Conquer Club

Newfoundland to supply German energy needs

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Newfoundland to supply German energy needs

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:55 pm

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/trudeau-and-german-chancellor-olaf-scholz-to-sign-hydrogen-deal-in-newfoundland-1.6026866

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and German Chancellor Olaf Scholz are set to sign a green energy agreement later this month in Newfoundland that could prove pivotal to Canada's nascent hydrogen industry.

The German government on Friday issued a statement confirming the agreement will be signed Aug. 23 in Stephenville, where a Newfoundland-based company plans to build a zero-emission plant that will use wind energy to produce hydrogen and amonia for export.

If approved, the project would be the first of its kind in Canada.

Germany is keen to find new sources of energy because Russia's invasion of Ukraine has led to a surge in natural gas prices. As well, Russia has reduced its flow of natural gas to its European customers, prompting concerns about supply shortages.

Meanwhile, the company behind the Newfoundland project, World Energy GH2, has said the first phase of the proposal calls for building up 164 onshore wind turbines to power a hydrogen production facility at the deep-sea port at Stephenville. Long-term plans call for tripling the size of the project.

"There is a heightened urgency for Canada to step into this new market that's in such high demand," said Stephenville Mayor Tom Rose, who noted the province did not lift a moratorium on wind farm development until this year.

"We're poised now to be the green energy hub of North America."

Among the companies behind the project is CFFI Ventures Inc., led by Nova Scotia-based billionaire John Risley, who is best known as co-founder of Clearwater Seafoods.

As for Trudeau and Scholz, Rose said they will be joined in Stephenville by cabinet ministers and a delegation of German business leaders who will attend a green energy trade show before the signing ceremony.

Rose said Stephenville is an ideal place for a wind farm because the area is known for having a world-class "wind corridor." As well, the town has the means to produce the large amounts of water needed for hydrogen production because heavy-duty infrastructure remains in place from the Abitibi-Price paper mill that closed in 2005.

"It appears to be the energy of the future and the demand is very robust," said Rose, who was born and raised in the area. "We're stepping up when another country needs our resources."

The multibillion-dollar project was registered with the province in June and now requires an environmental impact statement.

In its proposal, World Energy GH2 says it is on the cutting edge of a new, green industry.

"The development of large-scale green hydrogen production facilities is just starting, providing (Newfoundland and Labrador) and Canada with the opportunity and advantages of being a first mover in the green energy sector," the proposal says.

"(Newfoundland and Labrador's unique geography, strong wind resource and proximity to large centres of demand, will make it a globally competitive green hydrogen producing region."
ā€œā€ŽLife is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.ā€
ā€• Voltaire
Captain Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Re: Newfoundland to supply German energy needs

Postby mookiemcgee on Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:05 pm

How does the transportation of hydrogen work now in scaled situations like this? They convert to ammonia and then back to hydrogen when it arrives in German?

legit question, images of the hindenburg swirling through my mind reading this but I'm sure there are modern answers.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:06 pm

Sounds like a good idea, Duk.
JP4Fun

Sergeant 1st Class jusplay4fun

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:47 am

Classic CTV churnalism; regurgitating a Trudeau press release to make a minor footnote sound like a "we outsmarted the Russians!" coup. This plant won't be ready until 2025 (at the earliest - it's currently being protested by environmentalists concerned with its impact on wildlife).

At peak capacity it will produce 2.5 GW of power annually.

Germany uses 500,000 GW of power annually.

In other words, if 100% of the power went to Germany it would provide 4 minutes of energy.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I STAND WITH THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:47 am

Google searches for "firewood" in Germany have increased four fold.

https://twitter.com/JavierBlas/status/1 ... n2K2w&s=19

Being a war financier has consequences.

I hope this winter is extra cold.
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:34 pm

saxi disregards the value of LEARNING by trying new technologies. I am sure there was a "saxi-like" curmudgeon who asked "Why do we need to use computers? We can calculate that using pencil and paper."

And computers never got better, RIGHT? 8-) Look up Moore's Law, saxi.
JP4Fun

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:27 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:saxi disregards the value of LEARNING by trying new technologies. I am sure there was a "saxi-like" curmudgeon who asked "Why do we need to use computers? We can calculate that using pencil and paper."

It took three years to develop the first computer.

Not sure Germans are willing to freeze for three straight winters. But maybe.
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby bigtoughralf on Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:06 pm

saxitoxin wrote:Not sure Germans are willing to freeze for three straight winters. But maybe.

tbf a lot of Germans did put a Ukraine flat in their Facebook profile picture, so they've already shown they're willing to stand up and be counted.

https://www.unicef.org.uk/donate/children-in-gaza-crisis-appeal/

https://www.savethechildren.org.uk/how-you-can-help/emergencies/gaza-crisis
Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:26 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:saxi disregards the value of LEARNING by trying new technologies. I am sure there was a "saxi-like" curmudgeon who asked "Why do we need to use computers? We can calculate that using pencil and paper."

It took three years to develop the first computer.

Not sure Germans are willing to freeze for three straight winters. But maybe.

Such a major change will not happen in one year, barring a cataclysmic event. Weaning away from fossil fuels will take a long while. Even saxi took 3 years to change from liquid formula to solid food. I heard saxi's mother was too vain to breast feed him. ;)
JP4Fun

Postby saxitoxin on Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:39 am

The German government today announced an average $1000 extra levy per household for energy for the next two years due to shortage of supply created by Russia's sanctions on Germany.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62554464

:lol: =D>

I guess Trudeau's plan failed. Fortunately he funds the CBC so the voters won't learn about it.
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:34 am

saxitoxin wrote:The German government today announced an average $1000 extra levy per household for energy for the next two years due to shortage of supply created by Russia's sanctions on Germany.

I guess Trudeau's plan failed. Fortunately he funds the CBC so the voters won't learn about it.

I am confident that saxi again draws the wrong conclusion from this article. He wants to put all this in the worst light possible. NO Surprise; Nothing New from saxi.
JP4Fun

Postby saxitoxin on Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:58 am

jusplay4fun wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:The German government today announced an average $1000 extra levy per household for energy for the next two years due to shortage of supply created by Russia's sanctions on Germany.

I am confident that saxi again draws the wrong conclusion from this article. He wants to put all this in the worst light possible. NO Surprise; Nothing New from saxi.

True. The plus side of paying $1000 more for energy is that you won't have as much money for food. Obesity may become less of a concern.
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:48 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:

True. The plus side of paying $1000 more for energy is that you won't have as much money for food. Obesity may become less of a concern.

The small(er) silver lining, saxi?? :D
JP4Fun

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:04 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:

The irony of an Russian American calling germans overweight is strong.

Sorry to say, but Germans only have HALF asmuch fat to survive on during hard times ahead.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby bigtoughralf on Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:47 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:The irony of an Russian American calling germans overweight is strong.

Look at the Westerners fighting over whose country is least fat and morally decadent :lol:

Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby mookiemcgee on Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:02 pm

bigtoughralf wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:The irony of an Russian American calling germans overweight is strong.

Look at the Westerners fighting over whose country is least fat and morally decadent :lol:

Did you forget you were wearing your Irish persona when you wrote this?
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby bigtoughralf on Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:12 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:
bigtoughralf wrote:

Ireland isn't Western:

• Never part of the Roman Empire (where the concept of 'the West' originated)
  • Retained its Celtic culture rather than being sucked into classical Europe's cultural sphere
  • Subsequently invaded and treated as a colony, same as African or south Asian regions
  • Since independence has remained militarily unaligned, is not in NATO, gives political support to Palestine and other victims of neoimperial oppression etc

Ireland is not and has never been part of Club Imperial aka The West.

That is why Irish are welcomed as brothers by blacks and Arabs. They recognise that we are one of them, not bastard oppressors.

Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby saxitoxin on Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:24 pm

bigtoughralf wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:
bigtoughralf wrote:

Ireland isn't Western:

• Retained its Celtic culture rather than being sucked into classical Europe's cultural sphere
  • Subsequently invaded and treated as a colony, same as African or south Asian regions
  • Since independence has remained militarily unaligned, is not in NATO, gives political support to Palestine and other victims of neoimperial oppression etc

That is why Irish are welcomed as brothers by blacks and Arabs. They recognise that we are one of them, not bastard oppressors.

Exactly. That's why the Roman Catholic Church never got a foothold in Ireland and most Irish are Druids to this day.
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:51 pm

saxitoxin wrote:
bigtoughralf wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:
bigtoughralf wrote:

Ireland isn't Western:

Exactly. That's why the Roman Catholic Church never got a foothold in Ireland and most Irish are Druids to this day.

In the 2016 Irish census 78.3% of the population identified as Catholic in Ireland; numbering approximately 3.7 million people.

saxi and ralph need to get out once in a while and leave their shared basement; they should also to read more:

Based on 2011-2013 census data from Britain, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Ireland, and 2008 ARIS Report data from the United States, the population of Druids residing in anglophone nations was estimated at 59,299

How the Irish Saved Civilization: The Untold Story of Ireland's Heroic Role From the Fall of Rome to the Rise of Medieval Europe (The Hinges of History)
by Thomas Cahill (Author)

How the Irish Became White / Edition 1
by Noel Ignatiev

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/how-the-irish-became-white-noel-ignatiev/1101540330

Conclusion: saxi again offers another false narrative and more fake news. Do not bother to read more on this topic from them as both saxi and his PAL ralph are wrong again.
JP4Fun

Postby Maxleod on Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:08 pm

LOL. JP doesn't get sarcasm. And he thinks he's so smart....
Sergeant 1st Class Maxleod

Location: DARDIS (Drunkness And Relative Dimensions In Sleep)

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:34 pm

Maxleod wrote:LOL. JP doesn't get sarcasm. And he thinks he's so smart....

yes, saxi tries to be sarcastic and funny; you are just stupid.

And I proved saxi and his silly buddy ralph are both wrong. ralph totally does not comprehend the Irish; he merely THINKS he understands them as oppressed people. And he failed his Irish History class; Bobby and Brian are two different names and two different people.

'nuff said.
JP4Fun

Postby riskllama on Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:42 pm

Maxleod wrote:LOL. JP doesn't get sarcasm. And he thinks he's so smart....

agreed. I have observed this countless times.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:45 pm

mookiemcgee wrote:How does the transportation of hydrogen work now in scaled situations like this? They convert to ammonia and then back to hydrogen when it arrives in German?

legit question, images of the hindenburg swirling through my mind reading this but I'm sure there are modern answers.

I will assume ammonia is used to produce fertilizer. I am aware of an ammonia (NH3) plant that takes nitrogen from the air and strips hydrogen from methane, CH4. The process is then used to make CO2 as a by-product, sold for carbonation for beer and soda. The carbon is left over from methane, and oxygen is from the air. The plant supplies three CO2 manufacturing plants around it.

Hydrogen, as you suggest, Mookie, is too dangerous and difficult to transport. Ammonia can be used to make ammonium compounds, such as urea and ammonium nitrate, that are applied as crop fertilizers. What fertilizers are used to grow grapes?
JP4Fun

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:52 pm

jusplay4fun wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:
jusplay4fun wrote:

The small(er) silver lining, saxi?? :D

stooopid people miss the sarcasm here; sad.
JP4Fun

Postby mookiemcgee on Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:17 am

jusplay4fun wrote:
mookiemcgee wrote:How does the transportation of hydrogen work now in scaled situations like this? They convert to ammonia and then back to hydrogen when it arrives in German?

I will assume ammonia is used to produce fertilizer. I am aware of an ammonia (NH3) plant that takes nitrogen from the air and strips hydrogen from methane, CH4. The process is then used to make CO2 as a by-product, sold for carbonation for beer and soda. The carbon is left over from methane, and oxygen is from the air. The plant supplies three CO2 manufacturing plants around it.

Hydrogen, as you suggest, Mookie, is too dangerous and difficult to transport. Ammonia can be used to make ammonium compounds, such as urea and ammonium nitrate, that are applied as crop fertilizers. What fertilizers are used to grow grapes?

no, not fertilizer. i'm talking about Hydrogen converted into an ammonia compound for transport and then converted back to hydrogen (once in germany).

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... cal%20cell.

Bear Shit from bears that ate grapes.
Colonel mookiemcgee

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,