Conquer Club

Dear LeBron James

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Dear LeBron James

Postby betiko on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:32 pm

I'v been a Spurs fan since I was a kid way before the first title (David Robinson, Sean Eliott, Avery Johnson, Vinny Del Negro and all that) and I think this is the year. We only win titles on odd years, and 2013 sounds good!! ;)

also we have 3 french players this season! ;)
Major betiko

Postby Army of GOD on Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:19 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:(1) Red Sox were shit in the 90s. I like them because my favorite color is red. I don't see how that is much different than liking a Philly team for living in Philly. Both are childish.

(2) Broncos won back to back Super Bowls in 97 and 98, ok, but I was 6 and 7 at the time...I hardly understood fandom at the time. But trust me, I remember the Brian Griese/Jake Plummer era.

(3) Penguins won the year I was born and the year after. I literally wasn't capable of thought at the time. Jagr and Kovalev were my favorite players at the time. But trust me, I remember the early 00s (recall that they were about the worst team in the league then and I was 11-14).

Sorry, doesn't fly with me. Like I said, you can root for those teams, but there is a limit to the rooting you can do. You cannot, for example, talk shit.

It sucks that Westbrook is out. The Thunder aren't as good as they were last year now that they're Harden-less but it would have been another great Finals (assuming the Heat and Thunder both got there).

Also, fucking Steph Curry.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:51 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:(1) Red Sox were shit in the 90s. I like them because my favorite color is red. I don't see how that is much different than liking a Philly team for living in Philly. Both are childish.

(2) Broncos won back to back Super Bowls in 97 and 98, ok, but I was 6 and 7 at the time...I hardly understood fandom at the time. But trust me, I remember the Brian Griese/Jake Plummer era.

(3) Penguins won the year I was born and the year after. I literally wasn't capable of thought at the time. Jagr and Kovalev were my favorite players at the time. But trust me, I remember the early 00s (recall that they were about the worst team in the league then and I was 11-14).

Sorry, doesn't fly with me. Like I said, you can root for those teams, but there is a limit to the rooting you can do. You cannot, for example, talk shit.

So, AoG has to restrict his rooting by 13%?

Sure.

For someone that doesn't care about sports and gives shit to others for caring about sports, you sure spend a lot of time here.

Does this mean I can increase my rooting by 68%?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Serbia on Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:31 pm

I'm a Detroit sports fan, ftr. Pistons are out, and I don't care.
Not a basketball fan. Mostly, when I watch basketball, it's so I can hate those I hate. I hate Miami most of all, currently. I used to hate the Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, Cavs, and Bulls, at various times. I currently sorta like Golden State and the Clippers, even though I typically hate California sports; I only like those two because they usually suck, but are doing well in the playoffs right now. My perfect finals would be Indiana vs. Golden State, with the Pacers winning.

Bollocks.
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby Gillipig on Thu May 02, 2013 8:59 am

What team did he play in, Lakers?
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Army of GOD on Thu May 02, 2013 3:34 pm

Thunder are nothing without Westbrook...Durant is pretty much like Lebron in Cleveland now.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby nietzsche on Sat May 04, 2013 12:51 pm

Talking of Bandwagoning.

This upsets me. Say I live in Shitty city, do I have to root for that team even though they always lose? WTF

I like the RedSox. And I didn't like the Redsox before the championships. But the truth is I've never really liked only one team in MLB, I used to follow teams with Mexican players, and towards the Playoffs I would pick the team that 'felt better', that I liked some of the players.. I did have a poster of Clemens with Boston as a kid. When I was a kid I liked the A's, and was pretty upset when they lost to the Reds in 4, got hats and all.

I'm upset about Redsox trading Gonzo away but got fond of the NESN comentators, they are stupid and silly, and I also really like some players like Bucholz and Nava and Middlebrooks, Pedroia is good but he's to dwarfish, and he's always got this expression of discomfort on his face... So probably will stay a RedSox fan for a while, until some other team wins my heart.

Does that make me a bandwagon fan? If so, f*ck you.
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby oVo on Mon May 06, 2013 1:12 pm

The Thunder have been a fun team to watch, but without Westbrook for the remainder of the playoffs I anticipate the Spurs winning the West. It was surprising watching the Pacers take Game 1 on the Knicks home court. The number of close games in these early rounds has also been a surprise, but I'm not sure anyone can dethrone the Heat in the East.
hometeam fandome:
I was never a Cowboys fan, ever... until the Jimmy Johnson era and the influx of new players that only won a single game their first season. Recent versions of this team are underachievers, but I still like Romo. Been pulling for the Texas Rangers for many years, so their recent success has been a joy, but I miss Michael Young. Rooting for the Mavs has always been masochistic endeavor and it sucks that they finally had a good center and didn't manage a contract offer to keep him.

I do like seeing young players do well in all sports and have a tendency to pull for underdogs. Always liked the Steelers and still found myself pulling for the Cardinals in their Superbowl matchup... a game they should have won.
Major oVo

Postby ManBungalow on Mon May 06, 2013 1:32 pm

I have no idea what's going on in this thread.
Colonel ManBungalow

Postby Frigidus on Mon May 06, 2013 2:13 pm

nietzsche wrote:Talking of Bandwagoning.

This upsets me. Say I live in Shitty city, do I have to root for that team even though they always lose? WTF

I like the RedSox. And I didn't like the Redsox before the championships. But the truth is I've never really liked only one team in MLB, I used to follow teams with Mexican players, and towards the Playoffs I would pick the team that 'felt better', that I liked some of the players.. I did have a poster of Clemens with Boston as a kid. When I was a kid I liked the A's, and was pretty upset when they lost to the Reds in 4, got hats and all.

I'm upset about Redsox trading Gonzo away but got fond of the NESN comentators, they are stupid and silly, and I also really like some players like Bucholz and Nava and Middlebrooks, Pedroia is good but he's to dwarfish, and he's always got this expression of discomfort on his face... So probably will stay a RedSox fan for a while, until some other team wins my heart.

I hate to say it, but if you can honestly say that you're going to stop cheering for the team you're currently a fan of when a better one comes along you're a bandwagon fan. In my mind the way that you come to a team isn't really as important as the way you stick with them.
Sergeant Frigidus

Postby Lootifer on Mon May 06, 2013 4:44 pm

So long as you have a reason over and above "'cause they're winning" then you are not a bandwagoning fan. And even "'cause they are winning" is reasonable so long as thats not your primary reason for supporting them.

For example; I support the Waikato Chiefs in the Super 15 rugby competition. This is because one of the feeder teams for the franchise is based where I grew up. Up until a few years a ago the chiefs sucked, like really bad. I still kinda supported them, but its fair to say I didnt watch a lot of their rugby and at the time mostly supported another more successful team which was based out of the city in which I was studying at the time. I dont see this as bandwagoning; I see it simply as rational behaviour. Why invest your emotions into something that is only going to dissapoint?
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby nietzsche on Mon May 06, 2013 6:41 pm

Frigidus wrote:

I hate to say it, but if you can honestly say that you're going to stop cheering for the team you're currently a fan of when a better one comes along you're a bandwagon fan. In my mind the way that you come to a team isn't really as important as the way you stick with them.

I like Maugena better...
General nietzsche

Postby Frigidus on Mon May 06, 2013 9:36 pm

nietzsche wrote:
Frigidus wrote:

I like Maugena better...

I'll let him know.
Sergeant Frigidus

Postby Crazyirishman on Mon May 06, 2013 10:50 pm

So when are you sending your letter to LeBron James?
Captain Crazyirishman

Re: NBA Playoffs

Postby oVo on Mon May 06, 2013 10:53 pm

Loot... I like the 7s best.

btw... all four playoff series are now 1-1
Major oVo

Postby Army of GOD on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:46 pm

Back to back.

Lebron is one of three players in history to get back to back regular season MVPs/championships (Jordan and Russell were the others). Wade is building his own legacy, hopefully he'll end with as many rings as Kobe so that he'll be considered better. Bosh, who has similar stats to KG who's pretty much regarded as a HoFer is building his own case. Spo is prety much in the HoF right now too.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:37 am

thegreekdog wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:I have been a Penguins, Broncos and Red Sox fan since the 90s

Wait a second...

Seriously dude. You are the definition of a bandwagon fan. All of teams were good and/or won championships at that period of time. Unless you have a good reason to be fans of those teams that have nothing to do with (1) their winning ways or (2) a player you like who is really awesome, then you are hereby shunned.

I'm not sure I agree with that logic. I am a Lakers fan back from the days of SHOWTIME! They certainly were "the shit" back then, and they haven't had a lot of awful seasons since...but I became a fan of them because of their STYLE of play. They were just plain fun to watch. Likewise, I have been a long-time fan of the baseball Cardinals, since the days of Whitey Herzog and the run and fun gang (and Ozzie Smith, the greatest defensive player of all time, shut up!). They likewise haven't had many awful seasons since then. I suppose to balance that out, I've been a football Cardinals fan since the days of Jim Hart...and they haven't had many winning seasons, and I was a bit of a Marlins fan when I lived in Florida and they had a minor league team in the town I lived in, so I was able to watch them grow a bit (this was in their very early days when they absolutely sucked...but Jeff Conine The Barbarian was a stud).

I have no problem bragging about my being a fan of any of those teams, and I don't consider myself a bandwagonner simply because, despite their long-time success, I have remained a fan over the long term.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby nietzsche on Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:05 am

Speaking of bandwagon, I think I'll support the Cards this season.

Yes, I'd suck Yadier Molina's dick if I had him in front of me right now.
General nietzsche

Postby betiko on Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:14 am

Dear lebron, f*ck off.
Major betiko

Postby thegreekdog on Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:49 am

Woodruff wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Army of GOD wrote:I have been a Penguins, Broncos and Red Sox fan since the 90s

Wait a second...

Seriously dude. You are the definition of a bandwagon fan. All of teams were good and/or won championships at that period of time. Unless you have a good reason to be fans of those teams that have nothing to do with (1) their winning ways or (2) a player you like who is really awesome, then you are hereby shunned.

I'm not sure I agree with that logic. I am a Lakers fan back from the days of SHOWTIME! They certainly were "the shit" back then, and they haven't had a lot of awful seasons since...but I became a fan of them because of their STYLE of play. They were just plain fun to watch. Likewise, I have been a long-time fan of the baseball Cardinals, since the days of Whitey Herzog and the run and fun gang (and Ozzie Smith, the greatest defensive player of all time, shut up!). They likewise haven't had many awful seasons since then. I suppose to balance that out, I've been a football Cardinals fan since the days of Jim Hart...and they haven't had many winning seasons, and I was a bit of a Marlins fan when I lived in Florida and they had a minor league team in the town I lived in, so I was able to watch them grow a bit (this was in their very early days when they absolutely sucked...but Jeff Conine The Barbarian was a stud).

I have no problem bragging about my being a fan of any of those teams, and I don't consider myself a bandwagonner simply because, despite their long-time success, I have remained a fan over the long term.

Let's parse this out about. We'll start with the Lakers. I can only assume you're from the midwest (but correct me if I'm wrong). The Lakers are a bandwagon team, but you probably didn't have a viable option to choose from. Their "awful seasons" are few and far between so I'm not accepting that as legitimate. They went from Magic, Kareem, Worthy to Shaq and Kobe pretty quickly (if we compare to other basketball teams).

Cardinals make sense if you're from the midwest. I would also have accepted the Royals. I'm okay with the Marlins too, to an extent, especially since you're familiar with Jeff Conine.

Finally, on your last paragraph, if Nightstrike brags about the Cardinals or serbia brags about the Tigers, there is no response from anyone that could denigrate their bragging. When AoG brags about the Miami Heat or the Boston Red Sox, there is a response: it's "you're a bandwagoneer" and then he can be roundly ignored. In my opinion (biased though it is), part of being a sports fan is being invested in the team through good times and bad. I was proud in 2008 because I liked the Phillies since I was born and had to suffer through Rico Brogna being the savior at first base and the 1993 World Series (with my favorite player of all time, John Kruk) and Robert Person being the ace of the staff. I know a lot of players from those teams. Can AoG name ten Red Sox players from the early 1990s? Can AoG name the starting five for the Heat in 1998-1999? Then he didn't really suffer through those years; he just didn't watch his "favorite" teams. And then when they got good, he started being a huge fan.

There is a pecking order of sports fans. At the top of the pecking order is a person who likes every team from every sport in his hometown. That's me (they call me a "four for four guy" because I like the Phillies, Sixers, Flyers, and Eagles) and serbia and Night Strike. Next is the person who likes some teams from his town, but not all (e.g. my brother, who doesn't watch hockey, so doesn't root for the Flyers, but he roots for the other three major sports teams). Third on the list is the transitory person who doesn't really have a hometown option, but will root for teams in his current city (you may fall in here). Fourth is the guy who is from an area with major sports franchises (for example, AoG, from New York) who likes whatever team catches his fancy.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Army of GOD on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:13 am

tgd, I was BORN in the 90s. I don't think you understand that I was pretty much incapable of compound thinking until the early 00s.

If you can name 10 Phillies players from when you 4 years old then will your point be valid.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby oVo on Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:03 pm

The "Home Town" team concept is interesting, since the players on pro franchises
all come from someplace else. Most are like mercenaries chasing a paycheck from
the highest bidder and it's rare for an athlete to play for his/her hometown team.

I grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio and have never forgotten Frank Robinson, Vada Pinson,
Johnny Bench or the pitcher Bob Purkey (who sponsored my little league team)...
Oscar Robertson, Jim Brown, Lou Groza and a host of others. Not to mention all
the guys on rival teams.

Sandy Kaufax... Whitey Ford... Bob Gibson...

I piece of me always hangs with those teams, but young teams full of rookies
who come of age also get my attention. When I moved to Dallas the Cowboys
were nothing to me and watching Walter Peyton's Bears dismantle them in
Texas Stadium 40-0 was a treat. The changing of the guard with Jimmy Johnson
and a 1-15 season turned that around and I've been pulling for them ever since.
Major oVo

Postby oVo on Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:06 pm

btw... James & Wade played big last night, with great support from Battier & Co.
It was a great series by the two best teams in the NBA and the sportsmanship
exhibited when it ended was also exceptional.
Major oVo

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:59 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Woodruff wrote:I'm not sure I agree with that logic. I am a Lakers fan back from the days of SHOWTIME! They certainly were "the shit" back then, and they haven't had a lot of awful seasons since...but I became a fan of them because of their STYLE of play. They were just plain fun to watch. Likewise, I have been a long-time fan of the baseball Cardinals, since the days of Whitey Herzog and the run and fun gang (and Ozzie Smith, the greatest defensive player of all time, shut up!). They likewise haven't had many awful seasons since then. I suppose to balance that out, I've been a football Cardinals fan since the days of Jim Hart...and they haven't had many winning seasons, and I was a bit of a Marlins fan when I lived in Florida and they had a minor league team in the town I lived in, so I was able to watch them grow a bit (this was in their very early days when they absolutely sucked...but Jeff Conine The Barbarian was a stud).

Let's parse this out about. We'll start with the Lakers. I can only assume you're from the midwest (but correct me if I'm wrong).

I am indeed...I grew up in Nebraska.

thegreekdog wrote:The Lakers are a bandwagon team, but you probably didn't have a viable option to choose from. Their "awful seasons" are few and far between so I'm not accepting that as legitimate. They went from Magic, Kareem, Worthy to Shaq and Kobe pretty quickly (if we compare to other basketball teams).

Were the Kings still in Kansas City then? I honestly don't know.

thegreekdog wrote:Cardinals make sense if you're from the midwest. I would also have accepted the Royals. I'm okay with the Marlins too, to an extent, especially since you're familiar with Jeff Conine.

Yeah, the Marlins were in their bad years, so it would be hard to call that a bandwagon. Well...their bad years before their one good year before the rest of their bad years. <grin> But I quit being a Marlins fan once I moved away from Florida.

thegreekdog wrote:In my opinion (biased though it is), part of being a sports fan is being invested in the team through good times and bad.

Sure, I can absolutely agree with that.

thegreekdog wrote:There is a pecking order of sports fans. At the top of the pecking order is a person who likes every team from every sport in his hometown. That's me (they call me a "four for four guy" because I like the Phillies, Sixers, Flyers, and Eagles) and serbia and Night Strike. Next is the person who likes some teams from his town, but not all (e.g. my brother, who doesn't watch hockey, so doesn't root for the Flyers, but he roots for the other three major sports teams). Third on the list is the transitory person who doesn't really have a hometown option, but will root for teams in his current city (you may fall in here). Fourth is the guy who is from an area with major sports franchises (for example, AoG, from New York) who likes whatever team catches his fancy.

None of this even makes sense to me other than the last part (I agree with you as far as that part of the bandwagonner). If an individual is a lifetime fan, that's just as valid to me as someone who is a fan of "the hometown team". It doesn't make sense to me that one has to be follow ALL of the teams from the hometown in order to be a "top tier fan", particularly when, like your brother's case, he just doesn't like that sport (hockey does suck). And I find the definition you used earlier for a bandwagon fan to be very off-base.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:02 pm

Army of GOD wrote:tgd, I was BORN in the 90s. I don't think you understand that I was pretty much incapable of compound thinking until the early 00s.

If you can name 10 Phillies players from when you 4 years old then will your point be valid.

I can do that for the baseball and football Cardinals as well as the Lakers, and I wasn't even a fan of theirs then. For me anyway, that's part of the territory of being a fan...you learn about the history.

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,