Conquer Club

Rotisserie Chicken

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Rotisserie Chicken

Postby HitRed on Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:42 am

Rotisserie Chicken and King’s Hawaiian Bread
Captain HitRed

Re: Rotisserie Chicken

Postby 2dimes on Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:57 am

St. Hubert?
Corporal 2dimes

Postby mookiemcgee on Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:21 am

Kenny Rogers?
Colonel mookiemcgee

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:40 pm

HitRed wrote:Rotisserie Chicken and King’s Hawaiian Bread

I literally can't purchase King's Hawaiian. I just eat it all the minute I get it.

Supposedly you couldn't even get King's Hawaiian east of the Mississippi River until a few years ago.
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:16 pm

saxitoxin wrote:

I literally can't purchase King's Hawaiian. I just eat it all the minute I get it.

Supposedly you couldn't even get King's Hawaiian east of the Mississippi River until a few years ago.

I've never even heard of it and I don't feel that my life is in danger.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:48 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:

I've never even heard of it and I don't feel that my life is in danger.

IT IS

Corporal saxitoxin

Postby saxitoxin on Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:56 pm

Apparently there's a King's Hawaiian RESTAURANT in Torrance. One day, if I'm able to stockpile enough ammunition to safely travel to Torrance, I'm going to go there. And I'll weigh about 200 pounds by the time I leave. Then I'll just need to grow a beard and I'll look like a real Hawaiian lady.

Corporal saxitoxin

Postby jusplay4fun on Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:40 pm

King’s Hawaiian® products,

I enjoy this bread.

https://kingshawaiian.com/

A LEGACY OF BAKING WITH ALOHA BEGINS.
Our mouthwatering tale begins in the 1950’s in Hilo, Hawaii. There Robert R. Taira, the Hawaiian-born son of Japanese immigrants who graduated top of his baking class, opened his first bakeshop: Robert’s Bakery. Here is where the first soft round loaves of the Original Hawaiian Sweet bread were made. According to locals, the loaves rarely ever made it home before being devoured. Through hard work and his steadfast commitment to delivering an irresistible product, Robert had successfully created a traditional island favorite.

(...)

INTO THE HEARTS, AND ONTO
THE PLATES, OF THE MAINLAND.
While King’s Bakery was a local favorite, word had spread far and wide about the deliciously irresistible breads and cakes created with the Aloha spirit by the Taira family. Our Original Hawaiian Sweet Bread was shipped to the mainland by locals and tourists alike as gifts for their families and friends. Being an entrepreneur at heart, Robert was determined to spread his Aloha Spirit all across the mainland. In 1977 a new 24,000 square foot bakery was built in Torrance, California. Robert bestowed this new venture with the name we all know today, King’s Hawaiian Bakery.

(...)

EXPANSION TO THE EAST COAST.
To better serve our East Coast ‘ohana we started production on a third bakery facility in Oakwood, Georgia in 2010, which has provided over 300 jobs for the Georgia community. We have partnered with the food science program at the University of Georgia, and gained knowledge from Georgia Tech’s manufacturing and robotics expertise
Last edited by jusplay4fun on Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
JP4Fun

Sergeant 1st Class jusplay4fun

Postby Dukasaur on Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:29 pm

saxitoxin wrote:Apparently there's a King's Hawaiian RESTAURANT in Torrance. One day, if I'm able to stockpile enough ammunition to safely travel to Torrance, I'm going to go there. And I'll weigh about 200 pounds by the time I leave. Then I'll just need to grow a beard and I'll look like a real Hawaiian lady.

I stayed with some friends in Torrance in '79 for a few days. It was a nice clean town then. I suppose a lot could have changed in 40 years.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby jusplay4fun on Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:47 am

Dukasaur wrote:
saxitoxin wrote:Apparently there's a King's Hawaiian RESTAURANT in Torrance. One day, if I'm able to stockpile enough ammunition to safely travel to Torrance, I'm going to go there. And I'll weigh about 200 pounds by the time I leave. Then I'll just need to grow a beard and I'll look like a real Hawaiian lady.

I stayed with some friends in Torrance in '79 for a few days. It was a nice clean town then. I suppose a lot could have changed in 40 years.

HOME IS WHERE THE BAKERY IS.
In 1983, Robert responded to increasing requests for new ways to enjoy the Original Hawaiian Sweet Bread by creating the 12 pack of Original Hawaiian Sweet Dinner Rolls. Then in 1986, Robert baked up the Honey Wheat Round Bread to the delight of bread lovers everywhere.

While the expansion of the bread line into rolls allowed more consumers to enjoy the bread for holiday dinners and celebrations, Robert was missing the personal interaction with the South Bay locals who had become ‘ohana (family) to him. So, in 1988 Robert opened a family run bakery and restaurant in Torrance. The bakery menu included Robert’s legendary tropical cakes, and the restaurant boasted many Hawaiian local plate dishes. You can find all of his original recipes still showcased to this day!

https://kingshawaiian.com/our-story/
JP4Fun

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:23 am

Yeah, back then our main source of nutrition was champagne, lol. I don't remember what solid foods we ate, if any, but they were always an afterthought.

:lol:
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby 2dimes on Fri Jun 09, 2023 11:19 pm

Ok, found Kings Hawaiian rolls. I'm skeptical, wife said we have had them, no recollection, find out what's up tomorrow.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:40 am

2dimes wrote:Ok, found Kings Hawaiian rolls. I'm skeptical, wife said we have had them, no recollection, find out what's up tomorrow.

At least you show self-control, unlike saxi..! :D
JP4Fun

Postby bigtoughralf on Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:11 am

Poor Hawaii. Their entire native culture reduced to an advertising gimmick for their colonisers to use to sell European food.

https://www.unicef.org.uk/donate/children-in-gaza-crisis-appeal/

https://www.savethechildren.org.uk/how-you-can-help/emergencies/gaza-crisis
Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:03 am

bigtoughralf wrote:Poor Hawaii. Their entire native culture reduced to an advertising gimmick for their colonisers to use to sell European food.

No, wrong again, ralph. Tourism is their biggest industry (or sector of their economy or income). So are pineapples and sugar.
JP4Fun

Postby KoolBak on Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:50 am

Wrong, Billy.

Been going to hawaii biannually for over 50 years. The sugarcane production quit many many years ago - I believe the last mill holdout closed in 2016?

Kauai was pretty much 90% sugarcane production. As a kid I recall almost dying regularly from the crazy haul-cane trucks :lol: Gone for 30 years....

Pineapple is still produced but in greatly reduced quantities.

Macadamia nuts and coffee are still viable.....
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby 2dimes on Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:25 pm

King's Hawwaiian origional Hawaiian sweet rolls update: I kind of like them, seems to be a commercial version of the buns the Hutterites just east of Pincher Creek make.

They make a good Cajun Chicken Club sandwich.

Bun
Bacon
Cajun chicken lunch meat
Lettuce
Tomato
Mayonnaise
Corporal 2dimes

Postby jusplay4fun on Sat Jun 10, 2023 1:48 pm

Even if agriculture, and sugar specifically, is not as important as it used to be for the Hawaiian Economy, tourism is still #1 and ralph is wrong, again.

The Economy Of Hawaii
Tourism has been the largest industry in Hawaii since it achieved statehood in 1959. It accounts for about a fifth of the gross state product, though the state government has made efforts to diversify and reduce the dependency. Other core sectors of the economy are the service industry, fishing, education, agriculture, and defense. The unemployment rate is one of the lowest in the country.

(...)

Tourism
Tourism is the largest economic sector in Hawaii. It accounts for approximately 21% of the state’s economy and generates over $16 billion in revenue. The state receives about 9 million visitors annually. Tourism largely remains constant throughout the year due to the mild weather of the islands.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/what-are-the-biggest-industries-in-hawaii.html#:~:text=Tourism%20is%20the%20largest%20economic,mild%20weather%20of%20the%20islands.
JP4Fun

Postby KoolBak on Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:07 am

Since we're clarifying....

1. MrSwdke is a complete waste of skin and, as usual, was simply being a facetious ass.

2. You said sugarcane was also the biggest industry along with tourism.

3. You were totally wrong.

I believe we're done here.
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby jimboston on Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:08 pm

KoolBak wrote:Since we're clarifying....

1. MrSwdke is a complete waste of skin and, as usual, was simply being a facetious ass.

Do you expect him to admit error?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Private 1st Class jimboston

Postby jusplay4fun on Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:51 pm

KoolBak wrote:Since we're clarifying....

No, wrong again. And I got 2 of 3 right, unlike ralph who is zero for 99

I was relying on memory from something I read a while ago. Things change; some don't (for jimb, they don;t).

Some people are still stupid and their posts prove that nearly daily.
JP4Fun

Postby bigtoughralf on Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:03 pm

I like how I criticise this bread company's cynical use of native Hawaiian culture to generate sales for its products, and your response is 'it's okay because Hawaii grows sugar'. And then you were wrong about that anyway.

https://www.unicef.org.uk/donate/children-in-gaza-crisis-appeal/

https://www.savethechildren.org.uk/how-you-can-help/emergencies/gaza-crisis
Lieutenant bigtoughralf

Postby saxitoxin on Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:43 pm

I was in Maui before the pandemic for a family member's funeral. It was my second time in Hawaii but only first time on Maui. The island appeared to be split between national park, shaved ice stands, and Oprah Winfrey's estate.

I think Kurt Vonnegut, Jr. once wrote a story in which all of Hawaii is owned by 50 people, so the Hawaiian government gives everyone else a helium balloon to float above the Earth in so they can continue living there without trespassing on private property.
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby jimboston on Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:17 pm

bigtoughralf wrote:I like how I criticise this bread company's cynical use of native Hawaiian culture to generate sales for its products, and your response is 'it's okay because Hawaii grows sugar'. And then you were wrong about that anyway.

… and the bread may be just one example of the use of their culture for capitalistic gains.

Isn’t their biggest “product”, i.e. tourism, also related to the cynical use of their culture?
Obviously also driven by their beaches and weather… but a lot of the ‘dressing’ of their tourism is related to cultural exploitation.

So your idea has additional meanings that JP4 can’t grasp and will argue with.
Private 1st Class jimboston

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,