Conquer Club

IPCC report - countdown begins

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

IPCC report - countdown begins

Postby bigtoughralf on Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:10 am

Across the whole world CO2 emissions are 4.6 tons of CO2 per person per year.

12 major (10m+ population) countries emit more than double this amount, with those 12 emitting 34% of the world’s CO2 between them.

Four major countries emit more than triple this average: Canada, Australia, Saudi Arabia, USA. Between them they are responsible for 19% of the world’s CO2 emissions, about 14% of that is USA alone.

Did the USA’s CLEAN act pass yet? What is USA doing?

worldometers.info/co2-emissions/co2-emissions-per-capita/
Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Re: IPCC report - countdown begins

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:54 am

I have already commented on this topic extensively and those comments are scattered in various threads in this Forum. I will offer links to some of them here.

I will also offer a comment in at least one of them. This will allow the discussion to move forward. Review some of the discussion reminds me of the threads on COVID Vaccines. There are a few naysayers who FEEL compelled to deny the overwhelming evidence offered by Science since "This is what my Tribe believes." They offer little real Science to support their incorrect conjectures, assumptions, and their utter lies.

1) https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=236047&p=5213215&hilit=Global+Warming#p5213215

Congrats to China
Postby mookiemcgee on Thu May 06, 2021 11:11 pm

Congrats China!!! You are now beating the entire developed world!!!! Can I get an amen Mrsdyk????

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/china-s-emi%20...%20-1.1599997

jusplay4fun on Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:41 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:
Congrats China!!! You are now beating the entire developed world!!!! Can I get an amen Mrsdyk????

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/china-s-emi%20...%20-1.1599997

That is a great thing to be noted for in this time of human history.

In case you did NOT click on the above link:

May 6, 2021

China's emissions now exceed all the developed world's combined

China now accounts for more greenhouse gas emissions than all of the world’s developed nations combined, according to new research from Rhodium Group.

2) https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=228407&p=5126159&hilit=Global+Warming#p5126159
Re: Global Warming
Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:19 am

For those that missed (or perhaps, ignored) this evidence in other threads on this topic:

Global Warming is due to man-made activity, to greater than 95% probability. The main factor is release of Greenhouse gases, mostly CO2, which has now reached unprecedented levels, over 300 ppm. What is the source of all this CO2? Simple: burning of fossil fuels, such as octane, a main component in gasoline: 2C8H18 + 25 O2 ...> 18 H2O + 16 CO2

Note that 2 moles of octane (C8H18) yields 8 times as many moles of CO2, carbon dioxide. Simple Chemistry. Ergo, CO2 levels go up, Greenhouse effect occurs, and heat is trapped and the average temperature of the earth increases. Ergo: Global Warming.

The evidence for rapid climate change is compelling:

"The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is extremely likely (greater than 95 percent probability) to be the result of human activity since the mid-20th century and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented over decades to millennia."

Also:
"The planet's average surface temperature has risen about 1.62 degrees Fahrenheit (0.9 degrees Celsius) since the late 19th century, a change driven largely by increased carbon dioxide and other human-made emissions into the atmosphere.4 Most of the warming occurred in the past 35 years, with the five warmest years on record taking place since 2010. Not only was 2016 the warmest year on record, but eight of the 12 months that make up the year — from January through September, with the exception of June — were the warmest on record for those respective months."

All quotes from the same source, cited below;

https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

3) https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=228407&p=5125911&hilit=Global+Warming#p5125911
Re: Global Warming
Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:19 am

For those that missed (or perhaps, ignored) this evidence in other threads on this topic:

Global Warming is due to man-made activity, to greater than 95% probability. The main factor is release of Greenhouse gases, mostly CO2, which has now reached unprecedented levels, over 300 ppm. What is the source of all this CO2? Simple: burning of fossil fuels, such as octane, a main component in gasoline: 2C8H18 + 25 O2 ...> 18 H2O + 16 CO2

Note that 2 moles of octane (C8H18) yields 8 times as many moles of CO2, carbon dioxide. Simple Chemistry. Ergo, CO2 levels go up, Greenhouse effect occurs, and heat is trapped and the average temperature of the earth increases. Ergo: Global Warming.

The evidence for rapid climate change is compelling:

"The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is extremely likely (greater than 95 percent probability) to be the result of human activity since the mid-20th century and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented over decades to millennia."

Also:
"The planet's average surface temperature has risen about 1.62 degrees Fahrenheit (0.9 degrees Celsius) since the late 19th century, a change driven largely by increased carbon dioxide and other human-made emissions into the atmosphere.4 Most of the warming occurred in the past 35 years, with the five warmest years on record taking place since 2010. Not only was 2016 the warmest year on record, but eight of the 12 months that make up the year — from January through September, with the exception of June — were the warmest on record for those respective months."

All quotes from the same source, cited below;

JP4Fun

Sergeant 1st Class jusplay4fun

Postby bigtoughralf on Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:30 am

So your main response is a deflection to what China is doing?

Does anyone know about CLEAN? I heard it was meant to commit the US to achieving net zero but can’t find any info online about what happened to it.
Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:10 am

bigtoughralf wrote:So your main response is a deflection to what China is doing?

Does anyone know about CLEAN? I heard it was meant to commit the US to achieving net zero but can’t find any info online about what happened to it.

You apparently did NOT READ much of what I posted above if that is your only take-away. I will not give you a repeat of some 3-4 years of posts. I did give you a brief summary of a few of my MAIN points. I see no need for me to repeat what is already been discussed; if you are interested, check the threads I already provided links for your edification.

As far as CLEAN, if you cannot find it, why bother?

I will offer one more post, from many that I have already made:

Global Warming Evidence from NASA

1) Global Temperature Rise
The planet's average surface temperature has risen about 1.62 degrees Fahrenheit (0.9 degrees Celsius) since the late 19th century, a change driven largely by increased carbon dioxide and other human-made emissions into the atmosphere.4 Most of the warming occurred in the past 35 years, with the five warmest years on record taking place since 2010. Not only was 2016 the warmest year on record, but eight of the 12 months that make up the year — from January through September, with the exception of June — were the warmest on record for those respective months. 5

2) Warming Oceans
The oceans have absorbed much of this increased heat, with the top 700 meters (about 2,300 feet) of ocean showing warming of more than 0.4 degrees Fahrenheit since 1969. 6

3) Shrinking Ice Sheets
The Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets have decreased in mass. Data from NASA's Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment show Greenland lost an average of 286 billion tons of ice per year between 1993 and 2016, while Antarctica lost about 127 billion tons of ice per year during the same time period. The rate of Antarctica ice mass loss has tripled in the last decade. 7

4) Glacial Retreat
Glaciers are retreating almost everywhere around the world — including in the Alps, Himalayas, Andes, Rockies, Alaska and Africa. 8

5) Decreased Snow Cover

Satellite observations reveal that the amount of spring snow cover in the Northern Hemisphere has decreased over the past five decades and that the snow is melting earlier.9

6) Sea Level Rise
Both the extent and thickness of Arctic sea ice has declined rapidly over the last several decades.11

7) Extreme Events

The number of record high temperature events in the United States has been increasing, while the number of record low temperature events has been decreasing, since 1950. The U.S. has also witnessed increasing numbers of intense rainfall events.12

8) Ocean Acidification
Since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, the acidity of surface ocean waters has increased by about 30 percent.13,14 This increase is the result of humans emitting more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere and hence more being absorbed into the oceans. The amount of carbon dioxide absorbed by the upper layer of the oceans is increasing by about 2 billion tons per year.15,16
JP4Fun

Postby bigtoughralf on Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:44 am

I asked about America’s CLEAN Future Act and whether that has been put in place yet. You responded by copy-pasting a load of stats demonstrating that climate change does exist. I’m not sure you understood my original question.

For anyone who speaks English as a first language: has the US passed its CLEAN Future Act yet, and/or do you know what steps its government is taking to reduce the nation’s carbon footprint?
Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:18 pm

bigtoughralf wrote:I asked about America’s CLEAN Future Act and whether that has been put in place yet. You responded by copy-pasting a load of stats demonstrating that climate change does exist. I’m not sure you understood my original question.

For anyone who speaks English as a first language: has the US passed its CLEAN Future Act yet, and/or do you know what steps its government is taking to reduce the nation’s carbon footprint?

You raised the question. I challenged you to find your answer yourself. I do understand your question and no have intent on answering it for you. Have you heard of Google? If not, try using that to answer your own question.

AND, btw, your question was poorly worded and vague, too. So try Grammarly. Further, IPCC deals with Climate Change and Global warming. Any more questions?
JP4Fun

Postby bigtoughralf on Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:09 am

That’s a lot of words to say ‘I don’t know’.
Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby jusplay4fun on Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:21 am

Same for you, unless you took some initiative.

If that is your main and apparently ONLY concern, why call the title of this thread IPCC report when you only want info on CLEAN? THAT make NO sense.

IPCC is the main entity examining and reporting on Global Warming. It has been attacked here and elsewhere on Social Media for its attempt to educate people on the 1) the facts, 2) the dangers, and 3) remediation steps needed about Global Warming and Climate Change.

Be clear on what you want. Mean what say and say what you mean. Avoid ambiguous posts is my suggestion, especially if you want information.

Here are the results of a Google search I JUST now did:
About 1,950,000,000 results (0.58 seconds)

I am sure you are capable of such an easy task to do such a search, even if you left out a key term in your inquiry.
JP4Fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:11 am

Further note that when the question was first posed, a key word was omitted.

The bill in Congress is called the CLEAN Future Act. So without that key word, the question posed was very vague and further, there was a lack of connection to the title of this thread. The guy who posed the question, bigtoughralf, has clarified the question for me; hence I sent him information about the Act. I will now post what I learned about it.

House Democrats Introduce Revised CLEAN Future Act, Readying Chamber for Action on Climate Change and Infrastructure
Friday, March 5, 2021
Background
On March 2, House Energy and Commerce Committee Democrats formally introduced the Climate Leadership and Environmental Action for our Nation’s (CLEAN) Future Act (H.R. 1512). The introduction of the bill follows the release of draft legislation by the Committee’s Democratic majority in January 2020. The updated version of the bill makes several significant revisions to last year’s draft bill to align with President Biden’s campaign pledges for climate policy. The sponsors of the bill provided a fact sheet detailing updates.

The revised version of the CLEAN Future Act would set national targets to achieve a 50% reduction in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from 2005 levels by 2030 and a net-zero GHG economy by 2050. To achieve these targets, the bill would mandate regulatory standards in the power, transportation, buildings, and industrial sectors and authorize $565 billion in federal spending over ten years to enable deep decarbonization.

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/house-democrats-introduce-revised-clean-future-act-readying-chamber-action-climate

I will add that apparently the bill (or act) is bogged down in the US Congress over political squabbling and is not moving much. Hence it has not been in the news and has not made any headlines over the roar of Afghanistan, COVID, the vaccine and mask fights, and general political wrangles (and wranglings).
JP4Fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:37 pm

bigtoughralf wrote:Across the whole world CO2 emissions are 4.6 tons of CO2 per person per year.

12 major (10m+ population) countries emit more than double this amount, with those 12 emitting 34% of the world’s CO2 between them.

Four major countries emit more than triple this average: Canada, Australia, Saudi Arabia, USA. Between them they are responsible for 19% of the world’s CO2 emissions, about 14% of that is USA alone.

Did the USA’s CLEAN act pass yet? What is USA doing?

worldometers.info/co2-emissions/co2-emissions-per-capita/

I do not agree with your data that you cite. I found it odd that you left out China. And India and Russia are also left out.

Per Capita may be important, but to see that China emits over double the US TOTAL CO2 emissions is SIGNIFICANT.

Country CO2 Emissions
(tons, 2016) 1 Year
Change Population
(2016) Per
capita Share
of world
1 China 10,432,751,400 -0.28% 1,414,049,351 7.38 29.18%
2 United States 5,011,686,600 -2.01% 323,015,995 15.52 14.02%
3 India 2,533,638,100 4.71% 1,324,517,249 1.91 7.09%
4 Russia 1,661,899,300 -2.13% 145,275,383 11.44 4.65%
5 Japan 1,239,592,060 -1.21% 127,763,265 9.70 3.47%
6 Germany 775,752,190 1.28% 82,193,768 9.44 2.17%
7 Canada 675,918,610 -1.00% 36,382,944 18.58 1.89%
8 Iran 642,560,030 2.22% 79,563,989 8.08 1.80%
9 South Korea 604,043,830 0.45% 50,983,457 11.85 1.69%
10 Indonesia 530,035,650 6.41% 261,556,381 2.03 1.48%
11 Saudi Arabia 517,079,407 0.92% 32,443,447 15.94 1.45%
12 Brazil 462,994,920 -6.08% 206,163,053 2.25 1.29%
13 Mexico 441,412,750 -2.13% 123,333,376 3.58 1.23%
14 Australia 414,988,700 -0.98% 24,262,712 17.10 1.16%

NOTE too that the USA (and Brazil) has significant REDUCTION in CO2 emissions in the one year change column. China only reduced CO2 by 0.28%; USA -2.01%

This website is poor in citing WHAT year their data, other than population, is being considered. I was interested in seeing what year the reduction of CO2 occurred, in light of President Trump NOT honoring the Paris Climate Accord. I will say that many US Corporations are attempting to reduce their CO2 emissions without government mandates and I find such efforts laudable.

This table does not copy well here, but please see this link:

https://www.worldometers.info/co2-emissions/co2-emissions-by-country/

I did more digging:

CO2 Emissions per Capita
# Country CO2 Emissions per capita (tons)
1 China 7.38
2 United States 15.52
3 India 1.91
4 Russia 11.44
https://www.worldometers.info/co2-emissions/co2-emissions-per-capita/

The above table seems odd to me, even though I referenced it and asked for per Capita data.

So, yes, the USA does emit LOTS of CO2, but your data ignores China, India, and Russia. THAT I find misleading. As perhaps is mine, too.
JP4Fun

Postby bigtoughralf on Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:41 am

jusplay4fun wrote:I do not agree with your data that you cite. I found it odd that you left out China. And India and Russia are also left out.

I left them out because their per capita emissions are far lower, and so there is relatively less they can do to reduce their footprints. Looking at your stats the average American is responsible for twice the emissions that the average Chinese is responsible for, so China's emissions as a country are higher only because their population is like 4x the size of the US.

It's like how if my children and I are a healthy weight and my wife is a big fat porker, and we needed to reduce our family food bill, the kids and I combined eat more than my wife eats on her own but it's her big fat KFC diet that it'd be easiest to make some cuts to.
Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Sep 06, 2021 2:42 pm

bigtoughralf wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:I do not agree with your data that you cite. I found it odd that you left out China. And India and Russia are also left out.

I left them out because their per capita emissions are far lower, and so there is relatively less they can do to reduce their footprints. Looking at your stats the average American is responsible for twice the emissions that the average Chinese is responsible for, so China's emissions as a country are higher only because their population is like 4x the size of the US.

It's like how if my children and I are a healthy weight and my wife is a big fat porker, and we needed to reduce our family food bill, the kids and I combined eat more than my wife eats on her own but it's her big fat KFC diet that it'd be easiest to make some cuts to.

I understand your point and I understand per capita. My point is that if the USA reduces 2% and China reduces only 0.2%, that does not help the OVERALL situation.

China is the #1 polluter and FURTHER, not reducing much. I think that the Paris accord gives the Chinese MORE TIME to meet CO2 emission reductions vs. USA and Europe.

AND YES, the USA is a profligate nation in terms of energy and resources usage. I lament the disposable society in our country. We throw away SO MUCH, mostly Plastics, BUT lots more, too. We waste ENERGY, LOTS of it. For example, many hotels leave a LIGHT on in EACH room, even when empty on weekdays. There is a story that President Nixon light a fire in the fireplace in the White House because the A/C was set TOO LOW,...! in the SUMMER...!! (before the Arab Oil Embargo). What waste. Also, I see people leave cars running for over 5 minutes when they go to visit someone in a house. There are TONS of other examples.
JP4Fun

Postby mookiemcgee on Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:23 pm

bigtoughralf wrote:I asked about America’s CLEAN Future Act and whether that has been put in place yet. You responded by copy-pasting a load of stats demonstrating that climate change does exist. I’m not sure you understood my original question.

I believe we opt'ed for (and you can take your pick both answers are correct):

a) Just let god handle it

b) Just let corporations handle it

Frankly, given how much americans hate and distrust their own leaders option B probably has a better chance of affecting change than the gov't does of passing anything along the lines of 'CLEAN Future Act'
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby bigtoughralf on Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:25 pm

Corporations have basically replaced government in a fair few Western countries anyway. At least they actually know how to manage resources and hit a deadline, I guess.
Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby jusplay4fun on Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:21 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:
bigtoughralf wrote:

I understand your point and I understand per capita. My point is that if the USA reduces 2% and China reduces only 0.2%, that does not help the OVERALL situation.

China is the #1 polluter and FURTHER, not reducing much. I think that the Paris accord gives the Chinese MORE TIME to meet CO2 emission reductions vs. USA and Europe.

AND YES, the USA is a profligate nation in terms of energy and resources usage. I lament the disposable society in our country. We throw away SO MUCH, mostly Plastics, BUT lots more, too. We waste ENERGY, LOTS of it. For example, many hotels leave a LIGHT on in EACH room, even when empty on weekdays. There is a story that President Nixon light a fire in the fireplace in the White House because the A/C was set TOO LOW,...! in the SUMMER...!! (before the Arab Oil Embargo). What waste. Also, I see people leave cars running for over 5 minutes when they go to visit someone in a house. There are TONS of other examples.

Please see:
https://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=228407&start=75

China’s power & steel firms continue to invest in coal

New coal power and steel projects announced in China in the first half of 2021 alone will
emit CO2 equal to Netherland’s total emissions, new mapping of the project pipeline
shows. A total of 18 new blast furnace projects with a total capacity of 35 million tonnes
per year and 43 new coal-fired power plant units were announced; if approved and built,
they will emit an estimated 150 million tonnes of CO2 a year. State-owned power and steel
firms have continued to build and announce new coal-based projects, even as China’s
leadership has pledged to aim for carbon neutrality and called for strictly controlling
“high-energy, high-emission” projects.

I plan to post in the Global Warming thread (linked above), instead of adding comments here. There are too many threads on the same topic.
JP4Fun

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,