah, i looked as well and couldn't find a yes/no definitive type answer. i do know that i received some xmas baking from the US, but that was before 9/11...*shrugs*
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Symmetry on Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:37 pm

Ask at your local post office. If they don't know, they'll know who to ask. It helps if your local post office is small though. Otherwise, maybe write to them and ask?

These kinds of problems are usually best solved directly. Literally ask the people who are going to send it if you can send it, and if yes, what's the best way.

Anything organic, especially if it might contain seeds, would definitely need a customs check/waiver of some sort though.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby elfish_lad on Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:57 am

KoolBak wrote:Just finished annual canning of my garden shoite. Got approx 20 jars of my veggie "marinara" type sauce and 20 of spicy italian paste and 30 of HOT asian style sauces.

Dude... I... um... love you.

E.
Major elfish_lad

Postby KoolBak on Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:00 am

:lol: Canooks are so cool....lol. You bring me some beer and I loves you too manno!

Here's a pic of some of my canning from last year....to damn lazy to upload another. I wish it was easier to post pix here :evil:

AND:

Postby 2dimes on Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:26 pm

Bring beer? Didn't I just come blab to you while my wife and daughter picked blueberries? You used to love me. My dog probably even pooped somewhere on your estate.

Having said that a decent Canuck would have brought the beer.

He likes Rye too but you might want to buy it down there since I suspect even the duty free is more expensive with our booze taxes.
Corporal 2dimes

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,